Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Default Are you put off by some women's fragrances because of their packaging?

So, I'm getting annoyed with some fragrances because I'm kind of a feminist. Their titles, blurbs and bottle are sometimes just cheesy or downright offensive.

For example, Escada's "Rockin' Rio" and "Ibiza Hippie". They may be yummy scents, but the box is downright hideous and it makes me feel like an oversexed, vapid teenager.

Even though I enjoy "feminine" florals and fruits, I prefer a simple androgynous bottle styling. Any of you ladies in the same boat?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Are you put off by some women's fragrances because of their packaging?

Hi bernie,

Welcome to Basenotes!

Marketing, it seems to me, is often done with a machete rather than a scalpel.

Regards,
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Are you put off by some women's fragrances because of their packaging?

I've learned to ignore the bottle and the marketing because the perfume may be something I really enjoy - which is why I would pay for it in the first place - the scent. If I don't like the bottle I hide it behind the other bottles that I DO like. And I never pay attention to marketing.

Oh, and welcome!

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

What does it say about me if I claim to be a staunch feminist who's highly attracted to pastels, ribbons, bows and lace?

At any rate ... am revolted by really plasticky-looking things. Be plain or be fancy, but don't insult my sense of quality. And I'm with virgo75--marketing bulletproof.
    Monarch butterflies require milkweed to prevent extinction

I never pay the slightest attention to the packaging. Years ago, when I sold copy-cat perfumes, that was the biggest selling point. Plain packing, and great scent. Now, my philosophy is exactly the same, except that now I'm dealing with really great scent. SL fragrances are the perfect example of the contents being the most important thing. The packaging, after all, is incredibly bland. But who cares?
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a woman...but the boy's forum is boring. (sorry ladies)

I'm totally drawn by nice packaging...flaky I know, but true. Serge Lutens bell jars are so pretty that I could easily buy one just for the bottle...luckily what's inside is incredible too. Not surprisingly, the export bottles are very bland and I was never even tempted to pick one up until recently.

I'm really turned off by gaudy, overdone bottles. Clive Christian for example...crystal & diamonds & gold...bleh. I think the worst has to be the bedazzled Versus bottles. Tacky.

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    I'm not a woman...but the boy's forum is boring. (sorry ladies)
    Goody, goody. Join our chatter.
    Monarch butterflies require milkweed to prevent extinction

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Goody, goody. Join our chatter.
    Aw...thanks. I hardly wear any men's scents anymore anyway...ladies have it WAY better in the fragrance department.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    What does it say about me if I claim to be a staunch feminist who's highly attracted to pastels, ribbons, bows and lace?
    Well said. Probably someone who is confident enough in her beliefs not to worry about any naysayers
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Hi Bernat.....and welcome to Basenotes. You directed this question to the ladies so I'll give You my point of view. Of course I do not speak for all Men.....and I might be all by myself on this thought....Plus I always like to see what's going on over on the Ladies side..... The Bottle, The Packaging, and the Scent itself are all important to me. I like the whole project to be well thought out.....I do not want to get the feeling that something was thrown together just so a certain brand could have a launch. Simple is fine if it is done with class.
    One thing that does drive me crazy....I purchased a bottle of Niche Fragrance and I won't say the name....A simple Bottle with a sticker label that was not on the bottle straight....I couldn't deal with a crooked sticker. I know that may sound crazy, but it's just the way I am. So I sent the fragrance back. I know that sounds nuts but that's me.....And again.....Welcome to Basenotes.
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like

I have a few crooked labels...Caron and Dior CB.

It's always great to hear from the guys in the ladies forum!! They give us a fresh perspective in many areas.

Anyway, back to the topic on hand. I also lean towards being a feminist. I am put off by the packaging, especially when it's overly done without any design sensibilities. I love stark, spare bottles, like the chanels, the Serge Lutens, Guerlain Matiere collection, Herme's rounded rectangles, etc. But I also love the curvy bottles, like the bee bottles, Caron picot bottles, and especially enjoy traditional cut crystal bottles on my dresser.

To me, the bottle has to have great visual design and must be functional, rather than funky, vampy or trashy.

Having said that I'm with Virgo75, if I find something wonderful with a crappy bottle, I'll just hide it or decant it!
    Last edited by dimples; 9th November 2007 at 01:16 AM.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Post Thanks / Like

Its funny, as much as I love the spare, minimalist bottles, I really love some of the fussier, ornate bottles...I constantly contradict myself. The Guerlain parfum bottles are beautiful...as are the bee bottles you mentioned.

I actually bought Halston Z14 because of the bottle...rich, organic brown beauty. I wish what was inside was nicer...

Post Thanks / Like

Totally with everyone who can't about bottle quality and label alignment! I don't think it's nitpicky at all, it's a valid issue if it annoys you every time you use it.

And now I feel like doing some fragrance hatin'. Note: This is not a personal attack on anyone who enjoys these! I honestly respect and envy you for being able to ignore it and simply enjoy the fragrance.

Gucci's Envy Me: It just makes me think of pretentious hoes who make a big deal out of wearing *Gucci*.
    Valentino's Rock and Rose: cheesy, reminds me of late 90s "grrl power".
    Nanette Lepore: cutesy doodles and polka dot bow? ugh.
    YSL Baby Doll: the fragrance and bottle may be alright, but the title is diminutive to women. I'm only 21 and I would be embarrassed to tell people who ask "Oh, I'm wearing..Baby Doll..."
    Ralph Lauren's Romance: total cheese
    YSL Young Sexy Lovely: ageist, obvs
    Moschino's I Love Love: I'm torn here. It's so tacky it's almost cool again. Almost.
    Guerlain's My Insolence: cutesy, quasi-feminist implications

Phew! I'm could go on, but I'll spare. Thanks for reading.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't pay the least bit of attention to how it's packaged. All I want to know is if it smells good, and more importantly if it smells good does it smell good on me.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am a feminist, but I don't think my politics have anything to do with the way I respond aesthetically to packaging. I prefer perfumes in artful bottles, and don’t like trashy packaging. To be feminist does not mean to be unfeminine.

What I won’t do is buy any product that promotes either violence against women in the ad campaigns or the kind of misogynistic objectification of women in ads like the recent garbage from Tom Ford. I wouldn’t care what his juice smells like – my husband, uncles, nephews will never get a gift of any of his products from me. I’ve learned to vote with my checkbook.
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

Angry Re: Are you put off by some women's fragrances because of their packaging?

As hard as I might try to steer clear of irritating packaging and ads, I base my decision on the scent itself (except for Sean Combs who I find to be unforgivable, indeed). One fragrance I recall was very sloppily packaged, Fleur de Weil, that bothered me a bit at the time. Ultimately, I sure wish I had more!

Irritating ads and packaging for other products are not so easy to forgive. One example comes to mind: that turbo-stupid ad for Metamucil "Berry Beautiful Bowels" As if we should have to worry about people thinking our colon is unattractive. What crap (pardon the pun). Can you tell I despise that ad? If I need something for regularity, I'll go with habanero peppers, thank you very much.

Post Thanks / Like

I keep most of my perfumes in their boxes (those that came in boxes anyway) but I haven't got too many that look frivalous - Belles de Ricci Liberty Fizz is my funkiest bottle, but I don't really mind.
    I'm more put off my naff celebrity fragrances. I couldn't wear anything by Britney Spears or Paris Hilton, no matter how good the juice. I'd just be too embarrassed.

Post Thanks / Like

Evening (well over here it is) ladies,

If I'm allowed to chime in (there are only so many topics over at the boys board.. :P)....
    I think if a fragrance smells really nice, I'd like to think that the presentation and the bottle and everything would be 'fitting'... Not overdone, not too fancy, and if a fragrance is average with horribly unsuitable bottling and packaging, I probably wouldn't buy it... On that matter, if the fragrance is absolutely irresistable - a must have, in other words, I probably wouldn't care..

I can see how 'trashy' packagings can be sort of off putting, and I couldn't agree more.. Whatever it is that carries the fragrance, if a beautiful one, should justify it.. I wouldn't mind, and found in most cases, that this can be achieved through very simple design really..
    In the sweetness of friendship let there be laughter, and sharing of pleasures. For in the dew of little things the heart finds it's morning, and is refreshed. -Kahlil Gibran

Current Favourites: Mandarine by Il Profvmo, Sculpture Homme by Nikos

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely. Nearly all pefume bottles are hideous to my mind and Clive Christian's are dreadful. Goodness knows why they do it. There are so many perfumes out there and I find it so hard to know where to start I would probably ignore those which are especially tacky. Got sprayed with the CC 1872 for women and loved it so if I could afford it I'd certainly buy it. I mostly prefer the men's bottles and the men's prefumes too although I generally use Miss Dior and have done for last 40 years (sorry I'm an old fogey!!). MD pacaging is acceptable but the Cherie perfume and bottle are awful!

Post Thanks / Like

I welcome the Emporio Armani canisters (e.g. She and Remix.) They are great for
    slipping in your handbag with no chance of spillage.
    As regards beautiful bottles, I love the AA Guerlain bottles. SMN, Cristobal and SL Bell Jars.
    Do not care for the cheap Cinnabar bottle - so boring and ugly!

Post Thanks / Like

You mean like Jean Paul Gaultier's Classique? (The one that looks like a mannequin bust wearing lingerie?)

Yes, this stuff puts me off. But I must admit, I own Rockin' Rio. (Too yummy to resist... Plus, I can throw away the box, and the bottle is heart-shaped and inoffensive.)

I almost didn't purchase Dior Addict because the ads had a model in lingerie who looked like a heroin addict. But I must have no morals, because I still own it.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    Well said. Probably someone who is confident enough in her beliefs not to worry about any naysayers
    You know, Quarry and TwoRoads? That's true. A real feminist can wear ribbons and lace. We don't have to wear army boots to be strong, classy women.
    --------------------------------------
    BTW, when it was between Acqua di Parma's Arancia Capri and L'Artisan's Mandarine Tout Simplement for a good orange, I think I chose MTS mostly because of the gorgeous orange-tinted bottle with the pretty atomizer. (I'm a sucker for pretty packaging.)
    Last edited by Kotori; 10th November 2007 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

—from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay