Code of Conduct

Default Guerlain Heritage - a safe blind buy?

I'm always on the lookout for more scents with a good amount of vanilla in them and that seems to be a description which would apply to Heritage from what i've read. I've seen some pretty good prices so would people consider it a safe blind buy if you like vanilla?

Also, i know its easy-ish to find online but what about in actual shops in the UK? Do the likes of Boots and Debenhams stock it?

Default Re: Guerlain Heritage - a safe blind buy?

Heritage is a wonderful scent! I wouldn't say it was heavy in vanilla to be honest. Guerlain describe it as a "Woody spicy scent with dominant notes of lavander, coriander and patchouli".

It does have some sweetness though, but this is tamed by the woods and patchouli. An extremely well crafted scent, very smooth and refined.

I doubt you will find it at Boots, possibly Debenhams or the House of Fraser group but I am told that it is being discontinued. This was from a Guerlain account manager, so pick some up if you see it! I know I'm stocking up whilst its still around.

I can't see anyone hating this scent, some do think it smells a little "old manish" but I disagree, possibly because I wore it in my early 20's when it was first released. Its the male counterpart to Samsara, or thats how it was marketed.

Get it I say! If you don't like it I'll swap you!
    Last edited by CoL; 8th November 2007 at 09:51 AM.

Debenhams have a decent range of Guerlain,on-line (including MDM ). I once saw it in Kendalls (Manchester) also.

Debenhams do not list Heritage,though,at the moment,on-line.

I echo the previous thoughts:I'm wearing it today,it is great and a very safe blind buy.

As Mr Guerlain,I think, commented earlier in the week "sometimes you forget how good it is"

What are the longevity and sillage like? Also i see there's an edp version too. Is that the better of the two?

I have the EDT-- picked it up cheap for about $20.

I suppose there's a good amount of vanilla in Heritage, but there's a lot of other stuff in the basenotes-- it's actually a fragrance I would describe as having a lot of "life" in the basenotes. There seems to be a lot of movement throughout the lower registers of this scent. This scent features the classic "Guerlainade" base, and I even get something a bit Creed-like in the basenotes. The pepper in this is blended really well. I even get a hot chili pepper note in this at times.

It's a very expensive smelling fragrance, which makes it all that more of a score if you can land it cheap. I don't wear it much, because I don't feel like it suits my image, though I've smelled it a few times on other people and it was pleasant to my nose.

I always compare Heritage and L'instant pour homme because they both conjure up that "sweet brown amber" type scent. L'Instant is the smoother while Heritage has some rougher edges which give it more character and brawn.

I've not tried the EDP, but I know that for the EDT the longevity is great and the sillage is right about in the perfect range-- which is one of the things I like about Guerlains-- they always wear right where I want them in sillage terms.

Definitely a good blind buy.
    Last edited by Indie_Guy; 8th November 2007 at 11:58 AM.

If you do like a good formal scent.. This is a safe buy indeed.. Very good quality

Quote Originally Posted by CoL View Post
    .....but I am told that it is being discontinued. This was from a Guerlain account manager, so pick some up if you see it! I know I'm stocking up whilst its still around.
    Say it ain't so

I have a bottle of both the EdT and EdP. Probably because I use a smaller amount of the EdP, I enjoy them equally and don't prefer one over the other. Although my hand reaches for the EdP first!

If Heritage is being discontinued, I'll start stocking up as well.

Oh - to the topic - yes, It is definitely a safe blind buy!
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 8th November 2007 at 12:12 PM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    I have the EDT-- picked it up cheap for about $20.

I suppose there's a good amount of vanilla in Heritage, but there's a lot of other stuff in the basenotes-- it's actually a fragrance I would describe as having a lot of "life" in the basenotes. There seems to be a lot of movement throughout the lower registers of this scent. This scent features the classic "Guerlainade" base....

I've not tried the EDP, but I know that for the EDT the longevity is great and the sillage is right about in the perfect range-- which is one of the things I like about Guerlains-- they always wear right where I want them in sillage terms.

Definitely a good blind buy.
    Agree with Indieguys comment above. I treasure the decant of the EdP that I have...amazing stuff.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by Latch35 View Post
    As Mr Guerlain,I think, commented earlier in the week "sometimes you forget how good it is"
    Yes, everytime I put it on, I get reminded that I often forget what a crystal clear, elegant scent this is. This is what I wrote about it on my Guerlain-site:

Héritage bears its name because Jean-Paul Guerlain's vision with this rich, woody fragrance from 1992 was to synthesize the immense olfactory heritage of Guerlain's past creations into one masculine scent. And it certainly plays on the whole famous Guerlain scent repertoire: vanilla, fine wood, flower and spices. Some people find this perfume to be introvert and reserved, and it's true that it's very formal and elegant. It is one of Guerlain's most refined and 'clean' fragrances for men, not sharing the sensuality and 'dirtiness' that is such a characteristic of many Guerlain perfumes. Still, the deep warmth of its woody notes equalizes its initial buttoned up-expression. Its bottle is as elegant and stringent as the scent itself.

try before you buy

(good advice for all colognes)
    Last edited by marcuccio88; 8th November 2007 at 07:02 PM. Reason: clarification

It could be considered a little stuffy and old fashion, so test first.

With that being said, it is pure class and quality, and extremely well constructed.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

I really like Heritage, but I wouldn't buy it blind if you're expecting vanilla.
    Last edited by richardjamesedt; 9th November 2007 at 12:40 AM.
    My current top 10: Richard James; Clive Christian No. 1 for Men; L'Artisan Voleur de Roses; Creed Aventus, Erolfa, Santal Imperial, Virgin Island Water, and Windsor; Serge Lutens Chergui and Gris Clair

"It is never to late to be what you might have been." George Eliot

My local Debenhams had a few bottles yesterday so i gave it a try and it was pretty good stuff. Lasted all day too. I'd buy a bottle but not from there as it can be had much cheaper than 44.

I love PdN New York and Creed BdP, but Heritage was not my thing.. I second Simon in that I feel it's more old fashioned, more suitable for the older gentleman. I'll probably like it 20 years from now. I didn't get a lot of vanilla though. Try it first.