Code of Conduct

Question Gift suggestion for BF's Mom

Any thoughts, ladies? She is an amazing woman, stayed home and raised seven children, one foster child, a menagerie of pets, and has 21 grandchildren. Recently widowed, her hubby was a veteran and self made businessman who put all the children through college, two through med school. They were high school sweethearts.
    I just love her, she is warm, sweet, embracing and classy.
    And makes award winning chocolate chip cookies.

I'd like to make a classic scent part of my Christmas package to her.
    Two I am considering are Chanel no 5 edt, or a Jean Patou.
    Another thought was that she might like an Annick Goutal offering. I don't think she is heavily into scents, so something light or something classic that might bring back good memories for her is what I am searching for.

She was married in 1950 , I believe.

Looking forward to your suggestions, even if not mentioned above.
    Thank you in advance.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Off-Scenter

Default Re: Gift suggestion for BF's Mom

Joy might be a nice idea, though it is pricey. Among the classics, I have a soft spot for Diorissimo, which is just so pleasant and easy to wear.

I'm thinking maybe something nice from Guerlain like Mitsouko or Shalimar.
    Good luck, tell us what you decide on!

I was thinking a Chanel perfume too. You should find a way to bring up perfume in a conversation just to see what she likes. You can even hint around about the smell of flowers and fruits or something and not even mention perfume.

My moms loves Coco Mademoiselle. I recently let her smell my No.19 and now she wants that one too LOL! So, that's what she is getting this year.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Are you lucky enough to see her often? You could pepper her with samples tween now and the holidays and see what she seems to most like.

I'd go with jillsy on this one. I think Mitsouko would be great!

The first scent that I thought might fit was Chanel no 5,but maybe also Shalimar,Mitsouko like so many already mentioned....And what about L'heure bleue?

among the classics, I see perfect Joy and No. 5 of course along with Guerlain Samsara too. A classic jasmin trio definitely.
    If you want to go for something a bit more modern but still très chic, go for Cartier Le baisier du dragon edt: my mom loved it

I'm with Kyra on this one - samples are the way to go. Samples and a gift certificate - or a home-made certificate (that super-talented BF of yours!!) that inludes a meal or coffee and a joint trip to the frag counter. (You might end up with a goody for yourself! Sharing is SO good!!)

Buying full bottles of something that may not be quite right is a losing proposition all the way around - in my experience and in my opinion!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

My MIL and mother both enjoy having small sizes of things, so a really beautiful mini set might be nice, like a Chanel, Guerlain, Bvlgari or Dior coffret. They usually have some nice ones available for the holidays, Sephora has Bvlgari and Dior online and there's a coupon code listed in the discount section on board. Not sure who sells the Chanel, but I got one of those for Christmas two years ago and adore it.

Rather than choose one which she may or may not like and be too polite to tell you, how about going that route? Such pretty little bottles, too. My mom and MIL are approximately the same age as yours.

I’m with Kyra and Tao. Because scents are so personal and taste in fragrance—including my own—so wildly unpredictable, giving her samples and a gift certificate is a good idea. I test the waters of fragrance taste by giving samples and decants to those whom I am considering gifting with fragrance at some point in the future. I never would have guessed my dad with his penchant for aquatics and fresh scents would like Fumerie Turque for example.

Better yet, take her on a trip into the city and let her sniff her way through Aedes. Visiting Aedes is a divine experience and odds are pretty good she can find something there.
    Last edited by Sloan; 7th November 2007 at 03:20 PM.

Après l'Ondée parfum
    Joy parfum
    Shalimar parfum

Nina Ricci - Love In Paris, thats wat my mom wears. Also Gucci Accenti (discontinued i reckonz). And Chlóe !

I'm not sure what age she is, but if she was married in 1950 I would guess she is in her 70s. Women of that age from aspirational background (that I have spoken to) hold No.5 as the pinnacle. She will probably already be familiar with it and may well have associations, so I would find a way of checking it out first, but it could just be the perfect gift.

I'm not sure about samples, seems to be over doing it a bit in this situation; a bit too serious for what should be a light hearted gift of smelling good.

Chanel is a great house to gift from as it has retained its luxury image despite modern western affluence. Oh yes, and they make great perfumes too .
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 7th November 2007 at 08:45 PM.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I truly appreciate everyone's responses here. The idea of the sampling is a good one, but she lives out in Ohio and we rarely have a face to face opportunity.

I'm leaning a bit more and more to something from Chanel, I have seen those mini bottles too, and they are lovely. They recently had a parfum set for $80 that included no.5, Coco, Coco Mademoiselle, Gardenia and I can't remember what....

I do think no. 5 is a rather iconic perfume.

On a side note, I had a nice moment with my own Mom today where she compared Shalimar and Jicky on either wrists. She enjoyed both very much.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Tricky. If she's not into scents, take her shopping for someone else. Pretend you're Christmas shopping for YOUR mom, and see what she likes.
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

—from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay

I just GOTTA say.....I am 78 and had been wearing "classic" "iconic" all my life until I got to BaseNotes and you guys put me onto - like - Odeur 71 and now Pink Sugar (would you believe Fantasy and Miami Glow) and Avignon and the once-despised Tabu.

In other words my life was "confined" to what was safe and familiar until I was given the opportunity to explore. Joy and Mitsouko and L'Heure Bleue are still faves - but the box and the nose can still be thought and treated outside of. (Gr.???)

Samples could be sent from any of the good sample sources, with a follow-up bottle of the chosen scent.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

You could ask her what perfumes she likes and take it from there... I am just up front with my mother and mil, because they are at an age where buying them things they don't want or need doesn't make them very happy. I always tell them, "If you don't like this, let me know, no problem!" They do tell me, too, so I buy from places where returns aren't a hassle. Really, I don't mind.

I get your message, Tao Lady. No one likes to be kept in a box.

I shall let you all know of my final decision. I appreciate everyone sharing these thoughts and opinions.

Merci beaucoups!
    Last edited by rtamara41; 12th November 2007 at 12:31 AM.