Code of Conduct

Default Probably Slightly Offtopic

I'm trying to capture aromas to help me learn wine. I decided on the diy route and haven't managed to get very far in the world of smells. I stumbled here from google and it seems like I can learn a few things about the fragrance world while I'm here to help me on my project. My ideal goal is to capture the scents of common things (citrus, melons, fruit, woods) in jars. My problem is finding a way to do that. Essential oils came up in my searches, but beyond that I have no idea what is needed to capture a smell in a bottle. I need any information on how I should go about this, but a few pertinent questions are:

Do essential oils have a shelf life?
    Is using essential oils even the best way of going about this project?
    How do I get them? (around Charlotte, NC) Are their any good online stores?
    What is the best way to store any scent so it doesn't dissipate over time and/or spoil the scents nearby?
    Where can I get containers to suit my needs?

Default Re: Probably Slightly Offtopic

I'd check your local library for a few books on essential oils; they should answer a lot of your questions. A book on perfumery might also add to your knowledge.

"Do essential oils have a shelf life?"

Yes, though it varies widely depending on which essential oil you're talking about.

"Is using essential oils even the best way of going about this project?"

To be honest, though essential oils are used in flavoring alcoholic beverages, especially liqueurs, they might not be terribly relevant to wine.

"How do I get them? (around Charlotte, NC) Are their any good online stores?"

Essential oils are sold nearly everywhere I live - in fact there are currently four specialty stores - so you should be able to find them there. Check out your local drugstore; they might have a view - admittedly probably not high quality - essential oils.
    There are a great many online stores. Aromatherapy is a big business now.

"What is the best way to store any scent so it doesn't dissipate over time and/or spoil the scents nearby?"

Tightly sealed, in the dark, in a cool, dry, place. Though it depends on the scented material you're talking about.

"Where can I get containers to suit my needs?"

It depends on what your needs are. Essential oils are not easy to make for the most part, and you're usually better off buying them.