Code of Conduct

Default Opium, you know the one that is supposedly for Women:

On a test strip it is very fem, those "sparkling aldehyde and spice opening notes" really put me off. But I was told by a friend to give it a body test and I'm glad I did. It is turning into a sex bomb! It really is soaking up my natural musk and transforming into a custom scent - something to challenge MKK!

Default Re: Opium, you know the one that is supposedly for Women:

I don't think the juice is bad at all, in itself. Pretty nice in fact, and I ought to try wearing it. A girlfriend a couple years ago wore it as a signature scent until we became an item and my scent-snobbery came into play--I wanted her in CdG, Caron, and Guerlain that no one she'd ever been around had smelled. When she wore Opium edp, I actually liked it, but since it's so "regular," since I don't want to use a word that will mark me as even more of a snob, I didn't want it around anymore.
    Last edited by DustB; 10th November 2007 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Wrote "Obsession" when I meant Opium
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

It's not bad. Just one of the best ever made.

Hell of a lot better than the men's version which is not bad but really just another refusal made smell.
    Last edited by pluran; 14th May 2008 at 08:53 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    On a test strip it is very fem, those "sparkling aldehyde and spice opening notes" really put me off. But I was told by a friend to give it a body test and I'm glad I did. It is turning into a sex bomb! It really is soaking up my natural musk and transforming into a custom scent - something to challenge MKK!
    Ruggles which one? The EDT, EDP or Parfum?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 20th March 2008 at 01:26 AM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Kevin which one? The EDT, EDP or Parfum?
    The EdT, but I'm sure it only gets better with the EdP and the Parfum.

The EdT, but I'm sure it only gets better with the EdP and the Parfum.
    I took the top-down approach...

Bought the parfum first, the edp now is on its way and i think the edt will follow soon

gupts

How does the women's EdP stand up to the men's? Being such a Opium PH devotee, I've never tried any of the women's.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    How does the women's EdP stand up to the men's? Being such a Opium PH devotee, I've never tried any of the women's.
    The men's has little to do with the women's. The original Opium was designed for women, and it is feminine, but it is also unisex. The men's Opium, IMHO, would smell wrong on a woman, while the original women's Opium is universal. That said, if you are open to something that does not deal in the specific vocabulary of men's notes, something say more in a Serge Lutens, oriental vein, you may like it. You need to go light on the trigger and understand that it's to be worn as a skin scent, otherwise, if you wear it for sillage, you may come off as a "girlie man".
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 10th November 2007 at 09:53 PM.

Glad to see another fan. Opium [for women] is one of my all-time favorite scents. The last time I wore it was a few years ago to show a friend how it smelled different on me as compared to her. She said something about how my chemistry amplified the spices and "sexed it up". Now that it's getting cooler, I may invest in a bottle for winter wear.
    Last edited by Sloan; 10th November 2007 at 10:24 PM.

I have been wearing all versions of the Opium on and off since it first came out in the 1977. On this board, I first wore the EDP version as my SOTD back in December 2004. Nice to see more people are "discovering" what I have always called "the best women's oriental for men".

Currently I own the following versions:

Opium Eau d’Été
    Opium EDP
    Opium EDT
    Opium Fleur Imperiale
    Opium Orchidee de Chine Eau d'Orient
    Opium Parfum
    Opium Secret de Parfum EDP

Opium doesn't compare to the men's Opium Pour Homme. I agree with pluran's comments to the letter on the comparison between the two:

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...ighlight=opium
    http://community.basenotes.net/showt...ighlight=opium

Any of pluran's comments on either the men's version or the women's version are required reading as far as I am concerned and are worth seeking out through the search function. The only version of the men's I can wear is YSL Opium Pour Homme Eau d’Orient Édition Limitée 2005. A fantastic, superior, infinitely more wearable, lighter reworking of the original.

Every version of Opium I've tried is magical in it's own way. The Parfum and the EDT are where the genius of the fragrance resides followed by the Opium Secret de Parfum version and then the EDP version. The recent lighter versions--
    Eau d’Été, Fleur Imperial, and Orchidee de Chine Eau d'Orient--are also excellent. As far as I am concerned, one's perfume education is incomplete without having tried at least the original Opium EDT.

scentemental

P.S. One thing to keep in mind is that Opium is a very complex oriental, and, as with all complex orientals, it will react very differently on different skin types and much will also depend upon the ambient conditions.

Last edited by scentemental; 11th November 2007 at 01:51 AM.

As always, I hang on to every word from scentemental and Pluran.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 11th November 2007 at 11:28 PM.

The men's Opium, IMHO, would smell wrong on a woman, ...
    well there is an exception, Carine Roitfeld ' French Vogue Editor' loves to wear Opium PH.

I love the summer variations, they make Opium more accesable in summer in daytime.

I don't like the current EDP which was released under Tom Ford direction, I prefer the one that was created under Mr. Saint Laurent & was called 'Secret de Parfum' it was truly mystrious with frutier/ woodier edge ...& the bottle is extremly chic
    I miss it alot , I hope it return back

I tested Opium at Sephora's about a year ago, did not expect to like it and found that I could not stop sniffing myself. I found a discounted bottle at a local store that was the "natural spray version, sans alcohol, I think it was an old bottle, because I found it disappointing.

Have not revisited it, but the memory of my first wearing is emblazoned in my brain cells. If I recall, it made me want to be naked except for high heels and to be wrapped (and then unwrapped. repeat) in velvet.

I just discovered George Sand from MPG which shares some of the taste of Opium in its drydown, imo, but is not as provocative, and thus more wearable out in society. I think Opium is an over the top scent that requires action or some exuberant sensual event to fully complete its wearing experience. I am speaking from a year old memory. Will put it on my list of things to test again.

I heartily support any man who wants to wears this.
    Last edited by rtamara41; 11th November 2007 at 12:53 PM.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Hell of a lot better than the men's version
    Yep yep yep.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Well, today I ordered a bottle of Opium EdT.

Well, today I ordered a bottle of Opium EdT.
    Welcome to the club.

Basenotes Institution

Wearing this for the very first time tonight (thanks Ruggles and shadesofbleu) - from the first blast of it onto my skin I got a strong mental association with my mother (I don't remember her wearing Opium!?) but now that it's settled down I can clearly see what everyone's talking about.

I must say - I really do LOVE the Opium Pour Homme EdP that I own. Comparing my initial reaction to the men's OPH to this Opium EdT that I am wearing now - well...the Opium Pour Homme really did impress me more initially. But this drydown that I'm smelling now...well, it's extremely complex. Very resinous (like a Serge Luten might smell) but much more sparkly. The sillage is incredible.

I need more time to understand this one. This is the kind of scent that I will need several wearings before I can really post a full review. I mean that as a compliment.

Let me say that I would LOVE to get my hands on some of the parfum.

-- Jack Kerouac

For guys? One to be worn around the house in private, methinks. (Unless wrapped in a velvet cape and doing a Lotte Lenya impersonation in public.)

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    For guys? One to be worn around the house in private, methinks. (Unless wrapped in a velvet cape and doing a Lotte Lenya impersonation in public.)

I tried to wear it, but it was a no go.

So Secret de Parfum is different than the EDP? I wondered why the EDP was being panned, when I thought what I had smelled much better than the EDT (which I can't wear). I have the SdP, and think it's pretty good. Yet, I love the parfum best.

Sur la Plage

I think it is a fantastic fragrance - a major sillage and longevity monster. I wear it proudly in and out of the house, sans cape
    Last edited by petruccijc; 14th May 2008 at 10:52 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

A much appreciated post! It has been on the back of my mind to know what "the guys" here on BN might think about wearing Opium (not PH). Perhaps even more of us will be joining the "club"!

Opium is a nostalgic scent for me and brings to mind the early summer when all was so green and the days so long. It was around that time (summer of '81) that a bottle (probably the edt) came into our household. It is one of those scents which simply towers over so many others. I'd love to think that a scent like Opium had no gender.

Basenotes Institution

I think the part I love the most is when all of that top heavy oriental spicy notes calm down a bit and you have these strident open channels of jasmine and florals that smells highly indolic (like night blooming flowers). As if a necklace of flowers has suddenly appeared around your neck, all of a sudden.

Fascinating.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 15th May 2008 at 03:34 AM.

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by scentsual View Post
    A much appreciated post! It has been on the back of my mind to know what "the guys" here on BN might think about wearing Opium (not PH). Perhaps even more of us will be joining the "club"!
    I read a biography of YSL several years ago and a good part of one chapter dealt with the development of Opium. According to the book, when Opium debuted men loved it and were buying it just as much as women. Thus, the "club" dates back to the very beginning with this fragrance.

I will confine my comments to the original Opium (ostensibly for women) that came out in the late seventies. New York was wonderfully wild back then--sex, drugs, disco, punk, and more sex and drugs.
    Opium hit like a bomb and seemed to be on every edgy, seductive woman in the city. It was genuinely exotic and sensual and had kind of a bad girl vibe. Then, of course, everyone started wearing it and it lost some of its uniqueness. And like Angel, for example it is really strong and distinctive so it can take over a room--and people eventually got sick of it. I associate Opium with so many specific women that I have never considered giving it a try myself, but thanks to this thread, I don't know...
    I guess I just wanted to convey how much this classic fragrance captured some very crazy times.

Basenotes Institution

I'm finally wearing the parfum today for the 1st time. Wow it's strong. I could easily see this lasting more than 24 hours. I applied a little too much (accidentally) and had to wash a little of it off, as it got a little crazy strong. But, the smell I am enjoying now (3 hours after I applied it) is just dark and wonderful. The dry down is so unisex and there's really no other fragrance quite like it.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I'm finally wearing the parfum today for the 1st time. Wow it's strong. I could easily see this lasting more than 24 hours. I applied a little too much (accidentally) and had to wash a little of it off, as it got a little crazy strong. But, the smell I am enjoying now (3 hours after I applied it) is just dark and wonderful. The dry down is so unisex and there's really no other fragrance quite like it.
    If i recall correctly, the parfum is more patchouli dominant than the EDP, which is a tad heavy on amber. IMO, the patchouli dominant parfum makes it far more unisex than the EDP. The special thing about Opium is in its drydown - the way it radiates from you and merges with your natural scent to create a perfume that is uniquely yours.
    Last edited by ccck; 27th March 2009 at 03:48 PM.

Never worn it myself, but I do have a sample vial, which I thought smelled fantastic, if a bit more powerful than it needed to be. I think I'd better try it on.

I'm incredibly jealous of you with the parfum. My mum has a bottle of the edt which is incredible, the edp I think is beautiful too and I'm desperate to try the parfum - but there aren't testers anywhere!

AromiErotici

I love the mens EDP version. This sounds interesting. I never considered trying the feminine version since the male version is so strong.

I had never heard of nor (as far as I can remember) smelled any version of Opium when I happened upon a bottle of Opium PH (edt) in a TJ Maxx one day. The name, box, and overall vibe led me to expect something very dark, sensual, dry, spicy and a little sinister in an oldschool kinda way, I had a feeling that I wouldn't like the frag but I just had to have the bottle.

When I finally got home and sprayed the fragrance on my arm, I felt disappointed and a little cheated. The initial blast of dry spicy / sweetness was intriguing, but the tame vanillic drydown was a far cry from the dark, mysterious sensual fragrance that my mind had imagined when I first saw the box. I've actually come to like Opium PH, but I think in a way that it is kind of a deceitful product, the actual fragrance and the image projected by its name and packaging seem to be disconnected.

Incidentally, I tried the women's Opium (don't know what concentration, probably edp) in an Ulta a few weeks ago and it seemed almost EXACTLY how my imagination told me that Opium PH would smell... I will try out this "women's" opium on myself again for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    I love the mens EDP version. This sounds interesting. I never considered trying the feminine version since the male version is so strong.
    Aromi (and the rest of Opium's Fan Club),

Opium por Femme and pour Homme have absolutely nothing to do... I became acquainted with Opium pour Femme in the 1980's and with JHL in 1982, so I expected Opium pour Homme to be the male version of the original fragrance, unluckily that was not the case.

If you have JHL in your wardrobe (try to see if you did but something happens with the server, I can't see anything), you would be surprised at the fact that Opium pour Femme and JHL have very similar dry-downs, Opium's being sharper. As a matter of fact, some years ago I received compliments (quite insistent really) from a pair of female friends that asked me if I were wearing Opium por Femme.

I tried Opium por Femme a month ago (my old JHL bottle has gone stale) and, well, it takes some guts to wear it from the start, top notes are far ("far far" far) too strong. So I wondered if layering it with incense or myrrh would solve this inconvenient, or else, applying it with excessive care.

I once posted a thread on this and someone suggested me to apply Opium pour Femme an hour before leaving home.

Just, to make it short, it is in my wishlist and guess I will be buying a small bottle of it in the near or mid future. So, I guessed Cabochard was the only fragrance targeted to women that I was going to use, but it seems that Diorela as well as Opium are forcing me to get in touch with my femenine side (Just a question, should I be scared??? LOL).