Code of Conduct

Default My Newbie Basenotes Questions

Hey guys I love this community and I'm already addicted. But I have a few newbie questions...

1. What is the best way to store your wardrobe... I see some people have theirs in refrigerators and this is the first time ive seen this?. How does this help?

2. What do you think about imitation fragrances? I have had a lot of good luck with mine. I don't buy the dollar store kind but I have seen some of the member with some and they dont like them but I really do. Plus im mooching off my parents though college and and super cheap but love smelling good.

3. Thanks to everybody here I now know how to apply my fragrances the right way and I dont rub any more but what about putting cologne on your clothes?

Thanks for your help

Default Re: My Newbie Basenotes Questions

Hi, welcome to basenotes.

1. Best way to store is somewhere dark and cool - fragrances deteriorate in light and heat (shame coz some bottles look very pretty in sunlight!)

2. I don't mind imitations if they are good ones. The only one I own is an old Stitch one imitating Tommy Girl. The only reason I don't buy the real thing is because the concentration is very low and I find this imitation lasts much longer. I do not count it in my BN wardrobe though and rarely use it. I know it's tough relying on parents though!

3. Well usually I spray to my wrists, crook of the elbow or neck (I find wrists don't last as long though). Splash bottles or miniatures I usually tip against the skin so that a small amount splashes onto the skin.

Hope that helps!

Imitation fragrances are acceptable, when they are god of course. Pierre Cardini offers a good selection of fragrances "inspired" on other more prestigious ones. I personally think that Unbound is actually better, less chemically harsh, than Aqua di Gio. Still there are original fragrances that can be bought very cheap and some others that have no imitation and you really have to open the wallet and perhaps, save some money.

Quote Originally Posted by z71ECUPirate View Post
    Hey guys I love this community and I'm already addicted. But I have a few newbie questions...

1. What is the best way to store your wardrobe... I see some people have theirs in refrigerators and this is the first time ive seen this?. How does this help?

2. What do you think about imitation fragrances? I have had a lot of good luck with mine. I don't buy the dollar store kind but I have seen some of the member with some and they dont like them but I really do. Plus im mooching off my parents though college and and super cheap but love smelling good.

3. Thanks to everybody here I now know how to apply my fragrances the right way and I dont rub any more but what about putting cologne on your clothes?

Thanks for your help
    Welcome, Swashbuckling Pirate!

Fragrance storage - you'll hear all kinds of ideas here. The general idea is to keep them cool, and out of direct sunlight. For fun, take a look at people's collections, some of which have nearly Extreme Home Makeover storage methods.

Imitations... there are a number of types of these, from fairly close imitations, like the aforementioned Unbound, all the way to "perfume oils", which try to duplicate the smells with varying degrees of success. I bought a bunch of oils at one point, and a few of them were really good, and are quite wearable. I could see wearing them if you don't have a lot of cash. What I would prefer to do would be to buy some decants from BN members... they won't be too expensive, you get the real juice, and they'll last quite awhile, unless you're practically drinking it. It also helps you develop your taste without spending killions.

Where to apply - this is totally an individual thing. I stopped spraying on my neck cuz it made me get a rash, probably from shaving. I'm probably the only person here who just puts it on the backs of my hands. Some spray the chest, some the arms, etc. etc. Spraying on clothes may make the scent last longer per application... maybe some garments would not like having cologne on them, but it's probably fine most of the time.

Have fun!
    Dave

1) A cool, dark place. Personally I leave mine in the bottom shelf of my linen closet in the original boxes and decant into smaller spray bottles that I get as decants. (I usually get a decant before I get a whole bottle) This is not only to keep them out of the light, but I live in earthquake country and I don't want to lose my bottles to anything weaker than an 8.0.

2) I haven't bought imitations, but if they smell good to you then go for it.

3) I apply one or two sprays to my chest before dressing. I'm kind of phobic about having this wafty sillage going all over the place, especially since I like some stuff that's fairly outre. As for spraying clothing, it can damage or stain some fabrics so I don't do that.

4) Welcome!

Thanks so much everybody. That helps a lot. Yeah I really like my imitations but if I spend some time here I know I'm going to have to get some real stuff.

I will keep up with you guys and any other basic advice you guys could give would be great.

z71

Quote Originally Posted by Cognoscento View Post
    I'm probably the only person here who just puts it on the backs of my hands.
    I sprayed Platinum Egoiste on the back of my hand awhile ago. One squirt left so much that my hand was dripping. I haven't tried doing it since! Although it was nice how you notice the smell when your hand is near your face.

I thought we debunked the 'do not rub' myth a while back. I spritz on my wrists very closely to avoid overspray to the floor, and I do not wait for the juice to trail down my arm and dry in natural rivulets. I suppose if you rub hard and fast you might generate frictional heat that would hurry the top notes along, but I think that's about it. And of course, you wouldn't want to rub with the palm of your hand, only to wash it off later.
    Please, spritz responsibly.