Code of Conduct

Default What I love about splash bottles

You scent your hands.

Almost all of my bottles are sprays and if anyone asks I'll say I vastly prefer scents in spray bottles, but the rare times I use a splash bottle I get this extra joy. My palms smell fantastic, and every time I pick my nose, pick something from between my teeth, run my fingers through my hair, pick my ears, or bring the coffee cup to my lips, I can get a good whif of the scent beautifully mixed with my palm's natural oils of me.

I love this.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Default Re: What I love about splash bottles

What a poetic way of putting it, I just am usually afraid of over-doing it. But maybe I'll take the plunge and get my hands dirty.
    Oh please, if everyone around here is going to start telling the truth, I'm going to bed. - The House of Yes

and if you eat a donut, it wil taste like it.
    Last edited by eric; 7th November 2007 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    and if you eat a donut, it wil taste like it.

signed,
    Homer
    And if you're chopping up garlic and get that on your fingers, you'll get a very strange combination indeed! It might work rather tastily with some citrus scents though.

No serious, I like splash bottles too.
    Reminds me of a favorite uncle of mine, who's hands always smelled nice, of aftershave.Don't know what it was however. When I use splash bottles I always use my fingertip , and tip that at the beack of my neck etc.

With the Lutens Bottle however, I was afraid the little skincells or oils would contaminate the juice. And one thing I hate is floaters in my juice, when I hold it up against the light.

I bought a bottle of Musgo Real - Orange Amber Cologne this past weekend and it is in a splash bottle. After getting dried off from a shower on Saturday, I had a blast sloshing this stuff on. I felt like my grandfather with Aqua Velva. The smell was sharp and bracing and yes, the smell was on my hands for a couple of hours after. The pug, Trudie, must have liked it too. She tried to smell my hands continuously while I was watching football.

I hate classic discontinued scents in splash bottles - the quantity is limited and I end up wasting some of it. Sprayers for me all the way- I like to control where my juices land
    Last edited by zztopp; 7th November 2007 at 07:25 PM.
    -

I'm firmly in the spray camp.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

How do you properly apply from a splash bottle? I never figured this out.

Pour a little on the tips of your fingers and rub in around your chest and neck? Dab the bottle where you want the scent to be? Use a cotton ball? ARGH

I always took the easy way out and used a sprayer.

Splash bottles often look good. Vintage Jules for example. It makes a great aesthetic piece.

The first thing to do with a splash bottle is open it and immediately transfer the juice into a spray bottle, all the way to the top so there's no oxygen in it. Then never open it again.

You can still get the scented hand action by spraying the juice into your palms. It's the same difference. From there you can do all kinds of things.

Basenotes Institution

Great description of the 'splash' experience. I usually default to sprayers, but ever so often I can only get a splash (Caldey Island Lavender Water, for instance) and when I do apply it, the experience is pretty old school.

At my time here on BN, I've realized that the 'sprayer / splash' question is as polarizing as 'briefs or boxers'. I wear both.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    At my time here on BN, I've realized that the 'sprayer / splash' question is as polarizing as 'briefs or boxers'. I wear both.
    which goes under and which goes over?

me? i hate splash because it stresses me out that i'm wasting good frag, and wind up worrying about having it roll down my forearm and drip on the floor and oh my god before i know it i'd just rather not even use that bottle.

any "splash" bottles i get go into an atomizer almost immediately.

No No NO

I like splash the best, but don't waste the juice on your hands . If you put it on your hands half of it stays there. Think of your bottle as half as full as you see it. Splash directly onto your neck and torso. If you really have to spread it out or something, use the back of your arm but with practice this is hardly necessary.

Trumpers crown tops are PERFECT splashers.

I like the development of most frags better from splash than spray.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    every time I pick my nose, pick something from between my teeth, run my fingers through my hair, pick my ears, or bring the coffee cup to my lips, I can get a good whif of the scent beautifully mixed with my palm's natural oils of me.

I love this.
    (my bolding/italics)

Yeesh! a little TMI, maybe? I mean, I know we all do these things, but it's a bit jarring to see it all in writing. Or am I alone in getting a little weirded out by this?

Firmly in the spray camp, myself.

[quote=Bakerloo Line;1092871](my bolding/italics)

Yeesh! a little TMI, maybe? I mean, I know we all do these things, but it's a bit jarring to see it all in writing. Or am I alone in getting a little weirded out by this?

Firmly in the spray camp, myself.[/quote

I just hope he washes his hair when he gets home to get the nose and teeth pickings out and drinks his coffee carefully to avoid floating ear wax.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I like spray bottles, but I usually apply my cologne like this--

1 or 2 sprays to the chest, before I put my shirt on. Then I spray some of my SOTD into a sample vial to take with me, and often I'll dab just a little on my wrists and neck also.

I rarely ever spray my fragrances on my neck or anywhere exposed. I like the "under the shirt" option better for sprays-- though using splashes and vials helps with getting just that proper amount to your neck and wrists without making you reek from across a room.

Hi Chris,
    I've never actually thought of putting the splash EDT on my hands.

Instead I've always done what the bottles says and splashed. Which is what I hate about splash bottles - vastly inconsistent amounts of EDT sometimes running down to my belt line.

Usually, I tend to transfer the contents of splash bottles at intervals to a small atomizer, figuring that the less I open the bottle, the longer it will last.
    Renato

I love splash bottles as well, and for all the reasons mentioned. Honestly, even though there are times when it looks like too much is coming out, it always seems to be just the right amount; this is usually the case with my aftershaves. Indeed, the splash is a wonderful way to start the day.

I have never tried actually pouring the bottle onto my neck before, as mentioned in hirch_duckfinder's post. It sounds like a recipe for disaster. The ultimate overapplication, perhaps?
    You are not your perfume.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shalashaska View Post
    How do you properly apply from a splash bottle? I never figured this out.

Pour a little on the tips of your fingers and rub in around your chest and neck? Dab the bottle where you want the scent to be? Use a cotton ball? ARGH

I always took the easy way out and used a sprayer.
    Put a bit on the inside of your right wrist (where it won't stink up the wristband of your watch), and apply gently (don't rub) to the pulse points under each ear. Repeat until you reach the desired degree of scentedness.

When I used to put the scent on my hands and apply, I would immediately wash my hands to avoid getting the scent on them contaminated by everything else I touched, and vice versa. The hand splash thing is cool for weak scents like after shave, but it's murder on EdTs.

On the whole, I prefer the spray apparatus; it's much more precise and less wasteful. Dabbing is probably only really appropriate with pure perfume, when tiny bits are plenty. Then use the scent-moistened inside of the bottle stopper.
    Last edited by JaimeB; 7th November 2007 at 11:53 PM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cćlum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by Bakerloo Line View Post
    (my bolding/italics)

Call it proof that I can't please all the Basenoters all the time.

All the rest of you guys who need to pour splash bottles into spray-topped bottles right away or the sky will fall, you can declare it a few more times here and get it out of your system. Think how good that will feel!

For me, I think I use a spray bottle 119 out of every 120 days. On that one day every four months when I use a splash bottle, well, I apply it like a man and don't worry about preserving the sacred juice. I worry about getting the juice on me, although worry isn't exactly the right word.

For you fellow splashers--regular or occasional--here's how I apply:

1. Splash bottles are different. a) Some have a small hole in a plastic plug that's under the screw cap (like my bottle of L'Artisan Eau d'Eté) and the juice can be shaken out of that with a gentle shake of the bottle. This is probably the type of splash bottle Hirch means when he says he splashes right on his chest. b) Other bottles have larger holes that are in the molded glass of the bottle, under the screw cap, and no plastic plug. Acqua di Parma Colonia splash bottle comes with one of these. Just tipping the bottle will have a big drop jump out, whereas with the first type, you need to shake to get a few sqiurts out. c) A third type of splash bottle is like my Molinard Verviene edc and Molinard Vetyver edc bottles, which are 250mls each. There's a screw cap and an open bottle opening, with no smaller hole. You could save the bottle once the scent is done and drink iced tea from it it would flow so easily. d) There's also the Mugler's Colonge splash top, which is a cap you screw on the bottle and the cap has a small hole in it, same as the first type described above, the plastic plug type bottle.

2. I take the cap off the bottle, no matter how big the hole is. Holding the bottle upright with one hand, I put the other hand over the top of the bottle, with my palm flush and covering the bottle's hole. I tilt the bottle about 120 degrees, so that my palm is holding the liquid in it. I cup my palm a little bit, so that a whisper of air flows through the crack of the line of palm skin that palm readers examine to explain my problems, and that whisper lets a single small bubble of air slip into the bottle and a correspondingly small sized amount of the fragrance escapes into my palm.

3. I quickly right the bottle up, again, with the hand that is holding the bottle, leaving just about a quarter to a sixth amount of a sample vial's volume of the scent in my other palm. I spread that amount of liquid over my skin.

4. For a weaker scent, like the Molinards, I do this five or six times. Once for each forearm, once for each side of the neck, once for the chest, and sometimes once for the round of each shoulder. It always feels great going on, and smells great. It feels wonderful and cool as it goes on and some cooling evaporation takes place. I change hands holding the bottle and palming the outlet so that I can cover both forearms and both shoulders if I want that. For stronger scents, like my Ho Hang Club, I merely apply fewer tips of the bottle.

5. Contamination? Scent ruin? Utter disaster? A fortune spoiled? Damnation! Nothing of the kind. So far so good. If one does go bad because of my palm's essential additions to the delicate balance, oh well. None of the bottles are for sale or trade to anyone, and none will be. Maybe my palm's essence won't ruin anything after all, and maybe it'll even make things richer. Seems like a scent is stronger and more likeable when it's down to the dregs of the bottle anyway, so what the hell, tomorrow is another day, and tomorrow I can use a spray bottle scent.

6. Put on shirt. Feel great and smell great. Have magic hands.

--Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I totally agree and I love the effect. However, I usually make such a wasteful mess that I have to use sprayers. Not only did my hands smell of Vettiveru, but my bathroom counter, floor, rug, my pants, etc etc.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Call it proof that I can't please all the Basenoters all the time.

All the rest of you guys who need to pour splash bottles into spray-topped bottles right away or the sky will fall, you can declare it a few more times here and get it out of your system. Think how good that will feel!

For me, I think I use a spray bottle 119 out of every 120 days. On that one day every four months when I use a splash bottle, well, I apply it like a man and don't worry about preserving the sacred juice. I worry about getting the juice on me, although worry isn't exactly the right word.

For you fellow splashers--regular or occasional--here's how I apply:

1. Splash bottles are different. a) Some have a small hole in a plastic plug that's under the screw cap (like my bottle of L'Artisan Eau d'Eté) and the juice can be shaken out of that with a gentle shake of the bottle. This is probably the type of splash bottle Hirch means when he says he splashes right on his chest. b) Other bottles have larger holes that are in the molded glass of the bottle, under the screw cap, and no plastic plug. Acqua di Parma Colonia splash bottle comes with one of these. Just tipping the bottle will have a big drop jump out, whereas with the first type, you need to shake to get a few sqiurts out. c) A third type of splash bottle is like my Molinard Verviene edc and Molinard Vetyver edc bottles, which are 250mls each. There's a screw cap and an open bottle opening, with no smaller hole. You could save the bottle once the scent is done and drink iced tea from it it would flow so easily. d) There's also the Mugler's Colonge splash top, which is a cap you screw on the bottle and the cap has a small hole in it, same as the first type described above, the plastic plug type bottle.

2. I take the cap off the bottle, no matter how big the hole is. Holding the bottle upright with one hand, I put the other hand over the top of the bottle, with my palm flush and covering the bottle's hole. I tilt the bottle about 120 degrees, so that my palm is holding the liquid in it. I cup my palm a little bit, so that a whisper of air flows through the crack of the line of palm skin that palm readers examine to explain my problems, and that whisper lets a single small bubble of air slip into the bottle and a correspondingly small sized amount of the fragrance escapes into my palm.

3. I quickly right the bottle up, again, with the hand that is holding the bottle, leaving just about a quarter to a sixth amount of a sample vial's volume of the scent in my other palm. I spread that amount of liquid over my skin.

4. For a weaker scent, like the Molinards, I do this five or six times. Once for each forearm, once for each side of the neck, once for the chest, and sometimes once for the round of each shoulder. It always feels great going on, and smells great. It feels wonderful and cool as it goes on and some cooling evaporation takes place. I change hands holding the bottle and palming the outlet so that I can cover both forearms and both shoulders if I want that. For stronger scents, like my Ho Hang Club, I merely apply fewer tips of the bottle.

5. Contamination? Scent ruin? Utter disaster? A fortune spoiled? Damnation! Nothing of the kind. So far so good. If one does go bad because of my palm's essential additions to the delicate balance, oh well. None of the bottles are for sale or trade to anyone, and none will be. Maybe my palm's essence won't ruin anything after all, and maybe it'll even make things richer. Seems like a scent is stronger and more likeable when it's down to the dregs of the bottle anyway, so what the hell, tomorrow is another day, and tomorrow I can use a spray bottle scent.

6. Put on shirt. Feel great and smell great. Have magic hands.

--Chris
    Hmmmmm........, gotta admit he has a point ,folks.

I wonder what David Hasselhoff prefers,...splash or spray.
    Last edited by eric; 8th November 2007 at 03:43 PM.

You scent your hands.

Almost all of my bottles are sprays and if anyone asks I'll say I vastly prefer scents in spray bottles, but the rare times I use a splash bottle I get this extra joy. My palms smell fantastic, and every time I pick my nose, pick something from between my teeth, run my fingers through my hair, pick my ears, or bring the coffee cup to my lips, I can get a good whif of the scent beautifully mixed with my palm's natural oils of me.

I love this.
    Great thread, Chris!

However, you forgot to mention the scratching your arse bit...
    Last edited by Trebor; 8th November 2007 at 03:59 PM.