Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Need help with a scent for husband

Hi,

Would like to get my husband as a Christmas gift some scents he can wear - he breaks out in a rash from colognes, after shaves etc - and doctor says it’s the alcohol that is the problem – not allergic to anything else.

Can anyone recommend a good vendor of oils? He loves scent - uses my bath products lavishly; likes my almond scented lotions - and all my perlier creams.

He is 55, 6 ft 3, loves colors – his favorite sweaters/shirts are tangerine, rust, peach, cinnamon and lavender. Is an afro-latin jazz musician, definitely not conservative, and is adventurous in dress style. He has bronze skin-tone, dark eyes and hair.

He would probably not like a “typical male” scent; probably something either more unisex or exotic.
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need help with a scent for husband

I hesitate to suggest a particular scent, but I would recommend you explore samples from the following lines. Depending on how much success you've had picking out scents and other "personal" items for your husband in the past, you could even give a large set of samples as an initial gift, and then follow up with a full bottle once you're sure you've identified a true favorite...

CB I Hate Perfume - These are formulated in a water base rather than an alcohol base. Burning Leaves and Gathering Apples are among the more popular scents from this line around here, I'd say. (I haven't tested any of these myself, but I see you're within plausible driving distance of their HQ in Brooklyn.)

Dawn Spencer Hurwitz - She makes some very nice scents (although the range is HUGE and uneven). Everything (or nearly so) is available as a perfume oil along with other formulations. Cimabue, Sandalo Inspiritu, and Hinoki are among my favorites that are suitable for cold-weather wear. (Your best shopping bet for these is her online store.)

Madini - these are oils that are more in the Arab tradition (although others who know that tradition well could probably point you towards more authentic alternatives) and the few that I've sampled have been very nice: Santal Blanc, Musk Pierre.

Good luck!
    Last edited by PaulSC; 9th November 2007 at 09:56 PM.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

What about GENDARME?
    Didn't Topper create this scent due to his own problems/reactions to scents?
    Others please pipe in if I am wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd definitely second CB I Hate Perfume.. you should snag a few samples. You can get them in either the water perfume (It's really pretty fascinating how they make it) or as the concentrated oil. Most are pretty reasonably priced with a few jumping to a littler pricier.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Many thanks!
    Brooklyn is a two and a half hour drive from me - but my godson lives three blocks away from CB - just called him - he's going to drop by and get me some samples (and probably buy up half the store for himself) so I'll stuff hubby's stocking with samples and let him choose what he likes. What a wonderful website, can't wait to sniff some of the scents myself.
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DeeOlive View Post
    ... his favorite sweaters/shirts are tangerine, rust, peach, cinnamon and lavender. Is an afro-latin jazz musician, definitely not conservative, and is adventurous in dress style....

He would probably not like a “typical male” scent; probably something either more unisex or exotic.
    I don't know him... but Its almost like I can feel his vibe. Coming from another musician, I definitely like him already! Sounds like he needs something exotic like L'Artisan's Timbuktu or Dzongkha, or anything from CDG's Incense and Synthetic series.
    Damn... sux he's allergic to alcohol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Cool Quixotiq - you are a musician too - what do you play? He plays percussion - shekere, congas, bata and cajon. Timbuctu and Dzongkha sound interesting - if they they smell like they sound may be something that would pique his interest.
    Chanakya

Post Thanks / Like

From your description of him and his likes, Idole de Lubin sounds just like him but....it's full of alcohol... Just happens to be my SOTD today too.

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Dan - what a wonderul bottle - he'd love it - he collects African art. Too bad the juice is alcoholic - maybe I can wear it - or give it away and keep the flask.
    Chanakya

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

Hi DeeOlive,

Might I suggest Narciso Rodriguez for Him - the Musc Oil. Its pricier than the edt, but it is a scent that commands respect (and dead sexy too).

Ayala Moriel Parfums also create solid perfumes which sound exotic and interesting. Perhaps you might find something there, or speak with Ayala herself about a bespoke creation that is alcohol free.
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 10th November 2007 at 06:12 AM.

Gendarme is recommended for skin sensitivity, but doesn't fit the other preferences you describe.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Post Thanks / Like

Varon dandy Platinum
    #TOP 5#: Antico Caruso, Penhaligons Racquets,Creed BayRhum Vetiver,Domenico Caraceni,Castle Forbes 1445

Post Thanks / Like

I am thinking he would smell great in Ambe Sultan by Serge Lutens. Exotic and Sensual.

My edit:

I am sorry, I did not see the part about the skin sensitivity.

Creed makes some great oil versions of their fragrances. That might be a great place to look.
    Last edited by The Duke; 10th November 2007 at 01:09 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't seen Le Labo mentioned, as they offer all of their scents in both oil and balm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

NeoTy26,
    Thank you - visited their site - but was unclear about no alcohol - so sent them an email.
    Chanakya

Dior Homme

I've never been interested too much in oil formulations since my skin tend already to be greasy enough...
    Anyway two I tried and I went nuts for are
    Malle Musc Ravageur oil
    Narciso Rodriguez for him musc oil
    Both have good projection despite the oil texture, last ages, are easily absorbed by the skin witout being greasy and are so luscious.
    the only side effect is your empty wallet...lol

I'll second PaulSC in his recommendation of Madini. These concentrated oils are unusual and exotic and contain no alcohol. My favourites are Ambergris, Musk Gazelle, Chipre, Madieras de Oriente, Agarwood. You can get samples of these scents at quite reasonable prices at the Talisman website.

Post Thanks / Like

If it's the alcohol that causes him rashes, then no cologne is going to help. I might suggest you delve into oud/attar oils, Agarscents Bazaar on ebay has a nice collection.

These are supposedly made from pure extracts so no alcohol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks to all of you for your advice. I ordered some perfume oils from Madini. My husband likes musks - and they seemed to have some interesting choices so I got him a few. Hope he likes them.
    --------------------------------------
    Update: Box arrived from Tigerflag with the Madini's I ordered for DH - I had attached a note with the order- explaining that my husband is allergic to alcohol and I'd like for him to try some of their scents. Since I know he likes musks - ordered him:

White Musk, Musk Pierre and Musk Gazelle.

Was pleasantly surprised - they sent a gift sample with the order of Night Jasmine perfume oil, and 8 scent strips of musky and also watery scents, along with a nice hand-written thank you note and suggestion that he might like some of the one's they sent for him to sniff..

Looking forward to his try outs - thanks again for the suggestions here.
    Last edited by DeeOlive; 23rd November 2007 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Chanakya