Code of Conduct

Default John Varvatos - any similarity to Hugo Dark Blue???

...or have I been scammed? I just bought a tester bottle of John Varvatos from eBay, and when I sprayed it on me, I was immediately overwhelmed with a "Hugo Dark Blue" type of scent.

I've tried Varvatos in the store and I don't recall any resemblance to Dark Blue. I looked the bottle over and it does not appear to have been tampered with (but who knows what's going on under the protective cap in terms of glue).

I'd be curious what you guys think. Without smelling it I know it's difficult for you to make a guess though.

The funny thing is, I ran out of Hugo Dark Blue recently and was going to buy another bottle soon. The cost I paid for this is $32.50 shipped. I believe that's what Dark Blue would cost me too.

In other words, I'm not upset at all. But of course, it would have been nice to actually get John Varvatos...unless it really is but just smells like Dark Blue.

Comments?
    Last edited by atrac; 12th November 2007 at 03:42 AM.

Thrax

Default Re: John Varvatos - any similarity to Hugo Dark Blue???

John Varvatos and Dark Blue are two different animals. I belive something must be up with your bottle.

Yes, they are very different, I cant detect any similarity at all!

:S really? that was the first connection I made when I tested Hugo DB... True, They are very different in nature, but still, they share some very important similarities on the top notes that I cannot point out or ignore. The difference comes at the dry down. Varvatos has a masculine and fruity scent while dark blue just gets... somkey? darker? Same thing happens with Armani Code (just sweeter). IT is important to mention that while I do not care for Code or Dark Blue, Varvatos isone of my favorite scents right now.

I do not believe that he has a bad bottle of Varvatos (although you never know).