Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 33 of 33
  1. #1

    Default Am I exaggerating in stocking up?

    Hi all

    I need a little comparison with you all on the subject of stocking up. I've noticed that I can't stop myself from stocking up on the frags I love in fear of discontinuation. I want to know if you are as crazy as I am.

    So far I've stocked up 300-600 ml of the frags I mostly love:
    - Vintage Habit Rouge
    - Vintage Vetiver
    - Derby new and vintage
    - Mouchoir de Monsieur new and vintage
    - Coriolan
    - Vintage Shalimar
    - Vintage Jicky

    Hell I own gallons of the stuff, it will all survive me! Are someone like me out there?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Am I exaggerating in stocking up?

    Nope...just you.

    I have four bottles of Mitsouko...its the only one I care enough about to stock up on.

    ps - I heard they're adding Vetiver pour Elle to the Parisienne collection.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Am I exaggerating in stocking up?

    Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    Nope...just you.

    I have four bottles of Mitsouko...its the only one I care enough about to stock up on.

    ps - I heard they're adding Vetiver pour Elle to the Parisienne collection.
    Oh no - I'm all alone in that World of Exaggerating Stocking Up then :-(

    Yes I heard about the Vetiver pour Elle in Les Parisiennes http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds..._guerlain.html

    But have only heard bad things about it: too flowery, not really about vetiver...

  4. #4

    Default Re: Am I exaggerating in stocking up?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guerlain View Post
    Oh no - I'm all alone in that World of Exaggerating Stocking Up then :-(

    Yes I heard about the Vetiver pour Elle in Les Parisiennes http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds..._guerlain.html

    But have only heard bad things about it: too flowery, not really about vetiver...
    That's about all that could make me wear Vetiver...if it was floral and had no vetiver.

    I don't think stocking up in the perfumes that Guerlain is planning on changing because of the oakmoss restrictions.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Am I exaggerating in stocking up?

    Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    That's about all that could make me wear Vetiver...if it was floral and had no vetiver.

    I don't think stocking up in the perfumes that Guerlain is planning on changing because of the oakmoss restrictions.
    I gotta try Vetiver pour Elle anyway. I didn't get your last sentence, please say again?

  6. #6

    Default Re: Am I exaggerating in stocking up?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guerlain View Post
    I gotta try Vetiver pour Elle anyway. I didn't get your last sentence, please say again?
    They changed the formula for Mitsouko to omit oakmoss (in the EDT so far), and will probably be doing the same for many others (Shalimar, L'Heure Bleu)...so I think stocking up on those would be wise.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Am I exaggerating in stocking up?

    Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    They changed the formula for Mitsouko to omit oakmoss (in the EDT so far), and will probably be doing the same for many others (Shalimar, L'Heure Bleu)...so I think stocking up on those would be wise.
    That's exactly what I'm doing, hell you are just putting wood on the fire! Iiiirrkkk.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Am I exaggerating in stocking up?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guerlain View Post
    That's exactly what I'm doing, hell you are just putting wood on the fire! Iiiirrkkk.
    Haha. I wasn't crazy about the new version of Mitsouko...too "bready". Hence my stock-up. Well, if you have nothing else to spend your money on...why not?

    Did you see the vintage Apres L'Ondee on ebay right now?

  9. #9

    Default Re: Am I exaggerating in stocking up?

    Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    Did you see the vintage Apres L'Ondee on ebay right now?
    We saw the same? EdT from France? Or?

  10. #10

    Default Re: Am I exaggerating in stocking up?

    Yes you are exaggerating and that´s fine because you´re a perfume junkie, just like the rest of us !
    My record is 50 + bottles of Marrakech Tales / Fishbone, (the fragrance was launched twice under different names). Please take into consideration that they are all 50ml and 30ml bottles, so I´m not really exaggerating too much, am I ?

  11. #11

    Default Re: Am I exaggerating in stocking up?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guerlain View Post
    We saw the same? EdT from France? Or?
    This one. Over $1200 at the moment.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Am I exaggerating in stocking up?

    Mr. Guerlain,
    You're asking a population of addicts and obsessives if they should stock up?

    No, you're not alone at all. I will admit that I don't really do this much, though. I know perfectly well that my tastes will change over time. And I am a gourmand, not a gourmet, so a wide range of scents will please me.

    But even I will admit that one or two very favorite frags tempt me, and if I can get a deal, I'll buy an extra.

    Cheers, Dave

  13. #13

    Default Re: Am I exaggerating in stocking up?

    Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Yes you are exaggerating and that´s fine because you´re a perfume junkie, just like the rest of us !
    My record is 50 + bottles of Marrakech Tales / Fishbone, (the fragrance was launched twice under different names). Please take into consideration that they are all 50ml and 30ml bottles, so I´m not really exaggerating too much, am I ?
    Holy shit, I can't beat you! What a relief I'm not the only one. Have you estimated for how many years you got the stuff for?
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    This one. Over $1200 at the moment.
    Whoa! WHAT a bottle! Bad juice though, but that BOTTLE! Nice.
    Last edited by Mr. G; 7th November 2007 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  14. #14

    Default Re: Am I exaggerating in stocking up?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guerlain View Post
    Holy shit, I can't beat you! What a relief I'm not the only one. Have you estimated for how many years you got the stuff for?
    --------------------------------------


    Whoa! WHAT a bottle! Bad juice though, but that BOTTLE! Nice.
    Ya, I wouldn't pay anywhere near that unless the bottle was still sealed.

  15. #15

    Talking Re: Am I exaggerating in stocking up?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guerlain View Post
    Hi all

    I need a little comparison with you all on the subject of stocking up. I've noticed that I can't stop myself from stocking up on the frags I love in fear of discontinuation. I want to know if you are as crazy as I am.

    So far I've stocked up 300-600 ml of the frags I mostly love:
    - Vintage Habit Rouge
    - Vintage Vetiver
    - Derby new and vintage
    - Mouchoir de Monsieur new and vintage
    - Coriolan
    - Vintage Shalimar
    - Vintage Jicky

    Hell I own gallons of the stuff, it will all survive me! Are someone like me out there?
    Only that ones ?????

  16. #16

    Default Re: Am I exaggerating in stocking up?

    Quote Originally Posted by ROBERTO View Post
    Only that ones ?????
    You're a doll, thanks for comforting me!

  17. #17

    Default Re: Am I exaggerating in stocking up?

    Im right there with you Mr Guerlain...
    My wife stocked up with 4 bottles of "Purple Fantasy" prior to its deletion (and only wrung the last few drops from her final bottle about 5 months ago), and I am attempting to secure several bottles of "Love Potion No.9 for Him" now that Penhaligons has removed it from their portfolio.
    The Mrs has 2 Narciso for Her EDT's unopened in her drawer, and I have an "Escada Pour Homme" 40ml still in its cellophane for when my current bottle is finished.

    It really is an illness. But I can live with that.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Am I exaggerating in stocking up?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Im right there with you Mr Guerlain...
    My wife stocked up with 4 bottles of "Purple Fantasy" prior to its deletion (and only wrung the last few drops from her final bottle about 5 months ago), and I am attempting to secure several bottles of "Love Potion No.9 for Him" now that Penhaligons has removed it from their portfolio.
    The Mrs has 2 Narciso for Her EDT's unopened in her drawer, and I have an "Escada Pour Homme" 40ml still in its cellophane for when my current bottle is finished.

    It really is an illness. But I can live with that.
    Nice Dimitri! Is Purple Fantasy really that good? Never tried it, just thought it was a sweet fruity-floral...?

  19. #19

    Default Re: Am I exaggerating in stocking up?

    Purple Fantasy had some nice citrus notes, green tea, jasmine, osmanthus and a heart of violet. The base was Sandalwood and Cedar.
    It had a "sweet" quality that bordered on a gourmand style scent. But there was something that gave the scent a sense of whimsical nostalgia (maybe the winning "guerlain" note common to all their scents?). We couldn't put our finger on what exactly, but she wore it for evening outings and was often complemented by others around us for doing so.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Am I exaggerating in stocking up?

    No you are not exaggerating.
    Why wouldn't you buy these things you love when you know that - regardless of what the manufacturer says - the quality is dropping every year? Why wouldn't one stock up on a delicious wine when you know that the vintner is putting the wine in less expensive bottles, putting in less expensive grapes, altering formulae, etc? Shalimar is not the fragrance that it was fifty years ago when I gave my grandmother a bottle for Christmas. And what is so frustrating is that the good stuff is still being made. It is, however, not available to the "unwashed masses." The Champs Elysees store has much better selection of the best of Guerlain than one can get at any department store. One has only to compare Sous le Vent with L'Instant de Guerlain and the conclusion is pretty obvious. Why is Guerlain issuing all this crap when they could be selling original formulae in: Chant d'Aromes, Sous le Vent, Ode, Vega, Parure, Chamade, Mouchoir de Monsieur, Apres l'Ondee, Liu? And think of all the wonderful scents that will never be issued and that we can only dream of: Bouquet de Faunes, Djedi, Jasmiralda, Fleur de Feu. The future of fragrance is not pretty.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Am I exaggerating in stocking up?

    Quote Originally Posted by opalsdad View Post
    No you are not exaggerating.
    Why wouldn't you buy these things you love when you know that - regardless of what the manufacturer says - the quality is dropping every year? Why wouldn't one stock up on a delicious wine when you know that the vintner is putting the wine in less expensive bottles, putting in less expensive grapes, altering formulae, etc? Shalimar is not the fragrance that it was fifty years ago when I gave my grandmother a bottle for Christmas. And what is so frustrating is that the good stuff is still being made. It is, however, not available to the "unwashed masses." The Champs Elysees store has much better selection of the best of Guerlain than one can get at any department store. One has only to compare Sous le Vent with L'Instant de Guerlain and the conclusion is pretty obvious. Why is Guerlain issuing all this crap when they could be selling original formulae in: Chant d'Aromes, Sous le Vent, Ode, Vega, Parure, Chamade, Mouchoir de Monsieur, Apres l'Ondee, Liu? And think of all the wonderful scents that will never be issued and that we can only dream of: Bouquet de Faunes, Djedi, Jasmiralda, Fleur de Feu. The future of fragrance is not pretty.
    Yes it is really sad. The good part of your story is, however, that these fragrances ARE being made, it's just more difficult to obtain them.

    I have been told, but I'm not at all sure that it's true, that the original formulations, of for instance Shalimar, are still being made in some sort of secret laboratories, and if you are very wealthy, influential or have close connections with the company, you can get these original formulations. But still, it sounds like some sort of myth, doesn't it? Nevertheless it makes me envious to think about it, if it's true.

  22. #22
    Dependent pluran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    6,716

    Default Re: Am I exaggerating in stocking up?

    The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom because you never know how much is enough until you know how much is more than enough.

  23. #23

    Default Re: Am I exaggerating in stocking up?

    Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom because you never know how much is enough until you know how much is more than enough.
    Beautiful way of putting it. So maybe I learn when I sit as a sad 90 year old with 50 unused bottles of Guerlain perfumes...

  24. #24

    Default Re: Am I exaggerating in stocking up?

    Stocking up for me is more about if I find a good deal as opposed to fear of something being discontinued.

  25. #25

    Smile Re: Am I exaggerating in stocking up?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guerlain View Post
    Holy shit, I can't beat you! What a relief I'm not the only one. Have you estimated for how many years you got the stuff for?
    --------------------------------------
    No, I estimate how many times I can bath in it !!!!!

    Whoa! WHAT a bottle! Bad juice though, but that BOTTLE! Nice.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________

  26. #26

    Default Re: Am I exaggerating in stocking up?

    I stock up on certain perfumes when I find a grat deal such as Cerruti Pour Homme, which I bought for about $20 a bottle from a eBay seller in the Uk. I stock up on Black Cashmere for fear it may go the way as its sibling Chaos. I have multiple bottles of Ambre Sultan(25% off great deal deal at BeautyHabit.com on everything code: dc habit) Lutens might raise price. CdG Avignon might be discontinued, who knows Soon I'll start multiples of Musc Ravageur and Vetiver Extradinere. Only multiples of my Holy Grails

  27. #27

    Wink Re: Am I exaggerating in stocking up?

    Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Yes you are exaggerating and that´s fine because you´re a perfume junkie, just like the rest of us !
    My record is 50 + bottles of Marrakech Tales / Fishbone, (the fragrance was launched twice under different names). Please take into consideration that they are all 50ml and 30ml bottles, so I´m not really exaggerating too much, am I ?
    Come to your senses man! You don't need that many bottles. Put a few up for sale

  28. #28

    Smile Re: Am I exaggerating in stocking up?

    Gee. I thought I was a very disturbed individual. Now I don't feel so bad because I have alot of very disturbed friends here on basenotes.

    I only stock up on my absolute favorites. Derby Original, Homme de gres, Patou pour homme. For some reason the latest release of derby just doesn't smell as good as the vintage stuff. I have started thinking that three bottles of Homme de gres is a bit much. With all the scents I have I will probably never use all that juice. So occaisionally I get rid of one of my favorites. Sometimes I get just a bit rediculous but hey its fun isn't it.

    Rick
    For sale post

    [url]http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=190169[/url]

    " I wanna have my kicks before the whole s--t house goes up in flames"

    Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

  29. #29

    Default Re: Am I exaggerating in stocking up?

    If you consider the stocking up as a potential investment, then you really cannot go wrong. Store the stuff correctly (dark, dry and cool) and you have either a stock that will last you to the end of your days or a stock that, if your tastes are good (and no doubt, they are) and was amassed with a modicum of research and distinction, will increase in value over time. What you don't use or want, you can sell for a profit.

    Case in point. A few savvy collectors and dealers bought up, for very little money per bottle, mass quantities of Giorgio of Bev. Hills Red for Men when it was quietly discontinued in the mid 90's. Love it or hate it, it became one of the first price phenomena of the online market world with prices post 2000 appreciating at over 500% (though the market has cooled a bit recently and no, I was not one of the early investors in Red which is a very dirty little scent).

    So knock yourself out. Shop and stock away. It would be interesting to hear what recommendations other BNers would have for potential "investments." For example, I have purchased quite a few bottles of Ungaro I, II and even and especially III (which is currently really cheap online and I am certain soon destined for extinction.) Others that I acquire (no brainers really) Jean Patou PH, Versailles, and... wait for it... Casran of all things. It is really cheap and who knows when Chopard will pull that plug?

    Griff
    Last edited by Griff; 7th November 2007 at 11:30 PM.

  30. #30
    Basenotes Plus

    JaimeB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Francisco, California
    Posts
    5,406
    Blog Entries
    140

    Default Re: Am I exaggerating in stocking up?

    I have stocked up on a couple of things. I have replacement bottles already in place only for:

    Gucci Nobile (already discontinued and hard to find);
    Guerlain Derby (which is supposed to be axed); and
    Guerlain Coriolan (which it now turns out is to be reissued next year as L'Âme d'un Héros).
    Last edited by JaimeB; 7th November 2007 at 11:29 PM.
    Yr good bud,

    JaimeB

    "Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

    My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

    Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

    Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

    Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

    Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

    —Seneca

  31. #31

    Default Re: Am I exaggerating in stocking up?

    I have an unopened 30 ounce bottle of HALSTON 101.Also have a couple of bottles of NOBILE

  32. #32

    Default Re: Am I exaggerating in stocking up?

    I had stockpiles of stuff but had to sell most of it. I still do have 11 bottles of Helmut Lang Cuiron (though I had 22 at one point). If I had the money I would definitely stockpile more stuff.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

  33. #33

    Default Re: Am I exaggerating in stocking up?

    When a certain Tom Ford Extreme for Men comes out, I plan on buying between three and four bottles of it, just incase, especially since it's supposed to be limited edition.

Similar Threads

  1. Stocking up
    By greendragon in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 13th March 2008, 06:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •