Code of Conduct

Default Van Cleef & Arpels Men Concentrated Cologne

Just got my hands on the following:

It bears the same relationship to the original Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme EDT as does Chanel Égoïste Cologne Concentrée to the original Chanel Égoïste EDT. Namely, the Concentrated Cologne/Cologne Concentrée in both cases is not an eau de parfum version of the original. It is an eau de toilette version of the original in which the base notes feature more prominently than the top and heart notes. The top notes, and to a large extent the heart notes, have been almost entirely minimized, and the base notes have been concentrated. Like Chanel Égoïste Cologne Concentrée, that's why this one also goes by the designation "Van Cleef Arpels Men Concentrated Cologne" and not eau de parfum.

The bottle of the Van Cleef & Arpels for Men Concentrated Cologne even goes so far as to keep the Eau de Toilette designation on the bottle (see photo), and even on the other side of the box, it simply states "Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme Eau de toilette vaporisateur" (photo will be posted soon).

If you find the leather chypre element of Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme more to your liking than the strong herbal clove rose accord, then Van Cleef & Arpels for Men Concentrated Cologne is what you want. If, of course, you're fortunate enough to stumble across it like I did.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 11th November 2007 at 08:54 PM.

Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels Men Concentrated Cologne

Well i was fortunate to find this on ebay

Haven't really given it a complete wearing though. Now i have the vintage eau de toilette version, the reformulated pour homme version and the concentrated cologne. Wow

gupts

Pray tell where you lucky people get hold of these gems!!!
    Last edited by jellybean1973; 10th November 2007 at 11:21 PM. Reason: spelling...

I have this and do find that the basenotes dominate it, and it has ridiculous longevity on me.

Oh, my god, proof that there is life before the current edition of everything for all those out there that go to sleep and have their memory erased, like in the film Dark City. History is king and Queen.
    Thank you to the spirit of Basenotes, scentemental, gupts and all the others here that keep their posts connected to reality.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 11th November 2007 at 04:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Oh, my god, proof that there is life before the current edition of everything for all those out there that go to sleep and have their memory erased, like in the film Dark City. History is king and Queen.
    Thank you to the spirit of Basenotes, scentemental, gupts and all the others here that keep their posts connected to reality.

I know what you're saying Ruggles. One has to stay alert always to the fact that the current version of reality crammed down our throat is no less true in the media than it is with reformulations that rely on a quiet forgetting or, at best, a blithe unknowing. I take pride in that very little slips by me. There's some advantage to having lived with fragrances in their various incarnations for just on 30 years.

I hear you brother.

scentemental

P.S. Stay tuned for more updates on reformulations.

Last edited by scentemental; 11th November 2007 at 04:35 AM.

Unbelievable scentemental! Just when you think you can sleep trough the night, someone awakens some fire inside you Did you get it on ebay?

Scentemental, where did you find this rare concentration of VC pour homme ? And may we know how much you paid for it ?
    -

Dependent

Last edited by fredricktoo; 11th November 2007 at 06:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    I have this and do find that the basenotes dominate it, and it has ridiculous longevity on me.
    Glad to have my initial impressions confirmed Gimpy. It certainly does have "ridiculous longevity."

Quote Originally Posted by jellybean1973 View Post
    Pray tell where you lucky people get hold of these gems!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by InconcievableZen View Post
    Unbelievable scentemental! Just when you think you can sleep trough the night, someone awakens some fire inside you Did you get it on ebay?
    Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Scentemental, where did you find this rare concentration of VC pour homme ? And may we know how much you paid for it ?

No I didn't get it from eBay. I got it from an independently owned bricks-and-mortar perfumery. The only problem with buying from this place is that the owner really knows his stuff. Every now and then he has something rare for me but the price always matches the rarity. I paid $70.00 for this gem. Expensive, yes, but curiosity got the better of me. I have already written the expense off as a necessary part of my fragrance education, so I am more than cool with having paid that much. Life goes on.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 11th November 2007 at 06:01 PM.

I like this scent so much, but I was unaware of the reformulations. So how many ersions are there now and how they compare to each other? When the scent was changed? I tested it several times over last four years and always liked it.

Looks like VC&A knew how to torture the clients too--those bottles are 25mls! I'd fetishize it just because it's in such small amounts alone.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Looks like VC&A knew how to torture the clients too--those bottles are 25mls! I'd fetishize it just because it's in such small amounts alone.
    Exactly Chris. Well put.

As far as I know, it's never been issued in a larger size.

Last edited by scentemental; 11th November 2007 at 06:32 PM.