Code of Conduct

Thread: Tuberose

Default Tuberose

After receiving my sample of Carnal Flower, I fell in love with what I thought could only be the scent of tuberose since this fragrance apparently has the largest concentration of tuberose of any other fragrance. However, I later received a sample of Fracas and could barely detect the same scent. Is there something else going on in Carnal Flower that is drawing my nose so magnetically to my wrist? Or is my nose completely insensitive and therefore unable to detect tuberose in Fracas? Until this point I thought that my nose was fairly sensitive, even if not well-trained yet. Perhaps I have longer to go than I thought before I can recognize the nuances so many of you seem to pick out!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tuberose

Quote Originally Posted by artnouveau View Post
    After receiving my sample of Carnal Flower, I fell in love with what I thought could only be the scent of tuberose since this fragrance apparently has the largest concentration of tuberose of any other fragrance. However, I later received a sample of Fracas and could barely detect the same scent. Is there something else going on in Carnal Flower that is drawing my nose so magnetically to my wrist? Or is my nose completely insensitive and therefore unable to detect tuberose in Fracas? Until this point I thought that my nose was fairly sensitive, even if not well-trained yet. Perhaps I have longer to go than I thought before I can recognize the nuances so many of you seem to pick out!
    I have not smelled Fracas, but I can say that, having smelled both the living flower and the tuberose absolute perfumers use, Carnal Flower is the closest perfume to the real thing I have tried. Truly stunning.

Off-Scenter

The tuberose in Carnal Flower is very much "alive." It's also enhanced by green notes, coconut, and the merest touch of eucalyptus. To my nose, Fracas is a far heavier, sweeter and busier fragrance, with many more indolic white flowers (jasmine, orange blossom, narcissuss...) along with the tuberose in its composition. Nevertheless, I do smell the tuberose in Fracas very clearly.

Post Thanks / Like

Fracas is tuberose, jasmine and gardenia, Carnal Flower is just tuberose. Fracas can be a little over-the-top, in a wonderful way. Carnal Flower is lighter, I think but truer to the blooms.

For me there is nothing truer to the flower, however than Tubereuse Criminelle (after the top notes go away, that is)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tmp00 View Post
    Fracas is tuberose, jasmine and gardenia, Carnal Flower is just tuberose. Fracas can be a little over-the-top, in a wonderful way. Carnal Flower is lighter, I think but truer to the blooms.

For me there is nothing truer to the flower, however than Tubereuse Criminelle (after the top notes go away, that is)
    I sort of like the top notes to TC now! I was horrified at first though.

For me, Carnal Flower is heavy on the coconut smell...so maybe that's the difference you're smelling? I can detect the tuberose in both...maybe you should order a sample of tuberose essential oil to get acquainted. That always helps me.

I wonder if I got a bad sample of Fracas? It was not strong at all-- in fact, it seemed rather muted and the notes didn't distinguish themselves much. Any advice for how to get reliable samples?

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    I sort of like the top notes to TC now! I was horrified at first though.

For me, Carnal Flower is heavy on the coconut smell...so maybe that's the difference you're smelling? I can detect the tuberose in both...maybe you should order a sample of tuberose essential oil to get acquainted. That always helps me.
    I too have learned to love the top notes (and the persistent touch of menthol) in Tubereuse Criminelle. They keep the potentially overwhelming tuberose note bouyant while helping make the fragrance much more wearable for men. I think of Tubereuse Criminelle as my "summer tuberose."

Post Thanks / Like

While Carnal Flower has a high concentration of tuberose, it lacks the "rubbery" smell that tuberoses give off at times - maybe it was removed to make it more "pleasant" smelling.
    -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    I too have learned to love the top notes (and the persistent touch of menthol) in Tubereuse Criminelle. They keep the potentially overwhelming tuberose note bouyant while helping make the fragrance much more wearable for men. I think of Tubereuse Criminelle as my "summer tuberose."
    I don't think I would like it without that camphorous note...it definitely makes it more wearable for a man.