Code of Conduct

Default So your toes/feet are not cold??? I've always wanted to know.

Why is it when the weather gets cool/cold and you put on your sweaters, jackets, coats or any outerwear some of you can still wear flip-flops or sandals?...I just don't get it. So your telling me that your toes/feet do not get cold? Now I know there must be some explanation..so please enlighten me...LOL.

I see this mostly when I travel..but occasionally I see it here as well...

Of course the most rediculous example was during the Christmas season one year as I was exiting the Times Square Toy-R-Us in Manhattan. This guy outside had on this ankle length wool coat and on his feet he had flip flops. The kicker was that there was snow on the ground and it was freezing outside. My nephew looked at me with his eye brows knitted together and said "Did I really just see that?" I looked around because I was sure there were cameras around for someone's crazy reality show.

I do mostly see this as a female trend though.

Of course if there is some scientific or biological explanation I would love to know.

So izza curious...please help me out with this....LOL

Just wanna know.....

Otto
    Last edited by Otto; 13th November 2007 at 09:37 PM.
    Giving Life My All And Improving Every Day

Default Re: So your toes/feet are not cold??? I've always wanted to know.

I see that quite a bit as well. I don't really have a problem with it, but it does make you wonder how and why they didn't give consideration to the weather.

Some young people just seem to be unaffected by the cold regardless.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

My older brother is one of these people. He'll wear flip flops year round, no matter the weather and we have some really cold winters. The reason why......it just has to do with his own natural preference and comfort. He never really liked shoes & socks and my mom would tell us stories about how she would dress him up as a kid, and they would go shopping. In the middle of the day, she'd see him missing a shoe and pair of socks. My brother would take it off and throw it somewhere. He never really like them.

Sometimes, if I have to run outside quickly to get something, I won't wear anything at all...on my feet. I'll walk into a 7/11 barefooted. Just lazy, and I'm going out quickly.

Though, what I don't get is girls who wear those really tiny miniskirts when it's freezing outside..but they compensate by wearing those huge eskimo boots that I think look warm. I really don't get it, but I guess it has something to do with fashion versus comfort and function.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 14th November 2007 at 01:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    Though, what I don't get is girls who wear those really tiny miniskirts when it's freezing outside..but they compensate by wearing those huge eskimo boots that I think look warm. I really don't get it, but I guess it has something to do with fashion versus comfort and function.
    This is an excellent trend. As a straight male, I love it. End of story.

Back on topic, my feet are extremely cold all of the time, so I can't stand not to wear at least socks pretty much all the time.

Thrax

My socks and boots dont leave my feet until it's time for bed.

Quote Originally Posted by LeMâle View Post
    This is an excellent trend. As a straight male, I love it. End of story.
    I personally don't like the look, I guess I'm not really into anything trendy, but my major questioning was...how do these girls stay warm in that getup. I'm very shocked at times , because I'm freezing outside wearing layers when they seem to be okay with it. As I said before, probably has to do with looking fashionable regardless of anything.

I hate flip flops.
    Honestly, I only have a pair becuase shoes were impractical for the beach, and I was considering a large foot tattoo.

I don't mind girls following these fashion trends. The colder they are, the better! Someone's gotta keep them warm ::

Quote Originally Posted by somethinpositiv View Post
    I don't mind girls following these fashion trends. The colder they are, the better! Someone's gotta keep them warm ::
    I second this. Me... foot fetish? Nah... well just a bit

I didn't mean feet, I meant keep them warm in general. But I suppose it could go both ways, kind of like Black Cashmere. Or Kingdom.

Flip-flops are for the beach or the shower. On a freezing day they are nonsense. The only bigger nonsense is socks under flip-flops which are totally ridiculous. JMHO.

I'd rather see flip flops in january than socks with sandals any time of the year!

Unless you're actually ON a mountain, hiking up it, eating granola with your tye-dye t-shirt with a screen-printed howling wolf on it...
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    I'd rather see flip flops in january than socks with sandals any time of the year!

Unless you're actually ON a mountain, hiking up it, eating granola with your tye-dye t-shirt with a screen-printed howling wolf on it...
    Socks and sandals....please do not go there..........HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Peace,

Otto
    Last edited by Otto; 14th November 2007 at 04:01 PM.
    Giving Life My All And Improving Every Day

Quote Originally Posted by Otto View Post
    Why is it when the weather gets cool/cold and you put on your sweaters, jackets, coats or any outerwear some of you can still wear flip-flops or sandals?...I just don't get it.
    I don't get it either! If my feet are cold, it doesn't matter how bundled up the rest of me is. I'll be miserable and freezing unless my feet are toasty. And it works the other way as well - if my feet are nice and warm, the rest of me is happy - which is why the boots/miniskirt thing is possible for me, and probably how it works for other girls too.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I always liked the oldsters in south Florida sporting dress knee sox with sox garters, dress shoes and then topped off with Bermuda shorts..
    Last edited by kbe; 12th December 2007 at 01:41 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

I don't get the flip flop thing in the dead of winter. Is that a style now? Dang I'm getting old. As for bundling up.....your core body temp can still stay the same if its warm enough to compensate for the feet being bare. Of course, the body constricts capillary flow thereby cutting off the blood supply so your core body temp is not affected. So from a biological standpoint it is do-able in the same way that some men walk around with bald heads but bundled up from neck down. My whole thing is that I just don't find it "cute". Oh and yeah if these people were hiking outside for hours on end in their flip flops they would inevitably get frost-bite.......but most of us are not in that survival situation. One other thing I find attractive even more so is when women wear their pajamas to the store, or to drop their kids off at school. Hmmmm. I picture them getting a flat on the side of the cold rainy road and having to deal with it in their pajamas. Well maybe if they were in the mini-skirt outfit mentioned previously atleast then SOMEONE would stop to help them. That's one way to look at things. Sheesh guess I better learn how to change a flat tire.....immediately.
    Always remember you are unique; just like everyone else.

Yes I'm guilty of wearing my "flipflops" all year round - it's what I put on when I'm in a rush. Then I find myself walking through wet grass, forget about it and wear them the next day through the wet grass again... do I ever learn?
    Generally winter over here doesn't get colder than 0 Celsius though. Yes my feet get a little cold but I often wear them with jeans that are slightly too long for me, so covering a lot of my feet.

I wear them all the time too, though not nearly as often in Winter. Like Jilsy, I put them on when I'm in a rush. Plus I wear them most days in hot weather because they're comfy, cool and easy wearing.

My feet tend to get really cold in the Winter, and I just can't deal with them being that cold. I wear my ugg boots a lot on the cold weather, along with my other assorted collection of boots. Don't worry, my uggs are pretty stylish - almost knee-length, pink, with fur trim and criss-cross ties. And ALWAYS with socks or they just get mangy! I can't quite do the miniskirt and furry boots thing. I have to wear some stockings with the outfit. I do think that stockings can look even more attractive that bare legs sometimes, especially black ones.

I never understood how people walk around with flip flops at winter time. Despite being a cold-resistant person, my toes are always cold for some reason. And I mean freezing. Even with socks (even double socks one time) and shoes on. I think it's some kind of blood circulation problem in the feet, and I had a doctor tell me to increase Vitamin C intake to handle that.