Code of Conduct

Cool Monochromatic wardrobe

I recently slimmed down my (clothing) wardrobe to exclusively grayscale (blacks, whites, and grays) with some red accents.

...and I'm incredibly satisfied with it! It's surprisingly versatile season-wise and (almost) everything matches everything else. Therefore, it's also very budget friendly. Another bonus is that my closet looks organized, California Closet-esque. Also, none of these colors really go out of style, so I can wear cheap stuff that isn't as obviously so due to that "trickle down" effect of color trends (okay, yeah, busted, I got that concept from The Devil Wears Prada).

Anyone else do something like this? Anyone else interested? Appalled?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Monochromatic wardrobe

That sounds really neat! I could never do that, though, lol. However, I do have a LOT of earthtones in my wardrobe, so a lot of my stuff matches, anyway. Other than that, I do have a lot of blacks, greys, navy blue, & a little purple (from the stuff I get on clearance from my school's bookstore, lol.

And...I always have a pair of Converse Chuck Taylors to match ANY outfit
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

True that, lately if I smush all my tees together its looking like some kinda of desert color gradient scale. Wouldn't mind a touch of monochrome that's something Club Monaco inspired but otherwise been happy to have been putting them consignment shops to use as far as cleaning out goes.

I tend to get irritated if a color isn't just right, so I wear almost exclusively black clothing because black is an easy "color" for clothes makers to get right.

I'd actually tend to go to dark colours in winter. Gray,navy, black and chocolate, although in spring summer I just love flashy colours, specially in accesories: pinks, yellow. lime white and neon blues
    Last edited by madridbatabidd; 13th November 2007 at 10:06 AM.
    Read my perfume reviews at: http://perfumenoparatodos.blogspot.com/

Digital art portfolio: www.dreamlandpostcards.com

I have found that I look best in black and dark greys, and would probably dress in this palette all the time, except that I become bored with it.

I like to throw a colorful shirt, hat or pair of shoes into the mix sometimes for my own amusement.

Almost all of my clothes are white, greyscale, black, and blue, with the exception of my t-shirts, most of which have skulls on them.

I have multiples of the same items, but in different colors. Six pairs of the same kind of Asics 80's tennis shoes, about 9 pairs of Express M22 bootcut jeans in different finishes, about 20 pairs of argyle socks, about 20 white/blue/grey button-up collared dress shirts, mostly from express and all taylored for an exact fit, and 7 plaid or patterned Kangol and Puma hats.

For Jackets, I have a few B-boy style Puma jackets, a Ben Sherman pea coat (light-med grey), a black nylon Banana republic overcoat, and I just got a beautiful lambskin leather bomber-type jacket. I've got a big black fluffy down coat from the gap, and I'm planning on buying a wool, knee-length overcoat for suits soon.

I've got about 5 suits right now. Charcoal, light char w/blue pinstripe, dark char w/blue pinstripe, khaki pinstripe, and black and white houndstooth. My next suits will most likely be custom-made from Burberry and Brooks Brothers and be charcoal pinstripe and black.

all this congruency in my clothing wardrobe makes me wonder if any common thread could be identified in my fragrance wardrobe!
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Cool Re: Monochromatic wardrobe

Quote Originally Posted by bernat View Post
    I recently slimmed down my (clothing) wardrobe to exclusively grayscale (blacks, whites, and grays) with some red accents.

...and I'm incredibly satisfied with it! It's surprisingly versatile season-wise and (almost) everything matches everything else. Therefore, it's also very budget friendly. Another bonus is that my closet looks organized, California Closet-esque. Also, none of these colors really go out of style, so I can wear cheap stuff that isn't as obviously so due to that "trickle down" effect of color trends (okay, yeah, busted, I got that concept from The Devil Wears Prada).

Anyone else do something like this? Anyone else interested? Appalled?
    Good for you!

Just don't wear black in the daytime around the French. They would be appalled, no matter how casual the outfit.

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Justiniani View Post
    Just don't wear black in the daytime around the French. They would be appalled, no matter how casual the outfit.
    ...What do they have against black?

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    ...What do they have against black?
    Nothing. At nightime . . .
    My Wardrobe

not true. black and dark colors are in fact the DOMINANT color in paris, regardless of time of day. the parisian fashion sense (and i'm talking the natives, not skanky tourists) is well-cut, conservative, discreet - and dark. admittedly, things do lighten up during the warmer months... we had a season a while back when scarlet-red sneakers were de rigueur for every guy under 30... but you can never be out of place wearing black in paris. just don't be overly goth (i.e., ink-black from head to toe -- toss in a bit of grey and texture) and you'll be the very definition of a parisian.

(i'm french by the way and spend a lot of time in paris, so hopefully that counts for a bit.)

Rodent, I was referring to black from head to toe--not goth just monochcronistic black, without relief from grey or other colors. Am I still off?

I miss Paris. From screaming cabdrivers, to the nurse in the doctor's office with a lit cigarette dangling from her mouth, to the artistic children of Paul Bocuse. The blue hour is just not the same anywhere else. It is The City of Lights--Sometimes I felt as if I was in an impressionist painting---and even the dumb pyramid glass entrance to The Louvre and Disney's travel packages will never destroy it.

Of course, the last time I was there was 16 years ago, so if everyone's now taken in the daytime to--, well, to 'dressing like a villain in a Star Trek movie ' * * Well, love it anyway.

Btw, ever see a woman so beautiful you think it must be a joke God has played on mankind just to torture us? If you can't take the daily pain in multiple doses, don't go to Paris.

Cheers,

Mario

---------------------------------
    ** Yes, that line was a shameless steal from Kill Bill 1, remember? Uma's referring to Sofie Fatale's monochronistic outfit, played by (French) actress Julie Dreyfuss.
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 26th November 2007 at 12:12 PM.
    My Wardrobe

Très ironique, I'm going there this summer to work on my language skilz