Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for male evening scent....

I'm looking for a new scent and I figured I could get more accomplished by just asking first.

I want something that can be worn for evening wear that has sort of an oriental opening similar to that of a cartier declaration or vera wang for men. However, I want something more complex and longer lasting.

I'd like it to be elegant and confidently masculine without the old world punch like a van cleef/antaeus. Meant to be worn in urban, lounge/bar settings and for winter/fall.

I want decent lasting power.

A few scents whose description intrigued me thus far are: Diptyque Philosykos, M7, and Tea for Two.

I like fig, I like woods, tobacco, some spice (possibly a light licorice/Ouzo smell) and maybe a little vanilla/chocolate like smell.

I'm don't know all the proper terminology but just describe a smell I'm looking for and will go sample once I have a few suggestions.

Thanks!

Fragrances I already own: Kiton Men, Bois Du Portugal, Taborome Millisieme, Millisieme Imperial, L'anvin Homme, Cartier Santos Concentree, Van Cleef pour Homme
    Last edited by NicoNij; 13th November 2007 at 11:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Looking for male evening scent....

Quote Originally Posted by NicoNij View Post
    Meant to be worn in urban, lounge/bar settings and for winter/fall.

I like fig, I like woods, tobacco, some spice and maybe a little vanilla/chocolate like smell.

Thanks!

How about Burberry London? The only question about it is the lasting power, but it does have wood, spice and tobacco.

I love Bois du Portugal but you may or may not regard that as old world like the other 2 you mentioned. Guerlain Heritage would fit a similar description.

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Post Thanks / Like

Philosykos wouldn't go be a nighttime scent imo
    How about Noir Epices by Malle?

Post Thanks / Like

I like fig, I like woods, tobacco, some spice (possibly a light licorice/Ouzo smell) and maybe a little vanilla/chocolate like smell.
    Sounds like Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin to me...

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

M7 is really nice and would be a great choice. I'd also recommend that you try Bvlgari Black.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Please try Black Orchid by Tom Ford. It's marketed for women but many men wear it - but it either 'works' for you or it doesn't...its a very unique scent.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Looking for male evening scent....

Give Havana a try. Versitle frag. Can dress up,or down, Egoiste, is another frag. that is equally as versitle. These two, I think you'll find to yor liking,and are never offensive.

I second Dennard, check out M7 and Bvlgari Black. Also look into Montale Black Aoud.

Arpege Pour Homme

Pi by Givenchy

The Dreamer by Versace

Xeryus Rouge by Givenchy

Blue Sugar

L'homme by YSL

Vera Wang by Vera Wang

Desire by Dunhill

Armani Code

Burberry London

These are my votes..
    Last edited by J.Riv; 14th November 2007 at 02:40 AM.
    I'm so fo sho' it's no facade/ Stay out of trouble momma said as momma sighed/ For her fear her youngest son be a victim of homicide/ But I gotta get you out of here momma.. Or I'm gonna die..Inside...So either eay you lose me momma/ So let loose of me!

Post Thanks / Like

L'Instant PH
    Polo Double Black
    Carlos Santana for Men

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think you'll like Philosykos. It's really green, and gets a little foody after about an hour. Tea 4 Two might be your best bet as far as sophistication. M7 is a really deep fragrance, but is a little to rich for some people.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Off-Scenter

Ditto the recommendations for Noir Epices and Havana (if you can find it), and another vote against Philosykos. As good as it is, it ain't no evening scent. Also consider:

Santal Noble
    L'Homme Sage
    Mechant Loup
    Fou d'Absinthe
    Czech & Speake No. 88
    Eau Lente
    Avignon
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 14th November 2007 at 04:40 AM.

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to add L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme, Escada Pour Homme, and ST Dupont Noir to the suggestions here.

Post Thanks / Like

M7 is quite good.

Consider also Egoiste, and also Allure Homme.
    Cacharel Nemo would work, as would the original John Varvatos.

If you want something with serious punch, very rich and long-lasting,
    and just smelling great, skip the Philosykos and go for Diptyque's Eau Lente
    instead.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone...I am excited about m7 (does anyone know if they sell samples of this..or at least smaller bottles?) as well as other recommendations. I will try as many of the fragrances as i can get my hands one. I recently went to bloomingdale's and was given two samples that i thought smelt nice. one was victor & rolf antidote and the other was kiton black. Both seemed pretty light and didn't seem like they'd last long but the vicotor rolf did smell unique.

Does anyone know of an almond and tobacco smelling fragrance that errs on the more masculine side?
    Last edited by NicoNij; 26th November 2007 at 12:19 AM.

Try Antaeus
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

You might want to try Salvatore Ferragamo pH - but just give it a little time before going out. I would spray 1/2 hour at least before, but once the heart notes and base starts coming out... it's very nice!
    "Faites des bÍtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Why So Serious?
    Post Thanks / Like

Yang by Jacques Fath.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Creed Spice & Wood
    5. Bond 9 Harrods Oud

Post Thanks / Like

Opium eau de parfum homme
    YSL

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Looking for male evening scent....

Quote Originally Posted by NicoNij View Post
    I'm looking for a new scent and I figured I could get more accomplished by just asking first.

I want something that can be worn for evening wear that has sort of an oriental opening similar to that of a cartier declaration or vera wang for men. However, I want something more complex and longer lasting.

I'd like it to be elegant and confidently masculine without the old world punch like a van cleef/antaeus. Meant to be worn in urban, lounge/bar settings and for winter/fall.

A few scents whose description intrigued me thus far are: Diptyque Philosykos, M7, and Tea for Two.

I'm don't know all the proper terminology but just describe a smell I'm looking for and will go sample once I have a few suggestions.

Thanks!

Fragrances I already own: Kiton Men, Bois Du Portugal, Taborome Millisieme, Millisieme Imperial, L'anvin Homme, Cartier Santos Concentree, Van Cleef pour Homme

Have you smelled Antaeus? Some consider it decadent despite those spicy woods. . . . I see you have Tab Millisime which is half hip-urban and half safe and boring but guraranteed not to offend. Ever give Vintage Tab a sniff? No, I don't recommend it blind, if Van Cleef and Arpel's is too much of a punch this might be a knockout, though I can't tell you the number of women who find this a 'light' frag and compliment it like crazy.

You might like M7, though I'd advise a small sample buy.
    Imho, it's the best scent for young teenage girls to spray on their pillows at night while crying themselves to sleep, pining for true love, though it does enjoy an almost fanatical following here in Basenotes.

I see why you want Orientals---you might do well with the supposedly pedestrian Bulgari Black, as mentioned. I'd match it againt the 'sophisticated ' frags you own.
    The true discontinued Cartier is another story--too long and too sad . . .

The suggestion of Havana (good luck finding it) has, I think great merit, as well. I'd add Salvador by Dali, but that's even tougher to find; though woods abound.

Hm.. cdg Sequoia? Creed's mint-woods Selection Verte?

Or go Latin in the winter with Minotaure or Roma?
    Nor should we forget the more northern Cacharel.

These may be your best bets.

I assume you've already tried Geir (?)

MPG's Santal Noble kicks ass, but you may find it too heavy . . .

An embarassment of riches. Good luck in your hunt.

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

I second
    Salvatore Ferragamo
    YSL Opium and M7
    Lolita Lempicka
    Burberry London
    Guerlain L'Instant
    Cacharel Nemo

Also would like to add Hanae Mori PH and Armani Emporio Night

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't get any more "evening" than Van Cleef and Arpels PH and Alamut by Lorenzo Villorezi.

Post Thanks / Like

well this is my quote for saturday night " night is long and the wallet is short ",well ok,this is my fauvorite for night time:

IMPERIAL JADE
    EAU NOIRE DIOR
    MOLINARD POUR HOMME II
    SPORTISSIMO GALIMARD
    LAGUNA
    #TOP 5#: Antico Caruso, Penhaligons Racquets,Creed BayRhum Vetiver,Domenico Caraceni,Castle Forbes 1445

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: Looking for male evening scent....

My best 3....

L'Instant Extreme Guerlain
    Gucci Envy
    M7

It doesnt get much better than these!!

.................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............

Tiffany for Men is my evenings out scent. Very elegant.

M7
    Chanel Egoiste
    KL Homme.