Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Most iconic MALE fragrance?

Well, there's a thread on the ladies board over what the most iconic women's fragrance is. (Like many, I thought Chanel No. 5 was it.) But what about the most iconic men's fragrance?

For me, whether you like it or not, and despite its dirt-cheap price tag and ubiquitous availability on Wal-Mart and CVS/pharmacy shelves, it would have to be Old Spice. After all, it was the scent that led a lot of folks to start wearing cologne due to its super-accessible pricepoint and attractive olfactory composition (which is still quite attractive today).

As proof to Old Spice's longevity in the fragrance world: P&G now offers Old Spice Classic Scent Body Wash and Body Spray! Obviously, this classic is here to stay.

Your thoughts?
    Last edited by MFfan310; 9th November 2007 at 07:52 PM.
    "It always seems impossible until it's done." -Nelson Mandela

Support Xscentrik - The World's First Crowdfunded Fragrance Store: http://igg.me/at/xscentrik/x/11176018

Default Re: Most iconic MALE fragrance?

I'm gonna go with Eau Sauvage.

To me it is a tossup between your Old Spice (which I still own and wear) and Aqua Velva Ice Blue. It seemed like everybody I knew growing up was an Aqua Velva man - even if they had not started to shave yet!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Well here it would be BRUT..no doubt......

Peace to your day,

Otto

thats a tough one chanel no. 5 is automatic for ladies.

Maybe? Green Irish Tweed. but maybe not
    Creed- Windsor (All-time favorite)
    Creed- GIT (signature)
    Lolita Lempica Au Masculin (fav gourmand)
    Creed-Aventus (biggest compliment getter)
    Serge Lutens- Arabie,Fumerie Turque, Chergui
    MFK-Lumiere Noire (fav mysterious scent)
    Santos de Cartier-Fav 80's
    Creed Spice & Wood

Well, Chanel No. 5 and Old Spice are worlds apart in price and sophistication.

Possible male equivalents:
    Acqua di Parma
    Eau Sauvage
    Aramis
    Pour Monsuier
    Polo Classic

Possibly even Obsession.
    Currently wearing: Royal Mayfair by Creed

Old Spice without a doubt.

Tie: Brut and Old Spice. Honestly, I have no idea who I would decide between the two.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Smile Re: Most iconic MALE fragrance?

Brut!!!

Varon Dandy
    Paco Rabanne PH

Brut and Old spice are classics for sure.. but are they "iconic"?

Dark, smokey, classy - Dali Homme.

I second Eau Sauvage

Basenotes Institution

Brut
    "Realize deeply that the present moment is all you will ever have."

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Shalimar by Guerlain

I'll say Eau Sauvage too, if only to have a comparable men's frag to Chanel No. 5.

Old Spice . . .

its not bad really and seems to get better with age. . .

I have a new bottle that I use just to splash on to wear around the house and the aftershave

Comparing a bottle of pre-Proctor and Gamble to a P&G one I would say that there is

very little difference aside from the fact that the new one smells a bit more like baby powder to my nose

I borrowed a bottle of my grandfathers "classic" old spice for the comparison

. . .I think the older one is smoother and less powdery. . .

I bet its just the age that does that though. . .and I have heard comments that the formula
    was changed but I am not so sure about that. . .and if it was it was a minor change

I would be curious to hear others opinions on this matter though.

Drakkar Noir. Not iconic in a good way, but iconic nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by bernat View Post
    Drakkar Noir. Not iconic in a good way, but iconic nonetheless.
    Agreed - I do not like it either. It is, however, one of the five men's fragrances in the Fragrance Foundation (FIFI) Hall of Fame:

Canoe
    Old Spice
    Paco Rabanne pour Homme
    Polo (Green)
    Drakkar Noir
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    It is, however, one of the five men's fragrances in the Fragrance Foundation (FIFI) Hall of Fame
    Really? Wow. Must be mob mentality or something. Or maybe they support FIFI somehow?

I'd like to add CK Eternity and Obsession. I have no idea if they're any good, I just remember them being my first experience with "high end" fragrance as a kid.
    Last edited by bernat; 9th November 2007 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bernat View Post
    Really? Wow. Must be mob mentality or something. Or maybe they support FIFI somehow?

I'd like to add CK Eternity and Obsession. I have no idea if they're any good, I just remember them being my first experience with "high end" fragrance as a kid.
    I think you are correct, it is possible that FIFI is actually a wholly-owned subsidiary of Guy Laroche/L'Oreal USA, Inc.

To your second point, if you are referring to the women's Eternity and Obsession - they are both in FIFI's Hall of Fame as well. I just posted the complete list on the iconic female fragrance thread!

I measure iconic by what average people who aren't into scents say when in conversation a general reference is made to male scents. Over the years I've noticed that Brut and Paco Rabanne always seem to pop up down here. The rest never rate a mention.
    Renato

I'd have to go with either Old Spice or Canoe. Old Spice for sheer market saturation. It's really the scent of our fathers here in America. Though my dad did discover Brut in the 70's. Canoe for it's presence under sooooo many Christmas trees throughout the years.

I would say English leather as well. Thats what my dad wore. I was a brut man or " teen" I guess. No one has mentioned Royal Copenhagen yet either. It was a popular Christmas gift of that time as well.

Rick
    For sale post

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=190169

" I wanna have my kicks before the whole s--t house goes up in flames"

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

I would say....
    1. Polo Classic
    2. Pour Monsuier by Chanel
    3. Aramis
    Gary

Well iconic doesn't mean best, or most popular.

Given that I say that Eau Sauvage fits the icon status the best. But it is a hard question when you are talking about male scents.
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

I have to say Polo Green.

Brut and Old Spice I never thought of as fragrance, more as a skin soother or as a skin product, you know? Never thought I was special if wearing them where if I wore "Green" I thought I was hot.

I still remember walking out of this bar one night with my cousin, we walked past these two girls. And as we passed I heard one say to the other "Did you smell him, he smelled so good".

It was me wearing "Green". Never hear that wearing Old Spice or Brut........

To me Polo Green represents what fragrance is about, feeling good wearing it and smelling good too.

Second would be Jovan Musk.
    "I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

A number of ways I can think of going with this one. I will choose Brut.

Eau Sauvage

Polo Green

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I'd have to go with either Old Spice or Canoe. Old Spice for sheer market saturation. It's really the scent of our fathers here in America. Though my dad did discover Brut in the 70's. Canoe for it's presence under sooooo many Christmas trees throughout the years.
    I love the avatar!
    Lynch is my faaavorite.
    Particularly ye olde eraserhead.