Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Frankincense, but rich and long-lasting?

First of all, I love CdG Avignon. Frankincense has many really positive associations for me - none of which involve a church, perhaps surprisingly, given most reviews - and Avignon does it fantastically. However, the dry down mellows it considerably and it seems to fade quite quickly; I'm lucky to get five hours out of it.
    Cardinal and Passage d'Enfer are on my to-try list, but from the descriptions, they both sound like lighter frankincense fragrances too.
    What I'm looking for is a frankincense fragrance: it doesn't have to be just frankincense, as long as it's a prominent note. Frankincense with a mixture of incense notes would be just great. Perhaps I could describe what I'm looking for as something like Avignon with the thick, rich, long-lasting qualities of something like L’Air du Désert Marocain.
    It may not be out there, but if anyone has any suggestions - even if they don't sound quite like that - I'm happy to hear them out!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Frankincense, but rich and long-lasting?

OK, have I got the fragrance for you! Andy Tauer (creator of L'Air du Desert Marocain) has a new scent coming out any day called Incense Extreme. It is a heavy duty frankincense with some orange and spices. I believe it is perfume strength. This is your long lasting incense. It will be available at Lucky Scent when he releases it. Keep an eye out for it.

Like you, I have been very disappointed with many incense scents because on my skin they fade almost within an hour...including CDG Avignon. I also wanted more sillage. Oh, and if I remember correctly, Goutal has several incense scents coming out soon as well. Good news for us incense lovers.
    Last edited by paintrman; 27th November 2007 at 04:42 AM.

Frankincense by its very nature is a top note/mid note element in fragrances. It's never going to last till the base note drydown like heavier less volatile perfume mainstays like patchouli, sandalwood, cedar, oakmoss etc.

Having said that, the one fragrance that does manage to sustain the frankincense note for a significantly longer duration than most others is Profumum's Olibanum.

scentemental
    Last edited by scentemental; 27th November 2007 at 05:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post
    Frankincense by its very nature is a top note/mid note element in fragrances. It's never going to last till the base note drydown like heavier less volatile perfume mainstays like patchouli, sandalwood, cedar, oakmoss etc.

Having said that, the one fragrance that does manage to sustain the frankincense note for a significantly longer duration than most others is Profumum's Olibanum.

scentemental
    Scentemental, doesn't Czech & Speake Frankincense & Myrrh have a frankincense drydown ?
    -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Scentemental, doesn't Czech & Speake Frankincense & Myrrh have a frankincense drydown ?
    It does but I prefer the Incense and rose dry down of No. 88

orange?

Quote Originally Posted by paintrman View Post
    OK, have I got the fragrance for you! Andy Tauer (creator of L'Air du Desert Marocain) has a new scent coming out any day called Incense Extreme. It is a heavy duty frankincense with some orange and spices. I believe it is perfume strength. This is your long lasting incense. It will be available at Lucky Scent when he releases it. Keep an eye out for it.

Like you, I have been very disappointed with many incense scents because on my skin they fade almost within an hour...including CDG Avignon. I also wanted more sillage. Oh, and if I remember correctly, Goutal has several incense scents coming out soon as well. Good news for us incense lovers.
    I was about to say exactly the same thing!

Yes, Andy Tauer's Incense Extreme should be out sometime early next year - it should have actually been out before Christmas but there was the odd delay in its production. It'll actually be EdP strength - this alone should be encouraging. I've never purchased an incense scent because of both longevity/sillage issues and lack of wearability - hopefully, IE should fill that gap in the market.

It's the only new release that I'm really looking forward to...

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the Olibanum by Profumum recommendation. It is Avignon-esque in its use of frankincense, however it's got hearty longevity, even though it is slightly linear. It's also incredibly expensive...

I would avoid Passage de Enfer or Cardinal - both are great incense scents, but are not frankincense powerhouses.

Have you tried Black Tourmaline by Olivier Durbano?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    ... Czech & Speake Frankincense & Myrrh...
    This is an outstanding recommendation, and was the first thought in my mind. It is a surpisingly warm, longlasting incense scent of wonderful quality!
    Last edited by wicozani; 27th November 2007 at 04:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking forward to it! I've been quite impressed by the two Tauer fragrances I've tried ( L'Air and Lonestar Memories ), so I'm intrigued to see how he'll handle this incense fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I agree with the Olibanum by Profumum recommendation. It is Avignon-esque in its use of frankincense, however it's got hearty longevity, even though it is slightly linear. It's also incredibly expensive...
    I'll have to try that one; I do most of my testing through samples, so price shouldn't be too much of a problem. ( At least initially. )

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Have you tried Black Tourmaline by Olivier Durbano?
    No, I haven't; I'm not so sure about the pine that was mentioned in the notes - burnt pine resin can be a little overwhelming in real life - but I'll definitely have to try it out some time.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Frankincense, but rich and long-lasting?

possibly messe de minuit by etro, Norma Kamali has a very deep and strong incense scent but it contains copali and is somewhat linear.

Rick
    For sale post

[url]http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=190169[/url]

" I wanna have my kicks before the whole s--t house goes up in flames"

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    ...No, I haven't; I'm not so sure about the pine that was mentioned in the notes - burnt pine resin can be a little overwhelming in real life - but I'll definitely have to try it out some time.
    I wouldn't worry too much about pine in Black Tourmaline - I don't think it's all that dominant. What stands out in this scent (besides incense) is smoke.

Some other frankincense fragrances I would recommend trying, and which have not yet been mentioned, are Dia, by Amouage, L'Homme Sage, by Divine, and L'Artisan Parfumeur's Dzongkha.

Good luck hunting!

Pomegranate Noir has Frankincense through the middle and into the base to my nose.

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    Pomegranate Noir has Frankincense through the middle and into the base to my nose.
    A good thought! And don't be fooled by the EdC concentration - this stuff lasts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Michael Storer's brand new MONK EDP is a deep toned, incensey frankincense or olibanum eau de parfum which also has some chocolate and civet notes. Definitely worth a try, I'd say.
    MICHAEL STORER fine niche perfumery for the individualist
    www.michaelstorer.com

Post Thanks / Like

`If you do say so...yourself!

Post Thanks / Like

OK, have I got the fragrance for you! Andy Tauer (creator of L'Air du Desert Marocain) has a new scent coming out any day called Incense Extreme. It is a heavy duty frankincense with some orange and spices. I believe it is perfume strength. This is your long lasting incense. It will be available at Lucky Scent when he releases it. Keep an eye out for it.[...].
    According to the blog or website, forgot which, this will be presented in the village (Zurich's village that is) on December 15, and available from web shops in January 08.
    Last edited by narcus; 28th November 2007 at 07:25 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Post Thanks / Like

Avignon's still the best although I haven't tried Olibanum. I have a hard time believing it's as good as Avignon but I look forward to trying it. Avignon lasts pretty well when applied right. It smells great on clothes. Combined with Black Aoud it makes something exceptional with greater longevity.

If you want a VERY long-lasting incense-y drydown, try Photo by Lagerfeld. Admittedly, it's the benzoin that lasts and lasts and lasts (not frankincense); however, the two are (IMHO) remarkably similar in many ways, and both are chief ingredients in both Eastern and Western incenses.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Narcus, thanks for the info. I just wrote to Andy and asked that question! Spooky. I think Andy is a great guy and a very talented perfumer.

I don't get a lot of Frankincense from Antaeus, however it lasts on me.

In its dying breath, the frankincense tends to come out. One time I went to the gym after wearing Antaeus all day. The frankincense really wafted off me on the treadmill!

You might give Eau de Zum a shot (I got mine at Whole Foods - its a roll-on oil rather than an alcohol based spray), it is quite rich & powerful.

P.S. One other suggestion, Helmut Lang - Cologne. Very frankincensy, not too strong but subtle and lasts all day. Very good stuff. Might not have the richness you're looking for, but a lot more wearable than one which might overwhelm you. (Eau de Zum can be very strong, esp. at first.)
    Last edited by MisterK; 29th November 2007 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Added Helmut Lang - Cologne
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]