Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Who deserves to be thrown in the hall of shame?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Armani/L'Oreal

1 1.96%
  • Celebrity fragrance makers

25 49.02%
  • Erwin Creed

11 21.57%
  • Calvin Klein

6 11.76%
  • Thierry Mugler

3 5.88%
  • Skybus Airlines

5 9.80%

Default The 2007 Men's Fragrance Industry Hall of Shame Awards

Well, it's that time of year again... time to vote on those mishaps. Last year, the winner by far was The Estee Lauder Companies and Diddy copying MI in an "unforgivable" act.

This year is a wee bit different. Here's my nominees for the Unofficial 2007 Basenotes Men's Fragrance Corporate Hall of Shame Awards (in no particular order):

Nominee #1: Giorgio Armani & L'Oreal Turn On The Xerox Machine. To be honest, Giorgio Armani's Attitude is a well-crafted scent. But does it really have to be a carbon copy of Thierry Mugler's B*Men?

Nominee #2: Still Going... Just like the Energizer Bunny, the celebuscent trend keeps rolling on. Despite a few good ones (IMO, Usher's launch scent was decent), others were pure junk.

Nominee #3: Erwin Creed's Exquisite Rendition Of Banana Boat. Virgin Island Water... a $225/bottle cologne that smells like $8/bottle sunscreen? Pass.

Nominee #4: Calvin Klein Fakes It. Never mind that CK IN2U is a big success for Coty. But the concept is so... fake. People want authenticity, not semi-authenticity.

Nominee #5: Thierry Mugler's Name Flip-Flopping. Never in a million years would I have thought that I would nominate Thierry Mugler to this. But it's Angel Men Summer Flash in 2006... no, ICE*Men is coming soon... oops, Angel Men Summer Flash is coming back for an encore in the USA only... sorry, ICE*Men is delayed in the USA due to the Summer Flash overstock. Then again, they're the same freakin' juice.

Nominee #6: Fly The Stinky Skies. Not related to a particular fragrance per se, but Skybus (a new airline with hubs in Columbus, Ohio and Greensboro, North Carolina) sells frags on board (mainly Coty, L'Oreal, and B.P.I. juices, IIRC), and allows you to test the juice on-board, too. But do you really want an Airbus A319 with 156 people in it to smell like a perfume counter at Macy's or Dillard's... especially on a 5-hour flight from Greensboro to Burbank, and even if you only paid $10 for your seat?

Place your votes and comments here... polling ends November 17th.
    Last edited by MFfan310; 10th November 2007 at 03:11 PM.
    Celebrating 10 years on Basenotes - and smelling better than ever

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Default Re: The 2007 Men's Fragrance Industry Hall of Shame Awards

Very interesting thread. I wasn't a member in the last year, and it is very interesting for me to see this poll.
    Specially I admire your courage, because you add the CREED name here! I think Creed should be the winner this year. Honestly I wanted to buy it blindly, and smelled it in a very rare ocassion! As you said its very cheap smelling! How lucky I was! Imagine I pay hundreds of $ then smell like my mother's facial care kit!

Let me add this points about other nominees:

#1 It's nothing strange about Armani. Although the brand made some reputable perfumes, generally I don't like their products. So I don't care about Attitude at all.

#2 This is a shame for these celeberities, they DO ANYTHING to make more money. Why a person with so huge amount of wealth behave in this manner? I can't understand.

#3 WINNER!

#4 I didn't smell cKIN2U for her, but masculine version is a kind of old fashioned musky scent and it wasn't successful at all here in Iran! I think it was a bad purchase for the retailers here, because no body wants to pay this price and smell so dated!

#5 You should take it easy! I don't like Thierry Mugler scents at all, but I admire his creations fully. His creations are original and qualitative IMO. I think it's not so bad that a company regulate its market with this methods. Put your self in their shoes, and you'd get the issue...

#6 I don't know about this airlines, but they choose a bad way for making money! In better word a funny way! I laughed a lot when I read about their new service!
    Last edited by msi_21; 10th November 2007 at 06:37 PM.

MFfan 310: interesting poll. I will never understand why a topic like this one shouldn't be discussed on the main board (?) !
    MSI_21 - you said it all! I have nothing to add. Thanks for your precision.
    Last edited by narcus; 11th November 2007 at 09:46 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi Ŕ un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Perhaps you have something against Creed/Erwin Creed .. how you managed to include Virgin Island Water (the best summer launch this year for sure!) in that list yet blatantly ignore stuff like Malle's French Lover & Outrageous!, the disappointing recent Luten's like Louvre and Sarrasins, the Bond no. 9's like Coney Island and Saks Fifth Avenue for Him, L'Artisan Jatamansi, and many more, is beyond me. Maybe you haven't sniffed a lot this year.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Perhaps you have something against Creed/Erwin Creed .. how you managed to include Virgin Island Water (the best summer launch this year for sure!) in that list yet blatantly ignore stuff like Malle's French Lover & Outrageous!, the disappointing recent Luten's like Louvre and Sarrasins, the Bond no. 9's like Coney Island and Saks Fifth Avenue for Him, L'Artisan Jatamansi, and many more, is beyond me. Maybe you haven't sniffed a lot this year.
    I do agree with ZZ here. I think Virgin Island Water was an incredible release (though I wish I wasn't forced to pay retail for it). I can see where some could make a comparison to cheap suntan lotion, but that's only on the surface.

Virgin Island Water is a very vivid, mouthwatering fragrance that feels alive. I couldn't even fully appreciate it during the summer-- but it's like somebody else pointed out recently-- go back and revisit it now that the weather is cold. It's all the more amazing.

Like Millesime Imperial before it, it seems to aspire to one goal, in simple terms-- to be the best smelling thing on earth.
    Last edited by Indie_Guy; 11th November 2007 at 08:34 AM. Reason: spelling

Wink Re: The 2007 Men's Fragrance Industry Hall of Shame Awards

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    MFfan 310: interesting poll. I will never understand why a topic like this one shouldn't be discussed on the main board (?) !
    MSI_21 - you said it all! I have nothing to add. Thanks for your precision.
    Thanks for your kind and inspiring words!
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    You are right in one aspect. Some of niche perfumers are producing unsatisfactory stuffs. But I want to say that, some of them like Bond no. 9 never had any respect, so it doesn't have any meaning to put their name here. They are in the list of "ALL TIME HALL OF SHAME"! I consider annual hall of shame for some brands like creed, who were reputable, but they did it WRONG! Do a little comparison between these CREEDs: GIT, MI and VIW.
    Celebrities, some great brands like Armani, cK etc, could be nominees because of their great creations in other categories and respect they gained there...AND some bad perfumes they put in the market!
    Last edited by msi_21; 11th November 2007 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

It looks like another comment on our 'winner' might be helpful:

1. All of the Creed perfumes released in 2006, and one released in 2007 have been taken off the market during the current year! I do not know why this had to be, but (potential) buyers may be a little disappointed by a company aspiring to be counted to the best perfume houses in the world.

2. The team of Olivier and Erwin Creed has been presented as one of the greatest among world perfumers during the past years. There is only one list of perfumers I have access to ( Nowsmellthis). While NST does include Creed in their list of houses, none of the gentlemen Creed is found among the noses. That could mean, NST (and others) believe that Creed perfumes have actually been created by hired 'noses' or third parties. In our societies I do not find it tolerable that the true creators of a perfume are kept nameless. I am surprised that no French union feels more of a responsibility here. Compare that to authors rights defendants in Hollywood !

Last edited by narcus; 11th November 2007 at 12:23 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi Ŕ un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Well, personally I think VIW is terrific (and I love Coney Island too so in yo' face, zztop! :P ) but I'm really fed up with all these lacklustre celebuscents that are clogging up the shops (and edging out all the good fragrances in the process). Enough already.

Riviera dei Fiori near Sanremo and Alassio

Virgin Island Water= a sweety Bounty, you know?
    A, quales ego mane rosas procedere vidi!
    Nascebantur adhuc neque erat par omnibus aetas.

I nominate Tom Ford for Men for this list. Please do add it, thanks.

I dunno, VIW is not that sweet on me. It's quite fresh and zingy, but with a nice dry down.
    My skin chemistry seems to take the sweetness out of a lot of fragrances, which is why I can wear things like Hypnotic Poison, Angel and Miel de Bois without knocking people over.

Tom Ford - well I've sniffed at a few of his. Some were quite nice, but yeah, probably too much too soon. What are your objections?

Banned

I voted for Celebrity Fragrance Makers, just too many...

And where are all the comments from the people who voted for Erwin Creed! (Including reasoning also!)
    Last edited by teger; 11th November 2007 at 11:12 PM.

I am doing the agree with a man named zz. VIW rox your sOxOrS!!!1!11!!!111!
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Tom Ford for the advertising, and more importantly, Estee Lauder Inc for going along with it.

YESSS

Columbus, Ohio on the MAP

Gotta love my hometown.

Can you name a Celebrity fragrance that is better than VIW? Or just as goood but at half the price?

Mm yes I'm not keen on those Tom Ford crotch- and butt-bottle photos.

I truly despise and hate all those celebrities with their fragrances.
    Paris Hilton,Britney, Celine, Usher, PeePoo daddy...etc., you know the names.
    Not only because they're all airheads, but the stuff they bring on the market is really crappy. A disgrace for perfumery.
    Last edited by eric; 14th November 2007 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    I truly despise and hate all those celebrities with their fragrances.
    Paris Hilton,Britney, Celine, Usher, PeePoo daddy...etc., you know the names.
    Not only because they're all airheads, but the stuff they bring on the market is really crappy. A disgrace for perfumery.
    You know i don't really like them either but every now and then there's some stand outs that i feel fill a void in the market: Paris Hilton for Men was the first one, then came SJP's scent and lately it was Hillary Duff's scent, all good examples of decent perfumery.

The rest, not so much.

Thumbs up Re: The 2007 Men's Fragrance Industry Hall of Shame Awards

I think "CUMMING" is a good celebrity fragrance. Obviously everywhere you have some exceptions.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by dewey eyed View Post
    Tom Ford for the advertising, and more importantly, Estee Lauder Inc for going along with it.
    I consider this kind of ad, unimaginative and rude.
    Last edited by msi_21; 15th November 2007 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I voted for celeb perfume makers, crass money grabs for the most part as if sticking a celeb snout on anything will turn it into gold.

As for Tom Ford, I have very mixed feelings about him, but ultimately even his worst moments have a level of artistry that makes me excuse him.

I would never vote for Creed, VIW redeems a lot, and Creed's worst sin is the same as SL's insofar as they feel compelled to push out something new.

My first choice would be Estee Lauder for the tacky Tom Ford campaign and, even worse, for not having the guts to put their name on it.

Of the list, though, I'd pick celebrity fragrances because most of them are inferior, hastily-churned-out scents that are cluttering up the shelves of department stores, drugstores and even grocery stores, causing many wonderful fragrances to no longer be carried.

As for Creed, while Erwin is moving the company in a trendier direction, the quality is still there. Most Creeds do have more depth than they seem to on the surface, including VIW. But Erwin is not yet working independently on these scents, and attaching his name to this poll will likely inspire votes from a few who just resent Erwin for being rich and good-looking.
    Last edited by tigers1901; 16th November 2007 at 12:42 PM.

He is? Is he single?

Talking Re: The 2007 Men's Fragrance Industry Hall of Shame Awards

Quote Originally Posted by tigers1901 View Post
    But Erwin is not yet working independently on these scents, and attaching his name to this poll will likely inspire votes from a few who just resent Erwin for being rich and good-looking.
    A very interesting psychological analysis! I think the same thing is true about all of those celebrities. Their products made us ill, because they are beautifull, handsome, rich and...

The winner is...
    Those female celebrities got votes from female basenoters...
    and those male celebrities got male basenoters!
    Is it ture?

Psychological analysis? Who needs that? All you have to do is watch threads about the fragrances Erwin Creed has worked on leads to posts about what a snob and spoiled rich kid he must be. Plenty of us truly don't care about Erwin's personal life or what he's like in private. We're just trying to discuss his progress as a perfumer, seriously. But considering the off-topic comments that Erwin's name sometimes inspires here, it's fair to say that at least some of the votes for him aren't about the fragrances.

Smile Re: The 2007 Men's Fragrance Industry Hall of Shame Awards

Quote Originally Posted by tigers1901 View Post
    at least some of the votes for him aren't about the fragrances.
    It make sense. SOME of vote may come from other motivations.
    But I insist on that, Virgin Island Water do not have anything, comparing with their previous works. I want something from these great brands, that can work for me.

Basenotes Plus

I love Virgin Island Water, it's an amazing scent. It could have very easily turned into a nasty suntan lotion scent. However, it's a warm, fresh, rum like scent that is perfect for summer. I agree, people don't like Erwin is rich, handsome and gets to play with perfumes all day! If VIW is the quality of scent that he's going to produce then I look forward to the future Creed Scents

I voted for the Celebrity scents, mainly because P Diddy's cheap rip off of Millisime Imperial annoys the heck out of me. They are perfumes for the sake of being perfumes, cheap rip offs with no integrity (i do also agree that there are exceptions here, however on the whole they pretty much suck).
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

DING! We have a winner... all those celebuscents!

And now that I think about it, I couldn't agree more. But still, I'm quite surprised that Skybus Airlines got more votes than Giorgio Armani and Thierry Mugler did combined. Maybe even Basenoters are repulsed by the idea of flying fragrance counters, even with $10 fares?
    Last edited by MFfan310; 17th November 2007 at 07:27 PM.
    Celebrating 10 years on Basenotes - and smelling better than ever

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."