Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Most iconic female fragrance?

Again, sorry if this has already been covered! I'm new.

Some of the most iconic fragrances to me are (obvs?) Chanel No. 5, Shalimar, and Creed. I don't exactly love them, but they just seem to have this gravitas, a patina of history and they seem to keep winning awards.

What are your classics / icons?
    Last edited by bernat; 9th November 2007 at 02:13 AM. Reason: typoi

Default Re: Most iconic female fragrance?

Mitsouko by Guerlain.

Eau Sauvage - the first male scent to include hedione to expand the jasmine note.
    Very classy and very sexy, even now forty years on.

Diorissimo - unashamedly feminine and a lily of the valley lover's dream.

Youth Dew - the first really strong perfume.

Angel - so unique and ground-breaking, whether you love it or not! (The Marmite of the
    fragrance world.)

Iconic - "Having a conventional formulaic style".........?????
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Iconic: of, pertaining to, or characteristic of an icon.

Icon: One who is the object of great attention and devotion; an idol

That's the problem--iconic fragrances get all the attention.
    For example: In Chanel, No. 5 is the icon.
    However, No. 19, Bois des Iles, and Cuir de Russie deserve the attention and devotion. Are they promoted? No. Can one even find them in the department stores? No.
    As a Guerlain fan, I could nominate a bunch, but Chamade, Apres L'Ondee, L'Heure Bleu, Jicky, Mitsouko, and Vol de Nuit come to mind as much as Shalimar.
    See what I mean?

and yet, the moment I read
    the thread topic, the first
    one that popped into
    my head was

of course:

Shalimar

then later,

Chanel #5

and after that:

Cabochard

and speaking of Cabochard,
    has anyone tried the new
    Ambre de Cabochard
    by Grès released this year?
    Last edited by Agent Provocateur; 9th November 2007 at 04:32 PM. Reason: to add a few things :)
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

Would like to add Fracas and Joy to the list...
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Nothing can beat No. 5's iconic status. And I agree with purplebird.

Please visit SalonAesthetica.com (undergoing redecorating, but still open for business and will be motoring along soon)

Quote Originally Posted by Sestra View Post
    Kelly Caleche smells like Beelzeebub's urine to me...

Can Creed really count for as iconic? I don't think so...

Nothing would beat number five in this area, that is for sure.

Despite my Jungian preference, I use free association on occasion to see what I consistently associate with certain words and images. When I hear or see the word 'perfume,' Chanel No. 5 is the first thing that comes to mind. Always.

Last edited by Sloan; 9th November 2007 at 06:41 PM.

As I read this topic the 1st scent for Women that came to my mind was Chanel No. 5.....
    Gary

I think Creed is an icon because of the history, prestige, and widely regarded quality.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by sloan_8013 View Post
    Despite my Jungian preference, I use free association on occasion to see what I consistently associate with certain words and images. When I hear or see the word 'perfume,' Chanel No. 5 is the first thing that comes to mind. Always.

Haha, yes! I think of Marilyn Monroe and Chanel No. 5 too. Probably because of that quote where says it's her pajamas. I always think of that when I can smell my fragrance when I get into bed.

Also, it was in A. I. (Artificial Intelligence by Spielberg) in The Future as an "incredibly limited" perfume.

I don't think any other perfume is as much of a household name. I wish so hard that I could dig it!
    Last edited by bernat; 9th November 2007 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

LOVE the Marilyn quote.

And I believe the ,No.5 bottle and box are in the Museum of Modern Art. How's that for iconic.

Please visit SalonAesthetica.com (undergoing redecorating, but still open for business and will be motoring along soon)

Adding to the list, although I think No 5, Shalimar and Joy are probably *the* iconic perfumes.

24, Faubourg
    L'Interdit
    Chanel Gardenia
    Last edited by beachroses; 9th November 2007 at 07:43 PM.

Without a question, it would have to be Chanel No. 5. Like many here, it's the first scent that comes to my mind when I think of "iconic".
    Last edited by MFfan310; 9th November 2007 at 07:44 PM.
    "It always seems impossible until it's done." -Nelson Mandela

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

the whole "classic, while not quite iconic" category is certainly interesting to ponder...and a much longer list.

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310 View Post
    Without a question, it would have to be Chanel No. 5. Like many here, it's the first scent that comes to my mind when I think of "iconic".
    This would be my number one choice, too!

(-and I guess the iconic part here really is Marilyn, because whenever I think about no. 5, I also think about her. Don't you guys, too???)
    --Bob Dylan

Actually, I first think of Coco Chanel in her pearls, Chanel suit, and gardenia. But Marilyn is a close second.

Quote Originally Posted by musse View Post
    This would be my number one choice, too!

(-and I guess the iconic part here really is Marilyn, because whenever I think about no. 5, I also think about her. Don't you guys, too???)
    Nice try and a good test, if I may say so, to determine our inherent shallowness and initial kneejerk reaction, but no - I don't need No. 5 to think about Marilyn Monroe! ::uses first smilie he finds that has horns::
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    Nice try and a good test, if I may say so, to determine our inherent shallowness and initial kneejerk reaction, but no - I don't need No. 5 to think about Marilyn Monroe! ::uses first smilie he finds that has horns::
    Hey - with 'guys' I didn¨t mean males, only, just that to me this is the one perfume where you immediately have this association to a certain woman.

Maybe we should start a thread about which perfumes you connect with whom?

Which famous woman do you think of when you think of Shalimar, for example?

See?
    --Bob Dylan

Hey - with 'guys' I didn¨t mean males, only, just that to me this is the one perfume where you immediately have this association to a certain woman.

Maybe we should start a thread about which perfumes you connect with whom?

See?
    I know musse - here you are being focused and serious and I'm being lighthearted and trying to send the conversation somewhere else. I apologize. To make it up, here is a list of the female fragrances that have been inducted into the Fragrance Foundation's (FIFI) Hall of Fame:

Angel
    Arpege
    Chanel No. 5
    Coco
    Donna Karan
    Eternity
    Fracas
    Giorgio
    Joy
    L'air du Temps
    Obsession
    Poison
    Shalimar
    White Linen
    Youth Dew

I don't associate any particular person with any of these, but maybe you guys can! ('guys' in a non-gender specific way of course ) <----- I can't help it - send me home!
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 9th November 2007 at 11:08 PM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

My mother . It's the only perfume she's owned for as long as I can remember. [Awwww.]

Thanks for posting that list, TwoRoads!

I'm surprised to see that Mitsouko are not among them but GIORGIO is!

TwoRoads: I am seldom focused and serious, and besides, - trying to express what I mean in English is always a struggle for me...

--Bob Dylan

Thanks for posting that list, TwoRoads!

I'm surprised to see that Mitsouko are not among them but GIORGIO is!

TwoRoads: I am seldom focused and serious, and besides, - trying to express what I mean in English is always a struggle for me...

the nominating panel must have been doing tequila shots just before deciding on Giorgio. "We need the most loud and offensive frag ever stewed up in a perfume lab...wait! How about Giorgio!?"

To be honest, it is iconic and representative of the style and tastes of the 80's, every bit as much as the ripped sweatshirt neckline, legwarmers, Lacroix pouf skirts, and big hair....which says a lot about the 80's fragrance history.

It is a struggle for me as well - and it's the only language in which I am even semi-fluent.

Quote Originally Posted by MiaKulpa View Post
    the nominating panel must have been doing tequila shots just before deciding on Giorgio. "We need the most loud and offensive frag ever stewed up in a perfume lab...wait! How about Giorgio!?"

To be honest, it is iconic and representative of the style and tastes of the 80's, every bit as much as the ripped sweatshirt neckline, legwarmers, Lacroix pouf skirts, and big hair....which says a lot about the 80's fragrance history.
    Hee! Fake Giorgio conjures that for me.

Quote Originally Posted by MiaKulpa View Post

True...but they could have included Opium, which is a gooood frag...

That list is not complete, though, I guess...
    --Bob Dylan

True...but they could have included Opium, which is a gooood frag...

That list is not complete, though, I guess...
    Opium by YSL was FIFI's Fragrance of the Year in 1993 but as yet is not in their Hall of Fame. The Hall of Fame list is complete as I know it. What I haven't included are the annual award winners.
    I'm surprised to see that Mitsouko are not among them
    Shalimar is the only Guerlain fragrance that is in the FIFI Hall of Fame. I haven't done an exhaustive search, but as far as I know, none of the other Guerlains have even won a FIFI Fragrance of the Year award.
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 10th November 2007 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

The most iconic female fragrance for me is Chanel No. 5 with that classic Marilyn photo. But I must say - being a teenager in late 80's and 90's - the iconic fragrances that I remember (and I guess their advertising campaigns!) are:

Red Door
    Samsara
    Giorgio
    Poison

Real silage monsters!!
    “If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.” Tallulah Bankhead - Actress

The usual suspects have already been named (No. 5, Shalimar, Poison, Mitsouko, etc.), so I'll go for a modernist reinterpretation of "iconic":

-Chanel Coco Mademoiselle
    -Kenzo Flower
    -Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue
    -Fracas
    -Prada
    -L'Instant de Guerlain
    -Eternity
    -Bvlgari Pour Femme
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

—from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay

The first that pops in my mind, and that best describes "iconic female" (which in my mind, is something of a caricature of the feminine) is Shalimar.

Explorator Dumpsterorum

First, Chanel N&#186; 5
    Second, Joy

It's odd that Caron's aren't more "iconic"?!
    Last edited by Ezhno; 12th November 2007 at 02:54 AM. Reason: afterthought

Cow Tipper Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

#5 has to be it. IMO it is almost legendary in the general public's mind.
    These things cannot be long hidden: the Sun, the Moon, the Truth--Buddha

Shalimar's still the one.
    After that, Tabac Blond.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 12th November 2007 at 06:46 AM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Default Most iconic female fragrance?

I don't venture into this area (women's) too often . . . my first inclination would be to say Chanel No. 5 also. But something bothers me about that.

I guess that it's because Chanel No. 5 is a relatively EXPENSIVE fragrance. It's something that not every woman could afford to own. For the gentlemen, I think that OLD SPICE is so "iconic" in the USA because it's so AFFORDABLE and ACCESSIBLE to all men.

Chanel No. 5 may be an icon of class and high price, but would it be considered "iconic" by most women? Dunno . . . although my mother did own a bottle. I would consider Chanel No. 5 to be the ultimate "status" fragrance. WHITE SHOULDERS would be an icon in its own way, of course, as would SHALIMAR.

A lot of folks here on Basenotes seem to like only exotic, esoteric and expensive fragrances, which is fine . . . but I don't know how compatible those qualities are with being "iconic." How can something that few people have ever even heard of be an "icon?"

How about some of the Avon classics, like SWEET HONESTY, CHARISMA, or COTILLION? My own personal favorite, and something that I wish that they'd bring back, is MOONWIND. My mother purchased, and wore, gallons of the stuff in the 1970s. That is the one fragrance that always makes me think of her, so for me, it's an "icon!" :-) They say that, of all of the senses, olfaction is the one most closely tied to memory (it's in my physiology textbook, as a matter of fact):

"One amazing aspect of olfaction is the link between smell, memory, and emotion. A special cologne or the aroma of food can trigger memories and create a wave of nostalgia for the time, place, or people with whom the aroma is associated. In some way that we do not understand, the processing of odors through the limbic system creates deeply buried olfactory memories. Particular combinations of olfactory receptors become linked to other patterns of sensory experience so that stimulating one pathway stimulates them all."
    --Silverthorn, Dee Unglaub, HUMAN PHYSIOLOGY: AN INTEGRATED APPROACH, 4th Ed., San Francisco, CA: Pearson, 2007, p. 343.
    Last edited by Pepe Le Pew; 13th November 2007 at 12:04 AM.

Mumtaz Mahal

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    Mitsouko by Guerlain.
    Totally agree with you!!

Wink Re: Most iconic female fragrance?

i think popualr women perfumeis versaces perfume
    Quote Originally Posted by miyeke View Post
    i think popular women perfume is versaces perfume
    my wife use bvlgarin and versaces perfume
    Last edited by miyeke; 19th November 2007 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Chanel No. 5 and Shalimar

My personal Iconic perfume is Opium YSL .

In my opinion

Le Dix by Balenciaga and Je Reviens by Worth are both very serious contenders for this title

I think Je Revien by Worth is a magnificent perfume!!!!!

inconic to the general masses? ...or to parfumistas?... depends a lot.
    "Diego: Why did you do that? you could've died trying to rescue me.
    Manfred: That's what you do in a herd: you look out for each other. " (Ice Age)

Both? I think maybe not the most iconic but the most influential in perfume was Coty's Chypre.

When you say "icon" and "perfume" in the same sentence, it's inevitable that Chanel No 5 springs to mind. Whether it's a personal favorite or not, it is a cultural icon; it's le monstre.

Shalimar and Arpege would be in the next tier.

When I saw "iconic" Chanel instantly popped up in my mind. So Chanel No.5 will be.

+1 for Chanel No. 5

C#5 absolutely exemplifies the word "perfume" in my mind...and I don't even care for the fragrance all that much.

For the connoisseur, Guerlain Mitsouko is high in the pantheon, but even that classic can't make this claim: Even people who don't know or care anything about perfume can identify Chanel No. 5 by the bottle shape alone. A true icon.

Chanel No 5

It's the most well-known perfume in the world, practically anyone will recognize it by sight. Marilyn Monroe claimed to sleep in two drops of it and Andy Warhol turned it into pop art.
    Last edited by tott; 23rd April 2010 at 08:56 PM.

Another for Chanel No. 5...
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel

No. 5 comes to my mind first, and it's the bottle - not Marilyn - that I visualize.

Basenotes Institution

+1 for Chanel No.5
    +1 for Mitsouko ...of course !
    Shalimar too .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

- chanel #5#
    -fracas
    -shalimar
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

POISON ... simple as that!

for me...

chanel 5
    24 faubourg
    Joy
    "Diego: Why did you do that? you could've died trying to rescue me.
    Manfred: That's what you do in a herd: you look out for each other. " (Ice Age)

It's a male fragrance but:

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    +1 for Chanel No.5
    +1 for Mitsouko ...of course !
    Shalimar too .
    Yup, yup, and yup!
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

Much as I hate to admit it, I agree with Chanel #5 - in theory!

Joy, Shalimar and Arpege too!

Reine

In the real world Chanel No.5.

In the perfume world Mitsouko.

I will add Romance and Lauren by Ralph Lauren
    Gary