Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Most iconic MALE fragrance?

Well, there's a thread on the ladies board over what the most iconic women's fragrance is. (Like many, I thought Chanel No. 5 was it.) But what about the most iconic men's fragrance?

For me, whether you like it or not, and despite its dirt-cheap price tag and ubiquitous availability on Wal-Mart and CVS/pharmacy shelves, it would have to be Old Spice. After all, it was the scent that led a lot of folks to start wearing cologne due to its super-accessible pricepoint and attractive olfactory composition (which is still quite attractive today).

As proof to Old Spice's longevity in the fragrance world: P&G now offers Old Spice Classic Scent Body Wash and Body Spray! Obviously, this classic is here to stay.

Your thoughts?
    Last edited by MFfan310; 9th November 2007 at 07:52 PM.
    I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Most iconic MALE fragrance?

I'm gonna go with Eau Sauvage.

Post Thanks / Like

To me it is a tossup between your Old Spice (which I still own and wear) and Aqua Velva Ice Blue. It seemed like everybody I knew growing up was an Aqua Velva man - even if they had not started to shave yet!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Well here it would be BRUT..no doubt......

Peace to your day,

Otto

thats a tough one chanel no. 5 is automatic for ladies.

Maybe? Green Irish Tweed. but maybe not
    Favorites

Creed- Windsor
    Serge Lutens- Chergui
    Creed- GIT
    Lolita Lempica Au Masculin
    Ysl M7
    Ysl L'Homme
    Creed-Aventus
    Hermes- Un Jardin de Meditaranee
    Chanel Egoiste
    Egyptian Goddess
    Serge Lutens- Arabie

Post Thanks / Like

Well, Chanel No. 5 and Old Spice are worlds apart in price and sophistication.

Possible male equivalents:
    Acqua di Parma
    Eau Sauvage
    Aramis
    Pour Monsuier
    Polo Classic

Possibly even Obsession.

Old Spice without a doubt.

Post Thanks / Like

Tie: Brut and Old Spice. Honestly, I have no idea who I would decide between the two.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Most iconic MALE fragrance?

Brut!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Varon Dandy
    Paco Rabanne PH
    #TOP 5#: Antico Caruso, Penhaligons Racquets,Creed BayRhum Vetiver,Domenico Caraceni,Castle Forbes 1445

Post Thanks / Like

Brut and Old spice are classics for sure.. but are they "iconic"?

Post Thanks / Like

Dark, smokey, classy - Dali Homme.

Post Thanks / Like

I second Eau Sauvage

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Brut
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

I'll say Eau Sauvage too, if only to have a comparable men's frag to Chanel No. 5.

Old Spice . . .

its not bad really and seems to get better with age. . .

I have a new bottle that I use just to splash on to wear around the house and the aftershave

Comparing a bottle of pre-Proctor and Gamble to a P&G one I would say that there is

very little difference aside from the fact that the new one smells a bit more like baby powder to my nose

I borrowed a bottle of my grandfathers "classic" old spice for the comparison

. . .I think the older one is smoother and less powdery. . .

I bet its just the age that does that though. . .and I have heard comments that the formula
    was changed but I am not so sure about that. . .and if it was it was a minor change

I would be curious to hear others opinions on this matter though.

Post Thanks / Like

Drakkar Noir. Not iconic in a good way, but iconic nonetheless.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bernat View Post
    Drakkar Noir. Not iconic in a good way, but iconic nonetheless.
    Agreed - I do not like it either. It is, however, one of the five men's fragrances in the Fragrance Foundation (FIFI) Hall of Fame:

Canoe
    Old Spice
    Paco Rabanne pour Homme
    Polo (Green)
    Drakkar Noir
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    It is, however, one of the five men's fragrances in the Fragrance Foundation (FIFI) Hall of Fame
    Really? Wow. Must be mob mentality or something. Or maybe they support FIFI somehow?

I'd like to add CK Eternity and Obsession. I have no idea if they're any good, I just remember them being my first experience with "high end" fragrance as a kid.
    Last edited by bernat; 9th November 2007 at 10:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bernat View Post
    Really? Wow. Must be mob mentality or something. Or maybe they support FIFI somehow?

I'd like to add CK Eternity and Obsession. I have no idea if they're any good, I just remember them being my first experience with "high end" fragrance as a kid.
    I think you are correct, it is possible that FIFI is actually a wholly-owned subsidiary of Guy Laroche/L'Oreal USA, Inc.

To your second point, if you are referring to the women's Eternity and Obsession - they are both in FIFI's Hall of Fame as well. I just posted the complete list on the iconic female fragrance thread!

Post Thanks / Like

I measure iconic by what average people who aren't into scents say when in conversation a general reference is made to male scents. Over the years I've noticed that Brut and Paco Rabanne always seem to pop up down here. The rest never rate a mention.
    Renato

I'd have to go with either Old Spice or Canoe. Old Spice for sheer market saturation. It's really the scent of our fathers here in America. Though my dad did discover Brut in the 70's. Canoe for it's presence under sooooo many Christmas trees throughout the years.

Post Thanks / Like

I would say English leather as well. Thats what my dad wore. I was a brut man or " teen" I guess. No one has mentioned Royal Copenhagen yet either. It was a popular Christmas gift of that time as well.

Rick
    For sale post

[url]http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=190169[/url]

" I wanna have my kicks before the whole s--t house goes up in flames"

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

I would say....
    1. Polo Classic
    2. Pour Monsuier by Chanel
    3. Aramis
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Well iconic doesn't mean best, or most popular.

Given that I say that Eau Sauvage fits the icon status the best. But it is a hard question when you are talking about male scents.
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say Polo Green.

Brut and Old Spice I never thought of as fragrance, more as a skin soother or as a skin product, you know? Never thought I was special if wearing them where if I wore "Green" I thought I was hot.

I still remember walking out of this bar one night with my cousin, we walked past these two girls. And as we passed I heard one say to the other "Did you smell him, he smelled so good".

It was me wearing "Green". Never hear that wearing Old Spice or Brut........

To me Polo Green represents what fragrance is about, feeling good wearing it and smelling good too.

Second would be Jovan Musk.
    "I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Current Rotation: Terre D'Hermes, Boucheron PH, Villoresi Uomo, Green Irish Tweed, Chanel PMC, Gucci PH, Floris Santal, Carven Homme, Dunhill '34, PI by Givenchy, Parfums de Nicolai New York

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

A number of ways I can think of going with this one. I will choose Brut.

Post Thanks / Like

Eau Sauvage

Polo Green

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I'd have to go with either Old Spice or Canoe. Old Spice for sheer market saturation. It's really the scent of our fathers here in America. Though my dad did discover Brut in the 70's. Canoe for it's presence under sooooo many Christmas trees throughout the years.
    I love the avatar!
    Lynch is my faaavorite.
    Particularly ye olde eraserhead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eluard View Post
    Well iconic doesn't mean best, or most popular.

Given that I say that Eau Sauvage fits the icon status the best. But it is a hard question when you are talking about male scents.
    Wikipedia only gives a half-arsed definition, but the examples given for American cultural icons - mom's apple pie and baseball, are on the mark. Are there better pies than apple? You bet (I prefer cherry). But mention pie and American cultural icon in the same sentence and I'll bet 99 out of 100 Americans will associate with APPLE. So no, it doesn't mean best or most popular (although it might); I would however argue that it means most recognized.

If you were to ask 100 men on the street, "Name the first cologne that pops into your head?", I'll bet 99 of them would say "Old Spice". Well, perhaps not 99, but you get the picture. I'll also bet that only 1 or 2 out of a hundred would mention Eau Sauvage. Is it a better, more refined fragrance? Many would agree. Is it iconic for cologne in America? I don't think so.

However, you could tweak the question just a little bit and end up with a much higher consensus - "Name the most iconic male luxe fragrance introduced in America within the last 75 years". Or something like that...

I vote Old Spice.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 10th November 2007 at 04:08 AM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Good job shutting down this thread Snafoo. Party pooper!

Post Thanks / Like

Kouros

Drakkar
    CK Eternity
    English Leather
    Old Spice
    Canoe

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Egoiste is iconic, in an underground kind of way.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    Wikipedia only gives a half-arsed definition, but the examples given for American cultural icons - mom's apple pie and baseball, are on the mark. Are there better pies than apple? You bet (I prefer cherry). But mention pie and American cultural icon in the same sentence and I'll bet 99 out of 100 Americans will associate with APPLE. So no, it doesn't mean best or most popular (although it might); I would however argue that it means most recognized.

If you were to ask 100 men on the street, "Name the first cologne that pops into your head?", I'll bet 99 of them would say "Old Spice". Well, perhaps not 99, but you get the picture. I'll also bet that only 1 or 2 out of a hundred would mention Eau Sauvage. Is it a better, more refined fragrance? Many would agree. Is it iconic for cologne in America? I don't think so.

However, you could tweak the question just a little bit and end up with a much higher consensus - "Name the most iconic male luxe fragrance introduced in America within the last 75 years". Or something like that...

I vote Old Spice.
    I think you've attempted to clarify (or tweak) the question quite well, but I don't think it's entirely right either. Compare it to film icons: Brigitte Bardot is a film icon, as is Alain Delon. So is Marlon Brando, and James Dean. And Gretta Garbo — and Bette Davis. The point is that icons don't need to be the first name that pops into Joe Public's head: it can be more a matter of expert knowledge than that. In film more people might think of Tom Cruise, but Tom is not an icon, nor is Brad Pitt. No one would say 'That iconic actress Bette Midler…'. Being an icon means being associated with a time or period in a way that's inseparable from it: an icon represents a time.

Old Spice probably is iconic of a particular period, as is Brut. But if we are trying to think of the analog of a Brigitte Bardot, then I will go for Eau Sauvage. Polo Green seems iconic for the Eighties, but so also might Giorgio of BH Red, or Drakkar Noir for that matter.
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

OLD SCHOOL: Brut
    MODERN ICON: Fahrenheit

Post Thanks / Like

It seems to me that most of the Old Spice votes are coming from here in the US. Does anyone know how well it is known throughout the rest of the world?
    I would also propose 4711 which is far from being the best traditional cologne out there, but is probably the most famous.
    My heart is with Eau Sauvage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    I'll also bet that only 1 or 2 out of a hundred would mention Eau Sauvage. Is it a better, more refined fragrance? Many would agree. Is it iconic for cologne in America? I don't think so.
    I think your figure is too high. I'd be surprised if 1 or 2 in 10,000 mentioned Eau Sauvage.

I agree with you about what you're saying with respect to icons. It has to pervade outside the circle of the knowledgeable e.g. two American icons of the last few decades are Muhummed Ali and Hulk Hogan. Most people wouldn't have a clue who the current world wrestling and boxing champions are, but their names would spring to mind if asked to name a famous boxer and a name a famous wrestler.
    Renato

Post Thanks / Like

My thoughts?

I don't care.
    Last edited by pluran; 13th November 2007 at 05:56 PM.

Eluard and Snafoo had great additions to this thread, thank you for that!

When I thought of the thread on the ladies board and the responses there, my immediate association for this thread was Eau Sauvage. But closer to the truth is probably Old Spice.

No one has mentioned Tabac yet, but I guess the time has passed on that one by now, even though it was very popular and still is produced. I guess one can say the same thing about Eau Sauvage. Old Spice it is then!

Post Thanks / Like

I might be in the Eau Sauvage camp myself. For me, iconic as members think Old Spice and Brut are, I think they're iconic of an old and antiquated force of men's scents. Iconic to be mocked, really, instead of iconic in the way Chanel No.5 is for women. Similar to that is the mockery that Drakkar Noir, Aramis, and Polo Green get, although I think they are pretty close to iconic visions of what a man should smell like.

I go for Eau Sauvage because it isn't derided or chuckled at. Yes, Renato is right that 1 or 2 in thousands will know it, but it still has ads in men's magazines, and it is somehow seen as classic and enduring. Contemporary as well as dating from the 1960s. Also it seems more global, more international, than Drakkar Noir, Aramis, and Polo Green, say, since it was launched in an era before the American market was the decider of a successful fragrance launch. That's probably true of Old Spice as well, but I think there's a weltanschauung difference (Pluran) between Old Spice and Eau Sauvage, and for an enduring iconic men's scent like No.5 is a women's scent, I'd say Eau Sauvage fits the bill better.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by somethinpositiv View Post
    Good job shutting down this thread Snafoo. Party pooper!
    Uh, yeah - Guilty As Charged... Sorry, sometimes I get a little too left-brained for my own good.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Eluard View Post
    I think you've attempted to clarify (or tweak) the question quite well, but I don't think it's entirely right either. Compare it to film icons: Brigitte Bardot is a film icon, as is Alain Delon. So is Marlon Brando, and James Dean. And Gretta Garbo — and Bette Davis...
    True, but nearly everyone knows or has heard of Brando, Dean, etc. I'm just not sure an icon can be an icon if it's not universally recognized. It was easier on the female side because Chanel No.5 fits all the criteria, including universal recognition. Such an amazing feat for a fragrance!

I'll shut up now, before I drag this thread down yet again!
    Last edited by Snafoo; 10th November 2007 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Post Thanks / Like

Brut for sure!

I would say
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Aramis
    Paco Rabanne PH
    Chanel Pour Monsieur
    AdG
    Azzaro PH
    Van Cleef PH
    maybe L'eau D'Issey too

Me too, I think that Guerlain's Vetiver has become iconic in its never failing, year round, all type masculinity.

Post Thanks / Like

My vote goes to either Acqua Di Parma Colonia or Guerlain Vetiver. Masculine Classics

Post Thanks / Like

Default A Vote for Aramis

I'd really have to go with ARAMIS. I actually like Old Spice, but I was trying to go with something a bit classier and less popular (this consideration took BRUT and the now-infamous HAI KARATE out of the running). One of the things that I considered was whether the scent could reasonably be worn by a woman. I would say that a woman could get away with wearing the majority of male fragrances, including Guerlain, HABIT ROUGE (which I like), Guy Laroche, DRAKKAR NOIR (which I also like), and Caron, POUR UN HOMME (which I detest). YSL's OPIUM Pour Homme would work very well on any number of woman (and I know at least a couple of women who can't stand the female version of OPIUM but who like and would wear the male version).

ARAMIS is that rare fragrance which is just so distinctively MASCULINE that I just cannot see a woman, ANY woman, pulling it off. It's iconic to me because it's so masculine. It's iconic to me because it's been around for a long time (came out the year after I was born). It's iconic because I remember the advertising, and the "Aramis man" theme.

I like it, and I wear it. It's not my favorite (that's probably, still, OPIUM Pour Homme in the EDT formulation), but it's something that I enjoy and would consider the male equivalent of what Chanel No. 5 is for women: something that every man should own and try, even if he doesn't wear it often (or ever).

I wonder, if they ever attempted a female equivalent of ARAMIS, what it would be like? Some things are probably better left to the imagination.

smeller

The thread is about "most iconic male fragrance", not "most iconic male fragrance in the USA ".

I believe Old Spice would be an icon in USA, but probably not anywhere else.

Brut could be the equivalent to Tabu. I'm not saying it's bad, Tabu is perhaps as iconic as Chanel 5 in its class.

I also firmly believe that the french are those who define what is iconic, and that is just because they are the best on this field. No offense to anybody, but that's true.

Men's equivalent to the feminine floral Chanel Numéro 5: the masculine citrus EAU SAUVAGE.

Alternative male icons (probably not the equivalent to Chanel 5, but to other female icons like Shalimar, Miss Dior, Anais Anais, etc.) could be Vetiver Guerlain, Azzaro pour Homme, Habit Rouge, and POLO GREEN (yes, I know it's american, and much better than Old Spice). Also Paco Rabanne, Aramis and Drakkar Noir.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smeller View Post
    The thread is about "most iconic male fragrance", not "most iconic male fragrance in the USA".
    Well, my friend, I quite agree with you. But I can respond only in terms of what would be considered "iconic" here in the USA because I do not feel that I can speak for other countries and cultures. You may well be better-travelled and more worldly than I. I can only speak from my own experience and socialization, which is uniquely American.

Your point is well-taken: there is probably no "universal iconic fragrance." What is considered "iconic" will vary by geography and culture.

So, what would be an "iconic Brazilian fragrance for men?"

Quote Originally Posted by smeller View Post
    I believe Old Spice would be an icon in USA, but probably not anywhere else."
    How about Canada?
    Last edited by Pepe Le Pew; 12th November 2007 at 11:33 PM.

smeller

Quote Originally Posted by Pepe Le Pew View Post
    Well, my friend, I quite agree with you. But I can respond only in terms of what would be considered "iconic" here in the USA because I do not feel that I can speak for other countries and cultures. You may well be better-travelled and more worldly than I. I can only speak from my own experience and socialization, which is uniquely American.

Your point is well-taken: there is probably no "universal iconic fragrance." What is considered "iconic" will vary by geography and culture.

So, what would be an "iconic Brazilian fragrance for men?"

How about Canada?
    How about Canada? OK, but take the french Quebec out of it...

Perhaps I'm a bit eurocentric, but I still see perfume as a french speciality, with few exceptions. If they (the french) still believe it's the best ever made (and they do), I just can't argue with them. And - most important - my nose agrees.

An iconic brazilian fragrance? If you mean "made in Brazil", it must be Styletto, by O Boticário. Very similar to Gucci Nobile, but it was launched before (I already weared Styletto at 1986, and Gucci Nobile was launched at 1988). There's also something in common with Drakkar Noir, in a good way.

But if you mean the most iconic male fragrance "in Brazil", it must be AZZARO pour homme. I could also mention Polo Green (which I love), and, of course, Eau Sauvage and Vetiver Guerlain. Habit Rouge is totally unknown, you can't find it here.

Peace

Post Thanks / Like

As far as iconic goes, let's do a brain-exercise. I ask you "What does a man wearing cologne smell like?" For you, a Basenotes member, you're going to think of all different kinds of answers. For the average Joe, it goes something like this:
    Younger generation: Aqua di Gio
    Middle generation: Polo
    Older generation: Brut and Old Spice

I think Polo is by far THE most iconic of the American Male. I don't even know what Old Spice smells like. (And come on, I'm a Basenoter)
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Brut
    Old Spice
    English Leather

I have those Christmas tree memories too, with the Old Spice and English Leather for Daddy
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by _R$_ View Post
    As far as iconic goes, let's do a brain-exercise. I ask you "What does a man wearing cologne smell like?" For you, a Basenotes member, you're going to think of all different kinds of answers. For the average Joe, it goes something like this:
    Younger generation: Aqua di Gio
    Middle generation: Polo
    Older generation: Brut and Old Spice
    Yes! Icons must be bounded by time and place.

It's interesting how difficult it seems to be for everyone to agree on the terms of this question, let alone the answer!

I think that european homo is right on the mark .
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Post Thanks / Like

Dare I say, Le Male? I do, I do!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    I think that european homo is right on the mark .
    There you go again with your Americano-centric thinking!! (kidding, kidding!)

Post Thanks / Like

Polo by Ralph Lauren - most iconic scent.

Brut, Old Spice, Aqua Velva and I remember when I was a toddler Obsession was HEAVILY worn. Grown men smelling like someone whooped they ass with a 24 oz bottle of it...
    I'm so fo sho' it's no facade/ Stay out of trouble momma said as momma sighed/ For her fear her youngest son be a victim of homicide/ But I gotta get you out of here momma.. Or I'm gonna die..Inside...So either eay you lose me momma/ So let loose of me!

Armani, not necesserily any specific one, just the name.