Code of Conduct

Smile Calling All Experts!!

Hi,I found Basenotes Site a few weeks ago and I must say I'm both amazed and humbled by the knowledge and sheer depth of the Fragrance Industry.Having spent all of my life non plussed about fragrances just using popular commercial fragrances I was bought and just stocking up on them from time to time I recently took it on myself to find a main fragrance that would suit me as an idividual,one that I can stick with and one that I adore,hence after a little searching on reviews of supposedly good masculine fragrances I came across this heavenly site!
    So my main reason for this post is to get recommendations from you experts,knowing most of you have very indepth knowledges and experiences with fragrances I would ask you to recommend me just one per reply that you think would suit me as a person,my personality,my lifestyle etc,one that can be worn both day and night,that I can treat as a second luxurious skin.With this in mind I have described a bit about myself which may help your suggestions,please excuse me if I give any information that is irrelevant to your decisions i'll just be as thorough in as brief description as possible.Thank you in advance for your time and most appreciated recommendations.Description as follows:
    I am an English Male 33 years of age,I like to think of myself as very Alpha Male,I am very active being in very good shape from regular physical exercise.I have a penchant for clothes spending far more than I probably should on Italian Designer Fashions,I would say my main choice of clothing you would catch me in is Jeans,Shirt and Blazer.I am single and love beautiful women of all nationalities! I'm in HK due to work although this is my main base at present I travel extensively throughout the World,my occupation is of the financial variety but as I said before although this gives me cause sometimes to wear a suit,being my own boss I mostly dress smart casual.I wish to find a fragrance that suits my character,that is obviously adored by the female of the species being that i'm single,but also relatively unique,not what every Tom,Dick and harry is wearing!
    If you can help,please post just one recommendation and perhaps why it would suit me as more than one from each poster would just confuse me more!!!
    Thanks in advance,much appreciated,Thank you
    RS

Default Re: Calling All Experts!!

Welcome!

If I had to narrow my suggestions down to one, my recommendation would be:

Platinum Egoiste by CHANEL.

It is bold, sharp and commanding. It has an aura about it that commands attention, without assaulting the senses. It makes the perfect office scent, and is versatile enough to be worn in the evenings whilst on the town.

Absolutely two thumbs up!
    Good luck!

Eau d'Hermes.

Beautiful, subtle, rare, distinct, unforgettable, and best of all a classic from a better age of perfumery.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I am very, very far from being an expert on fragrance, but one of my favorites sounds like something you might want to try:

Knize Ten

It's traditional and formal, but unusual by modern standards and not a lot of people outside Basenotes know about it. It's a leather and incense blend to my nose, but there are a variety of interpretations as to just what it smells like.

Off-Scenter

DustB beat me to Eau d'Hermes, but there's also L' Homme Sage by Divine. It's suave, sophisticated, and complex, and you're not likely to run into anyone else wearing it. Read the reviews...
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 7th November 2007 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazillionaire View Post
    ...that is obviously adored by the female of the species ...
    RS
    Le Labo, Rose 31. It's not universally adored mind you, but does very well.
    Last edited by Sloan; 7th November 2007 at 07:45 PM.

Thumbs up Re: Calling All Experts!!

Tiffany for Men! This one, does not shout, it has no need to. Bottled class.

Dunhill Edition...crisp, clean, and sophisticated for the trendy Alpha male.

Welcome to Basenotes!
    Last edited by knightowl; 7th November 2007 at 08:08 PM.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Richard James. A very smart, very warm and very 'english' scent. Should work well.

Choosing one is difficult, today I would say Heritage by Guerlain.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Tilleul D'Orsay

Terre d'Hermes

You want a scent not too many people wear, nothing too hip - Terre d'Hermes is out, though great it is.

You're in your early thirties, casual but smart dresser - Heritage, Knize 10, brilliant, but not your age bracket, if this is going to be your signature scent. Also they go better with navy blue club jackets and Hermes ties.

Eau d'Hermes is too individualistic, if you want to attract ladies. The cumin can generate quite a BO note. I give this 5 stars, mind you, but I don't think it's for you.

My suggestion is Domenico Caraceni. A masculine rose scent, with tobacco, frankincense, very sophisticated, but works in all contexts due to its subtlety. Sensuous, a presence without brashness. Not particularly common either. Pure style.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

My choices for you:
    Serge Lutens Gris Clair - Lavender on a bed of ashes. A cool, very European fragrance.
    L'Artisan Perfumer - Mechant Loup - The smell of animal fur and hazelnuts sounded strange to me, but it's quite sexy come on.
    Carven Homme - Spicy patchouli, very sophisticated and sporty considering it's price.
    Good luck on your quest!

Basenotes Institution

Rive Gauche Pour Homme by YSL
    Tom Ford for Men by Tom Ford
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Talking Re: Calling All Experts!!

I would suggest Green Irish Tweed by Creed. Sophisticated. Manly. Fresh green notes. Not too overbearing. A scent that in my opinion that suits casual day wear. Evening out wear. Can be worn in cool or warm weather. Would be fine for in the office or out bumming around the town. Have a draught Bass ale for me at the Bull and Bear if it is still in buisness on the Hong Kong side. I don't imbibe anymore but if I could that is what I would have.

Rick
    For sale post

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=190169

" I wanna have my kicks before the whole s--t house goes up in flames"

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

From your description of yourself , you scream Terre d'Hermes, even though the_good_life shot it down ( Sorry TGL ). I don't think it is too common, at least not here in the USA. The reason I suggest this , that I could generally look at a person when I had my perfume store and figure out what they would like. I would figure out 3 fragrances that I would show them.

I was right about 70 % of the time. Again I must add that the people that walked in my store where actually main stream fragrance users.

I already gave you my first choice for you, the second would be what Docpsycho suggested, Green Irish Tweed.

Third would be Montale Soleil de Capri.

I must say all the suggestions posted by members are great. If you can get decants or samples of the ones suggested, and try them, one scent a day to judge your feelings towards the scent. Narrow it down to 3 scents and give it a second try.

Oh please do let us know what you decide on.
    Last edited by maisonstinky; 8th November 2007 at 12:44 AM.
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I would say go for Chanel pour Monsieur, *not* the Concentree in the flat bottle, but the original in the square bottle. Is there a Chanel boutique in Hong Kong? You might need to go there to find it.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

If you only get one fragrance, you will start suffering from olfactory block after two or three days - you won't smell it, and will probably compensate by applying more than you should, and others will think you reek of it.

That said, Salvador Dali's Laguna would work very well in Hong Kong. Long lasting and fresh.
    Renato

The above suggestions are all very excellent. I would like to second Green Irish Tweed, Terre d'Hermes and Rive Gauche, but if I had to offer something different, I would say Millesime Imperial.

Make a list, go shopping, and trust your nose!

Good luck.
    Last edited by Nicolas V; 8th November 2007 at 01:02 AM.
    You are not your perfume.

Choosing one is very tough.....My choice would be something from the Armani prive Line....These are Fantastic.....Gary

The Scentronic is getting closer to selling off everything but Creed Selection Verte.

(not really )
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    DustB beat me to Eau d'Hermes, but there's also L' Homme Sage by Divine. It's suave, sophisticated, and complex, and you're not likely to run into anyone else wearing it. Read the reviews...
    i'll second, third, fourth and even fifth l'homme sage. a true gem.
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors

Ill second YSL Rive Gauche

I recommend John Varvatos for men, Lalique Encre Noir and Azzaro SilverBlack (Onyx)

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

C'mon folks, this dude needs nothing but Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta: timeless, classy, refined and relaxed at the same time, sparkling fresh of citrus in the opening, teasing at the right point with a touch of pepper, gentle and seductive in the middle with the rose touch and warm and soft with the musky base. It's perfect for a jeans and shirt or a formal outfit. And I can tell many ladies like it.

I would recommend CDG 2 and/or CDG 2 MAN
    Both are unique and very interesting scents.

Quote Originally Posted by maisonstinky View Post
    From your description of yourself , you scream Terre d'Hermes, even though the_good_life shot it down ( Sorry TGL ). I don't think it is too common, at least not here in the USA.
    I am here in (a 100.000 habitant city) germany too and terre is my favorite frag. Did only recognized 1 man with terre since 6 months. But i am sure that in other areas it will be different but terre is (for now) not coolwater (and hope it will not be it ? :--).
    Last edited by sanatik; 10th November 2007 at 02:26 PM.
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

Poor Gazillionaire is probably more confused as ever. Being that you are HK-based at the moment, I would recommend something light but not lame IMO - Mark Birley for Men.