Code of Conduct

Default Monsieur de Givenchy and Vetyver

What a pleasure to see these two fragrances at my local Hudson Bay Store!
    Monsieur de Givenchy is a soft and elegant mixture of citrus, lavender and herbs, the fragrance for a gentleman. I remember it well from the Sixties and at that time it seemed a little too formal and refined. Now that I am a lot older it seems like a perfect fit.
    Vetyver never made it to my part of the world. Along with Guerlain's Vetiver, Carven's Vetiver and Lanvin's Vetyver (the long discotinued edition), this scent is the epitome of a beautifully balanced and subtle fragrance. (I am not forgetting the modern beauties: Malle's Vetiver Extrordinaire and Lalique's Encre Noir.) It is more similar to the Carven than to the Guerlain in that the vetiver is the main story; in the Guerlain tobacco also plays a prominent part. The Lanvin was also a beauty but it had a strong peppery note that made it unique.
    Vetiver is probably my favourite note in perfumery: the grassy scent is fresh and heavy at the same time, very tenacious and subtle.
    Both Monsieur and Vetyver are tremendous bargains at $70.00 for 100 ml. and are packaged in elegantly slim frosted glass.
    You might want to also look for something for your lady from this line: both Le De and L'Interdit are wonderful and come in the same packaging.
    Thank you Givenchy for relaunching these scents and giving them wide distribution!

Default Re: Monsieur de Givenchy and Vetyver

I couldn't agree more, and I wish other houses would use this model to re-introduce scent recipes they've discontinued.

I never smelled the Givenchy Vetyver way back when, but I sure like and bought it in this new release. Opalsdad is right that it is like the 2006 Carven release of Vetiver, and that's cool with me. Both smell great. Seems we're living in pretty good vetiver times.

I have to add that Xeryus is released now in this frosted upright glass bottle too.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Amen to the two posts above. Monsieur de Givenchy is a long-time fave. I had never smelled the original Givenchy Vetyver but had always heard that it was a gem. When it came out at the local Nordstrom's, I had to buy it, and am quite glad I did. While it is somewhat more herbal than the floral ( I smell lavender and lily of the valley) Carven, I do agree that there is similarity, and love them both. I'm even tempted to purchase a back-up bottle of the Vetyver, as I am not convinced Givenchy will keep it around.

Any idea where I'd be likely find to find the Givenchys (ies?) above?
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

The Givenchy Vetyver re-release is very fine. My significant complaint is with
    its short lifespan. I get not much more than one hour from it. That hour is fantastic
    though.

What gives? My local Nordstrom is charging $85 for 100ml.
    Too much for a short-lived vetiver in the vein of Carven's fine re-issue.

LJ, my local Nordstrom has them. In the women's section they have Eau de Givenchy and Givenchy III, I think it was, in addition to the ones Opalsdad lists.

TG, that's rotten about the $85, because my local Nordstrom charges $65 for Vetyver, Monsieur, and Xeryus bottles. (I think the women's releases are $85 at my local.)

OH OH OH!
    Now I am going to be hiking down to the Perfume Stores... Givenchy Vetyver was my all-time favourite for a good 5 years in the 80's... When it was discontinued I felt a terrible hole was punched in the morning sky.
    Will report back as to the changes made in the scent once I get a bottle and use it for a while...

Quote Originally Posted by trumpet_guy View Post
    The Givenchy Vetyver re-release is very fine. My significant complaint is with
    its short lifespan. I get not much more than one hour from it. That hour is fantastic
    though.

What gives? My local Nordstrom is charging $85 for 100ml.
    Too much for a short-lived vetiver in the vein of Carven's fine re-issue.
    Do you find Carven Vetiver to be short lived as well?

Joe

It's funny, but I haven't found either the Carven or Givenchy Vetyvers to be short lived. It might just be my good luck though.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Frances View Post
    Do you find Carven Vetiver to be short lived as well?

Joe
    Carven's 2006 re-release of Vetiver has reasonable longevity. Maybe four hours.
    Givenchy's lasts essentially one hour on me.
    Last edited by trumpet_guy; 25th November 2007 at 09:56 AM.

Wink Re: Monsieur de Givenchy and Vetyver

I have gone to Nordstrom's web site and the Vetyver is not listed among their 14 Givenchy products.

Desperately seeking a sample vial. I am new to Basenotes and don't know how decants work - are they similar to the small plastic vial most cologne samples come in? Is anyone willing to sell me a small vial?