Code of Conduct

Thread: Paestum Rose

Default Paestum Rose

Not sure if the Basenotes crowd is still interested in yet another rose fragrance, but Paestum Rose from Eau d'Italie's notes sound intriguing:

davana, cinnamon, black pepper, pink pepper, coriander, black currant buds, Turkish rose, peony, incense, osmanthus, elemi, tea, papyrus, benzoin, myrrh, opoponax, vetiver, patchouli, cedar, wenge wood, amber and white musk.

It seems to be built around the lush and sweet Turkish rose, with lots of peppery and woody notes. Has anyone tried this? Thumbs up/down? Unisex? Too feminine? Do Rose 31 and Rose Poivree have some competition here?
    Last edited by zztopp; 12th November 2007 at 01:10 AM.
    -

Default Re: Paestum Rose

I found it to be very incense heavy...in fact it smells remarkably similar to Comme Des Garcon's Ouarzazate, but with a rose note added.

Personally, I find it to be absolutely beautiful! Deliciously spicy and the rose is almost foody, it reminds me a little of spiced cider.
    Oh please, if everyone around here is going to start telling the truth, I'm going to bed. - The House of Yes

Basenotes Institution

I have been consciously avoiding this since I really don't need to fall in love with yet another rose scent. Seriously...((putting fingers in my air)), la, la, la.....

Scentemental, if I remember correctly, wears this - but if I remember Basenoters comments on it, it isn't in the same family as the Rose31/Rose Poivree family of rose fragrances. Though I may be wrong.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 12th November 2007 at 02:40 AM.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I happen to have gotten a sample of this last week, and I gave it one wearing so far. Really quite an unusual take on roses, plenty of pepper and spices that make it stand out. One of the best rose scents I've come across so far.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I have been consciously avoiding this since I really don't need to fall in love with yet another rose scent. Seriously...((putting fingers in my air)), la, la, la.....

Scentemental, if I remember correctly, wears this - but if I remember Basenoters comments on it, it isn't in the same family as the Rose31/Rose Poivree family of rose fragrances. Though I may be wrong.
    It definitely falls into that category. Rose isn't really the prodiment note at all, but its definitely there. Its a beautiful scent and definitely worth trying. Sienne L'Hiver is also very nice...similar to Dzonka.

The reviews of Paestum Rose are really helpful as to notes but what about longevity? Thought I'd dust this one off and see if it lasts on ya'all. It's compared by a few reviewers to the CdG incense frags, which makes me nervous since none of them lasts well on me. Except Avignon, which lasts forever, for whatever reason.
    Incense frags are the only ones that my skin seems to eat. Is it that way with anyone else?

Good question. I have tried some rose scents (TDC Rose Poivree, Le Labo Rose 31, Acqua di Parma Colonia - love the smell, hate the lack of longevity - several Montale samples, and just bought some Czeck & Speak 88). If the 88 does not work, then I wanna try the Paestem Rose before I settle for one or two Montales. I kinda liked the Le Labo Rose, but it lacked a bit on the rose part, and the Poivree was too peppery. If they could have mixed the two, might have been the scent. I'll be subscribing to this thread out of curiosity.

Paestum Rose is wonderful. When I wore my sample, it reminded me of Tauer's Incense Rosé, though side-by-side they're quite different. Both however are rose scents in which the rose often seems to be playing a supporting role to incense notes.

Basenotes Institution

More discussion on this thread here: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=205084

Last time I smelled it, I liked it. My rose need are satisfied these days, but I could easily see owning this in the future. The only problem I see with this line is I rarely see a bottle discounted online (never on Ebay!) and there's only one sized bottle. I don't understand why they don't make small bottles.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Mike, Id been keeping up with that thread. Yes, I never see a bottle discounted, but that is okay. Rarely is Tauer discounted either. One US Distributor sees to that, although I think discounts on the other side of the pond are more prevalant.

If Paestum and Tauers RI are incense scents with a bit of rose, well, that is probably a good description of Fumerie Turque, and to be honest, Id not want to venture into that realm, as that would someone diminish the special quality of FT to me. I think it was Two Roads who said it was a boozy rose, and that aspect kinda has me thinking of an Idole for roses, less the spices. Idole was too short-lived on me, like Colonia is, and if I am going to spend north of $75 for a 3.4 ounce bottle, I expect a bit more than what I can get at Macy's.

Anyway, great thread.

I'll chance a new tangent to my addiction to roses...

If anyone has a sample of PR, I have Black Aoud, Rose 31, Incense Rose and C&S88 for swappies!
    top ten: L'Air du Desert Marocain, Black Aoud, Le Labo Rose 31, Bois du Portugal, Incense Rose, Millesime Imperial, Czech & Speake no.88, Terre de Hermes, Musc Ravageur, Nasomatto Duro

Best layers: GIT and TdH, GIT and BA

sample wishlist: Roses Musk

Off-Scenter

I reviewed Paestum Rose just the other day, and I think I described it primarily as a rose and incense composition with a patchouli-rich foundation and plenty of cedar in the drydown. I think of it to some extent as a drier and better balanced take on the Voleur de Roses angle, more polite and more wearble, but not so exciting a rose as, say Black Aoud or Czeck & Speake No. 88.

once again, Vibert says it perfectly.
    I would only add that longevity is very good, like all of the eau d'Italie scents I have tried. As it turns out, I wore this yesterday afternoon/ evening; three sprays (2 chest 1 wrist) and I could still smell the rose and dusty tops after 9pm.
    As far as PM in a roster to include VdR or Rose Poivree... I don't think they even come close. The whole trend of making rose more "masculine" or spicy (or whatever the intent) with the addition of cumin is, in my opinion, played out. On me the cumin invariably overpowers any other facet of the fragrance.

I like it and longevity is excellent. The rose to me appears very upbeat and fruity, virtually the opposite of Caraceni's melancholy vibe or the gothic inclinations of vintage No. 88. Paestum also has none of the hazy-soapyness - more prominent in my perception - of the newer English-made No. 88 and obviously no oud-funk as the Montales. So really it's a necessary complement in my collection of rose perfumes
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I do not like it and longevity is excellent. Rose is certainly a supporting note to other smoky tones of Myrrh and some Asian Black Tea. I do not get the patchouli. IMO it is much more similar to other Eau d'Italie's fragrances than to C&S 88 or Montal fragrances.

If Voleur de Roses captures the Roses as a whole (roots and dirt included), PR is then a cooked (boiled) plant of roses
    Last edited by irish; 3rd September 2008 at 04:00 PM.

Naaaa, have a sample of this , but didn't like it . Didn't move me either. Average at best.

Voleur, C&Speakes no.88 and Black Aoud are waaaay better and even these I didn't wear often or ended up swapping. Caraceni is ok.Maybe rose isn't a note for me
    Last edited by eric; 3rd September 2008 at 04:27 PM.

I just ordered a 1.6ml sample from Lafco NY for 2.50 and am anxious to try it. I like #88 and BA. I'll keep you all posted.
    Last edited by silverbullet; 3rd September 2008 at 05:00 PM.

I ended up liking this better that the Le Labo rose. Le Labo has that cumin which is not exactly spicey, but it gives it an alto-like reference, in that, it makes the scent lean to a highness about it. Paestum Rose has a sort of booziness to it, like a wine sort of background, and it is more whimsical.

Well, I personally remain on my rose search. Le labo barely has any rose. No 88 is old english style. I have all of the above except Voleur and Paestum. Hated Voleur but Paestum remains to be tested.

I am looking forward to new Lyric though.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

I'm working my way through the Eau D'Italie line. They are all well-made and distinctive, IMO. Paestum Rose has a dry dark deep rose, and I think there is oud there. The oud is restrained but is still assertive. The scent must be sampled, I'm sure it would really work differently on each person. I kind of like it, but I am leaning towards others in the line.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I don't see at all the incense or aoud connection in this beautiful juice: to my nose it's all about balms, benzoin, sweet myhrr, thick resins with a touch of dust and spices, revealing a dewy vibrant heart of bulgarian rose and peony as opposite to the base, all incredibly balanced and well blended.

Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher View Post
    Well, I personally remain on my rose search. Le labo barely has any rose. No 88 is old english style. I have all of the above except Voleur and Paestum. Hated Voleur but Paestum remains to be tested.

I am looking forward to new Lyric though.

TNMA
    \
    Have you tested this?

I do get some of the heavy fruitiness but then again, it is a boozy sort of fruit that works well. Does this one have decent longevity? Le Labo was more cumin on me, and some of the other roses are obscured. C&S 88 was the most projection on me and it lasted but it was soapy on me. I like how PR is sort of a bright fun scent, and it contrasts with the Fumerie Turque or the L'Air du Desert I wear. I know it is an Eau de Toilette, but I am not finding much else I like and other than the new Eau d'Italie (baume de doge or something like that), this one works.

we are talking about roses and missing out on TDC Rose Poivree? if "Rose" is what we are looking for. then TDC is the best i have come across (i have sampled, No.88, Black Oudh, Rose 31 & Egoiste). it's starts with a fresh breeze from a dense rose garden(forest?) ..slowly it blooms into life and gradually decays...i was excited about Rose 31..but this one blew it over and over for me. fantastic fragrance with excellent staying power and lovely sillage.
    Last edited by jenson; 8th October 2008 at 10:10 PM.

After a couple of full wearings, I've turned on this. The fruit punch opening simply doesn't subside and this perfume in fact has absolute no development on me. It's just a fruity-sweet-rose pounding me incessantly for twelve hours plus and eventually it drives me crazy, like some person that just won't stop grinning at you with an imbecile smile, hour after hour.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

.......annoying isn't it. A very good description from the good life.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    After a couple of full wearings, I've turned on this. The fruit punch opening simply doesn't subside and this perfume in fact has absolute no development on me. It's just a fruity-sweet-rose pounding me incessantly for twelve hours plus and eventually it drives me crazy, like some person that just won't stop grinning at you with an imbecile smile, hour after hour.
    I have to agree here as well. It sounded perfect, but on my skin it was sweet monotony.

I took a flyer and bought a 'used' bottle and maybe it will pan out. It smells sweet, yes, but not syrupy and it has been better on my skin than a lot of others. It was between this and Idole, and I wnated to give this a chance.

our very own sloan_8013 has written a review about this scent in "Real Men Wear Roses"
    you can read it here: scroll down to find the review:
    http://www.sniffapaloozamagazine.com/
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

I've tested this now and for me, I think its up there with my Big Two: DC and No 88. DC has a lot going on while 88 has the same going on. PR is in the middle for me, though closer to Tauer's Incense Rose than the above mentioned. Ironically, it seems to be fleeting on me which irks me to no end.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)