Code of Conduct

Default Montale is a Sillage/Longevity Monster

I previously had a sample of a Montale that a basenotes member sent me in a swap, so I was already used to how powerful the fragrance is, but with my newly received free samples that Montale was kind enough to send to me from Paris, I really have to confirm this, especially with the Black Aoud. Their line really is powerful in terms of sillage and longevity - So much so, that I have to use it quite sparingly so as not to overdo it.

Default Re: Montale is a Sillage/Longevity Monster

I got my package of Montale goodies for the wife. All rose concoctions and surprise I got some Montale Rose absolute.
    I spritzed about a half a spritz of it from a small spritzer and all of a sudden there was a rose in my kitchen that was the size of my kitchen.

Basenotes Institution

I just got home from a birthday party at a sushi restaurant - where I wore Black Aoud. Everyone thought the candles (on the table right in front of where I was sitting) smelled so good, when in fact it was my Black Aoud eminating all around me.

Powerful juice.

I stayed with a friend in Paris last week. I had bought her Rose Musk as a gift last year. Well her apartment stinks to high hell of roses and aoud and it has really put me off Montale. It's the perfume equivalent of being around a chain smoker, the aoud gets into everything, so beware.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 11th March 2008 at 03:04 AM.

Well it's about high time i found out what all the Black Oud fuss is about .

I ordered a sample from Luckyscent (along with a sample of Nasomatto Duro) .
    Last edited by knightowl; 11th March 2008 at 03:29 AM.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

You're so right! Its such a strong perfume. Thats why I have a technique of opening my sample vial and then closing it, and rubbing the excess perfume on myself as to not overapply. I can absolutely see what you mean.

Wimps! I spray three times on my wrists and three on my chest. But then again, I spend a lot of time by myself.

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    I got my package of Montale goodies for the wife. All rose concoctions and surprise I got some Montale Rose absolute.
    I spritzed about a half a spritz of it from a small spritzer and all of a sudden there was a rose in my kitchen that was the size of my kitchen.
    In you I trust
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Yes indeed. I ordered a Black Aoud sample from the perfumed court and their spray vials tend to squirt rather than spray. With BA, this resulted in blasting anyone and anything within a ten mile radius. Ended up buying it anyway with that crazy sale and I'm glad I did. A simply mist and voila...beautiful.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I stayed with a friend in Paris last week. I had bought her Rose Musk as a gift last year. Well her apartment stinks to high hell of roses and aoud and it has really put me off Montale. It's the perfume equivalent of being around a chain smoker, the aoud gets into everything, so beware.
    Are you sure it was Roses Musk? That has no Aoud in it... Maybe it was Aoud Damascus or Black Aoud? (or among a list of a dozen Aoud/Rose Montale scents)
    Check out my fragrances for sale at Crystal Flacon - NEW! Updated - Click Here!
    Creed, Bond No.9, Montale, Frederic Malle, Le Labo, Amouage
    Niche Fragrances / Women's Fragrances / Men's Fragrances

If the apartment stinks it could be several reasons, biggest of all you may not like the smell of room sized florals. There's no way to control how much Montale, lets say Black Aoud is sprayed but from experience a fragrance user will notice it only needs a light touch.

I shudder to think what the uninitiated would do with the Montale Rose absolute or what some SA's might call the nitro-methane of rose fragrances.
    Over application could have an observer swear there was a 20 to 50 foot rose in the room with them. It is that engulfing and probably should be applied with the tip of a toothpick. I think.

There's also the fact that a lot of women feel no reason not to smell like a $1000.00 bouquet of flowers and who am I to argue. I just sneezed.
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 11th March 2008 at 06:36 AM.

On one of my first samplings of Black Aoud, I had a cotton pullover covering the spot on my wrist where I had dabbed it on lightly. A couple days later I noticed that the rose was still very much "alive" on that pullover (while the oud had by then "departed"). My conclusion was that: when wearing Montale "aouds", proceed cautiously and apply very lightly. Even a half-spritz can be too much.

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    If the apartment stinks it could be several reasons, biggest of all you may not like the smell of room sized florals. There's no way to control how much Montale, lets say Black Aoud is sprayed but from experience a fragrance user will notice it only needs a light touch.

I shudder to think what the uninitiated would do with the Montale Rose absolute or what some SA's might call the nitro-methane of rose fragrances.
    Over application could have an observer swear there was a 20 to 50 foot rose in the room with them. It is that engulfing and probably should be applied with the tip of a toothpick. I think.

There's also the fact that a lot of women feel no reason not to smell like a $1000.00 bouquet of flowers and who am I to argue. I just sneezed.
    I agree that one has to use Highness Rose very (!) sparsely to be able to enjoy it, a friend told me to combo it with MKK and I found it indeed very good to combine those two.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascella View Post
    I agree that one has to use Highness Rose very (!) sparsely to be able to enjoy it, a friend told me to combo it with MKK and I found it indeed very good to combine those two.
    I tried Black Aoud and MKK twice and I keep sniffing the MKK. God I love the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    Well it's about high time i found out what all the Black Oud fuss is about .

I ordered a sample from Luckyscent (along with a sample of Nasomatto Duro) .
    knightowl----Please get back with us on Black Aoud and Duro. Both in my top five list of loves.

I've been consistently nodding my heading, while reading through this thread, but that's one of the reasons why I love Montale frags so much. Anyway, I'm planning to buy four or five in Paris, next month, and will ask for ALL of them to have extra perfume added...

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    knightowl----Please get back with us on Black Aoud and Duro. Both in my top five list of loves.

I sure will .
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Can anyone here offer any Montale suggestions?
    Im a Montale virgin (thanks to limited distribution), and would like to order a sample or two with an order Im placing at ausliebezumduft.

Knowing my fondness for geranium, and my fave scents listed in my signature below, can anyone make any recommendations?
    And has anyone any feedback re: Blue Amber? Its "bourbon geranium" sounds very intriguing!

Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 11th March 2008 at 05:06 PM.

I wore Red Aoud a few days ago. One spray on chest, one between wrists and reapplied another spritz 10 hours later because I was sure it had faded. 2 hours later I met up with a group of friends and they told me whatever it was that I was wearing, it was kinda overpowering. I didn't know, but apparently I was leaving a mega sillage trail.

Lol, after reading this thread, I sprayed some of my Black Aoud sample onto a ball of cotton wool and dabbed it onto my wrists. I went downstairs and my mom immediately said I smelt like an arab! Damn, it's potent!

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Lol, after reading this thread, I sprayed some of my Black Aoud sample onto a ball of cotton wool and dabbed it onto my wrists. I went downstairs and my mom immediately said I smelt like an arab! Damn, it's potent!
    not for nothing......but your mother's blatant stereotyping came across hilariously.

P.S you smelled like one expensive arab.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Hmm, the stereotyping is funny, but I think the Aouds do have those connotations! My mom owns an Asian clothing boutique, and some customers that we have that are ethnically from UAE or Dubai, do tend to smell like Aoud oils

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Im a Montale virgin (thanks to limited distribution), and would like to order a sample or two with an order Im placing at ausliebezumduft.

Knowing my fondness for geranium, and my fave scents listed in my signature below, can anyone make any recommendations?
    And has anyone any feedback re: Blue Amber? Its "bourbon geranium" sounds very intriguing!

Well, as you know, I think WT Black Tie is Montale Black Aoud lite, so I recommend you avoid that if you want something different from what you already own.

Outside of Black Aoud, I personally like Aoud Lime, Attar and Chocolate Greedy.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post

Blue Amber smells great, it's sweet and soft, if you like amber you should definitely try it, at least once .
    Last edited by Ascella; 12th March 2008 at 07:07 AM.