Code of Conduct

Thread: Discontinued !

Default Discontinued !

Very ugly subject I know, but very important to a club like ours.
    I was recently talking to a distributor and he explained to me exactly how it works.
    When a company pulls the plug on a product they do it as fast as possible, mainly in order to create space for a new product.Out with the old, in with the new.
    A broker is used and will fax worldwide to all the big players. Usually big chainstores like, in the uk, Debenhams, John Lewis, Boots etc. In germany, Karstadt, Kaufhoff etc, (I am not sure who that may be in other countries, but you get the picture).
    Depending on the size of the remaining merchandise, it is sold off incredibly cheap as a job lot and can range from 6,000 to 60,000 x a given product. Apparently, interested parties have to react very swiftly and the offer is usually snapped up within a matter of hours. This explains why often, (esecially with the smaller prodcers) a product will only be available in a certain country. Two examples are Jacques Bogart - Furyo. This was sold to a chain in finnland, and Balmain - bne was sold to the Karstadt chain in germany.
    There is a logic behind my telling you all this.
    I am hoping that basenotes will one day create a new forum dedicated to this subject.
    It could be a ` Fragrance Watch forum, where basenotes could post eg. Jan 2007 - Karstadt germany - Balmain, bne edt, deostick, available at 1/2 price !
    I feel something of this nature would be invaluable for basenotes members.
    Even if the product listed was in a far off country - in my case, usa - I could still ask friends travelling there to pick up a few bottles for me.
    I hope other members will join me in my request for such a forum.

Default Re: Discontinued !

Good idea - I also need that kind of forum.

I would support the idea, of course! But how about having it as a sticky in the Community / Fragrance Industry Discussion ? A sticky that could be updated when necessary. The activity in that discussion group is much lower. One page covers a whole quarter, or more, and threads are found much quicker than on the men's forum.
    'Il mondo dei profumi un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Thank you David - excellent post and idea. Many of us have suffered from the "discontinued" blues. You might be on to a "cure". Take care...

Mike

Good idea. However, I think we could do even more in this respect. As the largest community of fragrance lovers/fanatics/collectors..on the net (afaik) instead of just bemoaning the great lost frags we could perhaps make an effort towards bringing some of the universally acclaimed classics (Patou PH, Havana, Versailles...) back to life/market. This site has thousands of members and visitors, that's a lot of potential - if we organized ourselves and, say, started bombarding some of the companies like Proctor & Gamble and/or frag distributors with thousands of emails enquiring about a certain frag or started a petition..they might consider relaunching some of the lost frags. Why not? Some companies brought their frags back into (at least limited) production simply because they saw demand for it. E.g. Montana Parfum d'Homme has been recently resurrected I believe because Montana saw the gap after very similar Havana was discontinued...

Maybe we should form a coercive unit/squadron that would target and constantly attack company execs - e.g. 'we want Patou back, screw aquatics!'
    Last edited by phibess; 11th November 2007 at 02:11 PM.

But if I am a fan of say Montana Parfum d' Homme deo stick and its 1/2 price in Aulendorf German how the heck am I going to get my hands on some?

Sorry but I just can't jump a jet or ring up oversea phone calls.....

I fully support this idea also!

Scentimus, with the vast network of BN'ers around the globe, Im sure you wont ever have to rake up two-trillion frequent-flyer points just to buy a discontinued deo at half price...

Universal discounts in one country sometimes indicate a global change. I noticed a price cut first won Guerlain's Vetiver, later on Dior Homme. In both cases this was followed by announcements of more intense versions. Helmut Lang's Cuiron supply was gone within days after I heard about his retreat from the business. On the other hand: Biagiotti bottles seem to be sold on a permanent discount basis, and Roma, Venzia, etc are still all over the place.
    'Il mondo dei profumi un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Smile Re: Discontinued !

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    But if I am a fan of say Montana Parfum d' Homme deo stick and its 1/2 price in Aulendorf German how the heck am I going to get my hands on some?

Sorry but I just can't jump a jet or ring up oversea phone calls.....
    Point taken, but if the timing happens to be right and you hear that someone from your community is is travelling to germany on vacation or business yo could ask them to try and get some for you. Alternatively, through the web you could find and email the store
    and ask them if they can ship to your country.If they can, and you live outside the european community, you can shop tax free and save an additional whopping 18% on top of the 50% !!
    E.c. shop prices always include this very high sales tax, and you are exempt.......that must make it worth the effort !!!!

When a scent is discontinued it is offered for a good deal here. Intrusion for women costs about USD12 for 100ml here a month ago, by the company that imports these stuffs.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Let me join the voices of those who think this is a great idea. Whichever way (separate forum or a genderless sticky) Grant and others think would work best within the existing framework is fine by me!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by phibess View Post
    Good idea. However, I think we could do even more in this respect. As the largest community of fragrance lovers/fanatics/collectors..on the net (afaik) instead of just bemoaning the great lost frags we could perhaps make an effort towards bringing some of the universally acclaimed classics (Patou PH, Havana, Versailles...) back to life/market. This site has thousands of members and visitors, that's a lot of potential - if we organized ourselves and, say, started bombarding some of the companies like Proctor & Gamble and/or frag distributors with thousands of emails enquiring about a certain frag or started a petition..they might consider relaunching some of the lost frags. Why not? Some companies brought their frags back into (at least limited) production simply because they saw demand for it. E.g. Montana Parfum d'Homme has been recently resurrected I believe because Montana saw the gap after very similar Havana was discontinued...

Maybe we should form a coercive unit/squadron that would target and constantly attack company execs - e.g. 'we want Patou back, screw aquatics!'
    Good luck sir. Proctor & Gamble doesn't care whatsoever about what is good, they only care about one thing. (P-I=N)>$xx,xxx. Profit minus investment is equal to net. Is net greater than x amount of dollars?

Aquatics sell. That's all we need to know.

As far as getting discontinued fragrances from another country, the person that posted the find would probably be willing to accept a paypal payment, then buy said product and ship it to the US. I know it's against regs, but who cares? We sure don't.

And yes, I think it is a fantastic idea.
    - Rich
    Last edited by _R$_; 11th November 2007 at 11:38 PM.
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Its bad when they discontinue stuff I like. But even worse when they change the formula and try to push cheap crap on people who are fans of the old stuff.

Wink Re: Discontinued !

It has always puzzled me how a scent can be discontinued and then completely disappear. The logic of discontinuing a scent for me is that it is not longer selling, i.e. is no longer profitable for the releasing company. Once it is discontinued we scent locusts descend and wipe out the existing stocks, which to me indicates that the item should never have been discontinued in the first place, since it sells out quickly upon notice of discontinuation.

I would think that it would make more sense to advertise a limited price reduction of scents being considered for discontinuation to see the reaction, especially if the major creators know of basenotes and can post such information where it will mean the most profits to them.

I recall a Caswell Massey lilac based scent, Charleston Daphne, available until the mid-1980s. Knowing a friend loves lilac, I called Caswell's main New York store about ten years ago, inquired and found that two bottles existed, one of which I purchased. That's a span of 13 or so years, during which they kept those bottles for sale. Now I call asking about their discontinued Vetiver scent and customer service is non-existant. Without even checking for me, I am told it is discontinued and I must make do with that. There could be cases of the scent in their warehouse but no one wants to bother to look.

A consumer/competition based industry such as scent simply does not seem to care about the sensual/romantic personalities that are their bread and butter!

To continue the idea in revious post, why not re-issuing the scent when they see that it's complitely sold out in all online stores, etc whithin few months?
    Also, how they decide which scents to re-issue or keep advertising after many years (like XS or Hugo or recent relaunch of Givenchy Vetyver) or not? Why they discontinued Guerlain Coriolan, Nemo, or Helmut Lang?
    And the last thing: I just saw BMen selling for the full price in several airports in Europe. Hopefully that means it is still in production.