Code of Conduct

Default 29 year old juice that smells like new

I was lucky enough to get a vintage bottle of Guerlain's Chamade EdT 96 ml for just 37 €. The current version of Chamade has an unpleasantly bitter top note (of vetiver?) that actually smells like sweat! The original composition mixes black current with hyacinth to give a creamy impression of new-mown hay on a burning hot summer day at the countryside.

I was of course a bit worried if this vintage bottle might had gone bad. When I got it and opened the box, there was an inlay about the 'new atomiser spray' dated 10/78 - which must mean October 1978: http://a710.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...bbed5b0c35.jpg. This means that the juice is 29 years old!

What was so pleasantly surprising to learn was that the juice was perfectly intact! I mean, I've got some older bottles of Vetiver and Derby where the top notes are just slightly out of tune, but this bottle is just creamy, citrusy perfection! (And so much better than the current edition of Chamade.)

Well, just to tell you folks that an EdT can be 29 years old and still smell like the skin of a new born baby!

Default Re: 29 year old juice that smells like new

Wonderful! What to say then aside share the fun?
    Last edited by Magnifiscent; 12th November 2007 at 05:01 PM.

The smell of quality.

It's also about the composition - some oils, like vetiver, or aoud, get more potent, and "better" with age. Others like fruits and berries, turn rancid with time. So if a fragrance is composed of elements that get better with time, it's be perfect after 100 years!
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sa Majesté La Rose

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    It's also about the composition - some oils, like vetiver, or aoud, get more potent, and "better" with age. Others like fruits and berries, turn rancid with time. So if a fragrance is composed of elements that get better with time, it's be perfect after 100 years!
    Interesting. What is strange is that Chamade contains Blackcurrant bud...? And my vintage Vetiver (which is actually younger than this Chamade) has gone slightly out of tune (and it was also boxed).

The Chamade was kept by an old lady in the back of a closet, and perhaps the Vetiver had got some heat or something. Anyway, it's kind of new to me to discover just how long a fragrance can be kept so well! It reminds me of wines...

Chamade was indeed a wonderful scent - one of Jean-Paul's best. I loved the hyacinth note in this fragrance. I have heard that the reformulated version is not as good so I think I will just stay with my memories.
    Have you smelled the vintage Chant d'Aromes? My mother had a bottle of the bath oil and a couple of drops in a warm bath transformed the room into heaven Unfortunately Guerlain has decided to keep this available only in a dumbed-down and weak eau de toilette. The original parfum was magnificent.
    I recently got a sample of vintage Sous le Vent and it was wonderful - so strong and so green. It could be great scent for either a man or woman.
    I hope you keep finding great bottles of vintage Guerlain.!

Quote Originally Posted by opalsdad View Post
    Chamade was indeed a wonderful scent - one of Jean-Paul's best. I loved the hyacinth note in this fragrance. I have heard that the reformulated version is not as good so I think I will just stay with my memories.
    Have you smelled the vintage Chant d'Aromes? My mother had a bottle of the bath oil and a couple of drops in a warm bath transformed the room into heaven Unfortunately Guerlain has decided to keep this available only in a dumbed-down and weak eau de toilette. The original parfum was magnificent.
    I recently got a sample of vintage Sous le Vent and it was wonderful - so strong and so green. It could be great scent for either a man or woman.
    I hope you keep finding great bottles of vintage Guerlain.!
    The new Chamade IS really different, much less creamy. I really don't think they reformulated it to make it cheaper or anything, I just think they thought they had to 'freshen' it up with some new top notes. But the old one IS better.

I haven't smelled vintage Chant d'Aromes or Sous le Vent, only the new edition. New Chant d'Aromes is not fantastic, but the Sous le Vent is amazing. Would love to smell the vintage version though...

Generally I'm not a vintage-'fanatic'. For instance the new Derby is absolutely gorgeous!!

Just viewed your collection and it is amazing. I am so glad you have the original bottle of Derby - what a beautiful flacon! I agree that Guerlain is still producing top quality fragrances; it is just that they are very difficult to obtain. For instance I sniffed Habit Rouge Eau de Parfum in Paris and it is, indeed, wonderful - still recognizable as HB but the agarwood gives it an unusual twist. However, it is unobtainable in Canada and probably all of North America.
    If memory serves me the first bottle of Vetiver I saw was very strong and intense and the bottle was somewhat circular and covered in green plastic. The next edition was an eau de cologne and it was somewhat lighter - similar to the current eau de toilette. The next was the eau de toilette version which lasted up until the introduction of the latest bottle. At least that is what we got in Canada. Habit Rouge followed the same pattern with the first bottle covered in burgundy plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by opalsdad View Post
    Just viewed your collection and it is amazing. I am so glad you have the original bottle of Derby - what a beautiful flacon! I agree that Guerlain is still producing top quality fragrances; it is just that they are very difficult to obtain. For instance I sniffed Habit Rouge Eau de Parfum in Paris and it is, indeed, wonderful - still recognizable as HB but the agarwood gives it an unusual twist. However, it is unobtainable in Canada and probably all of North America.
    If memory serves me the first bottle of Vetiver I saw was very strong and intense and the bottle was somewhat circular and covered in green plastic. The next edition was an eau de cologne and it was somewhat lighter - similar to the current eau de toilette. The next was the eau de toilette version which lasted up until the introduction of the latest bottle. At least that is what we got in Canada. Habit Rouge followed the same pattern with the first bottle covered in burgundy plastic.
    Thanks for those nice words! Well my Guerlain collection is the children I didn't get, so any compliment is welcome :-) You are SO right the Guerlain's are all difficult to get. Here in Copenhangen, Denmark, you can't have any of them except the most common. I'm so happy about the internet!

Yes the agarwood in the Habit Rouge EdP is really special - but I think that it will end up tire me a bit if I use it too much. It's too 'aggressively modern' perhaps, reminds me of M7 or Gucci pour Homme (though it's papyrus in the latter). But yes, it's well spotted by Jean-Paul Guerlain that you can add agarwood and end up with a very recognisable Habit Rouge, but just a so much more formal 'evening-dress' version of its crazy/silly forest-hunting little brother.

I saw those plastic bottles of Vetiver/Habit Rouge too: http://i21.ebayimg.com/02/i/04/c8/0f/eb_1_b.JPG - but they are for the EdC. I'm ashamed to admit that I have never-ever smelled the EdC version of either. Which is odd since I find the EdC version of both Shalimar, Vol de Nuit and Jicky to be superior to any other concentration. So next plan for me will be to get some vintage EdC of Vetiver and Habit Rouge!

That's awesome about the vintage juice, but I have to ask... What's with you and Guerlain?
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Quote Originally Posted by _R$_ View Post
    I have to ask... What's with you and Guerlain?
    - Rich
    Hi Rich. Well, that's a good question. I know that some people here find me very narrow minded and limited in my view of fragrances. And they are right. I'm not really a fragrance-lover, but a Guerlain-lover.

Then why Guerlain? Without rolling out my entire life story, I can just say that I lived in an obnoxious little town in Denmark, Scandinavia, and then moved directly to Paris when I was 20. My first real love was French and gave me a bottle of Habit Rouge. I think something weird happened in my brain at that moment. My mind simply but an equation between Habit Rouge and love. When I then started to read about Guerlain pre-HMLV, my love expanded to the whole Guerlain-family. I don't know any of them personally of course, but I can just sit for hours with one of these books and look admiringly at the historical bottles, scents, events and family photos.

I can browse and smell a whole department store's range of perfumes and think 'Nah...' simply because it's not Guerlain. I know it's extremely ignorant. But as Jean-Paul Guerlain once said: perfumes are about evoking emotions, and that's what these perfumes do to me.

I really hope no-one here gets too tired of seing my eternal posts about Guerlain. If so, just shrug your shoulders. I've found some really really nice people on this forum to talk about all this too and it just makes me glad. I really don't think the Internet can be overrated.

Was that a reply...?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guerlain View Post
    Thanks for those nice words! Well my Guerlain collection is the children I didn't get, so any compliment is welcome :-) You are SO right the Guerlain's are all difficult to get. Here in Copenhangen, Denmark, you can't have any of them except the most common. I'm so happy about the internet!

Yes the agarwood in the Habit Rouge EdP is really special - but I think that it will end up tire me a bit if I use it too much. It's too 'aggressively modern' perhaps, reminds me of M7 or Gucci pour Homme (though it's papyrus in the latter). But yes, it's well spotted by Jean-Paul Guerlain that you can add agarwood and end up with a very recognisable Habit Rouge, but just a so much more formal 'evening-dress' version of its crazy/silly forest-hunting little brother.

I saw those plastic bottles of Vetiver/Habit Rouge too: http://i21.ebayimg.com/02/i/04/c8/0f/eb_1_b.JPG - but they are for the EdC. I'm ashamed to admit that I have never-ever smelled the EdC version of either. Which is odd since I find the EdC version of both Shalimar, Vol de Nuit and Jicky to be superior to any other concentration. So next plan for me will be to get some vintage EdC of Vetiver and Habit Rouge!

I ordered Habit Rouge EDC,yesterday (along with Imperiale and L'Heure Bleue).

I'm very much looking forward to all of them arriving,HR in particular. The EDC is the formulation that I have the least experience with.

Quote Originally Posted by Latch35 View Post
    I ordered Habit Rouge EDC,yesterday (along with Imperiale and L'Heure Bleue).

I'm very much looking forward to all of them arriving,HR in particular. The EDC is the formulation that I have the least experience with.
    Is it new or vintage HR EdC? I've heard the old one is more 'dry'...

A new creation.

I was attracted by more spice in it. It is also supposed to be nearer to the original formulation than the current EDT.

Quote Originally Posted by Latch35 View Post
    A new creation.

I was attracted by more spice in it. It is also supposed to be nearer to the original formulation than the current EDT.
    I must soon try the EdC of both HR and Vetiver!

Was that a reply...?
    :toppie:
    Actually, yes! I've known some people on these boards to be so loyal to Serge Lutens that they'd follow him of a cliff, for no reason whatsoever. You really don't seem to be that way, you actually have a genuine reason for being so Guerlain. Props!
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Quote Originally Posted by _R$_ View Post
    Actually, yes! I've known some people on these boards to be so loyal to Serge Lutens that they'd follow him of a cliff, for no reason whatsoever. You really don't seem to be that way, you actually have a genuine reason for being so Guerlain. Props!
    - Rich
    Well I guess that most people here have their more or less reasonable 'reasons'. But surely, if that person I was in love with had offered me a bottle of Old Spice, I'm sure my brain wouldn't have made this equation of love. Nevertheless, I wouldnt' follow Jean-Paul Guerlain of a cliff - but I'd be sad to read about him doing so!

Again: thanks for bearing over with my ignorance. And thanks for discussing Guerlain with me.

Hi Rich. Well, that's a good question. I know that some people here find me very narrow minded and limited in my view of fragrances. And they are right. I'm not really a fragrance-lover, but a Guerlain-lover.

Then why Guerlain? Without rolling out my entire life story, I can just say that I lived in an obnoxious little town in Denmark, Scandinavia, and then moved directly to Paris when I was 20. My first real love was French and gave me a bottle of Habit Rouge. I think something weird happened in my brain at that moment. My mind simply but an equation between Habit Rouge and love. When I then started to read about Guerlain pre-HMLV, my love expanded to the whole Guerlain-family. I don't know any of them personally of course, but I can just sit for hours with one of these books and look admiringly at the historical bottles, scents, events and family photos.

I can browse and smell a whole department store's range of perfumes and think 'Nah...' simply because it's not Guerlain. I know it's extremely ignorant. But as Jean-Paul Guerlain once said: perfumes are about evoking emotions, and that's what these perfumes do to me.

I really hope no-one here gets too tired of seing my eternal posts about Guerlain. If so, just shrug your shoulders. I've found some really really nice people on this forum to talk about all this too and it just makes me glad. I really don't think the Internet can be overrated.

Was that a reply...?
    This is such a lovely, warm-hearted reply that it makes me, also, very glad that there's an internet. Please talk about Guerlain as much as you like: passion is contagious.

(Oh and you should do a search for the Seven Days Gorging on Guerlains thread (or whatever it was called) on the Women's forum. An entire week of nothing but hommages to Guerlain. It is here

Glorious Guerlains

)
    Last edited by Eluard; 13th November 2007 at 12:18 PM.
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

Quote Originally Posted by Eluard View Post
    This is such a lovely, warm-hearted reply that it makes me, also, very glad that there's an internet. Please talk about Guerlain as much as you like: passion is contagious.

(Oh and you should do a search for the Seven Days Gorging on Guerlains thread (or whatever it was called) on the Women's forum. An entire weak of nothing but hommages to Guerlain. It is here Glorious Guerlains)
    Hi Eluard, THANKS for those words! You are really right, BN has shown me that: passion is contagious. I hadn't really seen that thread before, so thanks for the link. My boss won't be happy though - I'm sitting at my office and should work, not browse an entire Guerlain-thread (but yes, it's my Guerlain-loving male boss, so he'll probably forgive me...)

--------------------------------
    Edit: Oh yes, NOW I remember, I have seen this thread - I admired your Heritage-box a lot! I've seen it on ebay several times, but it's just too expensive for me, and where to put it anyway? Gosh it's lovely though - does it smell nicely of cedar, I mean the box?

Hi Eluard, THANKS for those words! You are really right, BN has shown me that: passion is contagious. I hadn't really seen that thread before, so thanks for the link. My boss won't be happy though - I'm sitting at my office and should work, not browse an entire Guerlain-thread (but yes, it's my Guerlain-loving male boss, so he'll probably forgive me...)

--------------------------------
    Edit: Oh yes, NOW I remember, I have seen this thread - I admired your Heritage-box a lot! I've seen it on ebay several times, but it's just too expensive for me, and where to put it anyway? Gosh it's lovely though - does it smell nicely of cedar, I mean the box?
    Thanks, so much! Mildly of cedar, I'd say, because it is varnished. But the Heritage that is in the box is also excellent: it is a first release of the fragrance and it smells wonderful. Very pure. And the bottle is signed, which is a nice touch. But there are other treasures in that thread too, from others. It's a pity you hadn't joined then, you could have contributed wonderfully.
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

I was reading your page at MySpace, I was enjoying a lot while reading, and I must say wow what a collection you have!

Quote Originally Posted by Ascella View Post
    I was reading your page at MySpace, I was enjoying a lot while reading, and I must say wow what a collection you have!
    Thanks Ascella! I treasure it too, but - as most Basenoters - I tend to never be satisfied. Whenever I see some rare treasure, I feel I can't live without it. It's so silly as I already have enough for a whole lifetime... ;-)
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Eluard View Post
    Thanks, so much! Mildly of cedar, I'd say, because it is varnished. But the Heritage that is in the box is also excellent: it is a first release of the fragrance and it smells wonderful. Very pure. And the bottle is signed, which is a nice touch. But there are other treasures in that thread too, from others. It's a pity you hadn't joined then, you could have contributed wonderfully.
    Oh yes, I came in here too late for that...
    Last edited by Mr. G; 13th November 2007 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost