Code of Conduct

Default Is my daughter too young for fragrance?

My daughter Kyra will be 9 in Dec. She's a girly girl as apposed to a tom boy. Likes to paint her nails and likes perfume, etc. No makeup though. She only wears perfume when we go out, or on special occasions, and just considers it part of dressing up.

Reason I ask is, with her B-day coming up, I was thinking of getting her a gift box of her favorite frag. It includes a small bottle of perfume, some scented lotion (which she loves also), and a small amount of solid frag.

So, is this an inappropriate gift for a 9yo? Opinions?

Thanks,
    Russ

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Is my daughter too young for fragrance?

I think it' s a very nice idea, and can not see why it should be in any way inappropriate.

I think she will love it!

Edit: Just out of curiosity - which is her favorite frag?
    Last edited by musse; 11th November 2007 at 11:23 PM.
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

I think you are never too young.
    You know, I would never get her Opium, lol, but something soft and fresh would be nice.

I think the most important consideration is to teach her proper application; it should be discreet.
    Last edited by leffleur; 12th November 2007 at 12:15 AM. Reason: adding thoughts

Post Thanks / Like

I think I had Love's Baby Soft at that age.

I think it's a great idea, but this is one time when age may matter...like leffleur said, skip Opium...and Boudoir and Libertine.

I hope she has a very happy birthday!
    Last edited by Zibeline; 12th November 2007 at 01:20 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a wonderful gift.
    Age has nothing to do with experiencing the joy of the sense of smell.
    Too many people have grown up without developing good olfactory "taste" because they start too late and limit themselves to the familiar. It is like being exposed to fresh produce, gourmet foods, and exotic cuisine from young.
    I hope you start her on a lifelong scented journey that will bring her pleasure for the rest of her life.

Post Thanks / Like

No: Fracas, Opium, Coco, Secretion Magnifique, Musc Ravageur, or anything musky/spicy/sexy like that

Yes: Amazing Grace, Vera Wang Princess, Lolita Lempicka, Marc Jacobs Daisy, Pink Sugar, or anything fruity-floral or gourmand-y like that
    Last edited by MiaKulpa; 12th November 2007 at 12:31 AM.

Please visit SalonAesthetica.com (undergoing redecorating, but still open for business and will be motoring along soon)

Quote Originally Posted by Sestra View Post
    Kelly Caleche smells like Beelzeebub's urine to me...

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

totally appropriate

and girls that age love scented lotions too!
    I've trademarked the color bleu

We don't have children yet,
    but we're now seriously talking
    about it.

I ran this one by my hubby too,
    and we both agree that she's
    never too young for good taste,
    and enjoyment of fragrances.

Go for it !
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

Post Thanks / Like

*As long as you do the same for any sons

Thanks for the responses. I've been teaching her a little goes a long way, so for now, just a spritz on the wrist. She reeeally loves Gwen Stefani's L, so that was my plan. It's a nice, youthful scent. She also enjoys the trio of Jo Malone samples I just got, especially Lavender and Amber.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone.

I don't think there is a problem here as long as the scents are appropriate to her age. (By that I mean that I hate seeing the ads for some teen fashion high street shops where very young teenage girls are dressed in provocative clothing - that IMHO is wrong).
    When my daughters started wearing scents they just wanted all the celeb scents, some of which were awful!. Since we discovered the Perfumed Court and SAMPLES(wehey!) my daughters have been wearing classy stuff which is much better. Currently my 14 yr old is wearing Gucci's Envy as it suits her.
    Just teach her to smell the good stuff and enjoy it - and if wearing at school be VERY discreet in the application.
    Have fun!

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely not too young IMO - I bought my first perfume at age 7-8. Bought my sisters first for her 8th birthday too (vanilla oil from the Body Shop) before that she used to use my strawberry oil (and thought I didn't notice!)

Post Thanks / Like

I would give her something with natural essences, not one full of chemicals. Some may not realize that children cannot eliminate some of those chemicals from their bodies the way adults can and some perfume ingredients have been banned from products used on children, like benzophenone-3 sunscreen (used to keep perfume from discoloring.) It never hurts to be careful and nine is pretty young. Jo Malone smells so synthetic, I can't even stand to have it on, but I don't know what the ingredients are.

When I was that age, I had an orange blossom edt from Florida, Pre de Provence makes some pretty ones, i Profumi di Firenze from Florence, Italy, and I think Parfums de Nicolai has one just for children, all found on beautyhabit. 25% coupon code listed in discount section of this board, good until the end of Nov. They have a sample program, six for $12, minus the discount would be $9, no extra shipping charges.

Stella is one found in dept stores that uses natural fragrance, she is Paul McCartney's daughter and some of the synthetics were putting her off, so she made her own. I don't know what else is in it or in Gwen's, but I think it would be good to check ingredients labels before giving to a child. In general, I think it is a wonderful idea, just approach it like you would anything for kids.
    Last edited by beachroses; 12th November 2007 at 01:25 PM.

I scent my 4year old daughter's carry-around Blankey with various light scents...She refuses to let me give "him" a bath very often so a little spritz of Apres L'Ondee or Chant D'Aromes refreshes it

She is your daughter, and if you feel she is old enough for a light, low sillage scent then it does not matter what the Peanut Gallery here thinks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think she will love it!!! OMG she will probably be so excited to get her first set for her own. I was so excited when my Moms got me my first department store frag. Honey, I thought I was something then LOL!! I've been dipping in my Moms perfume since I can remember. I don't think you are ever too young to feel pretty. These are things she will remember for a life time.

Unfortunately in this day and time the frags don't stay on the market long. You would hope that this would become one of her staples that she will replace years from now. You're lucky if a scent stays in production for 3 years. Trust me. She will always remember Daddy getting her that perfume. Most girls that age love it when they get so-called grown-up things. Oh and make sure you get her a little purse size so she will have it to put in her purse. You know how little girls love to have stuff to put in their purse. I can remember just having all kind of stuff in my purse just to have something in my purse LOL!! She'll love it.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

I think this is an excellent idea. Sounds like She has Great self-esteem which is wonderful.
    I was always in my Dads stuff when I was a kid....it always made me feel special to have some of Dads cologne on....She will Love this I'm sure.
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yes, I will add just one more vote for YES!

If I could have been started off that young with smellies I would have been very happy. She'll be the best smelling girl, under 10, there! Wonderful gift idea.