Code of Conduct

Question Question for Creed Acier Aluminium owners

I recently got a bottle of Acier Aluminium in a swap deal. I have a fresh sample from Les Senteurs in London (official Creed dealer) from before that I have done a side by side comparison with. The thing is that they smell EXACTLY the same apart from the first 15 seconds.
    When I give a full spritz on my arm from the bottle I got, I can feel a very off putting smell, but only for 15 seconds or so. From my sample I do not get this at all. I'm really surprised by how fast this smell disappears, it's not like the top notes are off, because then it would atleast hang on for a few minutes wouldn't it?. We're talking about the first 10-20 seconds. Could it have something to do with the alcohol or some other non-fragrant ingredient that needs a few seconds to wear of or is this really a part of the fragrance?'
    Could it be that this same smell also is in my sample but I don't detect it because my sample is very small and I'm only able to dab from it?
    So, is this the infamous Acier Aluminium "metall note" or something else? Like I already said, it only lasts for about 15 seconds, most definately less than half a minute. After this they both smell the same, WONDERFUL!
    I'm sure some of you who've had bottles of AA could help,
    Thanks alot!
    Last edited by abg1234; 13th November 2007 at 07:26 PM.
    For swap:
    1. 90-95% full 2.5 oz bottle of Creed Orange Spice
    2. 99% full 1.6 oz bottle of Kenzo pour Homme
    3. 90% full 4 oz bottle of Creed Millesime Imperial

Looking for: GIT, Baie de Genièvre, Idole de Lubin, Chergui, decant of FM Carnal Flower, decant of vintage Tabarome

Default Re: Question for Creed Acier Aluminium owners

Yes truly wonderful a fragrance.
    Don't worry at all. Your bottle is in perfect condition. The off-putting smell - for the first 10 secs or so - is what I've always experienced with all off the AA bottles I have emptied.
    To me, it's always reminded me of baby diapers LOL.
    I've attributed this to the ambergris element, although ambergris has a different stench that usually fades into a magnificent dry-down, which I also get in AA's dry-down.

I wouldn't know about your sample vial, but maybe that's the case with it because of the synthetic ambergris that's used in its new formula, since genuine ambergris is not allowed in perfume making anymore?
    Last edited by Killer_Vavoom; 13th November 2007 at 07:41 PM.

I have had various samples/decants/bottles and have found some variation in them in general. Moreover, I have found that when the fragrance is new, from a full bottle, the initial top notes are much stronger but after even a couple of weeks when there is some air in the bottle this drops down considerably, even when perfectly stored. I also think this fragrance is particularly susceptible to bad storage and will only ever buy this from very direct sources like department stores.

The current bottle I have, bought from selfridges in 2006 is the best ever, not sure if the ambergris is synthetic or not? I don't think it is illegal to use beach harvested ambergris?

Still smells amazing though .
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    I have had various samples/decants/bottles and have found some variation in them in general. Moreover, I have found that when the fragrance is new, from a full bottle, the initial top notes are much stronger but after even a couple of weeks when there is some air in the bottle this drops down considerably, even when perfectly stored. I also think this fragrance is particularly susceptible to bad storage and will only ever buy this from very direct sources like department stores.

The current bottle I have, bought from selfridges in 2006 is the best ever, not sure if the ambergris is synthetic or not? I don't think it is illegal to use beach harvested ambergris?

Still smells amazing though .
    Yeah, I think Creed uses natural ambergris to some extent in their fragrances, anyhow, so when you give a full spray to the hand and quickly smell it before even the alcohol has evaporated, don't you feel a foul smell within the first 10 seconds? I thought Killer_Vavoom cleared that thing up, but now you confused me again. The bottle looks very fresh and like I earlier said it smells E-X-A-C-T-L-Y like my sample from Les Senteurs after a few seconds, both in the top notes, middle notes and drydown.
    Last edited by abg1234; 13th November 2007 at 07:58 PM.
    For swap:

Looking for: GIT, Baie de Genièvre, Idole de Lubin, Chergui, decant of FM Carnal Flower, decant of vintage Tabarome

OK, you want me to do it don't you?

Back in a minute................
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

reviews

OK, you want me to do it don't you?

Back in a minute................
    Haha, that would be cool. Just remember to give a full whooooosh =)
    For swap:

Well I have a slight cold but I think I know what you mean. Thing is, I don't find it all unpleasant, more interesting . For the first ten seconds or so the fragrance is chaos. It's like it all mixed up before it settles into top middle and base, hold on , I'll try again, I have my bottle here....

I get a strong harsh smell of alcohol followed by an intensified version of the aluminium/banana accord and some amber then the sweetness arrives as the alcohol dries and finally it settles (after 20 seconds) into its the persistent accord. Its a bloody weird fragrance but I love it .

reviews

Well I have a slight cold but I think I know what you mean. Thing is, I don't find it all unpleasant, more interesting . For the first ten seconds or so the fragrance is chaos. It's like it all mixed up before it settles into top middle and base, hold on , I'll try again, I have my bottle here....

I get a strong harsh smell of alcohol followed by an intensified version of the aluminium/banana accord and some amber then the sweetness arrives as the alcohol dries and finally it settles (after 20 seconds) into its the persistent accord. Its a bloody weird fragrance but I love it .
    Yep, that's the one, now that I think about it, it kind of smells like aluminium, really cold and harsh, but not quite pleasant to me, however you can't judge a fragrance for the first 10 seconds, the alcohol and various other chemicals need those seconds to vaporize.
    I usually wait half a minute before smelling my wrist when I spray something on to let the alcohol disappear. I am positive that my bottle is very fresh.
    On another note, I don't experience a dramatic change in the notes that some people mention in the reviews, I find AA to be quite linear actually.
    Anyhow, hats of to this masterpiece, a 5/5 star fragrance for sure and probably Creeds best 'classic' scent apart from Vintage Tabarome, but they're not of the same type so a comparison might seem unfair.
    For swap: