Code of Conduct

Default new and obessed with fragrances then bought 4.

So, i was bored one day and i need to look for christmas gifts, and doing research for the best frangrance i stumbled into this website and got obsessed with fragrances. Must be my artist side with mixing things. lol. So anyways i went from not knowing anything to being too educated for my own good. I have some questions and want to share my opinion of some fragrances i purchased.

First i ordered Ulysses by Vicky Tiel, it was discounted online for 20. I recieved it and I got to say i was slightly disappointed but thought it was good, just not for me. It seemed too flowery and formal for me. It strongly reminded me of the bellagio hotel then it reminded me of car freshener, then a few hours later it just reminded me of generic vanilla warmth.

second third and fourth i got at the same time, M7 by YSL, Vetiver by Guerlain, B*Men by Mugler.

These were much more interesting, M7 was Disappointing for me, i didnt understand all the rave reviews from basenotes, to me as a 22 college guy, it seemed too old, too formal and somewhat too much like a perfume shop smell that went a bit powdery. The initial spray smell reminded me of rubbing alcohol

Vetiver and B*men were both awsome, at first B*Men reminded me of chinese medicine, then after using it for a few days it grew on me and i couldnt stop smelling it, its an excellent smell that is very warm, masculine, and intimate because of its spicy-intrigue. Great for cold weather and night time

Vetiver, from the first smell i could tell that i was going to be one of my favorites year round, i just dont know how to describe it other than a clean-fresh- i-showered-in-the-oasis waterfall

now im just curious about Angel/ A*men , people hate it or like it, how is it compared to B*men, because i really like that scent.

Also cause i have so many fragrances, has anyone sprayed more than one kind? I kind of did two sprays of B*Men and M7 and it turned out very interesting, it was B*Men but more tame and formal without loosing the warmth and masculine-intimateness

Default Re: new and obessed with fragrances then bought 4.

Hello and welcome to basenotes!!

I think that it is harder to smell the top notes of fragrances when first starting out because the scent it so strong. I never could and thought that everything smelled the same when first sprayed on me. But now I have developed my nose to cut through that initial intensity and actually enjoy the beginning of a smell. I think that you might be experiencing that. Some scents do smell the way you described. I don't get those smells from your particular scents but we all have different tastes.

In comparison to B*Men, A*men is warmer and has a distinct burnt chocolate smell to it, but no spice.. Some people hate it but I really enjoy it, even more so than B*Men. That is the primary difference. It is worth trying out.

I assume you bought all of these scents blind so you didn't exactly know what you were getting into. I am not surprised you don't like M7 but I think you will learn to like how unique it is. It is probably nothing like any other fragrance you have smelled, which I'm sure you heard a lot of in the reviews you read. It will grow on you...

Well, enjoy you scents and let us know if there are anymore you plan on buying. We might be able to help you find some more. We are all addicted...

A*men smells like dead bodies to me.
    Just felt like i should pass this along.

Vetiver is an all-time favorite of mine. I will always own this one. I have also sampled and enjoy M7 and A*men. I don't remember much about B*men right now.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL View Post
    A*men smells like dead bodies to me.
    Just felt like i should pass this along.
    This is a rather awful connotation that stopped me in my tracks... surely there are less shocking ways to describe the unpleasantness of a scent?
    Sniff and let sniff.

B > A

the alphabet's rules can go to hell!

Cool Re: new and obessed with fragrances then bought 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercatorn View Post

Vetiver, from the first smell i could tell that i was going to be one of my favorites year round, i just dont know how to describe it other than a clean-fresh- i-showered-in-the-oasis waterfall
    Now that's one of the best descriptions of Guerlian Vetiver I've ever heard!

I'm not a fan of M7 either. (that's the mild version, the stronger one is in my review) Granted, it is adored by many to yummy heavens here at BN.
    Well, like Groucho Marx said, one man's meat is another man's Persian---

Live and let live.

I can't stand A*Men--way too heavy and strong, one of the least favorite ones you'd want someone to wear around you in a crowded elevator.
    Someone once suggested spilling a cup of de-caf on your shirt, going out where they are laying tar on the road and saving yourself the trouble of buying it.

Still, you may find you really like it.
    It shouldn't be too hard to find at many dept. stores
    Call ahead and ask for the men's fragrances dept--they should let you test it.
    Just be sure to test it on your skin, not on a card, and give it some time before passing judgment.

What is like A*Men but better imho is Rochas Man--sadly, not too available at the local dept stores.

Given your like for B*Men, you might as well test Antaeus by Chanel and Bulgari Black while you're at the mall--just don't buy blind !

And welcome to the madness.

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.