Code of Conduct

Question Aquatic Hater's Aquatics?

It's common knowledge to most of us, but for some newer people it may bear repeating: Aquatic/marine/ozonic scents have their fans here, but on the whole they are likely the most hated category. The death of the art of perfumery made smell, noxious clouds of calone and other poorly-mixed synthetics polluting our urban centers, blah blah blah...

I know the chemistry's quite similar between many of them, and skin chemistry's everything with this obsession of ours. But surely there must be a few that stand out amidst the dross, even for the more ardent anti-aquatic Basenoters. Even if you wouldn't wear them yourself, maybe you'd recognize their relative quality in their category. Or something...

So I ask a serious question of all those who've found precious little to like about this category: Are there any aquatics you can stand, or even actually like enough to possibly wear yourself?
    Loves of Late: Agua Lavanda, Eau Sauvage, Gendarme, Guerlain Vetiver, Guerlain EdC Imperiale, Ivoire de Balmain, Kenzo PH, Mitsouko, Royall Lyme, Tabac Original

Default Re: Aquatic Hater's Aquatics?

I am not a hater, but, Paco Rabonne's eau reminds me a lot of ADG even though it's not classified as such. I wear this on weekends. But, I honestly do get tired of the ADG clones not because I despise the category, but, rather more the fact that my nose is tired of it and wish that a new and original aquatic scent will emerge.

I LOVE Erolfa. It is the only aquatic for me.
    Last edited by The Duke; 12th November 2007 at 07:48 PM.

Off-Scenter

I'm no great fan of the genre, but Erolfa, SIlver Mountain Water, Mare, and Aqua Motu do manage to hold my interest. There are also a couple of very crisp floral scents which, while not truly "aquatic," do fill a similar wardrobe niche for me: Dawn Spencer Hurwitz's Padme Lotus and Menard's L'Eau de Ryokuei.

Aquatics don't really gun my motor. But I don't really hate them - they actually smell kind of nice. They're intended, I think, to be pleasant fragrances that don't offend. And that's what they do just fine. But they're lightweight and bland, almost by definition, so I don't wear them too much.

For an exception - what I'm wearing right now, Mare. And no, it's not a horse, it's "sea" in Italian.

Smile Re: Aquatic Hater's Aquatics?

I agree with " The Duke". I don't like aquatics but Erolfa is the only one I can wear without having to wash it off right away. It is not my favorite Creed but It is the only Oceanic/aquatic I can stand to wear all day.

Rick
    For sale post

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=190169

" I wanna have my kicks before the whole s--t house goes up in flames"

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

While I'm also not a fan of the category, Erolfa transcends it!

I love this fragrance, aquatic or not.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Unless it’s all the nice young guys who smell just like clean t-shirts washed in Tide, I’m not sure what the common aquatics smell like.

I like Montale’s Sandflowers and Miller-Harris Fleurs de Sel if they count and as I go through them, I’m finding that Neil Morris has an incredibly deft touch with aquatic notes.

If my opinion, Creed's Erolfa is by far the best aquatic scent on the market. Aqua de Bulgari is not bad and Beyond Paradise for Men is interesting. Avoid Kenzo Pour Homme unless you want to actually smell like the sea-side - fishy, rotting weeds, salt, wet sand, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Cognoscento View Post
    Aquatics don't really gun my motor. But I don't really hate them - they actually smell kind of nice. They're intended, I think, to be pleasant fragrances that don't offend. And that's what they do just fine.
    I agree, and that said, there are just too many complex, deep, rich, and much more interesting fragrances out there for me to bother with aquatics IMHO. Besides, they last about 30 minutes on me.
    Last edited by bbobkc; 12th November 2007 at 08:40 PM.
    I have read in Plato and Cicero sayings that are wise and very beautiful; but I have never read in either of them: Come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laden.'' --Saint Augustine

“Hastiness and superficiality are the psychic diseases of the twentieth century, and more than anywhere else this disease is reflected in the press.”--Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Erolfa is it for me, too. Maestrale is the only other Oceanic scent that I love.

I did not consciously stay away from aquatics.

At first, I - like many of us - simply tested every fragrance I could find. I didn't know an Aquatic from a Woody Oriental (or my head from ......).

At this point, I have sampled almost all of the aquatics that Saks, Nordstroms and Sephora have to offer.

They are just not me. I certainly don't "hate" aquatics nor do I look sideways at someone who loves them. This is a big tent and there is room for all of us.

My wife loves Silver Mountain Water and I like it when she wears it. The only one that halfway tempts me is another Creed - Erolfa.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Montale's Fougères Marine is about the only one I can stand, though Herrera's Aqua isn't too bad. L'Eau Bleue by Issey Miyake is all right, too.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Wow.. i've really got to try this Erolfa stuff...

I like L'Eau par Kenzo, but it doesn't last long at all.

The only aquatic I found myself falling head over heels for is Profumum's Acqua di Sale.
    I hear only good things about Maestrale on here... so I definitely want to try that too.

Aquatics are nice, given the right time and place. There is really nothing like taking a dive in the ocean, the sea (or the pool), hitting the shower and then wearing a nice, clean and fresh scent. Aquatics really come in here.

The other day I noticed that someone in the vicinity smelled very nice. Upon a moment's inspection, I realized they he was wearing AdG, and you know what? It smelled just right; probably how it smells on Giorgio himself.

My favorite aquatics would have to be the following: Erolfa, Silver Mountain Water, Millesime Imperial (a very luxurious aquatic that just happens to be on my swap list), and on others, AdG.

So, I wouldn't say that I hate aquatics, but rather the aquatic revolution.

**On a side note, I know that Millesime Imperial was created for King Faisal of Saudi Arabia. Yet, he died in 1975. Does that mean that Creed produced a top notch aquatic in the 70's (or before)?? If so, that is pretty amazing. Any info on this would be really appreciated.
    You are not your perfume.

Bulgari Aqva is one of my favorite fragrances of all time. I've been wearing fragrances for 40 years. I also like Salvatore Ferragamo Subtil.
    Last edited by MikeFromManhattan; 12th November 2007 at 09:52 PM.

Good topic - perfectly it makes sense to have this type of subjects, we should'
    do one on vetivers as well.

Kenzo pour homme & L'eau par Kenzo are both great aquatics - the first melony and the second citrusy.

Erolfa of course, salty and nice.

Was also positively surprised by Herrera´s Acqua, definitely better than
    the lion´s share in this category.

/mmm

I live near the beach and I tend to wear Bulgari's Aqua when I go, especially out to dinners on the water, etc. It always just feels perfect for the scene. Salty, slightly floral, rich.

Basenotes Institution

Mare by Beth Terry Creative Universe
    Silver Mountain Water by Creed
    New West for Her by Aramis (not just for the ladies guys...amazing watermelon note)
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 12th November 2007 at 10:22 PM.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I personally don't get much of an aquatic feel from this one, but if you check out the reviews for Gai Mattiolo Uomo, a number of the reviewers do. Very good scent for the summer imo..

Amouage Arcus and Cirrus are the first ones I'll be going for this spring.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

I'm preaching to the choir, apparently, but my favorite is also Creed Erolfa. The synthetic effect that turns so many Basenoters off to most aquatics doesn't seem as prominent in Erolfa, to me at least.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 13th November 2007 at 12:10 AM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Is Creeds Royal Water considered an Aquatic? I like..I like a lot!
    Erolfa is one of my top five.
    Good thread.

akdeluxe
    Last edited by akdeluxe; 13th November 2007 at 12:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by akdeluxe View Post
    Is Creeds Royal Water considered an Aquatic? I like..I like a lot!
    Michael Edwards lists Royal Water in the 'Aromatic [fougere] - Rich' family rather than in the 'Water' family.
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 13th November 2007 at 12:58 AM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I'm typically not an aquatic fan.

But I do like L'eau d'Issey Pour Homme and (don't laugh) Sean John Unforgivable.
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Back to Black - By Kilian
    3) M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5) John Varvatos Vintage

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

I own one aquatic fragrance, which is L'Altra Follia di Aquarama. I find it horrible and synthetic in the top notes, but I can't imagine how well this one will smell once the weather warms up!

Erolfa and Calypso Marine are the only aquatics that I can take seriously. Marine really needs to be given more attention. I believe it's an Aquatic Chypre. Sillage galore and lasts forever. My favorite version of Erolfa is the shower gel, where I can get really aquatic.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 13th November 2007 at 02:36 PM.

I despise aquatics. That said, the only one I'll wear is Sea from Mugler's Le Parfum coffret. It reminds me of men's New West with aquatic notes. It has a bracing, briny element to it.
    Life is a banquet...and I got botulism! -- Me

Aquatics have their place though I must admit I don't wear them that much. I do enjoy them more so for their change of pace than anything. My aquatic list in order of preference:

Aqua de Bulgari - Pleasantly captures the salty Dead Sea
    Kenzo PH - A Japanese pond anyone?
    Davidoff Cool Water Deep - Mossy lake vibe
    Dali Laguna - an oriental/aquatic?
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Montale's Fougeres Marines and L'Eau Par Kenzo are the only two I like much. Bulgari Aqva is rather hard to warm up to, but I admire it for it's unabashed marine-ness. I wear it sometimes.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I cant fault L'eau D'Issey for its woody/marine qualities.
    And I wear my ST Dupont "L'eau" with much pride!

Cool Re: Aquatic Hater's Aquatics?

Quote Originally Posted by nthny View Post
    I live near the beach and I tend to wear Bulgari's Aqua when I go, especially out to dinners on the water, etc. It always just feels perfect for the scene. Salty, slightly floral, rich.
    Which is exactly the way I feel about EROLFA. Yes, I had to capitalize it, it's that good --in that environment. Away from the ocean, it loses its magic for me.

*sigh*

parfums*PARFUMS Series 4 Cologne: Vettiveru (2002) is a delightful sumer/light frag (though it hasn't the greatest longevity ) that somehow carries a marine note to it--Go figure.
    Yes, more then the Creed '48 which is mineralic, or the oil sheik's MI

Mare has great reviews here but to me it smells of Erolfa with an iodine band aid, have to pass.

Might as well mention two el cheapos that are a good bang for the money: Caroline Herrera 212 h2o and Iceberg Twice . . .

Then there's Gai Mattiolo Uomo-- a complex acquatic that gives the lie to the notion of acquas being boring. It's only 99.9% of them that give the rest a bad name.

Just go sailing in the Aegean or buy a mansion by the seashore--- and wear Erolfa.

See how easy life can be?

Cheers,

Mario
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 13th November 2007 at 07:39 AM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Thumbs up Re: Aquatic Hater's Aquatics?

IMO the best aquatic scent on the market ( the first aquatic, beach perfume, launched in 1965 and relaunched this year ) is VIVARA by Emilio Pucci. It is absolutely Marvellous.....

Red face Re: Aquatic Hater's Aquatics?

Quote Originally Posted by ROBERTO View Post
    IMO the best aquatic scent on the market ( the first aquatic, beach perfume, launched in 1965 and relaunched this year ) is VIVARA by Emilio Pucci. It is absolutely Marvellous.....
    I really want to sniff it!, meu amigo!
    Read my perfume reviews at: http://perfumenoparatodos.blogspot.com/

Digital art portfolio: www.dreamlandpostcards.com

Why all this praise for Erolfa?

I don't get it.

It's an okay, sophisticated scent with the typical Creed feel about it, but I think L'Eau D'Issey, Halston Unbound, Kenzo Homme, L'Eau Par Kenzo, Nautica original, Nautilus Aqua, Nautilus Black Marlin, Nautilus Blazer, Gant Indigo, Insense Ultramarine and Hilfiger Athletics are all better aquatic and marine scents - far more interesting and definitely more masculine.

I do own Erolfa. I think it's better than Agua Brava and Aqua Quorum.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Why all this praise for Erolfa?

I don't get it.

It's an okay, sophisticated scent with the typical Creed feel about it,..........Renato
    for me it is the associations that Erolfa conjures up. I have smelled many aquatics, but Erolfa is the only one that truly captures the smell of the ocean for me. It is salty, briny, ozone, and fresh. It really is a transportive scent. Most aquatics are happy and invigorating, but I find that Erolfa is a more somber and reflective ocean scent; it is like sitting on the beach at night with a brisk chill in the air, as I stare into the stars. There are clouds in the sky and there is a hint to the air that it may soon rain.

Quote Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
    for me it is the associations that Erolfa conjures up. I have smelled many aquatics, but Erolfa is the only one that truly captures the smell of the ocean for me. It is salty, briny, ozone, and fresh. It really is a transportive scent. Most aquatics are happy and invigorating, but I find that Erolfa is a more somber and reflective ocean scent; it is like sitting on the beach at night with a brisk chill in the air, as I stare into the stars. There are clouds in the sky and there is a hint to the air that it may soon rain.
    After reading that, I had to spray some Erolfa on my hand. Interesting what you say about associations. Oddly enough, that's why I like Kenzo Homme so much (even though those around me aren't too fond of it) - it transports me back to the beach.
    Renato

Givenchy's "Blue Label" is a good one for me.

I freaking hate aquatics. If someone is wearing L'Eau d'Issey on the train I will get up and move. Calone disgusts me.

Still, I am smitten with Bond Coney Island, and I love Virgin Island Water (though not sure that counts as an aquatic).

Quote Originally Posted by ROBERTO View Post
    Roberto,
    That sounds interesting... I've never heard of that before. And I like older stuff! Good idea!

Along with Madridbatabidd, I say obrigado!
    Dave

Smile Re: Aquatic Hater's Aquatics?

Quote Originally Posted by madridbatabidd View Post
    I really want to sniff it!, meu amigo!
    Hi madridbatabidd don´t worry, bcause you will sniff it shortly, meu amigo !
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Cognoscento View Post
    Roberto,
    That sounds interesting... I've never heard of that before. And I like older stuff! Good idea!

Along with Madridbatabidd, I say obrigado!
    Dave
    Hi Cognoscento, follow my advice and try VIVARA . Then you can tell me OBRIGADO !!! Tudo de bom para ti !
    Last edited by ROBERTO; 13th November 2007 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

When I want to smell next to nothing with class I apply Pasha Fraicheur.

Im not an aquatic hater.

But even aquatic haters would probably like Bulgari Aqua

Hermès - Eau des Merveilles. Not really an aquatic but aquatic none the less

Mass market wise, Aqua de Bulgari is my favorite aquatic. I'm not a huge fan of them either because they lack a certain 'edge' for me, but this one does it right. It's clean without being bland, reminds me of the sea without having a seawood/detritus smell, lasts all day, works well especially in the heat and humidity of the summer, always garners me a compliment or two, etc. It's a good workhorse scent for me.

Erolfa is my favorite 'niche' aquatic by far. I grew up on the water around alot of old boats, and it reminds me of the smell of the wood that many of them had. This scent is interesting to me for two other reasons as well:
    1: I can't smell it after three hours but other people around me can. It's one of the few scents that my nose becomes accustomed to.
    2: I get compliments from older women on it all the time, but it seems like anyone under 25 can barely smell it. That one I really don't get.