Code of Conduct

Default Perfume aficionados and cosmetics philosophy

The woman who got me into fragrance wears *absolutely no* other cosmetics. She literally wore it only to her wedding.

So what's your make-up philosophy? Are you a minimalist or do you take make-up as seriously as fragrance?

I consider myself a minimalist. I stick with skin stuff and a touch of eyeliner and mascara to look polished. I'll also use a little blusher or bronzer on days when I'm looking pallid, and some lippy for special occasions.

Default Re: Perfume aficionados and cosmetics philosophy

No makeup for me. If anything I may throw on my MAC lip glass, but that's about it. The closest thing I have to makeup would be my tinted cream for oily skin that controls the shine. I have really oily skin and a few blotches here and there, but I only wear that if I'm goin out mostly. No it's not base either. It's by Clinique. It's just like the T-Zone cream except it's tinted.

I don't wear nail polish or get my nails and eyebrows done. I don't really do any of that fluffy stuff. There are no surprises with me. I come as is and I smell good doing it too.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Total cosmetic junkie.
    But I only actually wear makeup three times a week at most.

Don't wear polish much usually just toe nails.
    DONNA

I don't really have a philosophy. I often don't wear makeup, but I do enjoy makeup. I like MAC Studio Fix foundation--it is lightweight, easy to apply, and flawless. I wear eyeliner and mascara. I love red lipstick, either Chanel or MAC Classy Dame. But fragrance: I indulge deeply, frequently, and with love.

Cool Re: Perfume aficionados and cosmetics philosophy

My skin burns really easily, so perfume is the the only thing I can wear during the day. At night I'm a minimalist. I'm not really into spending 20 minutes+ painting my face.

Quote Originally Posted by tdrps View Post
    My skin burns really easily, so perfume is the the only thing I can wear during the day. At night I'm a minimalist. I'm not really into spending 20 minutes+ painting my face.
    I hope you are using SPF 30 on your skin; especially down-under, I hear the sun is relentless.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

summer means fireflys

I wear makeup every day, but it's with a pretty light hand. I wear Lancome Dual Finish powder instead of foundation, a touch of blush, eyeshadow and mascara, and lipgloss.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Smile Re: Perfume aficionados and cosmetics philosophy

Quote Originally Posted by Brielle87 View Post
    I hope you are using SPF 30 on your skin; especially down-under, I hear the sun is relentless.
    Yep, sure am. The hardcore, anti-immunosuppression, enhanced-protection variety. If I fry my skin now, it won't look good 20 years down the track! (I'm 21).

Some people still don't heed the warnings. I was at the Australian (Tennis) Open yesterday, and I saw a bunch of leather-skinned people walking around with their heavily sunburned kids.

Sorry to ramble on, I just find it very frustrating and sad, given the health risks...

I spent years (throughout most of my twenties) absolutely makeup-less, but now I'm the type of girl who won't go to the dep (corner store) without at least mascara. I don't wear a lot of makeup, but I wear it all the time. Light foundation, concealer for dark circles, mascara, blush, sometimes eye shadow, and I apply lipstick every morning but eat it off before I get anywhere and forget to apply it for the rest of the day. I never wear nail polish. I just suck at applying it and rarely want to spring for the mani/pedi. But when I DO, I love it.
    Another belief of mine; that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.

Margaret Atwood

I put on a finisher most days, a bit of eyeshadow (neutral) and use black eyeshadow to lightly line my eyes instead of mascara. Wear Covergirl Tru-shine for lipstick because it is so sheer. And that is about it, takes less than 5 minutes to put on. I am lucky to have relatively clear skin (except at that time of the month).

I never wanted to be one of those ladies that can't go outside without makeup. I'd rather wow people when I do wear it than have them run from me when I don't I also have two daughters and am trying to teach them not to be a slave to fashion/makeup/trends.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The creation of something new is not accomplished by the intellect but by the play instinct acting from inner necessity. The creative mind plays with the objects it loves.
    Carl Jung
    Swiss psychologist (1875 - 1961)

I wear lipstick everyday, maybe a little powder. If I'm going to work or "out" I'll wear a "full face". My makeup wardrobe is very tame, though...even more so than my fragrance wardrobe. I will use something up before I go out and buy new, unlike my frags.
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

Sunscreen. lipgloss and perfume.

Sadly - about 2x per year I go on a cosmetics spree SWEARING I will pay more attention to my appearance.

After wasting 15 minutes putting on a "face" when I could have been sleeping, I give up on the whole cosmetics thing for another 6 months.

I figure this way a guy meeting me for the 1st time knows what I look like in the morning.
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

I'm rather a slave to my cosmetics, but I don't think I got crazy or anything. I always cleanse, tone and moisturise before I apply a primer and foundation. I will usually use a coverstick to hide blemishes and then powder over the top to set it all. Nothing on the eyes or cheeks beyond that, and just some lipgloss which I'm addicted to!

I'll go through this ritual for going out pretty much anywhere - work, class, sometimes even to the grocery store. I only go all natural when I'm hanging around at home all day, and only if my skin is looking pretty decent at the time. My boyfriend tells me I look just as good without makeup but I just don't believe him!

I'll only go all-out with the eyeliner, mascara, shadow, blush etc if I'm going out at night.

Used to wear the whole thing when I worked in cosmetics. I used to look like a Chanel advert from the 80's, dark red lips and all. Now I only wear fragrance, sunscreen 50+, and lip balm. Go figure, when I was 16 I looked like I was 40, now that I am near 40 I look like I am 27. I guess I preserved my skin with all the crap I put on, and all the cleansing cream to get it off.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Quote Originally Posted by cailan View Post

I never wanted to be one of those ladies that can't go outside without makeup. I'd rather wow people when I do wear it than have them run from me when I don't
    well said, and i completely agree.

in my case, i wear lipstick and that's about it. but i usually wear it with the lip liner (especially when i wear red). if i'm feeling ambious i'll put some mascara on, but that's it. usually, though, its just lipgloss/burts bees. i work in a fairly physically intensive shop, makeup would just end up on my shirt or something else; plus, i wear glasses, so eye makeup would be a waste.

sometimes, i wish though, i had the motivation to learn how to properly put on make up and to get up earlier to do it, since I do have a fairly large collection of make up.

I've had make up done for me for special events and what not (so it was all dramatic like) and (yes, i'm a vain little thing) i look amazing with my hair and makeup done. but in all reality... i prefer to sleep in than get up 20 minutes early to paint mah face and do mah hair. most days i wear a hat anyway.
    ~*~*~*~*~
    One by one the lava lamps are stealing my sanity...

I wear mascara only, nothing else. Luckily for me I have long dark lashes and I like to enhance them. I use ones that wash away easily, not the waterproof stuff. Lip balm is a constant companion because my lips feel dry after eating or brushing my teeth, but it is not a coloured balm, not a lipstick.

On the rare occasions when I've experimented with foundation, I found my face was in need of a good wash after about half an hour. I don't like that feeling of my pores being clogged up with gunge.

In am fairly new to skin care after years of neglecting even to moisturise. Fortunately I inherited reasonably line-free skin, and I have never been a sun seeker. I now use a range of skin care products and really enjoy that aspect of grooming, but adding more makeup is a step too far for me. I own some makeup that has been around for ages, but wearing it would make me too self-conscious.

I used to have bad skin and would never go anywhere without thick foundation. Now I'm 40 and my acne has gone I can get away with Clinique City Block and a bit of powder.
    I always use sheer lip colour (not sticky gloss...just a sheer lipstick). Thicker shades don't stay on.
    I always use brow powder - I look better with my brows more defined. I generally wear more natural shades than I did when younger (well, when I was 18-21 I wore eye make up like Siouxsie Sioux so that's not too hard, heh) but I always find if I don't line under my eye, I look tired.

I adore makeup, skincare, haircare and nailcare just as much as I do fragrance. For me, it's all part of the grooming process and it's a girly ritual which I love. Just as I'd feel naked without perfume, I also feel naked without makeup. It's not about feeling ashamed of my looks or trying to cover myself up (just as perfume isn't about hating my own natural scent); it's just about making myself look and feel (and smell!) as great as I can. I don't go overboard with the makeup - a typical day involves a tinted moisturiser/sunscreen in one, along with some blush/bronzer, mascara, a little eyeliner, concealer, highlighter (to enhance my cheekbones and browbones) and lipgloss. Applied with a light touch, I feel that I always look better when I leave the bathroom.

With my hair and nails, I prefer them to be "done" (not overdone, just nicely groomed) but I don't stress if they're a bit sub-par. As long as they are not raggedy, I am okay. I live in a hot climate so I try to keep my feet nice all the time, as they are in sandals a lot - and they look a lot prettier with some glossy coral polish. I am also not averse to a bit of fake tan, and I do colour my hair from time to time. I also have my brows and lashes tinted. It seems like a lot of effort - and I guess it is - but it is something that I thoroughly enjoy and at the end of the day, when it's all washed off, I don't look all that much different. It's not about "becoming a different person"; it's just about being the best "me" that I can be. My mother and grandmother are the same, btw, so I think attitudes to this kind of thing are formed early in life.
    Last edited by ozkat; 13th July 2008 at 08:44 AM.

I always wear makeup during the week for work and always wear makeup when going out for the evening. I just think it makes a woman look more polished and well groomed. I know which colours suit me and I never wear too much--just enough to enhance my natural beauty (and at night, a stronger look for the extra "oomph"--gotta vamp it up sometimes). That said, I go without makeup a lot of the time, during weekends for example, or to run the occasional errand.

To be honest I think all women look better with a little bit of well applied, well chosen makeup.

I agree that makeup, when well applied, can enhance looks. But I guess I'm in that group that would rather go mostly natural much of the time and pleasantly surprise people occasionally. Otherwise, I'm afraid I'd get hooked on makeup and be afraid to be seen without it. And I'm just too low maintenance to put it on every day.

That being said, I generally like to wear lipstick or lipgloss when I leave the house. So I don't go completely au naturel. And if I'm feeling a little insecure professionally or socially, I'll do a fuller application--light foundation, concealer, eyeliner, occasionally mascara. I think of it as a "protective mask," although I really don't have that much on. For a special date with my husband, I'll also jazz it up occasionally, much to his appreciation.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    I agree that makeup, when well applied, can enhance looks. But I guess I'm in that group that would rather go mostly natural much of the time and pleasantly surprise people occasionally. Otherwise, I'm afraid I'd get hooked on makeup and be afraid to be seen without it. And I'm just too low maintenance to put it on every day.

That being said, I generally like to wear lipstick or lipgloss when I leave the house. So I don't go completely au naturel. And if I'm feeling a little insecure professionally or socially, I'll do a fuller application--light foundation, concealer, eyeliner, occasionally mascara. I think of it as a "protective mask," although I really don't have that much on. For a special date with my husband, I'll also jazz it up occasionally, much to his appreciation.
    That's pretty much my make-up philosophy, too: I either go barefaced or with some lippie.

I'm too lazy to wear a full war paint on a daily basis, but occasionally enjoy making my face into a work of art and receiving the inevitable compliments humbly.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I wear some, I like to looked polished for work or going out but fairly natural - powder, some blush, highlighter, eyeliner, mascara, some color on my lips. I am pretty pale normally and my lips are nearly as pale so I look much healthier with some color, at least on my lips. I am not afraid of going anywhere barefaced though. Drugstore cosmetics are fine with me, I can't imagine paying what some women do for makeup. I don't have perfect skin, but I do have that naturally pearly transluscent glow to it.

I go through phases. Right now I'm pretty much makeup-less most of the time. I just can't be bothered, and my skin seems to be benefiting from the break. I wear lipgloss for protection and shine. If we go to a nice restaurant or party I'll wear makeup because it's appropriate to the occasion. I generally like a natural look. Heavy makeup looks drag queenish to me, and on a woman my age (50 next month) I think it's aging. I don't use many skin care products. I find skin care products boring. I use whatever moisturizer with sunscreen I find on sale in the drugstore. I use Olay foaming facial wash (but I'm not loyal to any particular brand). One product I LOVE using is a primer under makeup, when I do wear it. I have MAC's. It makes a perfectly smooth surface on which to apply makeup. It really makes a difference. I have way more perfume than I do makeup & skin care things.