Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Parure

Default Re: Parure

The plum note in Parure is a real lesson in how fruit notes were handled by the masters before the term "fruity floral" or fruity anything, really - became an equivalent for "mediocre". It is similar to how plum is inserted into Silences by Jacomo - not sweet, not jammy, but green and almost astringent - think of how a piece of plum peel tastes - it's bitter, right? Parure to me has always been a dusk scent - I always associate the slipping of daylight into darkness with it, similar to the way others feel about L'Heure Bleu. I believe the large splash bottle of Parure that I used up was in eau de cologne concentration, although back in the '80s when I purchased it, Guerlain's edcs were of a strength comparable to today's edts. I also went through a small edp spray, but not in the gold-cage bottle. I almost bought a bottle of Parure in extrait back in the '80s, with that fantastic stopper made of grey glass shaped like a wind-whipped flag or an ocean wave. I truly wish I had acted on that thought while it was still possible!
    Last edited by Jardanel; 29th October 2009 at 06:06 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Honestly, if I hadn't read the Basenotes reviews, I would never have called the note I smell in Parure is plum. It smells fruity, but like you said it has that acidic, varnish-like quality to it. Of course, now I smell it and my mind/nose registers: plum!

Today, wearing it again, I am again amazed at the similarities to Chamade.

I'm still not sure if I like Parure.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 29th October 2009 at 06:13 PM.
    "Realize deeply that the present moment is all you will ever have."

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Shalimar by Guerlain

For those looking:

I found a 1oz bottle of the EDT at Palm Beach perfumes for around $99. The only other Guerlain they have is Shalimar.
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~