Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Default Chypres without oakmoss

I guess the European Union is barring the use of oakmoss in perfumes. This really puts a dent in the traditional formula for chypre-style scents: bergamot or other prominent citrus in the top, and oakmoss, patchouli, and (optionally) labdanum or clary sage in the base.

It seems to me that some of the newer 'chypres' are doing even more radical surgery on the base notes. They are leaving out not only oakmoss, but also labdanum, and clary sage, and even, sometimes, the patchouli.

What does that leave of the traditional chypre formulation?

I for one hate to see this beautiful traditional style of perfumery radically altered. I think some of these noses who are putting out the "new chypres" ought to consider giving us something at least vaguely recalling the traditional style, and preferably, without a lot of synthetics and cheap ingredients. As cost go down, prices seem to go ever higher.

How do we send a message about these deplorable trends?
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Default Re: Chypres without oakmoss

Great question!

Although my interests have expanded since I found Basenotes, the Mossy Woods (Chypre) family is what initially sparked my interest in fragrances and is still the one I consider first.

I am interested in the answer as well.

Hopefully some of our parfumers will see this thread and give us insight into the future of chypres.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Default Re: Chypres without oakmoss

(costs cut + prices rise)*(who among milion customers, aside the spare connoisseurs, will care about it) = $INCOME$ £MORE INCOME£ €INCOME AGAIN€
    Hope there will be always at least few niche houses keeping high the flag of haute parfumerie