Code of Conduct

Default Classics - which one to choose?

After reading the post about men's classics again, http://community.basenotes.net/showt...n%27s+classics , I realised that my taste in fragrances is really kind of "old school". I appreciate the "recent" ones that don't try to please the masses - A*men, L'Anarchiste, Fahrenheit, The Dreamer.

Seeing that it's bonus month I would like some suggestions on which classic to get my hands on, that will complement my wardrobe (longevity and sillage get major preference!):

Chanel - Antaeus
    Caron - Pour Un Homme / Yatagan
    Van Cleef & Arpels - Pour Homme
    Givenchy - Gentleman
    Guerlain - L'Heure Bleue

Opium EdT (ladies) and Obsession are already on the list. Kouros is also hovering... Please also say why you suggest, if you do. Thanks!

Default Re: Classics - which one to choose?

I'd go with Kouros and Antaeus. Also isn't Aramis Havana still sold in South Africa? I'd get that too.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Hey jellybean, I say Van Cleef & Arpels over Antaeus, since they both smell incredible but the former beats it by miles in the longevity department on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Azsmells View Post
    Also isn't Aramis Havana still sold in South Africa? I'd get that too.
    Azsmells - it's in the wardrobe already

Talking Re: Classics - which one to choose?

I would say Anteas if choosing from your list. Yategan is a must sample first. I think you will either love it or hate it. I just couldn't get used to that celery smell. In the caron vein I would suggest the third man or 3 homme as it is sometimes referred to. Spicy but in my opinion inoffensive. I am sure some would disagree as someone is surly unable to like third man. But I think it is a great old school frag with the longevity and silllage you seek.

Rick
    For sale post

[url]http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=190169[/url]

" I wanna have my kicks before the whole s--t house goes up in flames"

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

Quote Originally Posted by DOCPSYCHO View Post
    In the caron vein I would suggest the third man or 3 homme as it is sometimes referred to. But I think it is a great old school frag with the longevity and silllage you seek. Rick
    Thanks Rick - that's why I've got it in my wardrobe already

After looking at your wardrobe, my vote is for Yatagan. My wardrobe is never without a bottle. The others you mentioned are noteworthy also. One exception is L'Heure Bleue, which is wearable but extremely feminine.

Patou PH if you can find it/willing to pay for it. Simply bacause it tops everything inc. any Creeds, Lutens, Malles, Chanels, Guerlains.. or whatever marketed as 'men/unisex' I've ever tried or owned. I wish I'd rather hate it though..

Quote Originally Posted by phibess View Post
    Patou PH if you can find it/willing to pay for it. Simply bacause it tops everything inc. any Creeds, Lutens, Malles, Chanels, Guerlains.. or whatever marketed as 'men/unisex' I've ever tried or owned. I wish I'd rather hate it though..
    Absolutely, one could never go wrong with Patou PH. A true classic in a class by itself.
    But the addiction might require a refi on the mortgage. There is no substitute either.
    Yatagan provides alot of bang for the buck IMO. $30 for 125ML.

I would have both Chanel Antaeus and Van Cleef & Arpels pour homme rather than pick one from these two. They both are powerhouses and longevity and sillage is top class.

They do share some similarities as well but IMO are different enough to deserve their own place in the wardrobe. VCA is more floral of the two and thats what makes it different from Antaeus.

I'd say get them both. VCA can be had really cheap online & if you want a bottle of Antaeus, ping me.

gupts

Basenotes Institution

Yatagan
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Using your list, I would choose Yatagan. Antaeus would be my second choice.

I have been somewhat successful in taming the infamous Yatagan celery note by letting it dry to the touch before allowing fabric to come into contact with my skin. If I don't, Yatagan gets stuck on the celery note and doesn't develop any further.

I am into the classics as well - I am waiting on Guerlain Derby, Givenchy Gentleman (blind buy) and Caron 3rd Man as we speak. The average year of introduction when I had six fragrances in my wardrobe was 1981. The average year for my current wardrobe of 95 has risen only slightly - to 1985.

If I can add to your list, I would definitely like to see you consider the following:

Alfred Dunhill - Dunhill for Men (1934) [discontinued but available]
    Aramis - Aramis 900
    Aramis - JHL
    Azzaro - Azzaro pour Homme
    Boucheron - Jaipur Homme [great - you already have this!}
    Calvin Klein - Obsession for Men
    Chanel - Chanel pour Monsieur (1955) (not Concentree)
    Chanel - Egoiste [excellent choice - you already have this!]
    Creed - Green Irish Tweed
    Davidoff - Zino Davidoff
    Ermenegildo Zegna - ZegnaIntenso
    Estee Lauder - Lauder for Men
    Etro - Sandalo
    Floris - JF
    Gucci - Gucci pour Homme [you already have this one too!]
    Guerlain - Derby [discontinued for the second time but available]
    Guerlain - Heritage [and you have this one as well!]
    Guerlain - Vetiver
    Hermes - Bel Ami
    Hermes - Equipage
    Knize - Knize Ten
    Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier - Santal Noble
    Narciso Rodriguez - Narciso Rodriguez for Him
    Parfums de Nicolai - New York
    Ralph Lauren - Polo (green)
    Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    Viktor & Rolf - Antidote

While a lot of these are considered classics now, some are recent introductions that IMHO will be considered classics someday.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by jellybean1973 View Post
    After reading the post about men's classics again, http://community.basenotes.net/showt...n%27s+classics , I realised that my taste in fragrances is really kind of "old school". I appreciate the "recent" ones that don't try to please the masses - A*men, L'Anarchiste, Fahrenheit, The Dreamer.

Seeing that it's bonus month I would like some suggestions on which classic to get my hands on, that will complement my wardrobe (longevity and sillage get major preference!):

Chanel - Antaeus
    Caron - Pour Un Homme / Yatagan
    Van Cleef & Arpels - Pour Homme
    Givenchy - Gentleman
    Guerlain - L'Heure Bleue

Opium EdT (ladies) and Obsession are already on the list. Kouros is also hovering... Please also say why you suggest, if you do. Thanks!
    No doubt: Antaeus (Chanel)
    Ciao,
    http://basenotes.net/wardrobe/8905

"Il profumo dei fiori non puo' andare controvento, ma il profumo delle buone azioni compiute da uomini virtuosi si effonde in tutte le direzioni."[Dhammapada]

From your list? Antaeus for formal/office wear; Yatagan for more casual affairs.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 11th November 2007 at 03:25 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Sillage and lasting power?
    From your list, Givenchy Gentleman.
    From TwoRoads list:
    Davidoff - Zino Davidoff
    Hermes - Bel Ami

Of course, I'd vote for the Guerlain ;-) But L'Heure Bleue is not really manlyish though very very old school indeed! I love it on myself though - nothing like it! - and my male butch boss smells fantastic wearing it too! Though maybe the parfum-version may be too extreme-spicy for most men...

Wink Re: Classics - which one to choose?

Antaeus. Stand's the test of time, with it's head held high!

One that may have not been mentioned it the Original Cerruti Pour Homme.

A genuine classic. Well worth considering.

Try to find the original,rather than the re-formulation,though.

I would choose these three in a following order:
    1. Chanel - Antaeus

2. Van Cleef & Arpels - Pour Homme

3. Givenchy - Gentleman

The other two are also very good though.

Santos de Cartier is the only classic I couldn´t live without.

I couldn't live without .. Antaeus - Van Cleef & Arpels & Kouros ,, Elevate the King from hovering into your must have list ..

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

I am interested in Van Cleef & Arpels too but want to now how different it is from antaeus. Someone told here that VC&A is more floral but it is the only difference ?
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

I highly recommend Antaeus and Gentleman.

Gentleman would be fantastic for a balmy Cape Town evening!