Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Question Fragrance sample assistance

Hello everyone,

Reading perfume blogs and joining basenotes, and has opened a whole new world to me. My thoughts about scent never centered on me and my perfume choices – I could talk for hours about roses – and which rose had the most perfect scent, strongest aroma etc. to rose fanatics, but never thought at all about my perfume choices over the years, and what attracted me, or the converse – what repelled my nose, or didn’t work with my body chemistry.

I don’t have the ability to detect top notes, mid notes, dry down – all those wonderful things you all discuss so knowledgably in posts and reviews – except in a most basic way, and while constructing my wardrobe here, of current and past owned scents and rating them, I began to wonder about what actually attracts me to scents and why some become staples and others not.

I certainly don’t fit the stereotypes I’ve read in fragrance ads, if I did I’d be a blonde
    because my favorite scent, on me, since the early 70’s is L’Heure Bleu and will remain the standard by which I judge everything else. I am brunette, brown eyes with beige/tan skin coloring. Nor do I fit "perfume personality" profiles – I am a feminist, aggressive/assertive, non frilly in clothing choices, and from what I can puzzle out from the basenotes directory and Now Smell This – the common denominators in my perfume staples are florals. What I have also found is that with a few exceptions (Oscar de La Renta & Myurgia) I prefer French perfumes, and seem to be attracted to neroli, aldehydes, sandalwood, freesia, and vanilla.

Would like help from those of you who know more about perfume in constructing a profile for me – of scents I might want to experiment with, since I would like to try new ones. Have already ordered decants of some Serge Lutens, since I have had my interest piqued here by the enthusiasm expressed by so many posters.

As stated above my all time favorite is L’Heure Bleu. Second current favorite is also a Guerlain, Voile d’Ete, third is Poeme - Lancome. For many years also wore: Chanel No 5, and Volupte

In younger years: Ciara, Madame Rochas, Flor de Blason and Maja, Opium (only in the evenings)

Two favorite soliflores: present - Freesia – Crabtree and Evelyn, past - Tea Rose, Perfumers Workshop

I would appreciate suggestions of decants/samples to order – have little opportunity to go to stores and sniff anything – only large store nearby is Macy's (went in last week and sniffed a bit) and I am not interested in the plethora of celebrity scents or the teeny-bopper selections they are pushing. Most to my nose were awful.

thanks in advance,

Denise
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

Default Re: Fragrance sample assistance

pm me your address and I will send you a few samples from my collection that I think you may enjoy trying. I sense we have similar tastes from your post, but there is much in your wardrobe I am unfamiliar with.

Renee
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Blog Entries

Thank you Renee,

I appreciate the offer

addy pm'ed!

Denise
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

I'm going to go and recommend Serge Lutens - Sa Majestie La Rose. To me, this is the best rose scent I have ever sniffed. As a rose expert, I think you'd enjoy it.

I also think you'd enjoy the Carons. I'm not an expert but of the ones I've sniffed, I prefer the Daltroff era Carons...Tabac Blond, Narcisse Noir, En Avion, Farnesiana (the latter was created from Daltroff's notes after his death), Nuit de Noel, N'Aimez Que Moi and so forth. Have a look in the directory - there's plenty of info there.

Blog Entries

Thank you Indiscreet - will order a decant asap of the SL Sa Majestie La Rose. Funny you should mention the Caron's - have been reading about them for some time and ordered samples of Fleur de Rocaille & Nocturnes...searched high and low for a bottle of Violette Précieuse in original formulation, but have not found one, yet.

Am amazed at the number of Caron's listed in the directory - many sound quite lovely
    Last edited by DeeOlive; 11th November 2007 at 05:33 PM.
    Chanakya

Yes there are. So far I only own Tabac Blond but I really want the Narcisse Noir extrait. I've also got a sample of En Avion and have tried Poivre. The others I've only sniffed but Farnesiana really stood out. It's supposed to be a Mimosa soliflore but it has a nice marzipan note that I liked very much. I'm just trying not to like too many because of the expense, but I really dig the house accord.

I've only tried two Carons (Poivre and Nuit de Noel), both in extrait form, and I must say that they are exquisite. I long to visit a Caron boutique and get FBs.
    Another belief of mine; that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.

Margaret Atwood

Blog Entries

Sigh - reading the descriptions and reviews of Farnesiana - I am now inventing rationales for myself for sampling - lol - it was launched in 1947 - my birthyear - sounds like an excellent excuse to buy it (as if I need excuses to buy more perfume) . I see that Narcisse Noir can be had quite cheaply in several online shops - I wish I could find the Narcisse Blanc as easily - would like to have both.
    Chanakya

I will say go for the extrait rather than the parfum. I had a sample of Narcisse Noir EDT and it doesn't last long on me (hence saving up for the extrait!) although I have Tabac Blond in the EDP.
    There's a Caron boutique in New York - I'm not sure if they'll ship samples though.Some of the ladies here might be able to help.