Code of Conduct

Smile DIY Fragrance project

Hello everyone,
    My name is James and as some of you know, I created a scent under the theme of "piratey scent". Well , the time of year is approaching where my time outdoors will once again be limited. So I will be at the organ again with all my smelly things. What I am asking for is input from all here on a theme/ direction or concept for a fragrance. I want it to be original and I want some brainstorming from the DIY community.

Thanks in advance,
    James

Default Re: DIY Fragrance project

What an idea! This may be way off of anything you would want to create, but I have been pondering doing a scent based on Peter Pan/Finding Neverland (the Depp movie). The scent of 19th century english gardens, moonlight, wild boys and a sprinkle of fairy dust...
    Cece

How about an ultra-masculine scent?

Quote Originally Posted by CeCe View Post
    What an idea! This may be way off of anything you would want to create, but I have been pondering doing a scent based on Peter Pan/Finding Neverland (the Depp movie). The scent of 19th century english gardens, moonlight, wild boys and a sprinkle of fairy dust...
    Cece
    I did a quick look see on English garden florals and found some interesting ones like sweet rocket. So, an English garden scent would be possible......... but Pan and fairy dust............ I dunno. Thanks for the idea, it is noted not forgotten.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by yepyep View Post
    How about an ultra-masculine scent?
    Talk to me.........How ultra? Primal urges unrestrained ultra?
    Last edited by mstrocovie; 14th November 2007 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by mstrocovie View Post
    I did a quick look see on English garden florals and found some interesting ones like sweet rocket. So, an English garden scent would be possible......... but Pan and fairy dust............ I dunno. Thanks for the idea, it is noted not forgotten.

Talk to me.........How ultra? Primal urges unrestrained ultra?
    Yeah, let the beast out! That's one way to go. What I was suggesting was to use all of the masculine notes in one scent: Vetiver, Geranium, Leather, Pine, Musk, Moss, etc.

Ok, let's try the "ultra man" fragrance. You'll get the first nose hair singe sample yepyep.
    Ok, I started on a base accord today. Here it is:

Moss, labdanum, sandal, vanilla and a touch of castoreum----- at first sniff, it is smelling like a smooth,smokey leather. Time to let it sit.
    Last edited by mstrocovie; 15th November 2007 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Awesome!!! And it sounds great already!
    Last edited by yepyep; 15th November 2007 at 08:51 PM.

Added Hay absolute, patchouli to the base. Went with Vetiver ,geranium, Kanzalak Rose, Jasmine, spruce and cinnamon in the heart. Smelling very interesting and quite potent.

It sounding very good! It's coming along nicely!

Have some top notes lined up.....what do ya think of these:
    Petitgrain, Coriander, Holy basil, Clary sage and Lavender

They sound great! I love those notes, especially petitgrain. Actually, I love all those notes!

Hey yepyep,
    Since you are the only one contributing here, I'll speak directly to you...lol. While the first mix ages, I decided to start another except this one I left out the castoreum and vanilla and labdanum and used a spicy diffusive synthetic musk and upped the hay abs in the base. Used rose geranium , jasmine sambac, cinnamon, coriander in the heart and so far just lavender and bergamot in the top notes.I was thinking of adding kanzalak rose to smooth out the geranium and perhaps some herbal is needed in the top notes. What say you or anyone else?

How is the fragrance working out? What did you decide to add to the top notes? Is it recreating the ultra masculine vibe you were aiming at? I know, lots of questions, but I was following along and can't wait to hear about the final result.
    Cece

Update: After letting it sit for 2 days, I went ahead and diluted it. I found that the base note was not as pronounced as I would like it, so I strengthened it a bit. My first impression is that it is nice and "classic" smelling. Samples are forthcoming in a week or two.

Sounds great... thought of a name?

So from your description, it sounds like you created a scent for “proper” gentlemen - with a wonderfully "improper" soul.
    From your description I imagine this opening with a classic and proper first impression because of the lavender and bergamot; then the heart notes begin to twist spice with the exotic and narcotic Jasmine Sambac to add depth and more mystery; finally the base of musk ups the male sex appeal and adds a bit of darkness. I can think of many men who would love a scent that would capture their masculine spirit like that.
    What do you think you'll name it?
    Cece

Very nice description of the 2nd scent that I started CeCe. I gotta boost up the top notes and add a little more spice to the heart notes on this one. It is very nice though. The one I diluted already is the first "ultra man" scent and as of today it kinda reminds me of a spicier Jicky or something along those lines. As far as a name, I'm open for any and all suggestions. Thanks ladies

Very nice description of the 2nd scent that I started CeCe. I gotta boost up the top notes and add a little more spice to the heart notes on this one. It is very nice though. The one I diluted already is the first "ultra man" scent and as of today it kinda reminds me of a spicier Jicky or something along those lines. As far as a name, I'm open for any and all suggestions. Thanks ladies
    yepyep here, under a different account (my password for yepyep is a random number that I copy and paste, but I'm not at my computer right now). Everything sounds great! It sounds very nice and I can't wait to smell it. Just awesome.
    As far as a name, how about "Très Masculin"?
    Last edited by smithmcgee32; 22nd November 2007 at 02:30 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Okay, I'm back from Thanksgiving. I hope you had a good one!

I did, I did.....and you? I ordered some 2ml sprayers today and as soon as I receive them, I will mail out a sample to you.

I'm glad you had a good Thanksgiving. I had a good one too. I can't wait to get the sample!

After sitting for a couple of days the first mix was a little ambiguously masculine, so I added some things to beef it up. Here is the melange of notes:

Top--- Lavender, bergamot, petitgrain, clary, basil, coriander and cumin--spicy little monkey
    Middies---- Vetiver, geranium, Bulgarian rose, jasmine sambac, spruce, cinnamon and clove----my eyes, my eyes....just kidding

Base---- Sandalwood, cedar, oakmoss,labdanum, hay absolute, patchouli ,vanilla and castoreum

Strength is 15% oils, 80% alcohol and 5% deionized h2o . Samples will be available Fri.11/30. Remember that this will need to age a while to smooth out. I'm only sending them out early to get feedback.

Cheers,
    James

It sounds just awesome. I can't wait!

I got a sample and the result is awesome, a very manly, bracing scent! Well done.

I hope this isn't prying to ask, but I'm curious if you have more that you could send as a sample. I'm going to PM you about this and your other offer later tonight while at work.

Also, if it's not a secret, would you mind breaking down the ratio of each individual oil? Having a sample to sniff and an actual ratio of ingredients would be great for a newbie like mysellf. I of course understand completely if you don't want to give out that kind of information.

The first variant of this I consider a train wreck. The cumin note took over the whole thing. I will post the pyramid for the second variant soon. It is much better and is the one yepyep is referring to. I used some synthetics in that one. I am beginning to like them more everyday , as they are much more predictable. As far as a sample goes, I have just bottled up the last of the ounce I made for yepyep. But if it is alright with him, I will pull a sample for you. Will send the breakdown of the ingredients and their proportions with your sample.

Of course it's okay to pull a sample. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!