Code of Conduct

Default Thinking of going back to the future: Classics from earlier times

Instead of spending a ton of dough. I was thinking going old school with some colognes I wore in the early 80-'s. Anyone got opinions of:

1) JHL by Aramis
    2) Paco Rabanne
    3) Tuscany or Tuscany Forte by Aramis
    4) Devin by Aramis

Sam

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Thinking of going back to the future: Classics from earlier times

I like all four of those - but my true heart will always fall for Devin. It smells so clean and masculine and it has this sparkling quality to the middle notes that really come off in the sillage when you wear it. Highly recommend this.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 13th November 2007 at 02:14 AM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I am only familiar with Paco Rabanne and Tuscany, but I have nothing but love for both. PR is one of the best smelling fragrances there is, when applied correctly (it is some pretty powerful juice).

I would highly recommend them.
    You are not your perfume.

Off-Scenter

I wore Devin and both Tuscany variants in the 80s myself. They're still really nice scents, and don't seem all that dated to me. JHL is superb, though I think it works better on dressier occasions.

I love reading the reviews. Some choice things I learned about Paco Rabanne:

"It was way better than any of the Axes."
    "Wear it: At home when friends pop over for a BBQ"
    "An absolute classic!"
    "If this is a classic, then I had better get my nose fixed."
    "Like an alley kat sleeping in a discarded box of detergent. A counterintuitive mix of soapy and animalic, the latter bolstered by a rather pissy rendition of honey."

And one of my favorite fragrance descriptions ever...

"It reminds me of the old Green Adidas aftershave, deodorant and bodywash (I think it was Sport, not sure, but this was before they overhauled the adidas line), combined with liquid soap, an Irish aftershave that I dont remember the name of, or may possibly never have existed, the cheap-as-chips green smelling deodorant that you can buy from and drug store or dime store, and the very slightest hint of Jicky at the beginning, with a lot of coumarin."

I can honestly say I've never smelled this one. Will do so soon.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Post Re: Thinking of going back to the future: Classics from earlier times

Quote Originally Posted by finsfan View Post
    Instead of spending a ton of dough. I was thinking going old school with some colognes I wore in the early 80-'s. Anyone got opinions of:

1) JHL by Aramis
    2) Paco Rabanne
    3) Tuscany or Tuscany Forte by Aramis
    4) Devin by Aramis

Sam
    1) JHL In my top three.
    2) Paco Rabane Don't like the top,but love the base.
    3) Tuscany/ Etruscan Not overly complex,but a fav. of mine.
    3) Tuscany Forte Couldn't pull this one off. (Maybe,a skin thing?)
    4) Devin Preferred 900, or Portos.

Am I correct in that JHL and Tuscany Forte would be difficult to source, as they are discontinued?

Tuscany Forte's not worth the bucks, IMHO. Great, yes, but not THAT great. (For that kinda money, go for the Patou pour Homme.) Regular Tuscany's very nice, but very strong on the lavender. (Don't over-spray unless you want a sillage monster on your hands, btw.)

Avoid Paco Rabanne unless you like soapy frags. Again, a light hand does the trick just fine with this one.

JHL? A must in any Oriental lover's collection -- a true American classic. Very formal, though.

Devin? MikePerez is right -- a must for anyone who likes clean, masculine, woodsy frags. GREAT casual frag.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 13th November 2007 at 01:17 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

You guys were smellin' good back in the day...I was wearing Blue Stratos if I was lucky!

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    You guys were smellin' good back in the day...I was wearing Blue Stratos if I was lucky!

There is NOTHING wrong with blue stratos . I remember it so clearly, probably because I used to sit around sniffing it.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    There is NOTHING wrong with blue stratos . I remember it so clearly, probably because I used to sit around sniffing it.
    It sort of haunts me...fresh memories of grade school.

Its funny, I always thought it was a cheap, local thing. It wasn't until I read Luca Turin's rant about it that I even realized it was known globally!

Am I correct in that JHL and Tuscany Forte would be difficult to source, as they are discontinued?
    I have attached a recent link about JHL being available at Dillards and Bloomingdale's

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...t=jhl+dillards

I bought mine online - great juice - definitely in my top ten!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    It sort of haunts me...fresh memories of grade school.

Its funny, I always thought it was a cheap, local thing. It wasn't until I read Luca Turin's rant about it that I even realized it was known globally!
    I had forgotten about it until I read that article, but he reminded me of how I used to LOVE the stuff. I can recall the smell of it now.
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 14th November 2007 at 04:36 PM.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Alas I have new bottles of both PR and JHL and they are, I'm afraid, mere shadows of their former selves. ***sigh***

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Nordstrom San Francisco Centre has both in limited quantities "Because some customers ask for them," to quote one of the SAs.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca