Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 78
  1. #31

    Default Re: Most iconic MALE fragrance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eluard View Post
    Well iconic doesn't mean best, or most popular.

    Given that I say that Eau Sauvage fits the icon status the best. But it is a hard question when you are talking about male scents.
    Wikipedia only gives a half-arsed definition, but the examples given for American cultural icons - mom's apple pie and baseball, are on the mark. Are there better pies than apple? You bet (I prefer cherry). But mention pie and American cultural icon in the same sentence and I'll bet 99 out of 100 Americans will associate with APPLE. So no, it doesn't mean best or most popular (although it might); I would however argue that it means most recognized.

    If you were to ask 100 men on the street, "Name the first cologne that pops into your head?", I'll bet 99 of them would say "Old Spice". Well, perhaps not 99, but you get the picture. I'll also bet that only 1 or 2 out of a hundred would mention Eau Sauvage. Is it a better, more refined fragrance? Many would agree. Is it iconic for cologne in America? I don't think so.

    However, you could tweak the question just a little bit and end up with a much higher consensus - "Name the most iconic male luxe fragrance introduced in America within the last 75 years". Or something like that...

    I vote Old Spice.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 10th November 2007 at 04:08 AM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

  2. #32

    Default Re: Most iconic MALE fragrance?

    Good job shutting down this thread Snafoo. Party pooper!

  3. #33
    graffham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    2,472

    Default Re: Most iconic MALE fragrance?

    Kouros

  4. #34

    Default Re: Most iconic MALE fragrance?

    Drakkar
    CK Eternity
    English Leather
    Old Spice
    Canoe

    TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

  5. #35

    Default Re: Most iconic MALE fragrance?

    Egoiste is iconic, in an underground kind of way.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

  6. #36

    Default Re: Most iconic MALE fragrance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    Wikipedia only gives a half-arsed definition, but the examples given for American cultural icons - mom's apple pie and baseball, are on the mark. Are there better pies than apple? You bet (I prefer cherry). But mention pie and American cultural icon in the same sentence and I'll bet 99 out of 100 Americans will associate with APPLE. So no, it doesn't mean best or most popular (although it might); I would however argue that it means most recognized.

    If you were to ask 100 men on the street, "Name the first cologne that pops into your head?", I'll bet 99 of them would say "Old Spice". Well, perhaps not 99, but you get the picture. I'll also bet that only 1 or 2 out of a hundred would mention Eau Sauvage. Is it a better, more refined fragrance? Many would agree. Is it iconic for cologne in America? I don't think so.

    However, you could tweak the question just a little bit and end up with a much higher consensus - "Name the most iconic male luxe fragrance introduced in America within the last 75 years". Or something like that...

    I vote Old Spice.
    I think you've attempted to clarify (or tweak) the question quite well, but I don't think it's entirely right either. Compare it to film icons: Brigitte Bardot is a film icon, as is Alain Delon. So is Marlon Brando, and James Dean. And Gretta Garbo — and Bette Davis. The point is that icons don't need to be the first name that pops into Joe Public's head: it can be more a matter of expert knowledge than that. In film more people might think of Tom Cruise, but Tom is not an icon, nor is Brad Pitt. No one would say 'That iconic actress Bette Midler…'. Being an icon means being associated with a time or period in a way that's inseparable from it: an icon represents a time.

    Old Spice probably is iconic of a particular period, as is Brut. But if we are trying to think of the analog of a Brigitte Bardot, then I will go for Eau Sauvage. Polo Green seems iconic for the Eighties, but so also might Giorgio of BH Red, or Drakkar Noir for that matter.
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

  7. #37

    Default Re: Most iconic MALE fragrance?

    OLD SCHOOL: Brut
    MODERN ICON: Fahrenheit

  8. #38

    Default Re: Most iconic MALE fragrance?

    It seems to me that most of the Old Spice votes are coming from here in the US. Does anyone know how well it is known throughout the rest of the world?
    I would also propose 4711 which is far from being the best traditional cologne out there, but is probably the most famous.
    My heart is with Eau Sauvage.

  9. #39
    Renato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    11,764

    Default Re: Most iconic MALE fragrance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    I'll also bet that only 1 or 2 out of a hundred would mention Eau Sauvage. Is it a better, more refined fragrance? Many would agree. Is it iconic for cologne in America? I don't think so.
    I think your figure is too high. I'd be surprised if 1 or 2 in 10,000 mentioned Eau Sauvage.

    I agree with you about what you're saying with respect to icons. It has to pervade outside the circle of the knowledgeable e.g. two American icons of the last few decades are Muhummed Ali and Hulk Hogan. Most people wouldn't have a clue who the current world wrestling and boxing champions are, but their names would spring to mind if asked to name a famous boxer and a name a famous wrestler.
    Renato

  10. #40
    Dependent pluran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    7,273

    Default Re: Most iconic MALE fragrance?

    Habit Rouge
    Eau Sauvage
    Paco Rabanne pour Homme
    Last edited by pluran; 18th October 2014 at 03:41 AM.

  11. #41

    Default Re: Most iconic MALE fragrance?

    Eluard and Snafoo had great additions to this thread, thank you for that!

    When I thought of the thread on the ladies board and the responses there, my immediate association for this thread was Eau Sauvage. But closer to the truth is probably Old Spice.

    No one has mentioned Tabac yet, but I guess the time has passed on that one by now, even though it was very popular and still is produced. I guess one can say the same thing about Eau Sauvage. Old Spice it is then!

  12. #42
    DustB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    9,210

    Default Re: Most iconic MALE fragrance?

    I might be in the Eau Sauvage camp myself. For me, iconic as members think Old Spice and Brut are, I think they're iconic of an old and antiquated force of men's scents. Iconic to be mocked, really, instead of iconic in the way Chanel No.5 is for women. Similar to that is the mockery that Drakkar Noir, Aramis, and Polo Green get, although I think they are pretty close to iconic visions of what a man should smell like.

    I go for Eau Sauvage because it isn't derided or chuckled at. Yes, Renato is right that 1 or 2 in thousands will know it, but it still has ads in men's magazines, and it is somehow seen as classic and enduring. Contemporary as well as dating from the 1960s. Also it seems more global, more international, than Drakkar Noir, Aramis, and Polo Green, say, since it was launched in an era before the American market was the decider of a successful fragrance launch. That's probably true of Old Spice as well, but I think there's a weltanschauung difference (Pluran) between Old Spice and Eau Sauvage, and for an enduring iconic men's scent like No.5 is a women's scent, I'd say Eau Sauvage fits the bill better.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

  13. #43

    Default Re: Most iconic MALE fragrance?

    Quote Originally Posted by somethinpositiv View Post
    Good job shutting down this thread Snafoo. Party pooper!
    Uh, yeah - Guilty As Charged... Sorry, sometimes I get a little too left-brained for my own good.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Eluard View Post
    I think you've attempted to clarify (or tweak) the question quite well, but I don't think it's entirely right either. Compare it to film icons: Brigitte Bardot is a film icon, as is Alain Delon. So is Marlon Brando, and James Dean. And Gretta Garbo — and Bette Davis...
    True, but nearly everyone knows or has heard of Brando, Dean, etc. I'm just not sure an icon can be an icon if it's not universally recognized. It was easier on the female side because Chanel No.5 fits all the criteria, including universal recognition. Such an amazing feat for a fragrance!

    I'll shut up now, before I drag this thread down yet again!
    Last edited by Snafoo; 10th November 2007 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

  14. #44

    Default Re: Most iconic MALE fragrance?

    Brut for sure!

  15. #45

    Default Re: Most iconic MALE fragrance?

    I would say
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Aramis
    Paco Rabanne PH
    Chanel Pour Monsieur
    AdG
    Azzaro PH
    Van Cleef PH
    maybe L'eau D'Issey too

  16. #46

    Default Re: Most iconic MALE fragrance?

    Me too, I think that Guerlain's Vetiver has become iconic in its never failing, year round, all type masculinity.

  17. #47

    Default Re: Most iconic MALE fragrance?

    My vote goes to either Acqua Di Parma Colonia or Guerlain Vetiver. Masculine Classics

  18. #48

    Default A Vote for Aramis

    I'd really have to go with ARAMIS. I actually like Old Spice, but I was trying to go with something a bit classier and less popular (this consideration took BRUT and the now-infamous HAI KARATE out of the running). One of the things that I considered was whether the scent could reasonably be worn by a woman. I would say that a woman could get away with wearing the majority of male fragrances, including Guerlain, HABIT ROUGE (which I like), Guy Laroche, DRAKKAR NOIR (which I also like), and Caron, POUR UN HOMME (which I detest). YSL's OPIUM Pour Homme would work very well on any number of woman (and I know at least a couple of women who can't stand the female version of OPIUM but who like and would wear the male version).

    ARAMIS is that rare fragrance which is just so distinctively MASCULINE that I just cannot see a woman, ANY woman, pulling it off. It's iconic to me because it's so masculine. It's iconic to me because it's been around for a long time (came out the year after I was born). It's iconic because I remember the advertising, and the "Aramis man" theme.

    I like it, and I wear it. It's not my favorite (that's probably, still, OPIUM Pour Homme in the EDT formulation), but it's something that I enjoy and would consider the male equivalent of what Chanel No. 5 is for women: something that every man should own and try, even if he doesn't wear it often (or ever).

    I wonder, if they ever attempted a female equivalent of ARAMIS, what it would be like? Some things are probably better left to the imagination.

  19. #49
    smeller
    Guest

    Default Re: Most iconic MALE fragrance?

    The thread is about "most iconic male fragrance", not "most iconic male fragrance in the USA ".

    I believe Old Spice would be an icon in USA, but probably not anywhere else.

    Brut could be the equivalent to Tabu. I'm not saying it's bad, Tabu is perhaps as iconic as Chanel 5 in its class.

    I also firmly believe that the french are those who define what is iconic, and that is just because they are the best on this field. No offense to anybody, but that's true.

    Men's equivalent to the feminine floral Chanel Numéro 5: the masculine citrus EAU SAUVAGE.

    Alternative male icons (probably not the equivalent to Chanel 5, but to other female icons like Shalimar, Miss Dior, Anais Anais, etc.) could be Vetiver Guerlain, Azzaro pour Homme, Habit Rouge, and POLO GREEN (yes, I know it's american, and much better than Old Spice). Also Paco Rabanne, Aramis and Drakkar Noir.

  20. #50

    Default Re: Most iconic MALE fragrance?

    Quote Originally Posted by smeller View Post
    The thread is about "most iconic male fragrance", not "most iconic male fragrance in the USA".
    Well, my friend, I quite agree with you. But I can respond only in terms of what would be considered "iconic" here in the USA because I do not feel that I can speak for other countries and cultures. You may well be better-travelled and more worldly than I. I can only speak from my own experience and socialization, which is uniquely American.

    Your point is well-taken: there is probably no "universal iconic fragrance." What is considered "iconic" will vary by geography and culture.

    So, what would be an "iconic Brazilian fragrance for men?"

    Quote Originally Posted by smeller View Post
    I believe Old Spice would be an icon in USA, but probably not anywhere else."
    How about Canada?
    Last edited by Pepe Le Pew; 12th November 2007 at 11:33 PM.

  21. #51
    smeller
    Guest

    Default Re: Most iconic MALE fragrance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe Le Pew View Post
    Well, my friend, I quite agree with you. But I can respond only in terms of what would be considered "iconic" here in the USA because I do not feel that I can speak for other countries and cultures. You may well be better-travelled and more worldly than I. I can only speak from my own experience and socialization, which is uniquely American.

    Your point is well-taken: there is probably no "universal iconic fragrance." What is considered "iconic" will vary by geography and culture.

    So, what would be an "iconic Brazilian fragrance for men?"



    How about Canada?
    How about Canada? OK, but take the french Quebec out of it...

    Perhaps I'm a bit eurocentric, but I still see perfume as a french speciality, with few exceptions. If they (the french) still believe it's the best ever made (and they do), I just can't argue with them. And - most important - my nose agrees.

    An iconic brazilian fragrance? If you mean "made in Brazil", it must be Styletto, by O Boticário. Very similar to Gucci Nobile, but it was launched before (I already weared Styletto at 1986, and Gucci Nobile was launched at 1988). There's also something in common with Drakkar Noir, in a good way.

    But if you mean the most iconic male fragrance "in Brazil", it must be AZZARO pour homme. I could also mention Polo Green (which I love), and, of course, Eau Sauvage and Vetiver Guerlain. Habit Rouge is totally unknown, you can't find it here.

    Peace

  22. #52
    _R$_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Overland Park, KS
    Posts
    1,490

    Default Re: Most iconic MALE fragrance?

    As far as iconic goes, let's do a brain-exercise. I ask you "What does a man wearing cologne smell like?" For you, a Basenotes member, you're going to think of all different kinds of answers. For the average Joe, it goes something like this:
    Younger generation: Aqua di Gio
    Middle generation: Polo
    Older generation: Brut and Old Spice

    I think Polo is by far THE most iconic of the American Male. I don't even know what Old Spice smells like. (And come on, I'm a Basenoter)
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

  23. #53

    Default Re: Most iconic MALE fragrance?

    Brut
    Old Spice
    English Leather

    I have those Christmas tree memories too, with the Old Spice and English Leather for Daddy
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

    What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

  24. #54

    Default Re: Most iconic MALE fragrance?

    Quote Originally Posted by _R$_ View Post
    As far as iconic goes, let's do a brain-exercise. I ask you "What does a man wearing cologne smell like?" For you, a Basenotes member, you're going to think of all different kinds of answers. For the average Joe, it goes something like this:
    Younger generation: Aqua di Gio
    Middle generation: Polo
    Older generation: Brut and Old Spice
    Yes! Icons must be bounded by time and place.

    It's interesting how difficult it seems to be for everyone to agree on the terms of this question, let alone the answer!
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

  25. #55

    Default Re: Most iconic MALE fragrance?

    I think that european homo is right on the mark .
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

  26. #56

    Default Re: Most iconic MALE fragrance?

    Dare I say, Le Male? I do, I do!

  27. #57

    Default Re: Most iconic MALE fragrance?

    Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    I think that european homo is right on the mark .
    There you go again with your Americano-centric thinking!! (kidding, kidding!)
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

  28. #58

    Default Re: Most iconic MALE fragrance?

    Polo by Ralph Lauren - most iconic scent.

  29. #59

    Default Re: Most iconic MALE fragrance?

    Brut, Old Spice, Aqua Velva and I remember when I was a toddler Obsession was HEAVILY worn. Grown men smelling like someone whooped they ass with a 24 oz bottle of it...
    I'm so fo sho' it's no facade/ Stay out of trouble momma said as momma sighed/ For her fear her youngest son be a victim of homicide/ But I gotta get you out of here momma.. Or I'm gonna die..Inside...So either eay you lose me momma/ So let loose of me!

  30. #60

    Default Re: Most iconic MALE fragrance?

    Armani, not necesserily any specific one, just the name.

Similar Threads

  1. Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier - Reviews
    By IPaidForThisName in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 13th October 2012, 10:56 AM
  2. XXX is the best fragrance for YYY
    By Scentronic in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 29th November 2009, 05:44 AM
  3. List of 2008 fragrance releases - which ones are you excited about?
    By mikeperez23 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 1st August 2008, 05:19 PM
  4. MPG Secret Melange
    By scenteur7 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 28th June 2005, 06:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000