Code of Conduct

Default Good soap/body wash to use?

Hi. Brand new to the basenotes forum (my first post), but not to basenotes itself. I've been using this site for a couple of years now to aid in making my fragrance purchasing decisions! So, my question isn't about fragrance selection itself, since I'm able to figure that out from the reviews. Instead, I have what is probably a more unusual question.

Like many people, I seem to have skin that isn't the most conducive to fragrance, which is unfortunate considering how much I enjoy it (like I'd really be posting here if I didn't!). I have heard, though, that the soap one uses can have at least some impact on the performance of a fragrance. So here's my question: does anyone here know of a soap/body wash (preferably body wash, actually), that is good to use in the shower before spraying on the fragrance? Specifically, I'm looking for two criteria: 1. moisturizing, as I've heard that moisture helps the skin retain fragrance better, which makes sense, and 2. very little if no scent, as I've heard that a scented soap/body wash can kind of mute the fragrance, and unfortunately most body washes I've come across, especially moisturizing ones, seem to be fairly heavily scented. So, does anyone here have any products they've found good for using in conjunction with fragrances? Also, I would prefer a product that is widely available in the US -- I really rather not order some expensive specialty item from somewhere halfway around the world.

Lastly, by the way, please don't think that I'm trying to make everyone within a 10-foot radius of me gag! But I would like my fragrances to be at least detectable (otherwise, really what's the point?), and if I put on a fragrance before going out to a restaurant, I'd like it to still be there when I actually get to the restaurant! So, again, I'm not looking of help selecting a new fragrance. I'm looking for help getting more "bang for the buck" with the fragrances I already own. Thanks!

PS. I realize that there's another thread about bath products right around this one, but that person is actually asking the opposite question of mine -- using SCENTED products WITHOUT cologne. So, I don't think that my question should be redundant.

Default Re: Good soap/body wash to use?

The Elariia line by Perlier sells a shower gel on hsn.com, type "Neutraline" in the search box. The body lotion does have a scent of cocoa butter. The two together are only about $4 more than shower gel alone. There are reviews on the website, very good Italian Bath and Body line, I use a lot of it. Can't vouch for how unscented the gel is, since I got the lotion and could smell the natural ingredients.

For myself, I use bar soaps like L'Amande unscented, sold at beautyhabit for $4 a bar, minus current discount of 25%, code DCHABIT. I do have dry skin.

At drugstore.com, do a search for "Dr. Bronner's" and you'll see an 18 in 1 Hemp unscented baby liquid castile soap for sensitive skin. My husband has never used anything but Dr. Bronner's liquid castile soap in all the years I've known him.

And if you have dry skin, exfoliate in the shower. Look at the Buf-Puf on drugstore.com, you can usually find those in drug stores or else use a loofah. Just wash with something like that instead of a wash cloth.

Another way you can exfoliate if you have dry skin is to make up a body scrub using almond, jojoba or vegetable oil and either salt or sugar, cheaper than buying scented ones, anyway. Scrub it on while your skin is still wet, then wash or rinse it off. It also works as a 60 second manicure, rub the scrub into your cuticles, then wash hands and go party! If you have cuts or scrapes, then use sugar, although it dissolves faster than salt. You can use the almond or jojoba oil without the scrub to moisturize, too - while you're still in the shower, smooth a little on while still wet, then towel off. Jojoba absorbs into the skin really well, but I am so dry, I use the almond.

PS Oil does not absorb well unless your skin is wet, so don't try that trick after you get out of the shower or you'll be all greasy. And welcome!!
    Last edited by beachroses; 7th November 2007 at 11:53 PM.

You may also try Cetaphil if your skin is sensitive. No scent, inexpensive, moisturizing and also seems to do a nice job of getting rid of old fragrance without masking it.

Good luck!!!!
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

I forgot to mention that Neutrogena makes a nice unscented body oil that some guys use, it's on drugstore.com, too. There's a link to a discount in the discount section of the board, but you have to have PayPal and it's only good for one day.
    Last edited by beachroses; 8th November 2007 at 01:18 AM.

Great, thanks. That definitely helps. I think that the Cetaphil recommendation is maybe the most interesting to me, if for other reason than the fact that it's so readily available (any drugstore carries it, no need to buy online or anything). Also, of course, it seems to fit the description of what I'm looking for -- moisturizing and no scent.

Beachroses, that Neutrogena product sounds interesting, but from what I can tell, it looks like that's something you put on AFTER you shower, not something you actually wash with. Is that right? I think for now, at least, I'd prefer just altering my choice of soap and not having to bother with anything after getting out of the shower, other than actually spraying on the fragrance, of course!

Also, it's interesting that no one recommends anything in brands such as Dove, Olay, Aveeno, and Johnson & Johnson. That's what I've been trying! Maybe that's why I haven't been getting such great results? If so, I think it's probably the scent of the products that's doing it, not a lack of moisturizing.

Thanks again.

I use one of two products....depending on the budget at time of purchase....the Cetaphil is the best, and the Dove sensitive skin is a distant second.
    Discount and drug store fragrance trollop. http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=74

I tend to use soap bars because I feel less clean using body washes even though my skin is dry. For soap I use Dove, Camay(too girly for you probably), and Caress. The Dove has a light neutral scent that goes away pretty quickly.

I've used a lot of lotions, but the one that I found that actually helped with sillage & longevity of fragrances is Keri Advanced Extra Dry Skin Lotion. My skin tends to absorb perfumes instead of project them, and with this lotion it actually projects for a change. It also helps them to last longer without interfering with the scent of the perfume. The lotion itself has a light, clean, "lotiony" scent but it fades quickly and doesn't interfere. Actually, I've used it over Caress soap and after using the lotion, found I could smell the soap more.

I've found that -on my skin- lotions that have natural oils & ingredients(like Aveeno, Palmers Cocoa Butter, Neutrogena and some others that I can't remember right now ) get absorbed into my skin and end up allowing the perfume to get absorbed as well. Maybe because the Keri is artificial and has no oils it creates more of a barrier that prevents my skin from absorbing perfumes? Just my guesses.

Hope that helps.

Interesting threads make me think and this is one that does.

I have used nothing but Caswell & Massey No. 6 hard-milled soap for more than thirty years. I love the scent but IMO it is fleeting. I don't think that it affects the smell of my fragrances, but now I will have to test my opinion side-by-side (or wrist-by-wrist). I know that my wife will have something unscented that I can use.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Tom's of Maine makes an unscented body wash.
    --------------------------------------
    In case you aren't familiar, Tom's is also very ecofriendly. They're factories are wind-powered, they use natural and organic ingredients, their employees donate 5% of their paid time to volunteering, they donate 10% of profits to charity, they use recycled packaging, and most products are vegan.
    Last edited by bernat; 9th November 2007 at 01:08 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I have a skin regimen that gets me perfect sillage....

Daily
    I shower and use a combo of Ivory & Safeguard plus a body wash (dial, palmolive, etc.). The 1st wash is used to remove the lotion and any other surface goo (dead skin cells, old perfume, etc.). The second wash I scrub myself very well. The 3rd wash gets anything I may have missed in the 1st & 2nd. If I have time, I'll do a 4th, but that hardly ever happens cause I'm always running late. I use a nice thick wash cloth to wash with.

When I get out the shower, I leave my upper body and arms wet. I towel off everything else. I spray my chest, stomach, upper and lower arms, and my neck with my SOTD. Now, if I'm wearing an oil to go with my frag, then I will put that on 1st and then apply my SOTD. I use the water left on my upper body to spread the perfume all over my upper body and any other place that I can reach.

Then I put on my lotion. I use Jergens Ultra Healing, Eucerin w/the green top, and a body butter (Jergens, BBW, etc.). I mix them all together along with the lotion or a matching lotion to my SOTD. I lotion my entire body, but only use my perfumed lotion on my upper body. I use the rest every where else.

Before I put my clothes on, I give a quick spray to my chest neck and wrists.

Weekly
    I take a long bath weekly to exfoliate. I think it's very important that all who love to wear perfume do this. Although we shower daily, that doesn't remove all the body soil. This can build up over a few days even when you shower numerous times a day. You can shower 3 times a day for a whole week and never be as clean as you would be after a good soak and scrub.

I use various scented bubble baths plus a little dishwashing liquid to cut down on the ring around the tub. I get the water as hot as I can stand it. I throw in my pillow, my exfoliating gloves that feel like a brilo pad, my loofa sponge, and my other sponge that is like the shower puff. I hook up my pillow and I lay there fully submerged for about 30 to 45 minutes. I take just my Ivory and I 1st wash with my gloves. These gloves feel soooo good by the way. I then use my Ivory with the puff sponge and then my 3rd with the loofa sponge. The 4th wash I use my wash cloth. I repeat the 4 washes with the Safeguard. I then shower cause HELLO I've been sitting in my own filth...eew. Anyway, I wash maybe one or 2 times. Now, my skin is usually a little raw after this. So, I usually don't use frags cause the alcohol can make you feel like you're on fire LOL!! If I need to have a scent,, then I use my Aveda oils because they don't burn when I apply them. If I have to though, I walk through the fire and spray on the SOTD. Then I go through the lotion thing I mentioned above.

Now, as far as scented soaps and lotions, I've found that anything other than the perfumed ones rarely last longer than an hour on me if even that long. I have never had a problem with any of my soaps or lotions messing up my SOTD. Now, I may add extras to enhance my SOTD to give it my own twist, but that's it. Now, I have found that a few OTC lotions have a long lasting scent. I use these lotions sometimes to bring out a frag I may be wearing. They are Palmers Coco Butter lotion and Baby Magic Soft Baby Scent. I use BBW and VS too.

So, the important thing here is good hygeine and well cleaned skin. Don't worry about losing your precious natural oils. That's what they make lotion for. Wash yourself!!! Put on some lotion and stop being stingy with the perfume. Spray it up!!! You'll figure out what to use a lot or less of. Hope this helps.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Quote Originally Posted by J-S View Post
    Great, thanks. That definitely helps. I think that the Cetaphil recommendation is maybe the most interesting to me, if for other reason than the fact that it's so readily available (any drugstore carries it, no need to buy online or anything). Also, of course, it seems to fit the description of what I'm looking for -- moisturizing and no scent.
    J-S: Let us know how your experiment works for you. I've been successful with it but as Divatologist hints, it's not the only thing most of us do.

I'm personally a body wash junkie so I use the Cetaphil when I want to make sure I have a clean slate (or I have to get rid of a scrubber - and I've been known to attack with exfoliating scrub if the scent is really annoying). Otherwise, I match body wash scent with what I plan to wear that day.

Have fun in the bath
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

Sakecat22, yes, that was quite an answer Divatologist gave, isn't it! Whoa. It looks like this whole preparing the skin for fragrance thing is a bit more involved than I at first thought! Kind of intimidating. Well, yes, I'll see what I can realistically do. Hopefully even small steps will help. Thanks again.
    Last edited by J-S; 9th November 2007 at 02:10 PM.

J-S believe I started with small steps. I had to learn what works for me. This was a very long process. It took years to figure out how to get my skin just where I want it and now I'm starting to take the downward plunge into middle-age LOL!! Now, I'm having to get a whole new skin regimen gowing. Will it ever end.

I learned about my skin because of my love for perfume. I noticed how my perfume would smell different on me sometimes. I figured out that there are some perfumes I can only wear on my freshly exfoliated skin. There are frags that smell better a few days after I've exfoliated. There are frags that smell good no matter what condition my skin is in. Then I have those that turn horrible and rancid if I wear it on skin that is due for exfoliation. In fact this is how I test most of my frags. I will go to the store and try them on when I'm in need of a good scrubbing. If it smells good on me then, It will more than likely smell good when I scrub down.

It's so much to discover about wearing perfume. I have it down to a science because it is so serious with me. I have it down to frags that I can only wear at certain times of the month. I have my so-called club perfumes. These are the perfumes that are only going to smell good for about 3 hours and then they get ugly. Those were the frags that I wore when I went out to the club. When the party was done, so was my frag LOL!
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Smile Re: Good soap/body wash to use?

Try soap's from Rance. Top shelf product's. I buy from Secret Admirer.

Welcome J-S!

My wife and I have made Thierry Mugler's unisex "Cologne" soap a staple in our household. On the whole we prefer shower gels, however for the past 6 years we have indulged using this soap.
    It produces a thick, creamy, rich lather, and rinses off leaving the skin moisturised and squeaky clean. The fragrance remains on the skin, and it can be enjoyed both with and without the fragrance applied afterward.
    Here is a link:
    http://us.strawberrynet.com/productD...45558&goChar=T

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by beachroses View Post
    At drugstore.com, do a search for "Dr. Bronner's" and you'll see an 18 in 1 Hemp unscented baby liquid castile soap for sensitive skin. My husband has never used anything but Dr. Bronner's liquid castile soap in all the years I've known him.
    I want you to turn the computer off now, right now. I want you to get into your car. I want you to drive to the closest natural foods store. Get Dr. Bronner's now. Do not wait for tomorrow. If the store is closed, break in. Do it! You will thank us later.

Seriously, there are many reasons to love Dr. Bronner's. On the other end of the spectrum, however, I also love white Ivory bars. They do have just a tiny bit of scent, but nothing that I can detect after I've rinsed off and am out of the shower.

I agree with everyone else, though, who has said that your bigger concern is over moisture rather than the kind of soap that you use. I would try some unscented body lotions and see if that works for you.