Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Comme des Garçons Luxe Patchouli - greed and immortelle-ity

The new Luxe Series from Comme des Garcons has gotten it's fair share of negative comments here on BN - mostly due to the fact that CdG [which in the past, represented cutting edge irony, minimalism and a strong hip quotient] seems to have backpedaled by introducing a 'luxury' line of fragrances right after they a) decided to discontinue a total of 13 scents, some that many BN member love and b) raised the prices and/or modified the bottles on the non-discontinued fragrances. If I remember correctly, scentemental decided to rename them the Greed Series.

I, like most of the 'CdG Fan Club members' here on BN, tend to overlook these things - after all CdG is a line that has been at the forefront of my introduction to BN. The first time I smelled the Incense Series I actually had a dream about them that night. No lie. They haunted me. They still do.

New fragrances from this line will always continue to fascinate me, regardless of packaging (the logo for their last scent Play was kindergarten-ish), wacko bottles (I am not the only one that hates the bottles that must lie flat) and prices (the Luxe Series are $265 and $285 for 45 ml!).

Patchouli:

The top notes of Patchouli are herbal, pungent and grainy in texture. Wonderfully earthy and very much like the smell of patchouli absolute oil which will either intrigue you (it did me) or bore you. No wacky perverted rubber 'Clockwork Orange' notes here...just patchouli. How very Santa Maria Novella of CdG, no?

The linear opening was followed by a dark cloud of softness - I must repeat what some of the reviews I've read said...this stuff has no sharp edges. It's masterfully blended. The seamless transitions feature oppoonax (I think?) and sandalwood but both of these are in the background and the patchouli is much more prominent. I got none of the oak or white pepper and honestly, I don't know how lovage smells. Do you? I didn't think so.

The dry down. Here's where I got the deja vu. Maybe it's just me (or and a strong coincidence ) but immortelle / maple syrup / curry notea seems to be popping up more and more in fragrances that I'm trying. Last week's testing of Fougere Bengale by Parfum d'Empire has it. Eau Noire by Dior of course has it. It's also at work in Arabie by Serge Lutens, Sables by Annick Goutal and here it is once again in Patchouli. It was even more strange that CdG doesn't list immortelle as a note. Is this an effect from the fenugreek note? Unlike the FB, the dry down is not chicken soup-y but is maple syrup / celery seed-ish. It's not as sweet as Sables (as Ruggles thread mentioned) but here's the thing: this note turns Patchouli into a very NON luxurious scent IMO.

As much as I let go of the patchouli stereotypical connotations that naturally pop up (health food stores, tofu, hippies, blah, blah, blah) it's even harder when you've got a curry-ish drydown like this does. It's like trying to wear a tuxedo and wearing Birkenstock sandals.

Note: I like immortelle notes. Eau Noire and it's celery seed on steroids fascinate me (when I first smelled EN at Neimans I was on my way to dinner and I sniffed my hand during the entire first course). Additionally, Fougere Bengale's immortelle note is much more complex: its cuddliness and drydown which went like this: green, sweet, herb, green, sweet, herb is utterly fascinating! CdG's Patchouli doesn't.

Sadly, I can't imagine purchasing a bottle of this. I could buy two bottles of Tom Ford for Men Extreme for the price of one of these!!. Honestly, I can't even imagine splitting a bottle of this. Let's do the math: $285 divided by 4 people = $70 for a little over 10 ml. WTF? As it is, my samples (the little itsy bitsy sample vials, 1/2 ml I think) cost $5 ea from Luckyscent. I bought two so I could really experience the scent - so I spent $10 on a SAMPLE of this stuff. A little ridiculous.

I'm glad to have experienced the opportunity to try this (supposedly it's the first patchouli fragrance that utilizes more Sumatran patchouli than any other). Owning it, however, seems not only unjustified, but silly.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 7th November 2007 at 02:10 AM.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Off-Scenter

Default Re: Comme des Garçons Luxe Patchouli - greed and immortelle-ity

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    ...I don't know how lovage smells. Do you? I didn't think so. ...
    Lovage smells a little bit like celery, but not as bright, with a very slight anise overtone and a touch of animalic mustiness. I've grown it for years.

i woudn't describe it as luxurious generally, but for a patcholi fan... i don't know, that was some awesome patchouli.
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors

and which are those 13 scents discontinued by CdG?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by whitechandoo View Post
    and which are those 13 scents discontinued by CdG?
    Red Series
    Sherbert Series
    Synthetic Series
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

So my beloved Jaisalmer will stick around for awhile after all? (fingers crossed)
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 7th November 2007 at 05:52 PM.

I think the Luxe series is just pandering to conspicuous consumption. It's certainly not that expensive because the ingredients are expensive. But at least they're honest about calling it the Luxe Series... it's obviously intended for prestige only.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    Lovage smells a little bit like celery, but not as bright, with a very slight anise overtone and a touch of animalic mustiness. I've grown it for years.
    OK - so then this is in the drydown...celery/anise mustiness. It's not the fenugreek, its the lovage.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    OK - so then this is in the drydown...celery/anise mustiness. It's not the fenugreek, its the lovage.
    Probably both.

Wow, three cheers for using the search function. I was just about to start a new thread, asking the very questions mikeperez23 asks here... I'm glad I searched I was curious what that herbal impression at the opening was and if it was tied into the slight curry feel (almost like immortelle in impression and weight to me) or if it's a separate entity. I also was curious how much you all believe that heavy herbal impression has to do with the patchouli in this as well.

The other question was, with fenugreek, are we dealing with the seeds or the leaves here, and/or most often in fragrances? I want to understaaand This could be desert island material for me folks, this LUXE Patchouli. I have had the sample for a while and have loved it for a while but I really haven't given it a huge go yet until today. I stuck my nose RIGHT UP TO IT the second I applied it and smelled herbs and leaves that smelled like some combo of black tea and tobacco but that quickly got whisked away in the more curried, rich, anise/patchouli moments. I guess I want to know which ingredients are responsible for these different impressions.

p.s. mike, I'm loving this review of yours. I mean, tuxedo and birkenstocks, exactly. The luxuriousness comes from the richness here for me... it's like, a rich dessert as opposed to a glass of champagne. Both are luxurious, in different ways.

I'm definitely learning that I am very attracted to this herbal vs. rich, almost syrupy curry impression... i mean, look at my favorites list... i need to go add dior eau noire, another big fav.
    Last edited by nthny; 13th November 2008 at 01:46 AM.

Profumum Ambra Aurea (a patchouli amber) seems to have that maple syrup note also, at least on first spray. Profumum is definitely luxe all the way from top to bottom, and they never had any intentions otherwise

Thanks Asha... I saw the picture of that a while ago on the Luckyscent sight and that deep red color is so beautiful and makes me imagine its a deeply rich fragrance. I can't wait to try it! Thanks.
    Last edited by nthny; 13th November 2008 at 03:25 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by nthny View Post
    Wow, three cheers for using the search function. I was just about to start a new thread, asking the very questions mikeperez23 asks here... I'm glad I searched I was curious what that herbal impression at the opening was and if it was tied into the slight curry feel (almost like immortelle in impression and weight to me) or if it's a separate entity. I also was curious how much you all believe that heavy herbal impression has to do with the patchouli in this as well.

The other question was, with fenugreek, are we dealing with the seeds or the leaves here, and/or most often in fragrances? I want to understaaand This could be desert island material for me folks, this LUXE Patchouli. I have had the sample for a while and have loved it for a while but I really haven't given it a huge go yet until today. I stuck my nose RIGHT UP TO IT the second I applied it and smelled herbs and leaves that smelled like some combo of black tea and tobacco but that quickly got whisked away in the more curried, rich, anise/patchouli moments. I guess I want to know which ingredients are responsible for these different impressions.

p.s. mike, I'm loving this review of yours. I mean, tuxedo and birkenstocks, exactly. The luxuriousness comes from the richness here for me... it's like, a rich dessert as opposed to a glass of champagne. Both are luxurious, in different ways.

I'm definitely learning that I am very attracted to this herbal vs. rich, almost syrupy curry impression... i mean, look at my favorites list... i need to go add dior eau noire, another big fav.
    Thanks nthny - I forgot about this review I did. Yeah a strange patchouli - I tend to be drawn toward more gourmand patchouli scents, and the CdG is so herbal.

If you like syrupy curry scents, please try the new El Attarine by Serge Lutens also.

thanks Mike. i've had my eye on it! .. so which is it? where is the herbal leafy element coming from, and where is the curry coming from?
    Last edited by nthny; 13th November 2008 at 03:54 PM.

My only problem with the LUXE Patchouli (excluding the price) is the lack of ooomph in the patchouli note itself... I would have thought that some rich patchouli would have singed my nasal passages, but instead it's a mix of patchouli, herbal, and woody notes. On the upside, for the price you get a very strong, long lasting fragrance. I found that I got almost two wears out of a 1ml sample.

not to belabor this point, and I'm sorry for offending anyone to whom this point may be redundant but I was not familiar with some of the notes in this soon to be favorite scent of mine... lovage, fenugreek, etc... so I have done some research and found that fenugreek gives a maple/curry effect. Just thought I'd put it out there for those who didn't know

One more bit of info: fenugreek comes from the latin for Greek hay... which is interesting because I was sure I smelled a sweet hay note not unlike dried alfalfa in this.
    Last edited by nthny; 13th November 2008 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    Profumum Ambra Aurea (a patchouli amber) seems to have that maple syrup note also, at least on first spray. Profumum is definitely luxe all the way from top to bottom, and they never had any intentions otherwise
    Yes. And also Profumum Fumidus...I still don't know quite how to describe this enough to write a review, but I get TONS of smoky saffron, with celery and green veggies (gotta be the vetiver). This smells like a delicious soupy paella! I think you would love this nthny!
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."