Code of Conduct

Default Fluer du Male compared to Le Male

My brother has Le Male, i stole a few sprays today, i really like it. Lasted ages..Kept getting wafts of it. I like fleur du male, and i'm not going to buy le male since both my brother and my friend wear it. What's fleur du male's sillage longevity like compared to le male? ALso, the same with Gaultier2, what do people have to say?

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Fluer du Male compared to Le Male

They are different monsters.

Gaultier 2 is very sweet and all about amber and vanilla - lots of vanilla. Fleur du Male is marketed as a rare "floral scent for men" and is all about orange blossom, especially the initial topnotes.

With both of these, I was initially very put off by them - thought they were horrible. But there was something about them that kept making me want to go back to the store and keep smelling and sampling them, multiple times. I now own and love both of them, and I get great longevity and sillage from both of them.

So definitley sample these before you make a purchase. Seems like most people either really love or really hate JPG fragrances.

Good luck!

the more I wear Fleur du Male, the more I feel soapy aspects of this scent

Gaultier 2 is a bit cloying to me
    Last edited by DreamerII; 11th March 2008 at 10:34 AM.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

In my opinion, Fluer du Male is the loudest (ie most sillage) and longest lasting of the JPG frags, but it definately isn't for me. I feel le Male and Gaultier^2 last about the same (bloody ages!), with Gaultier^2 projecting a bit more than le Male. Probably since its a edp rather than edt. le Male is easier to wear in warmer weather, I don't find it as cloying. Gaultier^2 is alot nicer for 'romantic' occaisions, or cooler nights.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony87 View Post
    In my opinion, Fluer du Male is the loudest (ie most sillage) and longest lasting of the JPG frags, [...]
    Interesting about FdM. I have found the sprayer very capable of modulation and it does not have to be very loud if you do two half sprays.
    ===
    [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me nave, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross. ~ David Sedaris

Basenotes Institution

I think all of Gaultier fragrances are heavy, long lasting, high sillage fragrances.

I do not wear any of them, but I do admire Fleur de Male the most. The orange blossom note (when applied lightly) is bold, lush and tenacious. There are better orange blossom fragrances out in the market - but not marketed to men, in a department store fragrance.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 11th March 2008 at 02:39 PM.

I like Fleur more than Le Male. It has a lush orange blossom opening which within minutes reveals a woody petitgrain aroma. The backend of this scent is similar to Le Male's, with perhaps less lavender. The orange blossom/petitgrain accord tames the cinnamon-vanilla-musk-amber-tonka Le Male signature and to me its more pleasant and wearable.
    -

We BNers have a compulsory necessity of describing notes... he asked about sillage and longevity. I have found that while the 3 fragrances are very long lasting with high sillage, Le Male is the one that gets more cloying than the rest.
    Last edited by irish; 11th March 2008 at 07:09 PM.

Agree with Mike about the strength of JPG products, I would say all of them are extremely strong! But I don't recommend buying Gaultier2 and/or Fleur Du Male based on your admiration of Le Male(I've did the same mistake!!!). These 3 have very different styles and smells. Although Fleur Du Male has many notes in common with Le Male, it is dominated by Orange Blossoms and vanilla. And Gaultier2 is very mysterious and its style has some kind of darkness to it...
    Last edited by msi_21; 12th March 2008 at 05:49 AM.

Thanks everyone for the input! I already know what gaultier2 and fleur du male smell like. I've sampled them a number of times.

I've decided i'll buy both, plus more CkOne. Can anyone suggest a site that i could get the best deal at, that ships to Australia?

strawberrynet, fragrancenet, ebay I've used.
    Also mysuperdeals have been ok, but some people have reportedly got sent fakes. Essentialmall is another website, but I'm pretty sure thats just strawberrynet in a different website.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576