Code of Conduct

Default I like florals?!?!?!

Could it be? How many of you have found that all assumptions are meaningless when it comes to body chemistry compatibility and that perfume descriptions sometimes lure us only to find the promise is empty.

Since I'm new to this, i've been doing a lot of exploring lately. Originally, when pondering which fragrance family would become my kin, I assumed it'd be "oriental." Afterall, travel is one of my favorite things. I love all things exotic, multi-cultural, spicey, adventurous, earthy and deep... this family would surely adopt me! And although I am finding there are many orientals I deeply appreciate, there are many that I find too heavy, cloying or mature.

My exploration also included musks-- down-to-earth, sensual, natural skin scents. And many of these do seem to work for me. However musks seem to fit into many families and differ in their expression from one perfume to another. They seem to travel from family to family-- never fully belonging to one. I'll keep trying these since I still have some of "the greats" or "classics" to try like Musc Ravageur and Kiehl's which are more "musk" than anything else....

I also have tried to fit into the chypre family. Hiking is one of my favorite activities-- much because I LOVE the smells of moss, downed leaves and warm earth. Yet few in this family seems true to their roots and some of these seem to border on "old lady" scents. So, though I love smelling them, I keep wishing this family had a bit more sensuality in it's genes. Although I do find that I like the new chypres (again, I assumed I wouldn't-- I assumed they'd be a cheap shadow of hte original). Although everyone wears it, I like Lovely (yikes) and I really enjoy Ralph Lauren's Pure Turquoise and Narciso for Her. Funny thing is that even when I admitted I liked this family, I assumed I'd like Agent Provacateur the best, because of it's description. And though I've tried it multiple times, Agent Provocateur did not work on me-- smelled like hairspray.

Here's where we get to the subject-- I keep noticing I fall for scents which are actually in the floral family. I assumed this would be the last family I'd choose-- too trite, too pink, too obvious, too girly, too cloying... right? But then I sniff Creed's Spring Flowers (in actual pink packaging) and find myself strangely drawn in. And I get my sample of Carnal Flower and adore the creamy yet green, sensual yet fresh scent. And I remember that I love jasmine and lilies, too... hmmmm.... all that I assumed is slowing shattering around me... now where do I start?

Default Re: I like florals?!?!?!

In my fairly limited experience I've found myself utterly surprised about what I like and what I don't. Frederic Malle's much loved Fleur De Cassie smells like a perfumed woman in a smoggy city to me, yet the much maligned French Lover is a lovely Mediterranean forest to my nose. Some perfumes change with wearing, either to reveal a more beautiful form or to dig up an unpleasant surprise. I try to always sample for this reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    In my fairly limited experience I've found myself utterly surprised about what I like and what I don't. Frederic Malle's much loved Fleur De Cassie smells like a perfumed woman in a smoggy city to me, yet the much maligned French Lover is a lovely Mediterranean forest to my nose. Some perfumes change with wearing, either to reveal a more beautiful form or to dig up an unpleasant surprise. I try to always sample for this reason.
    Agreed...when reading descriptions or seeing the "family" designation...I automatically think I'm going to love or hate something. You never really know until you try.

Whodathunk that Mitsouko, a peachy-chypre would become one of my favourites.

I agree with all of the above
    but the most interesting part
    of all to me, is when I start out
    not liking a scent at all
    and then out of the blue it
    just starts to work it's magic
    and before you know it
    you're in love

so I guess
    my advise is
    never say never
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

Quote Originally Posted by artnouveau View Post
    .... I keep noticing I fall for scents which are actually in the floral family. all that I assumed is slowing shattering around me... now where do I start?
    You've already started!! Just keep on truckin'!!!
    :bounce:
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Indeed. When I discovered Basenotes I liked gourmands and fruity scents, and stuck mostly to those. I thought I hated musks, yet over time I came to love them. I discovered leather, and realised that no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't enjoy green scents (yet I never say never too, and perhaps there's a green scent out there with my name on it. Who knows?)

Whenever I tell my husband I assumed something to be true, after making a mistake, he says, "You ass-umed?"

I would suggest the following:
    You start by narrowing it down to Creed florals.
    You read a bunch of reviews about them.
    And you order samples.
    Lots of samples.
    Then you try different houses, more florals.
    (Ask for recommendations here, we are an opinionated group. LOL.)
    Welcome to the journey--it is never over, and getting there is half the fun.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

artnouveau, I appreciate how you've presented your observation. If it were easy to zero in on the few frags we love, we wouldn't need basenotes, now would we?
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.