Code of Conduct

Default What fragrance is your pet peeve?

Not to stir up contention, just a little honest dialogue.

My vote is on anything from the Paris Hilton or Britney Spears lines, mostly just on principle.
    Last edited by bernat; 9th November 2007 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Removed typo

Default Re: What fragrance is your peet peeve?

Aaaah, don't worry about the title--we know what you mean. I do think you can edit the title if you go to advance edit.
    Please, spritz responsibly.

Default Re: What fragrance is your peet peeve?

Thanks. I love your signature!

"friends don't let friends spritz...and spritz and spritz and spritz"?
    Last edited by bernat; 9th November 2007 at 03:43 AM. Reason: tyyyyypo

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What fragrance is your pet peeve?

The sheer number of product releases. We're bombarded, and 99% should never have been put on the market because they don't provide anything new or improved.
    Last edited by Quarry; 9th November 2007 at 03:49 PM.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

acqua di gio. it's not that i dislike the scent, it's more than... i don't know... it's so lacking anything that really interests me yet is so popular! i keep thinking 'damn, there's so much more to this whole perfume thing! guys, seriously!' each time i smell it.
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors

I agree with quarry. The industry is my pet peeve. Not only the frantic pace of new releases, but the "re-releases" that smell nothing like the originals, celebrities hopping on the bandwagon, and the restrictions that are making a mockery of perfumery.

I second, third and ratify Quarry's wise statement.

In a similar vein, I abhor the increasing "scent brief" method of creating new fragrances. Why? Mostly because I've seen the same thing in Hollywood destroy the quality of film ("...lots of special effects, and explosions, and...who's hot right now? Get them to star/direct. and what is the projected gross? Has it been done before? Yes? Good then it's safe bet. what age bracket are we gearing this to? kids go to movies a lot! yeah! get marketing reports. get Spielberg/Cameron/Bay/Fincher on the phone...")

Please visit SalonAesthetica.com (undergoing redecorating, but still open for business and will be motoring along soon)

Quote Originally Posted by Sestra View Post
    Kelly Caleche smells like Beelzeebub's urine to me...

Celebrity scents are taking up all the shelf space in small dept stores, we are having a hard time finding anything to choose from on account of it. People in big cities probably don't have this problem, but it's BUGGING ME!!! I am also sick of Armani, Calvin Klein, Clinique, Estee Lauder, Lancome, and Elizabeth Freaking Taylor.
    Last edited by beachroses; 9th November 2007 at 09:06 PM.

i'd like to add Drakkar Noir. Makes me think of a mid-90s wanker and/or date rape.

Same thing goes for the Abercrombie fragrance. I swear I can smell it 50 feet away from the store if the doors are open. At least it's, uh, distinct.
    --------------------------------------
    Hmm, maybe this should go in the "Just Starting Out" board as a kind of tutorial on What Not to Do...
    Last edited by bernat; 9th November 2007 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Angry Re: What fragrance is your pet peeve?

Quote Originally Posted by beachroses View Post
    Celebrity scents are taking up all the shelf space in small dept stores, we are having a hard time finding anything to choose from on account of it. People in big cities probably don't have this problem, but it's BUGGING ME!!! I am also sick of Armani, Calvin Klein, Clinique, Estee Lauder, Lancome, and Elizabeth Freaking Taylor.

OH! I couldn't agree more!!! And yes, people in big cities DO have this problem! I'm in Chicago, and a Macy's store in the suburbs is in the process of discarding SHALIMAR, L'AIR DU TEMPS, GUCCI II EDP, among others!!! What were they making room for? USHER, SARAH JESSICA PARKER, BRITNEY SPEARS, PARIS HILTON, DONALD TRUMP, MARIAH CAREY, HILARY DUFF, etc., etc., etc. Need I mention that Britney Spears alone has 5 fragrances on the shelves, Paris has at least 3, and SJP has 2.

I am so sick of this!

As far as actual specific fragrances that irritate the crap out of me, they are:

-CHLOE NARCISSE
    -FRACAS (sorry, fracas fans-- I'm highly allergic)
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

—from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay

I don't mean offense to people who like those lines, but I really want something else to choose from! It's hard shopping for fragrances online all the time, I really get tired of ordering samples, waiting, not really liking most of the ones I pick, and if I could just go to a counter and smell a few, that would make life so much easier! I would buy from them, but they don't offer what I want!!

I've seen another problem with parents who would like to get their teenage girls a scent and if they take them to those counters, all those perfumes by pop stars who act like tramps, have drug problems or get arrested for drunk driving are in their faces, so what starts as a wonderful mother/daughter trip turns into confict and frustration. I can't believe they are pushing that on everyone, especially girls, which is who those fragrances are marketed toward. Why not offer Baby Doll, Hanae Mori, Lolita Lempicka?
    Last edited by beachroses; 10th November 2007 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by beachroses View Post

I've seen another problem with parents who would like to get their teenage girls a scent and if they take them to those counters, all those perfumes by pop stars who act like tramps, have drug problems or get arrested for drunk driving are in their faces, so what starts as a wonderful mother/daughter trip turns into confict and frustration. I can't believe they are pushing that on everyone, especially girls, which is who those fragrances are marketed toward. Why not offer Baby Doll, Hanae Mori, Lolita Lempicka?
    I was so excited when my 14 yr old niece told me she wanted perfume for Christmas this year, and "none of that fruity stuff"! Champ-Elysees? Amazing Grace? The possibilities...
    Then while in JC Penney’s yesterday with her, my sis, and mother - I slip over to the fragrances, she pops over and tells she was going to look for the Paris Hilton fragrances, which she says smell sooo good. :/ My heart sank. I admit that I haven't bothered to smell any of Paris' perfumes, but I'm resistant to throwing money in her direction, on principle.

I guess my peeve is with snobbery - wide-spread and rampant on all economic levels. Among the general public (and in my RL circle) , the obsession with designer labels, celebrity, and price tags; the attitude that if it's expensive (and that's relative) it must be superior.

Or OTOH, that if it's popular or common it must be without all artistry.

I shook my head, and said I just didn't think I could support Paris.
    My niece said, "Yes, Paris may be a skank, a slutbag, but she makes good perfume...Britney too." Sigh, maybe I'll go sniff some Paris and Brit scents...

Reformulations that remove ingredients and smell lesser as a result.
    That would be my first complaint.
    Don't get me started.
    *warning, warning, red light, siren*
    Secondly, most of the mainstream department store offerings bother me because they get all that shelf space when there are far better, more high-quality fragrances which are more deserving but recieve no marketing.

Caramel and chocolate in fragrances make me want to run screaming for the shower.

An SA once brandished a bottle of Badgley Mishka and chirped "Try it, it's sweet!" I said no thank you, she asked why not. I was this close to giving her one of those stares and decided against it. I said as politely as I could "Do you know the notes in this?" (I knew them, I just expected her to list them so I could say "oh, I really don't do well with this note" and be on my way) And she chirps back "I don't know, but try it, it's SWEEEEET!"
    I ran out. What would be the point?

And the fact that the short term profit obsession has won the war against carefully crafted quality fragrances and thoughtfully built up clientele. That imo is the death of the classic frag industry.