Code of Conduct

Default Comprehensive List of Iris Scents

I thought it would handy to have a thread listing iris scents (or scents that use iris as the predominant note) focusing on the men's or unisex scents (debatable of course). A good resource for those just learning, and also for those scents that often slip our minds. Please contribute..I'm sure I forgot lots!

1. Iris Gris (Jacques Fath) - probably not going to find this on the shelf anywhere, but the granddaddy of iris scents could not be omitted

2. Iris Silver Mist (Serge Lutens)

3. Iris Bleu Gris (Maitre Parfumeur)

4. Iris Ganache (Guerlain) - iris gourmande

5. Infusion D'Iris (Prada)

6. Dior Homme (Dior)

7. Iris Noble (Acqua Di Parma)

8. L'Homme Coeur (Divine)

9. Bois D'Iris (The Different Company)

10. Iris Pallida (L'Artisan) - limited edition

11. Iris Poudre (Frederic Malle)

12. Iris Taizo (Parfumerie Generale)

13. Hiris (Hermes)

14. Irisia (Creed)

15. Iris (Santa Maria Novella)

16. Iris 39 (Le Labo)

17. Eau D'Iris (Heeley)

18. 28 La Pausa (Chanel)

19. Terre D'Iris (Miller Harris)

20. Bois Farine (L'Artisan) peanut butter & iris

21. Citta di Kyoto (Santa Maria Novella)

22. Equistrius (Parfum d'Empire)

23. No. 19 (Chanel)

24. Ysatis Iris (Givenchy)

25. Orris (Tauer) - no longer in production

26. L'Heure Bleu (Guerlain)

27. Apres L'Ondee (Guerlain) - violet & iris

28. Cuir D'Iris (Parfumerie Generale) - iris & leather

29. Bois D'Argent (Dior)

30. Dzonhka (L'Artisan Parfumeur)

31. Passage No. 8 (Dior)

32. Paprika Brasil (Hermes)
    Last edited by Dane; 10th January 2008 at 03:00 PM.

Default Re: Comprehensive List of Iris Scents

Nice list sofresh. Thank you. I would add Bulgari Extrême pour Homme
    Last edited by Apis; 13th November 2007 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Apis View Post
    Nice list sofresh. Thank you. I would add Bulgari Extrême pour Homme
    I don't see Iris listed in the notes?

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120271.html

Ah, ok...would you classify it as a predominently iris scent? I'm gonna have to track it down and test it!

It is not an iris dominated scent. The basenotes is made of wood, musk and I detect a certain earthyness that I take for the iris note. It is actually through Bulgari PH Extrême that I developed an interest for the iris note.

Quote Originally Posted by Apis View Post
    It is not an iris dominated scent. The basenotes is made of wood, musk and I detect a certain earthyness that I take for the iris note. It is actually through Bulgari PH Extrême that I developed an interest for the iris note.
    I'd like to keep the list to predominently iris-based scents...

Indeed, Prada's new fregrance wears quite nicely on men! Once again marketing has doen it's wonder... in stores, at least up here in the North of Europe, Infusion D'Iris is placed among women fragrances. By the way, is Bulgari's Thé Rouge equally unisex or am I pushing it?

Quote Originally Posted by michailG View Post
    Indeed, Prada's new fregrance wears quite nicely on men! Once again marketing has doen it's wonder... in stores, at least up here in the North of Europe, Infusion D'Iris is placed among women fragrances. By the way, is Bulgari's Thé Rouge equally unisex or am I pushing it?
    I'd wear the Prada iris in a heartbeat...it should have been marketed as unisex, but its not a surprise. I'm sure it'll only be so long before the boys realize how good it really is.

The Rouge is definitely unisex...I'd say the white tea is the most feminine of the three, but all are wearable by a man. Again, something that the stores put on the shelves in the women's section that should be on both.

Ok sofresh, you seem like a knowledgeable nose... for some time now I have been looking for the Dry citrus perfume that will not turn sweet or too floral... and that would linger for a few hours. Any suggestion to try?

Please, add Cittá di Kyoto (Santa Maria Novella). notes: Iris, Lotus.....

Off-Scenter

An argument could be made for adding Equistrius by Parfum d'Empire.

Notes: Orris (iris), violet, rice powder, chocolate, ambrette, sandalwood, vetiver, grey amber.

A great list, but separate the good from the great ones. You must have given some critical thought to which are the best Iris men's scents?? I would like to know the opinions of some of the basenotes wise guys on the best iris!? I know some I like more than others but Iris is a difficult scent to find a great fragrance with for some reason. My least favorite on the list is Iris Taizo from Parfumerie Generale - the spices in this one just blast past the subtlety of the iris. Many iris scents just get too powdery to work well for a men's fragrance. But it is a wonderful note - iris.

My three favorite Iris scents are (1) L' Homme Coeur by Divine because of its juniper green twist, and (2) Bois d' Argent from Dior (not listed?) due to the dryness and sweet woodiness of it, and (3) Iris Silver Mist by SL - very natural and stimulating.

It's interesting to me that Dior released Bois d' Argent - a great fragrance! and then followed with a mass market release of Dior Homme - a less good fragrance which tries to do too much by combining the iris with leather, IMO.

what are your favorites?

I didn't include my personal opinions on each because I wanted to keep the list itself objective...nothing stopping anyone from stating theirs though!

Iris Silver Mist is clearly my favourite if you noticed my signature...I also love Bois D'Iris, and was pleasantly surprised with Infusion D'Iris. I'm also a big fan of Bois Farine's iris note, Chanel's 28 La Plausa is beautiful on a man or a woman, and Hiris is lovely, although a bit too feminine for me to wear personally.

My least favourites would be Iris Bleu Gris (waaaay to powdery), Iris Ganache (too....weird), Iris by Santa Maria Novella (too strong and medicinal).

I've yet to, but am hoping to try Divine's L'Homme Coeur, Iris Pallida by L'Artisan, and would DIE to try Iris Gris by Jacques Fath

You might add Cuir d'Iris by Parfumerie Generale. I haven't tried it yet, but my sample arrived in the mail this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    You might add Cuir d'Iris by Parfumerie Generale. I haven't tried it yet, but my sample arrived in the mail this morning.
    I hadn't even heard of that one??? Do share what you think!

ADP - Iris Nobile
    warning : classified feminine
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    ADP - Iris Nobile
    warning : classified feminine
    #7 on the list

MPG's Iris Bleu Gris is my favorite iris. Hiris I love also. I also love the iris in Annick Goutal's Duel.

Wish I knew more of the ones on the list.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    MPG's Iris Bleu Gris is my favorite iris. Hiris I love also. I also love the iris in Annick Goutal's Duel.

Wish I knew more of the ones on the list.
    That's the idea of the list...to know what to try!

Have you tried Iris Silver Mist? I don't think any iris-lover can go on living without at least trying it once.

Basenotes Institution

Great idea sofresh - where the hell were you about six months ago when I went-a-huntin' for iris scents and found out that a) some of them I really hate b) I like the 'green' ones and c) iris can be very manly..?

My fav: Le Labo Iris 39

A fellow Basenoter is sending me a sample of Iris Silver Mist by Serge soon. Mostly because of you sofresh...your positive comments about it prompted me to give it a whirl.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 14th November 2007 at 12:48 AM.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Iris Silver Mist is at the top of my list for sure!

Great list too, by the way.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Iris Silver Mist is at the top of my list for sure!

Great list too, by the way.
    I'm curious to hear if anyone's tried Iris Pallida. Its easily the most expensive on the list (295/100ml). I tried the most recent orange flower harvest scent by L'artisan, and it was nice...but not 3 bills nice.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    I'm curious to hear if anyone's tried Iris Pallida. Its easily the most expensive on the list (295/100ml). I tried the most recent orange flower harvest scent by L'artisan, and it was nice...but not 3 bills nice.
    Gerald wears it - perhaps he'll see this thread and comment.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

I hadn't even heard of that one??? Do share what you think!
    I put some on an hour ago, and so far the impression has been quite positive.
    It opens with a strong iris note supported by a leather note of nearly equal strength. After a while a spicy, incense-ish blend emerges, reminiscent of the incense notes of Tauer's L'Air du Desert Marocain. Though the iris note is dominant, this is a very earthy scent and a lot less sweet than some leather fragrances I've tried - notably Cuiron and Dzing! - so I wouldn't class this as a "floral" scent.
    Unfortunately, I'm entirely new to iris scents, so I can't give any comparisons.

Edited to add: You might not have heard of it because it's not part of Parfumerie Generale's usual selection; apparently you have to write them and ask for it. I got my sample from The Perfumed Court.
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 14th November 2007 at 01:33 AM.

I guess one can add Diptyque - The Essence of John Galliano room spray. Very heavy on the smoke, but also nicely backed up by prominent iris. Also, now discontinued Andy Tauer - Orris. Lovely fragrance with smoke, roses and iris. Guerlain - l'Heure Blue as well. The crayon like note in it is a combination of helitrope and iris and that part is quite dominating.

Nice thread. Love the iris.

i just realized how much i love iris
    wishlist:
    Chanel - Cuire de Ruissie and Eau de Cologne
    Penhaligons - Quercus, Castille, and Raquets
    Dior -Eau Noire, Dior Homme Cologne, Dior Homme Intense, and Dior Sweet Sun
    Frédéric Malle - Angelique sous la pluie and Eau d'Hiver
    L'Artisan - l'eau de l'artisan and bois farine
    Hermès - Elixir des Merveilles, Jardin sur Nil, and Hermessence Confret.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Great idea sofresh - where the hell were you about six months ago when I went-a-huntin' for iris scents and found out that a) some of them I really hate b) I like the 'green' ones and c) iris can be very manly..?

My fav: Le Labo Iris 39

A fellow Basenoter is sending me a sample of Iris Silver Mist by Serge soon. Mostly because of you sofresh...your positive comments about it prompted me to give it a whirl.
    I like the green ones too...I think you'll really like ISM, it has a sharp vegetal opening, but then smooths into a dry, papery iris with floral undertones. Beautiful.

I didn't add Andy Tauer's to the list because its no longer available, and although L'Heure Bleu is absolutely stunning, I wouldn't classify it mainly as an iris scent...but I'll add it if everyone disagrees with me.

Isn't roomspray a bit strong to use on your person? I've never tried.

I like Iris Pallida very much, very warm and earthy iris, the high price is of course debatable.

I think we have two more heavy irises missing: even though they're in the "feminine" category, if some guy wears Dior Homme, he can surely wear any of these 2 scents:

Chanel No.19 and Ysatis Iris

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux View Post
    I think we have two more heavy irises missing: even though they're in the "feminine" category, if some guy wears Dior Homme, he can surely wear any of these 2 scents:

Chanel No.19 and Ysatis Iris
    I get no iris from no. 19 either (although I wish I did)...but I do wear it and thinks its very much wearable by a man. I haven't tried the Givenchy, but will look for it.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascella View Post
    I like Iris Pallida very much, very warm and earthy iris, the high price is of course debatable.
    Well, I just bought an SL bell jar through one of the members here (on proxy), and it equalled out to about the same price per ml as the l'artisan...but for some reason, I'm just willing to pay that for Serge...but not for L'Artisan.
    Last edited by Dane; 14th November 2007 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I recently splitted one bottle of Iris Pallida, that's about what I can afford .

This review and the comments beneath it probably have the most information on Cuir d'Iris, if anyone's interested:
    http://perfumeposse.com/2007/10/04/n...t-all-samples/

Quote Originally Posted by Ascella View Post
    I recently splitted one bottle of Iris Pallida, that's about what I can afford .
    A bit off topic...but I"ve yet to take part in a bottle split. Who gets to keep the bottle and who gets a decant bottle???
    --------------------------------------
    This review and the comments beneath it probably have the most information on Cuir d'Iris, if anyone's interested:
    http://perfumeposse.com/2007/10/04/n...t-all-samples/
    Ah, ok...and its a parfum format too? The review claims it to be mostly leather...what do you think?
    Last edited by Dane; 14th November 2007 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

A bit off topic...but I"ve yet to take part in a bottle split. Who gets to keep the bottle and who gets a decant bottle???
    Usually the one organizing the split gets the original bottle, unless else is decided among the splitters, so it's up to the organizer to decide, since there is a small amount of work to spray everything into the decant bottles .

Ah, ok...and its a parfum format too? The review claims it to be mostly leather...what do you think?
    Well, I posted my thoughts on it earlier in this thread, but I would definitely say it's an iris scent rather than just a leather scent, it's just that the iris here isn't blended with a more typical green or floral background. Let's put it this way: I put it on about fifteen hours ago now, and iris is the note that's lasted.
    As far as concentration goes, I'm pretty sure it's in parfum format.

L'Homme de Coeur: an elegant, sweeter, less tobacco-laden version of The Dreamer, but at four times the price. Delicious? Yes. For the price difference, though? This philistine will reach for The Dreamer.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Well, I posted my thoughts on it earlier in this thread, but I would definitely say it's an iris scent rather than just a leather scent, it's just that the iris here isn't blended with a more typical green or floral background. Let's put it this way: I put it on about fifteen hours ago now, and iris is the note that's lasted.
    As far as concentration goes, I'm pretty sure it's in parfum format.
    I did read what you said earlier...just wanted ellaboration.

I'm going to have to track some down...you said you can only get it by emailing them? I've had some bad experiences with TPC lately, so I'd rather not take that route if I don't have to.

doesnt Gucci Envy (the original one for women) have iris? i like that one.. i usually top it with some woody scent to taper down the 'feminine-ness'
    “Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Lanvin Arpege Pour Homme?
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

I've had some bad experiences with TPC lately, so I'd rather not take that route if I don't have to.
    It would probably be best to write Parfumerie Generale themselves and ask them about it. I'm hesitant to say more because I don't want to be responsible for anyone getting a bottle of something they don't want.
    I might second Bois d'Argent by the way: it doesn't smell like the flower iris, but it smells intensely of orris root, with a bit of honey to sweeten it.

Basenotes Institution

I didn't add Andy Tauer's to the list because its no longer available
    I have a small sample of Orris by Andy Tauer at home. I'm saving it...

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

I have a small sample of Orris by Andy Tauer at home. I'm saving it...
    I added it for good merit...I hear its stunning. Savour it!

I'm looking forward to getting some Bois Farine for christmas...mmmm...doughy iris.

Add - Passage #8 from Collection Particuliere by Christian Dior - iris-orris and violet with slightly gourmand undertone.

Ava Luxe Midnight Violet is very good, but also not pure iris...
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Gerald wears it - perhaps he'll see this thread and comment.
    Ah, an iris thread and I almost missed it...
    Iris is one of my favourite notes, so the last year - which was very prolific with perfumes that focus on it - was hard work for my nose

Iris Pallida is a straight, clean and pure iris scent. Although it is quite green, it also pronounces the powdery aspects of the iris root, so it is somewhere between SL Iris Silver Mist and Heeley's Iris de Nuit. Very wearable and definitely unisex. For the high price one should expect a bit more strength (although it's an EdP): it stays very close to your skin, but its longevity is quite good.

PG's Cuir d'Iris is an interesting take on iris, too, which is dominated by the leathery note and I don't get too much iris after two hours. Yet it is one my favourites in the PG line and I'm considering to buy a new bottle as I've finished my first one already.

These are my personal top ten iris fragrances:

1. Heeley Iris de Nuit (green, cool, somewhat transparent, but long-lasting with a slight fruity touch)
    2. L'Artisan Iris Pallida
    3. PG Cuir d'Iris
    4. Prada Iris (extrait)
    5. Frederic Malle Iris Poudre, the powder monster
    6. SL Iris Silver Mist
    7. PG Iris Taizo (very different from Cuir d'Iris. Taizo is sweeter and quite heavy)
    8. Le Labo Iris 39 (which has to be applied moderately, as it develops strength and deepness and tends to overpower)
    9. Prada Infusion d'Iris
    10. Annick Houtal Heure Exquise

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
    I got a sample of this (from Comdiva) and now I'm a little afraid to try it - you all know powder and I don't get along.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 10th January 2008 at 05:22 PM.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

I got a sample of this (from Comdiva) and now I'm a little afraid to try it - you all know powder and I don't get along.
    I found it too aldehydic, and then a lot of "nothingness"...I think there are some fragrance notes that I'm unable to smell.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
    Ah, an iris thread and I almost missed it...
    Iris is one of my favourite notes, so the last year - which was very prolific with perfumes that focus on it - was hard work for my nose

Iris Pallida is a straight, clean and pure iris scent. Although it is quite green, it also pronounces the powdery aspects of the iris root, so it is somewhere between SL Iris Silver Mist and Heeley's Iris de Nuit. Very wearable and definitely unisex. For the high price one should expect a bit more strength (although it's an EdP): it stays very close to your skin, but its longevity is quite good.

PG's Cuir d'Iris is an interesting take on iris, too, which is dominated by the leathery note and I don't get too much iris after two hours. Yet it is one my favourites in the PG line and I'm considering to buy a new bottle as I've finished my first one already.

These are my personal top ten iris fragrances:

1. Heeley Iris de Nuit (green, cool, somewhat transparent, but long-lasting with a slight fruity touch)
    2. L'Artisan Iris Pallida
    3. PG Cuir d'Iris
    4. Prada Iris (extrait)
    6. SL Iris Silver Mist
    7. PG Iris Taizo (very different from Cuir d'Iris. Taizo is sweeter and quite heavy)
    8. Le Labo Iris 39 (which has to be applied moderately, as it develops strength and deepness and tends to overpower)
    9. Prada Infusion d'Iris
    10. Annick Houtal Heure Exquise
    Great List, Gerald!
    I`m envvying your Prada Iris extrait!!!
    (and Cuir d`Ambre too)
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Basenotes Institution

I found it too aldehydic, and then a lot of "nothingness"...I think there are some fragrance notes that I'm unable to smell.
    Tried the Iris Poudre by Frederic Malle yesterday during the day. I found it wildly feminine - the top notes reminded me strongly of Anais Anais (maybe it was the hyacinth or the lily?). I actually found it less powdery than I expected to. The iris was green, and it had that quality dry down that most Malle scents do. But I cannot image owning a full bottle of this at the prices of Malle scents.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Tried the Iris Poudre by Frederic Malle yesterday during the day. I found it wildly feminine - the top notes reminded me strongly of Anais Anais (maybe it was the hyacinth or the lily?). I actually found it less powdery than I expected to. The iris was green, and it had that quality dry down that most Malle scents do. But I cannot image owning a full bottle of this at the prices of Malle scents.
    I only smelled aldehydes in the topnotes...like White Linen. It was nice, but not iris-y enough for me.

Should be mentioned: Biehl Parfumkunstwerke mb02. Refined and incredible elegant.

All of my favorites are listed here already - No. 19, 28 La Pausa, Hiris, Iris Silver Mist, and Iris Poudre.

Im surprised to hear some people get no iris from No. 19 - to me, thats an iris fragrance if ever there was one.

Iris Poudre might possibly be my favorite. And its not that I love powder - on me its not powdery, its more aldehydic/green but incredibly elegant. I just adore it.

The Prada extrait is very straightforward Iris, but the lasting power does not justify the price for me, unfortunately.
    "To be irreplaceable, one must always be different!" - Coco Chanel

visit: WWW.SNIFFAPALOOZAMAGAZINE.COM

Thank you for this. As I've become progressive enmeshed (obsessed?) with fragrance I've found that I love the iris note. Roots, leaves, flower..the whole kit 'n kaboodle. (Also fig, vanilla, sandalwood, rose, amber, musk, bergamot....you get the picture.....LOL) Now I'm going to print this list with all additions, and like a good novice perfumista, check them off as I've tried them...!! It just doesn't get much more fun than that!!

Creed Green Irish Tweed is missing (florentine iris).

My number one fragrance has a predominant iris note: Dior Homme (I guess that makes iris my favorite note). This is a very interesting list, thank you. The next item on my to-try list is Infusion d'Iris.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Chanel itself lists the following composition for its No. 19:

Top notes: Grasse neroli, Iranian galbanum, hyacinth note
    Heart notes: May rose, Florence iris, lily-of-the-valley note
    Base notes: Virginia cedar, guaiac wood, Haitian vetiver

They categorize the scent as floral (galbanum) - woody (iris) - green (rose) and describe it as "a bold bouquet of white and green flowers." They also refer to "the powdery fullness of iris from Florence, a rare and precious flower."

This is excerpted from the brochure entitled "Chanel Fragrance 2007".

They categorize the scent as floral (galbanum) - woody (iris) - green (rose) and describe it as "a bold bouquet of white and green flowers." They also refer to "the powdery fullness of iris from Florence, a rare and precious flower."

Sur la Plage

Creed Love in Black
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBoy View Post

I have to correct:
    floral (rose), woody (iris, but mostly cedar, vetiver and guaiac) and green (galbanum)
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Two more for the list:

Hilde Solani - Iris

Ormonde Jayne - Orris Noir