Code of Conduct

Thread: Hair Tonic??

Default Hair Tonic??

I was watching some old cartoons and television shows recently (Popeye and The Three Stooges) and the use of hair tonics caught my eye. Has anyone ever used any? If so, what are they like?

Thanks.
    You are not your perfume.

Default Re: Hair Tonic??

I have virtually all of the Pashana hair tonics with oil and use them daily. I really love the smell and how it makes my hair feel. My favourite is Pashana Original Brilliantine, which is heavy on the oil and gives my hair a nice sheen and soft feel without becoming greasy ( I only use a few drops).

I used to get dandruff in the winter because of a dry, itchy scalp. Now I no longer have this problem. I feel that the oil is great for softening the hair and moisturising the scalp.

Interesting. I remember seeing those advertised on QED. I should check it out, simply for old school flavour.

Thanks!

There isn't any "hair tonic" that actually makes hair grow, is there? Well, Rogaine, I guess!
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Rogaine? Come on, man! Naw, hair tonic is a grooming product. lol.

Don't you remember in the classic cartoons where a character would splash "hair tonic" on themselves, and magically, hair would immediately start growing?
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

What kind of hair is most suitable for tonic? Whilst I have a full head of hair, it's very fine and very straight. I've tried a couple of products other than gel in the past (pastes, pomades) and they always leave my hair looking like I haven't washed it. Oily and limp. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    Don't you remember in the classic cartoons where a character would splash "hair tonic" on themselves, and magically, hair would immediately start growing?
    Oh, that's right!! Sorry about that. I know exactly what you are talking about. All of those scenes in the barber shop were classic.

Russ, I know exactly what you are talking about. I used to use Tres Flores pomade and it just left my hair looking oily. Now I don't use anything at all, which is fine if I keep my hair short. I would like to find something classic that I can use, without looking like a grease ball.
    Last edited by Nicolas V; 1st December 2007 at 09:14 PM.

Dependent

some of you living in the state as I do will remember the Clubman brand and several other barbershop staples

http://www.thegentsshop.com/store/menhair.html
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 30th December 2007 at 04:28 PM.

We used to use Vitalis classic hair tonic back in boot camp (1981) When our hair was growing out, we'd put it on at night and wear our watch caps to bed to keep the new sprouts down. We--being most of the people in my company at Great Lakes Boot Camp. I don't think I'd go back to that oly stuff, but it was all that was available at the Navy Exchange at the time.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

Ok, I have been using pomade and my wife always says I put it on too thick. I am 48, thin hair and thinning on top. Dark brown, that is if I dont use the Just for Men to keep the grey out, mostly on the sides. I have it cut short and spike it on top to stand up a bit to give the illusion of thickness, as once it gets long, it lays flat and tends to have rows that show scalp more.

I have been thinking of Trumpers Hair Dressings, or Pashana, but dont know really what they do.

My hair needs some shine as it can be dullish looking left all alone. Hair spray works for hold, but with Psoriasis, have tried to stay away. Some Gels give me concrete head. I need a medium hold I guess. Some pastes or fibers give hold but no shine, a matte effect.

I use KMF or Fructis Pomades and was wondering if you men suggest something else. I have a small amount of Trumpers West Indian Lime Hair Cream and love the smell, but it has no shine and very light hold

Sam

i use the trumpers eucris tonic from time to time and i think it is quite nice...i also really enjoy the smell. beware, if over applied it will leave your hair very oily, but maybe worth a try for you

Got some Coronis coming, as I felt that the Eucris, with oil, might weigh it down a tad, since my hair is very, very fine, thin and is very short

Hair tonic is a broad term referring to any vague thing that can go in ur hair to do something.

At drugstores they sell Vitalis hair tonic.

It basically does nothing.

Use nothing or gel, mousse, wax, pomade, leave in conditioner, silicone serum etc