Code of Conduct

Thumbs up Thumbs Up for SMN Ginestra

Last Sunday, I went to Takashimaya NYC to browse their frags. I like browsing frags at Takashimaya because nobody minds how many you try but not because they don't care. Once you ask for assistance, they are very attentive and polite. Out of the blue, an SA approached me and without saying a word handed me two paper strips that she had sprayed. I tried the first one and wasn't too impressed, it's good but smells like a typical Italian cologne. Then I tried the second one. It smells really good so I asked her which one is it. It is Santa Maria Novella Ginestra (Broom). I've tried SMN's before but I've never heard of this one and I don't think it's something I would've tried anyway since I don't know what Ginestra is and it's English name is not something I would associate with smelling good. I liked this one a lot so I bought a bottle on the spot. I since have learned that Ginestra is also known as Scottish Broom grass and its flowers are intense yellow in color. It is not a very common ingredient in perfumery. I did a search here on the board and only one Basenoter (Griff) has consistently raved about Ginestra. Anyway, if you guys have the chance, you should at least try it and don't let the English name fool you. The SMN website classifies it as a green floral scent. Is anyone here familiar with this flower and is there any other perfume/cologne that you know of that has it as the main ingredient? BTW, the first one the SA asked me to try was SMN Russian Cologne.

Default Re: Thumbs Up for SMN Ginestra

Quote Originally Posted by lsp_NY View Post
    . . . . Is anyone here familiar with this flower and is there any other perfume/cologne that you know of that has it as the main ingredient? . . . .
    Ormonde Jayne Ta’if
    Christian Dior Dune

scentemental

I'm quite interested in trying this fragrance: does anyone know a place I could order a sample from?

Scottish Broom grass and its flowers are intense yellow in color. It is not a very common ingredient in perfumery. I did a search here on the board and only one Basenoter (Griff) has consistently raved about Ginestra. Anyway, if you guys have the chance, you should at least try it and don't let the English name fool you. The SMN website classifies it as a green floral scent. Is anyone here familiar with this flower and is there any other perfume/cologne that you know of that has it as the main ingredient? BTW, the first one the SA asked me to try was SMN Russian Cologne.
    Broom is an invasive weed where I live, but it's still very pretty and the scent is lovely when it blooms in spring. There's a park in my city almost entirely over-grown with it, and the rich and buttery scent carries on the breeze some distance. I know broom absolute is available, but there doesn't seem to be much in the line of broom solifleurs.

Yes! I first experienced SMN Ginestra three months ago and just loved it. I didn't need a new fragrance at the time but the scent played on my mind (as they do!) and now I have my own bottle. A "green floral scent" is a fair description, but there's more to it than that. My nose is not as sophisticated as most of the members here so I'll leave it to others to try and pin this one down.

Thanks to Isp_NY and Galamb_Borong for the background info. The name Ginestra was meaningless to me and the SA couldn't shed any light even though she was/is Italian. Quite by co-incidence I was reading a book on the English Monarchy and found out that Henry I chose Geoffrey Plantagenet - for purely political reasons, of course - as the husband for his daughter, Matilda. Geoffrey's nickname derived from a sprig of bloom, or Planta Genista, that he liked to sport in his helmet. They had 3 sons, the oldest of which would become Henry II. Thus was coined the surname of one of England's greatest dynasties, which ruled the country for the rest of the medieval era, although Plantagenet was not adopted as a surname until the mid 15th century. More here: http://www.englishmonarchs.co.uk/plantagenet.htm

Who would have thought an interest in perfumes could broaden one's knowledge in so many ways! SMN Ginestra - a regal fragrance? For sure!
    An exquisite pleasure had invaded my senses, something isolated, detached, with no suggestion of its origin. And at once the vicissitudes of life had become indifferent to me, its disasters innocuous, its brevity illusory - this new sensation having had on me the effect which love has of filling me with a precious essence; or rather this essence was not in me it was me. (M. Proust - Remembrance of Things Past)

I just put this on for the first time a few hours ago, and I must say, it's quite an unusual take on the flower ( though I can hardly say there's a usual take on it; this is the first broom soliflore I've tried ).
    The top notes are an intense green, cooly floral scent. The broom is there, but it's married to something like muguet at first. Gradually the nose-tingling character of broom becomes more prominent, and the green turns to an almost fresh-vegetable scent. There's also an odd note I can't quite name; almost coniferous. I think I detected it in French Lover, but I can't seem to name it.
    This is a rugged, hill-by-the-sea fragrance, where a broom note perches atop dry green notes. It smells masculine to my nose, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to a man: there's no powder, and remarkably little sweetness.

Looking forward to trying it some day. Am crazy about my SMN Pot Pourri, no matter what its detractors here have to say about it. Perhaps Ginestra will be another similar surprise.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Purchased a bottle of Ginestra today after sampling quite a few SMN scents. An excellent warm weather fragrance.

How would you folks say Ginestra compares to GIT? I ask because I was in an SMN shop recently, and a bunch of guys were sampling stuff and made the comparison. It hadn't occurred to me before, but afterwards I could see what they meant. What do you reckon?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by WillC View Post
    How would you folks say Ginestra compares to GIT?
    I don't think they're alike at all.

I love GInestra, so different from other grassy scents - very natural smelling yet it manages to be extremely unique. It doesn't smell typically fresh (like IMO, GIT does) but yet it evokes a warm freshness.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

If any of you guys have tried both Ginestra and Dior's Dune, could you remark on the relationship please? Are they very much alike?

I live in an area where the broom plant was introduced in the 1890's and escaped from gardens to become a near-native plant. There are vacant lots and hillsides covered with it. The bees seem to love it big time - they buzz around in ecstasy when it's in bloom. A hillside of broom that's been exposed to warm sunshine all afternoon gives off the most incredible fragrance.

The only other perfume that I know that uses "broom" as one of it's notes (apart from the already mentioned Dune (the women's one)) is :

L'Artisans ~Cote d'Amour , which has quite a bit of it in it's heart accord. (Though with quite a few other floral notes too)

But if you would like a perfume that is a "soliflore" made entirely of just pure all-natural Broom Absolute (Genet Absolute) ... Profumo.it makes a lovely one (named ... surprise, surprise : "Broom" ) ... (And it smells exactly like the scent coming off these glorious "yellow flowered bushes")

Here is a link : http://www.profumo.it/perfume/prodotto.asp?pid=5063
    Last edited by Sybarite; 1st October 2009 at 04:14 AM.

Damn it guys! This sounds great, and what do ya' know TPC doesn't carry it. Just my luck!
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Damn it guys! This sounds great, and what do ya' know TPC doesn't carry it. Just my luck!
    Call Lafco. They sent me a sample for free.

Ginestra! I love the plant, love the SMN fragrance. Ginestra (spartium junceum) is a member of the large genus, Ginesta (Broom)

Ginestra is like a weed in parts of Italy. I first came across it in Spoleto on the hills leading up to the top of Montelucco.

The yellow flower form is most prevalent. It's scent is intoxicating and the spires make lovely cut flowers.

I have found it growing in places here in San Jose.

The fragrance is similar to the scent of the flower but not nearly as sweet (Ginestra smells a little like freesias only greener). This is my favorite SMN.
    Griff

Quote Originally Posted by Moneysuckle View Post
    Call Lafco. They sent me a sample for free.
    You guys seem to have it really good there in the US, with all that excellent "customer service", and free samples being thrown about, and even "sent for free". ~ You lucky b****rs!

I am yet to receive a free sample, after countless phone calls and requests to countless places. And have never received a free sample sent out to me, ever !

Even just "over the counter" free samples, the few and far between odd ones that I have managed to get my hands on, ... I tell you it would be easier "extracting teeth", and way less of a mission. (LOL)

Oh I have always wondered about SMN Ginestra. Do you find it quite masculine or could a woman carry it off?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by 3xasif View Post
    Oh I have always wondered about SMN Ginestra. Do you find it quite masculine or could a woman carry it off?
    It's easily unisex. A woman SA in the SMN boutique (in LA) actually tipped me off to it. She said it was her favorite from the line. When Ray and I smelled it, we both loved it and kept coming back to it, as one of the favorites from their huge line.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Thumbs up Re: Thumbs Up for SMN Ginestra

I just got my free sample in the mail today from Lafco and it is absolutely lovely. I was inspired to hunt down for broom (ginestra) fragrances after purchasing an Italian soap bar a month ago. Yes it is floral, but in an open-field green sort of way. The scent is similar to freesia - delicate and clean. This would be the perfect fragrance to wear after a shower. Broom is a winner. :-)
    Last edited by adpny; 25th September 2010 at 07:20 PM.

OMG! I can't believe it. I just called Laftco and a pleasant lady named Kelly spoke with me. I said I was referred by basenotes. They are actually shipping samples to me today and I thought they only shipped domestic. Awesome!! Can't wait!!
    Last edited by TeeTee; 5th April 2011 at 05:05 PM.

Broom absolute is used in some floral blends. Like absolute of narcissus this ingredient that can smell quite different from the actual flower. The hugely concentrated nature of absolutes can reveal facets of floral notes that one would not necessarily associate with the fresh ingredient - for example, the leathery or animalic thread that comes through when absolute of narcissus is used. I guess one could think of it as the "mob nature" of the flower as opposed to the individual. I am most familiar with broom in Nuit de Longchamps by Lubin, a very elegant floral with a complex aura.

I just received the free samples! I can't believe they sent it across borders and I didn't even have to pay for shipping. Amazing people at Lafco. Highly recommended!

Quote Originally Posted by TeeTee View Post
    OMG! I can't believe it. I just called Laftco and a pleasant lady named Kelly spoke with me. I said I was referred by basenotes. They are actually shipping samples to me today and I thought they only shipped domestic. Awesome!! Can't wait!!
    Good job Tee

Thanks SoGent . So I am following up on my experiences so far. I got four samples. I don't know what broom flower smells like but the Ginestra smells like something I have smelled so many times before, partly in a lot of men's cologne.

I am really enjoying the Marescialla! I sprayed it this morning and forgot about it then minutes later, I started following a very beautiful scent that led me to my wrist lol! I might be falling in love with this one . It is very multifaceted. I still have Russian and Pomegranate to try but those can wait!

In my day job I'm a wholesale flower broker/ importer and Ginestra from Italy is a great filler flower that gives a great scent. It comes in natural white and yellow and is often tinted pretty colors like pinks, lavenders, oranges, purples. Because the stem has a nice shape, with single stems it is a good one to design with.

During early spring we also get some white and pink from So. California.

The smell is light but a pretty fragrance. I'll have to check this one out.
    TOP 5
    1. Montale Wild Aoud
    2. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    3. Montale Red Vetyver
    4. Montale Aoud Lime
    5. Le Labo Vetiver 46

Creativity is more than just being different. Anybody can plan weird; that's easy. What's hard is to be as simple as Bach. Making the simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.
    Charles Mingus