Code of Conduct

Default Jealousy: France vs. USA

I've recently moved to Lyon, France really because of my love for fragrances... in retrospect Paris might have been a better move, but whatever . It's awesome because everyone wears fragrances. Every woman is fragranced with something amazing... it gets my man juices going. I was bedridden in Paris for 10 days a week ago and EVERY nurse (included the male ones) wore a fragrance - it was a delight in such a somber time of my life.

Well back to Lyon. You can find "parfumeries" everywhere and they are stocked with fragrances of the past and of the present. Every Sephora store and 80% of the other parfumeries stock Serge Lutens. I found an Annick Goutal store the other day and two shops that stocked Creed, Frederic Malle, Rosines, Penhaligon's, Parfum D'empire, etc. And understand that these stores are PACKED. Everyone here seems to be interested in fragrances.

Perhaps I shouldn't complain because I lived in San Diego and I had access to some decent boutiques, Saks Fifth (Bond No. 9), and Neiman Marcus (Creed), but access seemed to be more difficult than it is here (again perhaps, it's a more condensed city here in Lyon and we have a super cool transportation system).

I must say. I do miss the Bond No. 9 line and I'll probably be missing Creed more as well since the store owner of the only store in Lyon that offers Creed seemed to be strangely unwelcoming towards me. Speaking of which, I'm missing a little... New Haarlem, Hamptons, and Bleecker Street so please contact me if you're able to send some decants over!

Meanwhile, I'm hoping that an olfactory revolution will occur in the United States.
    Last edited by scentophile; 8th November 2007 at 12:28 PM.

Default Re: Jealousy: France vs. USA

I'm not jealous of you being in France, but it would be nice to have access to those boutiques here. We don't even have a mall or decent sized dept store. lol! My family lived in Paris for five years, I used to travel there often and loved cruising the country and visiting the little villages for the local food and wine. We have three ladies in our family and wore Chanel No 5, YSL Rive Gauche, and Bal a Versailles by Jean Desprez in those days. I loved shopping in Paris. Fabulous place. You have to be a good nose to be a good cook, that is all there is to it. Today I'm in Chanel No 19, the sun is rising through the trees, the sky is blue, let us try and be joyful wherever we are. For me, it's by the sea, but it took me a while to get here.

Interesting about how everybody there wears fragrance.

I've always thought it kind of weird how there seems to be a lack of French Basenoters. Am I imagining this?

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post

I've always thought it kind of weird how there seems to be a lack of French Basenoters. Am I imagining this?
    Language barrier. There is a number of French perfume fora.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Smile Re: Jealousy: France vs. USA

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post

Indie, something that always intrigued me is the big number of American basenoters in a "Brittish Born Perfume web site", when I had heard that most of American people weren't so much interested in fragrances in general!!! LOL!! And Indeed, I expected to find a lot of French folks and european here!
    I remember I thought to myself after a while that Basenotes should be like those american secret societies!

I imagine, too, that France will never see the level of political-correctness - and potential for lawsuits - that's common in the US when it comes to perfume in everyday settings. America certainly has no shortage of department stores or boutiques - but sadly, fragrance here is seen as little more than "the latest fad" or the "hated Christmas present."

Talking Re: Jealousy: France vs. USA

I am so jealous I could bite you! With love of course.

MOI AUSSI MOI AUSSI MOI AUSSI

Totally jealous. Living in Lyon? (groan) at least you can make a trip to Paris. sigh.
    Jealous because of the fragrances, but also the lifestyle in general. Just watched "Sicko" last night. To hear the Americans living in France talk about the 35 hour work week, minimum five week paid vacation for part time employees, FREE health care, six month paid maternity leave...need I go on?

Viva La France.
    Je m'appelle Renee.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post

Totally jealous. Living in Lyon? (groan) at least you can make a trip to Paris. sigh.
    Jealous because of the fragrances, but also the lifestyle in general. Just watched "Sicko" last night. To hear the Americans living in France talk about the 35 hour work week, minimum five week paid vacation for part time employees, FREE health care, six month paid maternity leave...need I go on?

Viva La France.
    Je m'appelle Renee.
    That's funny, I had just watched that movie last night as well. I would love to move to France after watching than, moreso than before, that's for sure!

Viva La France.
    Je m'appelle Renee.
    It's funny because a lot of it isn't true and the French always talk about how the movie skews a lot of the French reality (I haven't seen the movie myself). People take a mandatory chunk out of their pay checks for their health care - that I can say for sure, so it isn't exactly free. To my understanding there are many fees as well for everything that is done from getting an x-ray to getting your arm casted.
    Last edited by scentophile; 8th November 2007 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scentophile View Post
    It's funny because a lot of it isn't true and the French always talk about how the movie skews a lot of the French reality (I haven't seen the movie myself). People take a mandatory chunk out of their pay checks for their health care - that I can say for sure, so it isn't exactly free. To my understanding there are many fees as well for everything that is done from getting an x-ray to getting your arm casted.
    hmmm.... what to believe?
    I can see this needs some research.
    I personally wouldn't mind going there on a trial run just to get to the bottom of it and see with my own eyes.

seriously, not to digress, and this could be an off topic thread, but there's gotta be a better way than what we have now.

back to the topic,
    scentophile, please let us know what the French Women are wearing.
    My one girlfriend spent a lot of time in France, married into a French family and recalls with nostalgia how marvelous the bath soaps were, the toilet waters, and how the women always smelled wonderful.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

scentophile, please let us know what the French Women are wearing.
    My one girlfriend spent a lot of time in France, married into a French family and recalls with nostalgia how marvelous the bath soaps were, the toilet waters, and how the women always smelled wonderful.
    Honestly, I don't think any different than what American women would wear due to the fact that the fragrance advertising is huge. Magazines and billboards are filled with seductive women selling that sex appeal. Guerlain, Hermes, and YSL are considered classic brands. My director, she wore Rive Gauche all her life. Another woman that I met recently sported Shalimar her entire life as well. The younger ladies buy into the advertising and you smell all the mainstream stuff here as you would in America. Angel seems to be pretty popular here, and Chanel is heavily advertised here and women crowd that section of the fragrance stores.

It's funny because Serge Lutens is always hidden away, bottom shelf, away from the lime light. L'artisan is pretty available and the positioning is the same. What a pity.

Quote Originally Posted by scentophile View Post
    I've recently moved to Lyon, France really because of my love for fragrances...
    Really? Moving across the Atlantic to a totally new continent & country...packing up everything..hiring a moving co., leaving you're job, finding a new job. Selling your home, buying a new home. A new language. Visa/ residency/ citizenship documents/ passport.
    More to it than just fragrances? University or job opportunity perhaps? Just a thought.

delete
    Last edited by scentophile; 20th March 2010 at 09:28 PM. Reason: delte

Your passion is impressive. Good luck.

Thanks for sharing. Sounds great... I wish you all the best! My family is from Niort originally. I love France.

Quote Originally Posted by zr0e View Post
    Your passion is impressive. Good luck.
    Thanks. It has been hard though. I find myself "playing" more than keeping my eye on the prize. The latest struggle was having a lung collapse and going through two major operations in Paris without family or friends. I had a lot of time to think about life as I stayed immobilized for 10 days. I had the opportunity to start and finish Luca Turin's The Secret of Scent, which brought me back to reality.
    Last edited by scentophile; 8th November 2007 at 10:36 PM.

I think what you are doing is absolutely marvelous .

Sorry about your health debacle and that you had to endure it alone with no support.

I wish you the best my friend. Nothing wrong with playing, just keep your goal in sight and you will accomplish it.

Keep us posted, and I wish you the best my friend .
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"