Code of Conduct

Smile Just tried Ava Luxe Midnight Voilet today

Wow does this stuff bring back memories. I could never find a scent that replicated that old timey barbershop smell. You know. The stuff the barber squirts in your hair and rubs in just before he combs it and lets you out of the chair. Also he used to put some sort of scented talc on a towel and pat the back of my neck with it.

Well after trying this scent today I realized he must have been using violet scented talc and hair tonic. I used to enjoy smelling that all day after a hair cut when I was a kid.
    To me it smelled like the epitomy of manliness. Just after stepping out into the sun coming from that temple of manliness the old two chair barber shop. I would watch the guys play cribbage and I would stare at the dead animal heads and fish on the wall while being surrounded by a blue haze of tobacco smoke. All the old men would tell jokes that I was not supposed to hear and discuss sports and spit on the floor.

Wow. Those days are gone aren't they?

Rick
    Last edited by DOCPSYCHO; 7th November 2007 at 10:59 PM.
    For sale post

[url]http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=190169[/url]

" I wanna have my kicks before the whole s--t house goes up in flames"

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

Default Re: Just tried Ava Luxe Midnight Voilet today

I liked Midnight Violet when I tried it, it's an extremely deep fragrance and evokes violets at midnight perfectly. I'm not experienced with barbershops so I wouldn't know whether it smells similiar though.

It is so sad that we may not be able to buy this...
    Serena is on hiatus.

[I wrote this up on Perfume Shrine, and also Sniffa...
    I think it's here, too.]

I love this- along with other incense-redolent scents she's done.

It's my favorite from her line, but I can imagine when I'd wear it. What do yall think?
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

I'm with Rich - I can't imagine a time to wear it. Plus I'm figuring out that I don't like violet nearly as much as some other florals like iris or lavender. It is a well crafted scent though. My favorite scent so far in the Ava Luxe line is Turkish Vanilla.
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]“Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.”[/FONT]

~ Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by _R$_ View Post
    It's my favorite from her line, but I can imagine when I'd wear it. What do yall think?
    - Rich
    Some fragrances I reserve for things like gardening, reading a book by the fire, etc. and Midnight Violet is one of those fragrances.

Basenotes Institution

Love it and own it (I'm archiving my bottle of this because the Ava Luxe shop is closed...maybe it'll be worth something in a few years, no?).

It is her best fragrance right after her Film Noir. The best use of violets I encountered. Tom Ford tried to copy this in Black Violet (one of his Private Blends) and even he couldn't outdo it.

I will agree with Rich, I rarely wear this...but I will always have it in my wardrobe and cherish the few times I do wear it.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Banned

Bumping this post for those of you who need some more of this, 3 left at her etsy store!

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=8299832

Quote Originally Posted by DOCPSYCHO View Post
    Wow does this stuff bring back memories. I could never find a scent that replicated that old timey barbershop smell. You know. The stuff the barber squirts in your hair and rubs in just before he combs it and lets you out of the chair. Also he used to put some sort of scented talc on a towel and pat the back of my neck with it.

Well after trying this scent today I realized he must have been using violet scented talc and hair tonic. I used to enjoy smelling that all day after a hair cut when I was a kid.
    To me it smelled like the epitomy of manliness. Just after stepping out into the sun coming from that temple of manliness the old two chair barber shop. I would watch the guys play cribbage and I would stare at the dead animal heads and fish on the wall while being surrounded by a blue haze of tobacco smoke. All the old men would tell jokes that I was not supposed to hear and discuss sports and spit on the floor.

Wow. Those days are gone aren't they?

Rick
    Wow Rick! Being from the same generation, I feel it. Nothing like the barber shop. My barber was also into health food way back when. He was always trying to get me to drink tiger's milk.
    I have read in Plato and Cicero sayings that are wise and very beautiful; but I have never read in either of them: Come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laden.'' --Saint Augustine

“Hastiness and superficiality are the psychic diseases of the twentieth century, and more than anywhere else this disease is reflected in the press.”--Alexander Solzhenitsyn

One more for the "don't think I would wear this very much" line of thinking. I obtained samples of this just before Ava-Lux closed down. I thought it was intriguing and strange, and I wasn't planning on ordering it because I didn't see myself putting this on. Actually Ava-Lux is not a house I feel much sympathy with, for some reason.

Thumbs up Re: Just tried Ava Luxe Midnight Voilet today

Mine arrived in yesterday's mail (ordered from her new online store at Etsy; sparse selection, but she's there). What a beautiful scent, and boy, does it have "legs"!

I ordered it because we're having a group-buy over on the Badger & Blade wetshaving forum -- as a special favor to us, Charles (owner/operator of QED shaving products) is reprising his long out-of-stock Violetta glycerin-based EO-only shaving soap, so I wisely ordered three tubs. Can't wait for it to arrive (late January), and shpritz some of Serena Ava Franco's Midnight Violet, afterward.

For those of us who do, Smooth Shaving!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Frances View Post
    Actually Ava-Lux is not a house I feel much sympathy with, for some reason.
    You're not alone there...

Today I revisited my sample of Midnight Violet and found a new fragrance to love.

There is something unique about this fragrance. It rounds out the violet notes with a touch of earth, woods, smoke and most notably to my nose an animalic side - I get a lot of musk, and a touch of civet in the dry down. I get cedar, musk, civet, and a note I can only call jasmine tea in addition to the dominant violet.

Definitely goes to the top of my soliflore list along with Carnal Flower and Sa Majeste la Rose.

My curiosity has peaked

Being a fan of Film Noir, I would only love to sample this somehow.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

There are many others Ava-Luxe scents suitable for men except Midnight Violet,Kama-Palisander-Feuilles Patchouli-Johri-Figue Noir-Cafe Noir-Kretek-Moroccan Mint,all are unique and worths a try.

I have Kretek coming in the mail. Also interested in trying her Red Carnation fragrance once either she or PC has samples, and perhaps delving into her prolific musks.

Isn't the violet note supposed to be very fleeting? How does it hold up in the frags mentioned on this thread? As to Ava Luxe, I liked Kretek and Sweet Absinthe most.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Isn't the violet note supposed to be very fleeting?
    I found the violet quite strong in the top and dry down, though after nine or so hours it's more of a mild musk scent than violet.