Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Which the best tobacco scent?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Havana by Aramis

25 26.60%
  • Tabaróme Millésime by Creed

23 24.47%
  • Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

9 9.57%
  • Dreamer by Versace

19 20.21%
  • Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme

22 23.40%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face Best tobacco scent?

I'm 26 and used to wear "Dreamer" and "Dolce & Gabbana", and love tobacco in them. I'm looking for another good scent with tobacco in it, because these two are very popular. Also I add these two to the poll with this thread, because I don't want to settle to something which is not as good!
    What do you think? Any other suggestions?

Default Re: Best tobacco scent?

Very different from the above mentioned and for sure not an easy one for everyday... but what about the onirical interpretation of tobacco in Fumerie Turque?

INWAP

Post Thanks / Like

Creed's Vintage Taberome is great as is Caron's Tabac Blond and don't let the fact that Tabac Blond is listed as feminine here. It's about as feminine as the lion that's stalked to within 10 feet of you and is about to pounce. Not just another kitty.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a great shame that Guerlain's Vetiver is not here: it would have gotten my vote.
    Last edited by Eluard; 12th November 2007 at 10:54 AM.
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Would have voted for either Creed Vintage Taberome or Caron Tabac Blond or SL Fumerie Turque had they been included.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I voted for Creed Tabarome Millesime. It took me a while to "get it", but it's great stuff.

I also have an itch to get a flask of Vintage Tabarome, which I recently started liking-- still, a tiny sample would last me forever, so It would be stupid to get a big jug of it-- plus, the thing that bugs me about the Private Selection Creeds is the lack of atomizers. I don't care for the leather ones. I just wish Creed would produce a run of fragrances like Vintage Tab, Selection Verte, etc in regular glass bottles.

Post Thanks / Like

Tabac Blond is wonderful - I find the tobacco note is more prominent in the EDP (which I own) rather than the extrait, which is rounder and more leathery.

Miller Harris Feuilles de Tabac is also good. It's essentially a masculine scent but a woman could wear it too.

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    Creed's Vintage Taberome is great as is Caron's Tabac Blond and don't let the fact that Tabac Blond is listed as feminine here. It's about as feminine as the lion that's stalked to within 10 feet of you and is about to pounce. Not just another kitty.
    Angelman-
    You read my mind...

Post Thanks / Like

Havana - words don't describe.

Post Thanks / Like

I voted for Havana but my favorite tobacco right now is the previously mentioned Feuilles De Tabac by Miller Harris
    Last edited by mstrocovie; 12th November 2007 at 01:00 PM. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like

I second the Guerlain Vetiver as the ultimate!!

.................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............

Quote Originally Posted by deck89 View Post
    I second the Guerlain Vetiver as the ultimate!!
    Me too.

Post Thanks / Like

My fav is Jasmin & Cigarette.

Post Thanks / Like

Guerlain Vetiver is the tobacco scent standard IMHO.

Santa Maria Novella's Acqua di Cuba is a beauty if one likes deep, dark tobacco mixed with leather. Vintage Tabarome is also wonderful - very full bodied and tenacious.
    Somewhat more whimsical is Demeter's This is Not a Pipe, another fine - but more delicate - play on the tobacco note.

Burberry for Men.

The vintage Tabarome is quite nice, and Dunhill '34 comes across more tobaccoish in my "old age".
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Post Thanks / Like

Czech & Speake CUBA one of the best scents I have tried in a long time. Tobacco is front and center. Great stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

On the poll I was happy to vote for Tabarome Millésime.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Re: Best tobacco scent?

Quote Originally Posted by Eluard View Post
    It's a great shame that Guerlain's Vetiver is not here: it would have gotten my vote.
    As I told in the first post, as a 26 guy, I'm looking to add some tobacco scent to my wardrobe. I don't consider the results here as the "BEST TOBACCO SCENT" ever made. Because Obviously as a new comer in the world of perfumes I'm not acquainted with lots of perfumes. Oh...there is so rough people here in Basenotes!

Post Thanks / Like

I have tried most of the famous tobacco fragrances and quite enjoy Tabarome Millesime, SMN Cuba, Czech & Speake Cuba and MH Feuilles de Tabac. I am not a big fan of Havana though.

With that said, my favorite tobacco fragrance is Vintage Tabarome...its incredible mix of the highest quality tobacco note, green tea and leather is irresistible...I own a perfectly aged flacon of this super juice in which the full bodied potency of the tobacco and leather come through with force. I view the excellent Tabarome Millesime as a Vintage Tabarome Sport, with a different more raw tobacco note and an overall lighter composition which has its own interesting thing going on.
    Last edited by zztopp; 12th November 2007 at 07:50 PM.
    -

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I didn't vote among the ones suggested. There are much better ones IMO. Lots of threads on tobacco recently, so I won't give a list here.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Post Thanks / Like

Miller Harris' Feuilles de Tabac or Tiffany for Men would definitely get my vote.

Post Thanks / Like

Best tobacco scent?

Lusitania by Partagas!

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

smn acqua di cuba
    creed vintage tabarome
    czech & speake cuba
    aramis havana
    creed tabarome millesime
    Last edited by pluran; 16th November 2007 at 02:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Best tobacco scent?

I wish I'd said that!

btw, strangely enough the review page here at BN does not list tobacco as an ingredient in C&Z's Cuba. Don't ask me why.

There are many great frags that use tobacco notes but Vintage Tabarome has it at the core of its theme. The Millesime ain't bad, but who wants to smoke sushi--or ginger?

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Best tobacco scent?

1) Havana, best supporting cast.
    2) Aqua di Cuba, Big, and bold, from top, to bottom.
    3) Cuba, C&S, Perfectly balanced accord's,

I had to go with Tabarome....This is my fave from this bunch. The Tom Ford entry is the only one that I have never experienced.....So from the 4 besides this scent....I have to go with Tabarome.
    Gary

Creed's vintage Tabarome although the Domenico Caraceni is slowly sneaking up my ladder of respect blended to perfection imo.

I can't sleep... Since were's talking about tobacco, how about a funny story about cigars?

At the hotel in which I tend bar, we've been smoke-free for a year. Before that, we had a lot of cigar smokers and even had a nice giant wooden humidor. There was this one guy that we couldn't stand-- he kind of looked like Leon Pannetta and always came in with buy-one-get-one free drink coupons. And he always bought cigars and never tipped on anything. We always referred to him as "Cigar and Cabernet guy." It was funny because we disliked the guy, but he always thought he was our best friend.

We were preparing to go smoke-free, so we were getting rid of our cigars pretty cheaply. Also, the GM came in with a dolly and removed the humidor-- I think he gave it to one of his corporate buddies. About ten minutes after the humidor was wheeled away, Cigar and Cabernet guy came in looking for wine and a cigar. I decided to f*ck with him.

"Aw dude-- you JUST missed it. We got rid of all of our cigars. We were just handing them out for FREE by the handful-- the $24 Montecristos... everything. We just had to get rid of them all."

The guy was getting really agitated by this "news". He was so mad at his bad luck. The other bartender was trying really hard not to laugh, because he had dared me to give this guy the BS story. The guy tried a few times to form a sentence, before finally stammering "...What about me?...I...I'm y-your best customer! Why didn't you t-tell me you were giving everything away?!?'

Then I topped it off with this "Yeah, that's too bad. And also, apparently, they needed to get rid of the humidor in a hurry and there were no takers so some old lady at the bar said she would take it-- and the hotel is actually paying to ship it to her home in Minnesota-- just to get it out of here. It's a pity because she said she doesn't even smoke cigars, but she liked the color of the wood."

The look on the guy's face was priceless and indescribable. What I did was mean but funny. At least after that, every time he came in, he started tipping us and he's actually an OK guy now. Sometimes you've gotta break some eggs etc. LOL.

Last edited by Indie_Guy; 14th November 2007 at 10:36 AM. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by msi_21 View Post
    As I told in the first post, as a 26 guy, I'm looking to add some tobacco scent to my wardrobe. I don't consider the results here as the "BEST TOBACCO SCENT" ever made. Because Obviously as a new comer in the world of perfumes I'm not acquainted with lots of perfumes. Oh...there is so rough people here in Basenotes!
    LOL!

What a sensitive little orchid you are!
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

Post Thanks / Like

The more I read this thread , the more I am compelled to seek out Vintage Tabarome. I have never tried it and sadly so. Do they only sell this in flacons?

Post Thanks / Like

Tobacco is probably one of my favorite notes next to leather and clove. My first experience with tobacco as probably many others was D&G PH. It certainly is too popular but this is a rare instance where the popularity is justified.

Now my first experience with the Dreamer was much different. It was just too weird in the opening and washed it off immediately. Fast forward 2 years and I tried it a second time giving it time to develop. The tobacco morphs into a moist, leafy accord that is really unique and slightly intoxicating. Not as classic or refined as D&G PH but a more surreal, edgier second cousin.

On to Tabarome Millesime which I bought blind. I have to say I was really disappointed in this one. Opening ginger blast is too sharp for my tastes. Then the tobacco in the drydown is just too weak. It needs an "oomph" desperately.

Lastly, I come to Miller Harris FdT. Reminds me a lot of Tabarome which is not a good thing. Again, the tobacco comes across as very weak, like a pipe stuffed with too much cloves and cinnamon to really develop itself.

Yet to try Havana which is on my to-smell list.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

As for judging the best tobacco note, I would have voted Tea for Two but...

..also I would add Parfume d'Empire Fougere' Bengale to that tobacco scent list also. I get MUCH more tobacco than the hint PdE lists in the notes.

So, I voted Aramis Havana and in posting that vote exposing my ash for all to see.
    Last edited by kbe; 16th November 2007 at 02:15 AM.
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Best tobacco scent?

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post

On to Tabarome Millesime which I bought blind. I have to say I was really disappointed in this one. Opening ginger blast is too sharp for my tastes. Then the tobacco in the drydown is just too weak. It needs an "oomph" desperately.
    Tabarome is not succesful in this poll, and your post put it out from my options!
    I've never seen the Vintage tabarome. Also I'm not sure is it better than it's reinterpretation in 2000?

Post Thanks / Like

I've known women like that!

Post Thanks / Like

Havana.

Wanna try Vintage Tab so badly!!!

But from the list Havana trumps them all (I havent tried Tab Millesime)

I like Xerius for having tobaco aspect mixed with many other notes.

And of course, Guerlain Vetiver is superb for any age.

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: Best tobacco scent?

Quote Originally Posted by Boal View Post
    I like Xerius for having tobaco aspect mixed with many other notes.

And of course, Guerlain Vetiver is superb for any age.
    Honestly, do you consider "Guerlain Vetiver" wearable for a 20-something guy?!

Post Thanks / Like

I would question anyone who says it isn't wearable for a 20-something guy. I assure you that the girls wouldn't think that!

When my scentomania began around ten years ago, Guerilain Vetiver was the first sent I distinguished in a store and wanted badly. That was when I had only one other scent and did not know much about fragrances. And that was when I was 20 y.o. Never heard of Guerlain house and was not aware of the hype around Vetiver.

So my answer is yes. At the same time, I can understand people liking something else. But I could never understand when someone thinks that certain scents are deigned for people of certainage only.

I voted for the Dreamer but I'm really liking the TFord fragrance.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Best tobacco scent?

When my scentomania began around ten years ago, Guerilain Vetiver was the first sent I distinguished in a store and wanted badly. That was when I had only one other scent and did not know much about fragrances. And that was when I was 20 y.o. Never heard of Guerlain house and was not aware of the hype around Vetiver.

So my answer is yes. At the same time, I can understand people liking something else. But I could never understand when someone thinks that certain scents are deigned for people of certainage only.
    Thank you for description. I dont think Vetiver is designed for a special age group.
    First of all, in any period perfumers design their perfumes compatible with some special trendy structures. I think this is the reason that you can understand some of scents like "Antaeus" as 80s. Some of perfumes shout about their birth time. I think the edges of Vetiver designed in a very 60s way. This is the main reason that I think it could not be suitable for a 20-something guy.
    And second issue for me, to choose a perfume is that, some of perfumes had been very popular in the past, and they are no longer so popular. Therefore when you use them, generaly people think: "Oh...he smell like early 90s...". It is completely a psychological reaction, but its there. And as a young man I don't like people to think about me in this way.
    I thank you again, I will give "Vetiver" another try. Perhaps it could work for me in the second time!
    Finally a question about Vetiver variations. There is several variations of vetiver in my country. One of them is the newly launched "Extreme" version. What about it?

Post Thanks / Like

... But I could never understand when someone thinks that certain scents are deigned for people of certainage only.
    msi_21 put it very well, but I will state it more simply; I don't want to smell like my father, or like my grandfather did. Certain classic fragrances immediately evoke these memories.

Well, like I said, I did not know what the scent was, it did not remind me of my father or anything, I just liked it.
    Plus, sometimes father do smell good. In any case, I would not avoid Chanels, Guerlains, and Diors so that I don't smell like someone's dad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux View Post
    I voted for the Dreamer but I'm really liking the TFord fragrance.
    Price aside, do you think Dreamer is more beautiful than TFord's creation?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstrocovie View Post
    I voted for Havana but my favorite tobacco right now is the previously mentioned Feuilles De Tabac by Miller Harris
    Ditto the above sentiment.

Just thought I would mention that The Perfumed Court is having a sale on Vintage Tabarome decants. At least the price is now in the reasonable range. I think it would come to $24.00 for an 8ml decant, including shipping.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite tobacco scent to sniff is Vintage Tabarome, but it's just too hard for me to wear on a regular basis; I find it too powerful and sophisticated. Havana is my favorite tobacco scent to wear because it's natural and doesn't make you smell like a cigar IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to this thread, I spent some time today trying to hunt down Caron Tabac Blond; I was completely unsuccessful. Is this supposed to be hard to find?

Several of the high-end department stores had Caron, but not one had TB.

Also, is Vintage Tabarome actually labeled as such? Neiman Marcus had Tabarome Millesime and one just labeled Tabarome; is the latter the Vintage? It was in a glass bottle much the same shape as the other Creeds.

Thanks for all the expertise!
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Dolce & Gabbana is the best tobacco scent IMO, especially when we are young. I also love Guerlain's Vetiver, too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zatarain View Post
    Thanks to this thread, I spent some time today trying to hunt down Caron Tabac Blond; I was completely unsuccessful. Is this supposed to be hard to find?

Several of the high-end department stores had Caron, but not one had TB.

Also, is Vintage Tabarome actually labeled as such? Neiman Marcus had Tabarome Millesime and one just labeled Tabarome; is the latter the Vintage? It was in a glass bottle much the same shape as the other Creeds.

Thanks for all the expertise!
    As mentioned in Caron site (http://www.parfumscaron.com) it not available everywhere.
    Also I've seen "Vintage Tabarome" on net, its not available in my country. Here is only the "Tabarome Millesime". I don't know is there any similarity between these two scents from creed?

Post Thanks / Like

As mentioned in Caron site (http://www.parfumscaron.com) it not available everywhere.
    Also I've seen "Vintage Tabarome" on net, its not available in my country. Here is only the "Tabarome Millesime". I don't know is there any similarity between these two scents from creed?
    The Milliseme is an "updated" version, meant to be more modern, as I understand it; I think zztopp and Mario describe it fairly well:

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post

With that said, my favorite tobacco fragrance is Vintage Tabarome...its incredible mix of the highest quality tobacco note, green tea and leather is irresistible...I own a perfectly aged flacon of this super juice in which the full bodied potency of the tobacco and leather come through with force. I view the excellent Tabarome Millesime as a Vintage Tabarome Sport, with a different more raw tobacco note and an overall lighter composition which has its own interesting thing going on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario Justiniani View Post

There are many great frags that use tobacco notes but Vintage Tabarome has it at the core of its theme. The Millesime ain't bad, but who wants to smoke sushi--or ginger?

Cheers,

Mario
    I agree that the ginger is prominent in the Millesime edition, and the tobacco more reserved.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Post Thanks / Like

Amazingly Havana is the winner of this poll to the point.
    I've tried it yesterday. It's very spicy. It is reminiscent of the spices cabinet in my grand mother's kitchen! Although its a nice blend of tobacco and spices, it would not work here in my country!

Post Thanks / Like

It is no surprise that Havana is leading the survey. I suspect that if more here had tried it, considering its rarity, that it would be the runaway winner. It is clearly in a class by itself, not just as a tobacco scent, but as a men's frag in general. The problem with most polls is that not all the frags have been tried, particularly the hard-to-find ones.

Hi!

This is probably not too well known in the US, but did you guy try out "Alt Innsbruck"? Contents: only alcohol, water, tobacco oil and menthol. (made this pic).

It's not too smokey though, it's rather fresh. I totally like that, especially using it as aftershave.

Regards,

Larde.
    I'll make you a deal
    I'll say I came from Earth and my tongue is taped

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Larde View Post
    Hi!

This is probably not too well known in the US, but did you guy try out "Alt Innsbruck"? Contents: only alcohol, water, tobacco oil and menthol. (made this pic).

It's not too smokey though, it's rather fresh. I totally like that, especially using it as aftershave.

Regards,

Larde.
    Dear Larde, Welcome to basenotes!
    I didn't get the picture, is the liquid in a plastic?!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    I voted for Creed Tabarome Millesime. It took me a while to "get it", but it's great stuff.

I also have an itch to get a flask of Vintage Tabarome, which I recently started liking-- still, a tiny sample would last me forever, so It would be stupid to get a big jug of it-- plus, the thing that bugs me about the Private Selection Creeds is the lack of atomizers. I don't care for the leather ones. I just wish Creed would produce a run of fragrances like Vintage Tab, Selection Verte, etc in regular glass bottles.
    No doubt, it's a rip-off to have to get an atomizer as well, but I picked up the 250ml
    jug of vintage tabarome along with the atomizer from Bond No. 9 when they were
    liquidating their stock at 1/2 price. This fragrance is strong, old school, strong, rich,
    and did I mention strong? Very nice, but not for every occasion. I like it though!
    --------------------------------------
    Tab. Millesime is good. Vintage Tab. is even better.
    Last edited by trumpet_guy; 22nd November 2007 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost