Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Tuberose

  1. #1

    Default Tuberose

    After receiving my sample of Carnal Flower, I fell in love with what I thought could only be the scent of tuberose since this fragrance apparently has the largest concentration of tuberose of any other fragrance. However, I later received a sample of Fracas and could barely detect the same scent. Is there something else going on in Carnal Flower that is drawing my nose so magnetically to my wrist? Or is my nose completely insensitive and therefore unable to detect tuberose in Fracas? Until this point I thought that my nose was fairly sensitive, even if not well-trained yet. Perhaps I have longer to go than I thought before I can recognize the nuances so many of you seem to pick out!

  2. #2
    Sugandaraja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    6,392
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Tuberose

    Quote Originally Posted by artnouveau View Post
    After receiving my sample of Carnal Flower, I fell in love with what I thought could only be the scent of tuberose since this fragrance apparently has the largest concentration of tuberose of any other fragrance. However, I later received a sample of Fracas and could barely detect the same scent. Is there something else going on in Carnal Flower that is drawing my nose so magnetically to my wrist? Or is my nose completely insensitive and therefore unable to detect tuberose in Fracas? Until this point I thought that my nose was fairly sensitive, even if not well-trained yet. Perhaps I have longer to go than I thought before I can recognize the nuances so many of you seem to pick out!
    I have not smelled Fracas, but I can say that, having smelled both the living flower and the tuberose absolute perfumers use, Carnal Flower is the closest perfume to the real thing I have tried. Truly stunning.

  3. #3
    Off-Scenter
    Guest

    Default Re: Tuberose

    The tuberose in Carnal Flower is very much "alive." It's also enhanced by green notes, coconut, and the merest touch of eucalyptus. To my nose, Fracas is a far heavier, sweeter and busier fragrance, with many more indolic white flowers (jasmine, orange blossom, narcissuss...) along with the tuberose in its composition. Nevertheless, I do smell the tuberose in Fracas very clearly.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Beverly Hills, California
    Posts
    1,510
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Tuberose

    Fracas is tuberose, jasmine and gardenia, Carnal Flower is just tuberose. Fracas can be a little over-the-top, in a wonderful way. Carnal Flower is lighter, I think but truer to the blooms.

    For me there is nothing truer to the flower, however than Tubereuse Criminelle (after the top notes go away, that is)

  5. #5
    Dane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,887
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Tuberose

    Quote Originally Posted by tmp00 View Post
    Fracas is tuberose, jasmine and gardenia, Carnal Flower is just tuberose. Fracas can be a little over-the-top, in a wonderful way. Carnal Flower is lighter, I think but truer to the blooms.

    For me there is nothing truer to the flower, however than Tubereuse Criminelle (after the top notes go away, that is)
    I sort of like the top notes to TC now! I was horrified at first though.

    For me, Carnal Flower is heavy on the coconut smell...so maybe that's the difference you're smelling? I can detect the tuberose in both...maybe you should order a sample of tuberose essential oil to get acquainted. That always helps me.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Tuberose

    I wonder if I got a bad sample of Fracas? It was not strong at all-- in fact, it seemed rather muted and the notes didn't distinguish themselves much. Any advice for how to get reliable samples?

  7. #7
    Off-Scenter
    Guest

    Default Re: Tuberose

    Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    I sort of like the top notes to TC now! I was horrified at first though.

    For me, Carnal Flower is heavy on the coconut smell...so maybe that's the difference you're smelling? I can detect the tuberose in both...maybe you should order a sample of tuberose essential oil to get acquainted. That always helps me.
    I too have learned to love the top notes (and the persistent touch of menthol) in Tubereuse Criminelle. They keep the potentially overwhelming tuberose note bouyant while helping make the fragrance much more wearable for men. I think of Tubereuse Criminelle as my "summer tuberose."

  8. #8
    zztopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    the Dirty South
    Posts
    6,632
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Tuberose

    While Carnal Flower has a high concentration of tuberose, it lacks the "rubbery" smell that tuberoses give off at times - maybe it was removed to make it more "pleasant" smelling.
    -

  9. #9
    Dane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,887
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Tuberose

    Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    I too have learned to love the top notes (and the persistent touch of menthol) in Tubereuse Criminelle. They keep the potentially overwhelming tuberose note bouyant while helping make the fragrance much more wearable for men. I think of Tubereuse Criminelle as my "summer tuberose."
    I don't think I would like it without that camphorous note...it definitely makes it more wearable for a man.

Similar Threads

  1. what does tuberose smell like?
    By robyn8 in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 14th May 2013, 05:43 PM
  2. Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia by Estee Lauder - a review
    By mikeperez23 in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 25th March 2008, 02:53 PM
  3. A rubbery, talcum, meaty fragrant typhoon
    By zztopp in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 8th February 2008, 06:18 PM
  4. Tuberose Absolute
    By chengfun in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 7th November 2007, 01:09 PM
  5. Which tuberose
    By annickaddict in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 8th October 2005, 06:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •