Code of Conduct

Thread: Cuba Cigars

Default Cuba Cigars

Today I came across a pack of 4 big Cuba Cigars containing 35ml of EDT per cigar, for the princely sum of A$20.

Thus at A$5 each, I couldn't resist so I bought it. The pack contained a woody scent, and ambery fougere scent, a musky oriental scent and an aquatic scent. They're nothing ultra sophisticated, but smell pretty good all the same.

It would make a good starter pack for any newbie in my opinion.

Any thoughts on these Cuba Cigar scents? Like them? Detest them?
    Renato

Default Re: Cuba Cigars

I've owned Cuba Gold on some good reviews. It's a powdery vanilla scent and very pleasant. Some people say it smells like Le Male but I don't get the hook/whirl effect from it.

Quote Originally Posted by lasta View Post
    I've owned Cuba Gold on some good reviews. It's a powdery vanilla scent and very pleasant. Some people say it smells like Le Male but I don't get the hook/whirl effect from it.
    The reviews at the Directory are full of descriptions labelling it a Le Male copy. A sweet oriental it is, but I wouldn't call it a Le Male copy either.

I've just checked the store's site on the four pack I bought, and it gives some descriptions:

Cuba Gold enjoys the essences of bergamot, vetiver and lavender. Cedarwood and sandalwood add a sensual, woody undertone to this exclusive all round scent (So how come I smell an oriental?)

Cuba Blue explores cool notes of lavender, jasmine, cedar, sandalwood and musk (so what gives it the aquatic odor?)

Cuba Red contains elements of amber notes and spicy bases (smells woody to me).

Cuba Orange - no description (smells like an ambery fougere to me).
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 12th November 2007 at 03:19 PM.

I only tried Cuba Gold and the powdery thick vanilla reminded Le Male. But they're different enough to consider a copy. Well, I didn't like it... Cloying in hot weather and seemed "too much" for me (and everybody here seems to wear it!! Argh!)

Quote Originally Posted by RCavs View Post
    I only tried Cuba Gold and the powdery thick vanilla reminded Le Male. But they're different enough to consider a copy. Well, I didn't like it... Cloying in hot weather and seemed "too much" for me (and everybody here seems to wear it!! Argh!)
    That's probably why it didn't remind me of Le Male, as it is lacking any fresh note to make it okay for hot weather. Rather it reminds me of a toned down version of Ulric De Varen's Absolute Musk.
    Renato

Sorry, but I've never smelled the "Cuba(cigars)" fragrances but I can tell you they do not smell like a real Cuban cigar....... Probably don't taste like one either...

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

The Gold, Grey and Brown are all great frags for the price -- the Gold and Grey especially.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Lightninrod View Post
    Sorry, but I've never smelled the "Cuba(cigars)" fragrances but I can tell you they do not smell like a real Cuban cigar....... Probably don't taste like one either...

Dan
    Actually it is a bit disappointing - the way none of my five Cuba Cigar scents (I have the Black one as well) have any pronounced tobacco note.
    Renato
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    The Gold, Grey and Brown are all great frags for the price -- the Gold and Grey especially.
    That's ineteresting. I'll keep a lookout for the Grey and Brown.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 13th November 2007 at 02:43 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    In total agreance with TVLB
    I recently got Gold and its absolutely incredible .... price plays no part in this ones quality . I'll be getting myself more of the Cuba's . .. and more on Cubas frags later .
    Anybody else tried any lately ?

im strapped for cash so i was looking into this bargain fragrance. is the tobacco/cigar note extremely evident? i rememered i took quick whif of gold because i was just curious due to the price and i initially smelled a cigar...does this carry on over into the drydown and basenotes? I'll prolly go back and buy both blue and gold because thats all i can find in the stores near here and they are 2 for $8, not a bad deal.

As a teen I used to use one of those Cigar frags, can't really remember which one was that.

It was...... ok

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    Anybody else tried any lately ?
    Let me get back to you on that

Quote Originally Posted by ruzon View Post
    im strapped for cash so i was looking into this bargain fragrance. is the tobacco/cigar note extremely evident? i rememered i took quick whif of gold because i was just curious due to the price and i initially smelled a cigar...does this carry on over into the drydown and basenotes? I'll prolly go back and buy both blue and gold because thats all i can find in the stores near here and they are 2 for $8, not a bad deal.
    Hey - that's cheaper than what I paid for mine!
    That's a great deal. I've seen them selling for 13 to $18 each.
    Renato

renato you seem to quite experienced with this line, is the smoking vibe very evident? i dont want to come off as a smoker if im gonna be putting this on early in the day!

EDIT: the price of 2 for 8 dollars is each at 1.7 oz, not the larger bottle. however i guess together its 3.4 oz and still a good deal
    Last edited by ruzon; 19th August 2008 at 12:20 AM.

Gold Reminds me of le Male with some of the heavier cloying / toothpaste notes taken out, slightly layered with D&G pour homme. Cuba blacks nice and reminds me of something, although i cant quite figure out what.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Cuba Red is the most tobacco heavy of the ones I've smelled.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Ok Dudes ...
    Its me the reviver of this thread from the depths of obscurity beyond the 20th page !
    Cuba Gold which is more than likely the same juice as Cuba Gold "Special Edition" has a very very light aroma of Cigar and as Anthony above and others have said an alternate or perhaps better Le Male .... as Cuba's doesn't cloy at all ! ... it teases me into deep sniffathons
    I agree with Simon Moon & others who have mentioned that Red is the strongest in the tobbacco department .... I'll be getting this one blind soon .
    SirSlarty & Anthony ... you both have the Magnum & Special Edition .
    As you get a few more full wearings ,, report back please . I really like to hear your opinions .
    I own the Special Edition Gold and its incredible because of its distinct facets it goes thru as it dries down ...
    I also own "Magnum Black" which at this stage we must treat as the same as the standard Black .... it has a dark orange woody aura about it , that at this stage best describes it for me , definately not bright or zesty but a cooler type of frag .
    Both in my books are 4/5 .....
    cheers guys

Cool Re: Cuba Cigars

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Moon View Post
    Cuba Red is the most tobacco heavy of the ones I've smelled.
    And the only one I liked days after buying it, the gold smelled like Le Male on diabetes to me. Still, I can live without the red, it's a fun el cheapo like Ferrari Black, but life's too short when there's Vintage Tabarome or Cuba by Czech and Speke.

I prefer to save my pennies and indulge in the best, though it is a (forgive the word) cute gift.

Unlike, say bringing a $2 bottle of Charles Shaw Merlot to a birthday party, whereupon the hostess might get the wrong (or right) idea about how much you value her.

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Did you buy a Gold along with the Red one Mario ?

renato you seem to quite experienced with this line, is the smoking vibe very evident? i dont want to come off as a smoker if im gonna be putting this on early in the day!

EDIT: the price of 2 for 8 dollars is each at 1.7 oz, not the larger bottle. however i guess together its 3.4 oz and still a good deal
    If you wear tobacco scents - be it D&G Homme, Herrera for Men, Dreamer, Knize Ten etc - you never smell like a smoker, because they smell of burnt tobacco, whereas the tobacco in the scents is like the nice smell in a package of pipe or roll-your-own tobacco - which at the end of the day is just another herbal smell.

I don't think Gold overdoes the tobacco.

Are you sure they're 50ml? The standard cigar bottle is usually 35mm.
    Renato

yes my mistake i meant 1.17, not 1.7, sorry about the confusion. Well i'll be going to the store and buying blue/gold today because thats the only flavors they offer,even tho i really wish i culd get some black for cheap. i think ill also stop at the local tj maxx to check if they got any actually expensive colognes for 10-20 as ive heard they usually do. thanks for the help.

I'm a big fan of Cuba Orange, which is a teak scent. Cuba Red is okay for once in a while. Blue, Black, and Gold are okay but not "rotation worthy" for me.

yes my mistake i meant 1.17, not 1.7, sorry about the confusion. Well i'll be going to the store and buying blue/gold today because thats the only flavors they offer,even tho i really wish i culd get some black for cheap. i think ill also stop at the local tj maxx to check if they got any actually expensive colognes for 10-20 as ive heard they usually do. thanks for the help.
    You have Tj Maxx store in Abu Dhabi?
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 19th August 2008 at 10:57 PM.

I dunno, I smelled them and almost puked...something about them, i couldn't stand >.<

Well, the 5 I tried are very different. Blue is basically unisex, apparently a clone of a CK frag. Gold seems to be a Le Male clone, whereas Red is a Burberry London clone. Orange is somewhat similar to Dunhill Desire, except that it's not as strong or as sweet. I don't know what Black is a clone of, if it is a clone, but I found the longevity to be poor on my skin and I knew I wouldn't wear it very often so I was willing to swap or sell it.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 20th August 2008 at 06:20 PM.