Code of Conduct

Default Bois Farine - my latest obsession

First sniff - horror....why would anyone want to smell like peanut butter?

Later in the day...where is that beautiful smell coming from? Oh, its me! (love it when that happens). I'll admit that the peanut accord is strange...and I for one really detest peanuts and peanut butter in general, but I've grown quite fond of it.

Almost like the first experience with Tubereuse Criminelle, the top notes can be quite off-putting. What's really sealed this scent for me is the iris. The dryness of flour complimented perfectly by the cold, dry iris, and accentuated even further by the plethora of woods.

The perfect contrast of minimalism in keeping with L'Artisan and Ellena's aesthetic, but in the realm of gourmande. A true classic...I only wish Iris Ganache had gone in the same direction.

Default Re: Bois Farine - my latest obsession

On me the peanut butter note is gone within a minute or two and then I am left with the most wonderful iris/almond/wood/musk accord that lasts and lasts. I get a good 5 or 6 hours out of this. Silage is low and it stays very close to the skin but who cares? When I am walking or moving I will get a hit of this and think the same as you...what smells so wonderful? Oh yeah, it's me! It's a comfort scent to me.

Bois Farine is one of the most extraordinary scents.

Peanut butter accord fades very quickly and you can smell very nice and extremely warm woody scent.

It's a mood scent to me. I wear it occasionally.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

I must re-visit BF. I recently fell fast and deep for Mechant Loup with its hazelnut accord. In New York there are street vendors that sell peanuts and have a banner on their carts that reads, "Nuts for Nuts".
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 11th November 2007 at 06:30 PM.

Smile Re: Bois Farine - my latest obsession

Wow. Thanks Sofresh and the rest of you guys. I just tested Bois about a week ago and loved it except for this weird opening note that I couldn't quite identify. Now I know and agree with the peanut butter accord you are talking about. Like others have said previous to me it does go mostly away after a minute or two and I am left with this great musky buttery scent with woods

Rick
    For sale post

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=190169

" I wanna have my kicks before the whole s--t house goes up in flames"

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

Basenotes Institution

Before Basenotes I would not have ever have heard the word 'cereal accord' - but Bois Farine manages to encapsulate this word perfectly.

Yes, once I heard that BF smelled like peanut butter then of course I smelled the similarities. However, as already commented, this top note transitions very smoothly to the heart of the scent which to me can only be accurately described as: nutty, buttery cereal note.

The scent is just subtle enough not to smell like 'spilled food' on your skin, and tenacious enough to stick to your skin in the same way that a kitchen retains the smell of fresh baked bread after the baking has finished.

I am a card carrying JC Ellena fan club member, yes. But BF is one of the many L'Artisans that smells like absolutely nothing else on this entire planet and still retains its wearability. Fascinating juice.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Maybe it's Peanut Butter Cap'n Crunch.

Interesting scent-- not my style. Maybe I'd like it on a girl. For a while about a year ago, my building had a smell from time to time that was just like Bois Farine. I don't think anyone in my building wore it-- but it was just an accumulation of other smells I think.

It smells like a particular kind of almond cookies I used to have as a kid ... nothing I would like to have on my skin, I used up my decant as a room spray .. works great in cool weather, imparts a warm gourmandy atmosphere to the house. I will take the other Ellena creations.
    Last edited by zztopp; 12th November 2007 at 12:33 AM.
    -

I don't get any almond note...I HATE the smell of almonds...its the reason I gave away my bottles of Cologne Blanch and L'Eau D'Hiver.

Either way...I'm glad I don't. I adore this scent. My love for iris keeps increasing and this is the most unique take on it I've come across.

good choice, I love this one. I don't get much peanut butter and I really like the opening.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

One of my favourite L'Artisans: odd and addictive, yet highly elegant.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

i love it .. love .. love it..
    i am just crazy about it .. my fav. from LÁrtisan & Ellena
    so comforting & coconish.. this is just all what i need
    Last edited by tariq; 12th November 2007 at 04:08 PM.

Off-Scenter

Poor me. The peanut butter never goes away. If I want doughy iris, I've got to stick with Iris Silver Mist. Otherwise I risk being mistaken for a third grader's lunch...

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    Poor me. The peanut butter never goes away. If I want doughy iris, I've got to stick with Iris Silver Mist. Otherwise I risk being mistaken for a third grader's lunch...
    I don't find ISM to be doughy...I'm starting to love the peanut butter, although it doesn't last too long on me.

I find the new Prada Infusion D'Iris to smell very similar to BF in the drydown...very nice.

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    I don't find ISM to be doughy...I'm starting to love the peanut butter, although it doesn't last too long on me.

I find the new Prada Infusion D'Iris to smell very similar to BF in the drydown...very nice.
    Interesting! I've never found the "silver" or the "mist" in Iris Silver Mist. I don't get that crisp metallic edge that so many have described, nor do I find the scent in any way ethereal. To me it's a very smooth, buttery, and (yes) "doughy" iris that even flashes hints of gourmand cocoa in its first half-hour. For the "rooty," crisp iris that some have sensed in Iris Silver Mist, I go to Iris Bleu Gris.

Needless to say, my nose is perverse.